New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Bugbear in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: Magic the Gathering XX: KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANS!!!

Legion is +X/+X, Overlord is tutor and mind control

2. - Top - End - #242
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

A note about Overlord - be careful about using it against opponents with Control Magic effects. That second ability can be a real killer when turned against you.
    ithilanor on Steam.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Firbolg in the Playground

Anyone have any advice about how to kick a Human Horde deck up a notch?

My playgroup is used to playing against my singleton Dragon Horde deck. (We use my variant where if the Horde were to have access to an outlet for infinite mana it uses the outlet 1d20 times instead. Because does it really need more than 20 uses of Dragon Roost per turn?)
    That one has Apocalypse and Worldfire and a few other nasty nasty surprises so its kind of Horde Magic on challenge mode.

I tried building a Human Horde as a gentler more classic Horde deck, less OP more grind through the minions. But it turned out to be woefully underpowered.

I did build it as a singleton too, which I now believe was a mistake. So I intend to edit it for multiple copies.
    It also seems like we never topdeck enough token creatures. (The deck currently stands at 60 tokens to 40 real cards.)
    More boardwipes could help too but I don't really want this thing to become Dragon Horde 2.0, then again without flying and with the vastly reduced average token toughness that is unlikely to happen.

Thoughts, suggestions, critiques?
    (Can't post decklist right now but if there's interest enough I can try to put it up later tonight or Sunday.)

4. - Top - End - #244
    Ogre in the Playground

Hi guys, I'm looking for some causal advice. I recently started to play Magic again after getting out around Onslaught. I know Khans is out right now, but I've never been a fan of tri color decks, so in search of 2 colored decks I happened across the Ravnica guilds. Are any of the guilds actually still playable compared to current decks in a causal environment. Any help or suggestions about the topic would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    DnD Me
    Spoiler
    Show
    Neutral Evil Human Sorcerer/Rogue (1st/1st Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-13
    Dexterity-12
    Constitution-12
    Intelligence-15
    Wisdom-11
    Charisma-13

5. - Top - End - #245
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mrcarter11 View Post
    Hi guys, I'm looking for some causal advice. I recently started to play Magic again after getting out around Onslaught. I know Khans is out right now, but I've never been a fan of tri color decks, so in search of 2 colored decks I happened across the Ravnica guilds. Are any of the guilds actually still playable compared to current decks in a causal environment. Any help or suggestions about the topic would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Return to Ravnica was just two years ago, and the power level of Magic has remained fairly constant, so certainly one could have a good guild deck. Of course, casual can mean many different things to different people, so you would want to get a feel for your playgroup before committing to a deck.

Blue Ghost, Lawful Good generalist wizard, at your service.
    Love wins. S'agapo.

I make MtG cards. My portfolio

6. - Top - End - #246
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Ghost View Post
    Return to Ravnica was just two years ago, and the power level of Magic has remained fairly constant, so certainly one could have a good guild deck. Of course, casual can mean many different things to different people, so you would want to get a feel for your playgroup before committing to a deck.
    I play at college and we have a pretty varied play group. I mean, some people are the type to bail on school and go compete in tournaments, some have decks that were made with 9th ed.. So it's a varied level of play. I was just wondering how competitive I could expect to be. And what guilds would be better/worse to look at.
    DnD Me
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-13
    Dexterity-12
    Constitution-12
    Intelligence-15
    Wisdom-11
    Charisma-13

7. - Top - End - #247

I play at college and we have a pretty varied play group. I mean, some people are the type to bail on school and go compete in tournaments, some have decks that were made with 9th ed.. So it's a varied level of play. I was just wondering how competitive I could expect to be. And what guilds would be better/worse to look at.
    Are you talking about standard or just general casual play?

Anyway, I've just played at my first standard FNM since Gatecrash. 3-1 with Jeskai Ascendancy. I lost to Abzan, a supposed good match up due to lack of gas and a misplay where by I should have saved my rattleclaw mystic with a retraction helix but didn't. I then beat mono black control, rg monsters and rg monsters. The list was needing tweaks, like for example, I was using citp lands over a coast and strand and 3 fetches, 1 temple of plenty etc.

Might try the aggro version next time.
    Steampunk Urchin Lea by Akrim.elf
    Quote Originally Posted by The Succubus View Post
    Spider girl, spider girl,
    Leaves your head in a whirl
    She can swing from a web
    And then she will bite your leg
    Watch out, it's Lea The Spider Girl

8. - Top - End - #248
    Ogre in the Playground

General casual level of play. Standard as far as I'm away is only two blocks back.
    DnD Me
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-13
    Dexterity-12
    Constitution-12
    Intelligence-15
    Wisdom-11
    Charisma-13

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, we had 20 people at FNM last night, and I made 4th with my abzan deck. We cut to the top 8 after 4 rounds, with me in 8th, and I beat the guy in first 2-1 through a mix of luck and skill. Then, after that hard-fought victory, I promptly got roflstomped by a guy who used to be on the pro tour. I ended up 3 and 3, with all my losses being rather quick, messy affairs, and my wins being drawn-out slugfests.
    Copy this to your signature if you love Jade_Tarem, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Anchovies View Post
    A 20th-level fighter should be able to break rainbows in half with their bare hands and then dual-wield the parts of the rainbow.

Dual-wield the rainbow. Taste the rainbow.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ogre in the Playground

General casual level of play. Standard as far as I'm away is only two blocks back.
    Casual level of play generally means you shouldn't be playing decks that combo off before turn 5 usually. At least, as far as my experience goes. It is better to start safe, and play harder if your weaker decks are getting stomped. Just don't start out strong and weaken your decks. From experience, I know it is very annoying when someone brings a deck that is winning every time in what is supposed to be a small casual group of players. It may be fun for the one winning, but everyone else came for a chance to play fair, and they did not come expecting to have spent tons of time and money on their decks.
    Avatar made by Bradakhan| Other avatars.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by TFT on quicktopic
    Oh no, Duck999 is a mason.

How can I possibly suspect you of being a wolf now? :(

:P
    Quote Originally Posted by Legato Endless View Post
    Duck: Mason. A really shifty mason, but a confirmed role nonetheless.

Slii: Slii is town. He looks better than Duck even with that mason claim.

11. - Top - End - #251

So, the modern GP was interesting. No Ascendancy Combo in top 8. Delver was 17% of meta but scapeshift, pod, twin, gbx were all over 10% etc.

And hey, I know one of the top 8ers, Andrew Devine!
    She can swing from a web

12. - Top - End - #252

No Ascendancy combo is probably because if you don't get it early your dorks eat removal all day and there was probably a fair bit of preparation for it. When people are ready for combo decks its hard to perform. I think if people get more practice and it doesn't eat any bans it could be a regular player, but then again with every deck having super efficient early removal, the environment is kinda hostile.
    Uncle Fong, from Bibliography, and Chibi Fong Avatar By Elagune

Total War Factions
    Spoiler
    Show

Total War: Broken City (Retired)

Banner courtesy of Nyrt

Total War: Another 2125 (Retired)
    Dutch Kritarchy and Constituents

13. - Top - End - #253
    Titan in the Playground

Ascendency combo?

Also, my Gods EDH deck is pretty much finished. If I were to tweak it, I would add some more field wipes. It has the unintended theme of "I'm playing your cards," since I was looking up cheap legendaries to put into it.

Which will be my next EDH deck, probably with Nephalia as the commander.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Ogre in the Playground

Ascendency combo?
    It's an engine combo deck where, with Jeskai Ascendancy and creatures like Birds of Paradise, cheap spells like Sleight of Hand both draw cards and make mana, while also making a huge attacker.
    Last edited by Bucky; 2014-11-17 at 12:46 PM.
    The gnomes once had many mines, but now they have gnome ore.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    It's an engine combo deck where, with Jeskai Ascendancy and creatures like Birds of Paradise, cheap spells like Sleight of Hand both draw cards and make mana, while also making a huge attacker.
    Hm...

I looked it up. Retraction Helix + Jascendency + Cornucopia = pain, even without Altar of the Brood. o.0
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Titan in the Playground

Am I a bad person for wanting to play a deck that can cast Emrakul an arbitrarily large number of times?

17. - Top - End - #257
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Hm...

I looked it up. Retraction Helix + Jascendency + Cornucopia = pain, even without Altar of the Brood. o.0
    That's the Standard version, which requires more pieces and is less consistent. The modern version just needs 1 or more mana-producing creatures out, then chains 1-mana cantrips. It's got Glittering Wish for an effective 7 copies of Ascendancy (3 in the maindeck, 1 in the SB for the 4 Wishes to find). It nets mana on each spell if you have more than 1 mana creature out and/or you're using spells that untap/produce mana like Cerulean Wisps or Manamorphose. Once you've cast enough spells that you have a creature with ~20 power, you then attack for lethal or Wish for Flesh/Blood to kill the opponent. If you want to see the deck in action, there's some MTGO videos with it here.
    ithilanor on Steam.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Titan in the Playground

Well, damn. That's pretty amazing.

So guys, I'm getting a card for my birthday from a friend. Now, I don't want to break his bank. What would be a good, not too expensive, and underused legendary for a neat EDH deck?

19. - Top - End - #259
    Titan in the Playground

So guys, I'm getting a card for my birthday from a friend. Now, I don't want to break his bank. What would be a good, not too expensive, and underused legendary for a neat EDH deck?
    I like Reaper King.

If you mean not for the commander, Anafenza the foremost.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    I like Reaper King.

If you mean not for the commander, Anafenza the foremost.
    I know someone who runs reaper king as his EDH. I am looking for a commander.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Titan in the Playground

I know someone who runs reaper king as his EDH. I am looking for a commander.
    Vorosh the Hunter?

Oros the Avenger?

Tariel, Reckoner of Souls?

Merieke Ri Berit?

Rubinia Soulsinger?

Ruhan of the Fomori?

Surrak Dragonclaw?

Thraximundar?

No idea about Naya legends, nor Jund.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Troll in the Playground

Mayael the Anima is a fun commander. You can play with all sorts of big creatures and put them into play for free. A little library manipulation (Sylvan library, scroll rack etc) synergize really well with her. Add in some traditional green ramp and you have a solid deck even if you can't get Mayael to stick on the table.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Titan in the Playground

Hm... Mayael and Thraximundar sound interesting.

Thrax would be good with a lot of self-saccing critters and Attrition. Too bad that there are not many Eldrazi-spawn cards in those color.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Titan in the Playground

Isn't Jeleva still really good? Or is she too expensive and overused?

25. - Top - End - #265
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Norin, The Wary?
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

26. - Top - End - #266

I still play Jeleva in EDH and in 1v1 French Duel Commander and she has just been outclassed. Totally out classed. The only thing you really lose by playing Narset over Jeleva is hatred and Lim-Duls Vault, besides that the deck is nuts.
    She can swing from a web

27. - Top - End - #267
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by firedaemon33 View Post
    Isn't Jeleva still really good? Or is she too expensive and overused?
    I actually have one. I picked it up for my Pantheon EDH. I've considered her for a deck, but as a WotC Commander (tm), I consider her overused.
    Quote Originally Posted by Androgeus View Post
    Norin, The Wary?
    PFFT HAHAHAHAHHA! Oh, wow. I forgot about that. I have to find a way to make his useful.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

PFFT HAHAHAHAHHA! Oh, wow. I forgot about that. I have to find a way to make his useful.
    So off the top of my head the main things that make Norin useful are Purphoros, Pandemodium, Warstorm Surge, Genesis Chamber and Confusion in the Ranks. The rest of the deck is token makers (Krenko, Siege-Gang Commander, Bettleback Chief, ect) and some board control stuff.
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

29. - Top - End - #269
    Barbarian in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Androgeus View Post
    So off the top of my head the main things that make Norin useful are Purphoros, Pandemodium, Warstorm Surge, Genesis Chamber and Confusion in the Ranks. The rest of the deck is token makers (Krenko, Siege-Gang Commander, Bettleback Chief, ect) and some board control stuff.
    Don't forget to throw in Cloudstone Curio. If you ever want things to enter the battlefield, you probably want it.
    Former Owner of GiTP's fanciest Bloodbowl Team: The Fancy Lads
    The League's Self-Proclaimed Perennial Favorites and Season III Champions!
    Current Owner and Manager of Rampant Professionalism

30. - Top - End - #270
    Troll in the Playground

Thought you all might appreciate this:
    Spoiler
    Show

Source