New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 49 of 50 FirstFirst ... 24394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,470 of 1478
  1. - Top - End - #1441
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Riverside 16: Turn and face the strain

[An Alleyway]

Sszinyon immediately decides he likes the strange elf. Very straightforward.

Straightening his armor and checking his gear, the drow decides to take point. "We'll need to be cautious. If they detect us, they will swarm us. Worse, they may activate whatever device they have and kill us all, as well as the rest of the city. We need to locate that device as quickly as possible. Or kill everyone inside. I'm sure they've killed all the civilians after what they did to that scouting vehicle." He looks to the others. "Do any of you have any scrying abilities?"
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel
    I write and draw occasionally: Have a look.

2. - Top - End - #1442
    Halfling in the Playground

[An Alleyway]

Caesa looks quite frail as She gains her feet. Dark, ugly marks have seeped into her skin wherever the iron touched. Her wrists and ankles burn with ancient pain. It shows in her grimace.

"Magic," says Caesa, reaching down shakily to retrieve a pair of things - her obsidian knife and a long, ugly wooden staff with a crack up it's middle. She smiles toward Sszy and the murderous elf, putting some weight on Splinter so She might rest. She will need her strength. Soon.

So. Hearts... human hearts. A 'couple dozen.' A paltry supply, in the long term, but she could never obtain that many without great slaughter and the risk of incurring an unknown adversary's wrath. She has been called to kill before, but never in so crude a manner, and never before has someone promised her so many offerings.

A sacrifice. If a disrespectful one.

It's a start.

"I perform magic, young ones, and were I strong enough to scry I could tell you what number of foes we face down to the man. As it stands..." She tilts her head up. Her hood shifts. Were the others to follow her gaze, or merely listen closely, they may notice the dozens of huge ugly crows that now line the rooftops above them. "Will a few hundred eyes suffice?"

She smiles. It is unpleasant to look upon. "I'm afraid I do not know this city. When I was last awake, there was a river, and there were no sides a'tall..." She rubs a hand at her jagged chin. The three of them get an appraising gaze. "One among you, fetch me to a high place. With haste, dear children, with all haste." She claps her hands together and simpers at them delightfully.

Once on a rooftop, perhaps she can see this... facility of 'power' they intend to attack? When she sees, so shall the crows, and once they know what to look for... their eyes will be all hers.

[Abandoned House]

"The shop, my lord, will do adequately. I thank you for your time. And your gracious patience!" Sticks says, a little more loudly. He shakes the huge creature's hand vigorously and turns to leave. "I bid you many farewells, gracious lord."
    Last edited by Murkus; 2015-06-12 at 08:20 PM.
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

3. - Top - End - #1443
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ThirdEmperor View Post
    [Above St. Certainty's]

Flame on one side, invisible might on the other, and Adel only laughs.

The vampire unfolds into a cloud of black smog as the attacks tear through him from either side, and the whirlwind of smoke collapses back to corporeal form a bare moment later - suddenly looming over Madame Mallard, his blade aimed downwards instead, drawn back for a lunging thrust. He drives the point forward towards her stomach now, not a strike that would kill. Not immediately. But a strike that should certainly slow her down.

Certainly, he hasn't gotten many more chances left, as the ducks below disassemble the crumbling tower. If he can't draw blood now, while their attention is away, and with the edge of surprise and the Madame's powers already expending in three directions...

Well, running may just be in order.
    Madame Mallard's eyes go wide, she was mostly out of truly surprising tricks, but he sure had some new ones she would never have expected. As the ducks continue to separate out the tower, she tries to step back in a desperate attempt to avoid the blade.

The superheroine's actions prove unsuccessful. As the blade pierces her stomach, Madame Mallard lets out a pained scream, dispersing her barriers and forming a new one to knock him and his blade away from her and preventing him from leaning forward to force the sword any farther into her. The sonic and lightning ducks join the flame lighting blasting attacks from above and to the sides of Madame Mallard, shooting them around the barrier adding to the incentive for the candypire to back off.
    Queen Buttercup avatar by the ever-generous Serpentine

4. - Top - End - #1444
    Bugbear in the Playground

[An Alleyway]

"If you need carrying, you're not worth carrying." The elf says, walking to the edge of the alleyway to scan the skyline. It takes him a moment to see what's wrong with the sun, why it's moved backwards from when he was taken, but then he nods, "We'll have the best view from there." He says, pointing to the artificial bulb lighting the city.
    Meese Mobster by smuchmuch.

5. - Top - End - #1445
    Ogre in the Playground

[An Alleyway]

"I can take you to a rooftop." Sszinyon offers, though part of him agreed with the strange elf. Still, information was needed, and it would take him little effort to fufill her request. If allowed, the broad shouldered drow will scoop up the witch in his arms and simply walk up the side of the nearest building to deposit her there.

Looking back down at the elf, he asks, "How do you intend to get up there, unseen?"
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

6. - Top - End - #1446

[Alleyway --> Rooftop]

"Ooh," Caesa feigns being wooed as she's hauled into the air and then up the side of a building. The other elf is disregarded... for now. Sszy gets a nod of thanks, but Caesa doesn't yet climb from his arms. She's looking at the tower of light. Ah, the works of men.

"We need not get there," says Caesa, looking at Sszy. Close like this, her face looks so childish... and she seems lighter. As though her form is not a stable one. Those huge eyes remain constant and unflinching. She is set upon the rooftop delicately. "But if this is to be the plan, let us make haste."
    Last edited by Murkus; 2015-06-13 at 08:39 PM.

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

7. - Top - End - #1447
    Ogre in the Playground

[Vigil Safehouse, Westside]

The flight from Vigil had been uneventful, save for that one stop. The demon had recognized what the destruction of the spire had meant, seen with its eyes the brilliant point of light that had flown off, as well as the much smaller flaming streak that had landed far off. It had seen the trajectory, it could calculate the destination. And so it had gone, skimming lightly across the surface of the lake, into the dark woods. It did not take long before it had found the sword, resting in a charred patch of grass, by the foot of a great pine. The hilt and wrappings had been burnt all away, leaving only the metal parts of the blade, grip and pommel behind, blackened by soot. For any human, an uncomfortable weapon to wield, but it readily retrieved it, lifting it up with a small clump of the crystals that surrounded it. The demon pondered its next destination. It felt... weakened, and a mysterious hunger that it had never felt before. Instinctively, however, it seemed to know what it might need, and its memories gave it an idea of where it might find something to satisfied its odd craving. Skyside was too unsafe to reach, in the demon's current state, and it wished to avoid Inside if it could, for there were certainly forces there that would be hostile towards it. That left Riverside, and it flew there forthwith.

As the demon approached the walled city, it changed, body altering to a less ostentatious form. The capelets dull in color, fusing into a hooded cloak, and the clumsy hooves elongated into clawed feet, horns shrinking in kind, until they were mere thorns, extending an inch each from the forehead. Gold and black patterns faded, color dulling to a more utilitarian charcoal color. The face too shifted to a more familiar configuration, eyes remaining in place, but a slit on the lower part of the face opening and widening, forming a fanged mouth. More drastic changes beyond these, the demon did not attempt. This form had utility enough: it did not wish to resume any identity that may make it a target, and any disguise would be an unnecessary effort with little benefit.

It noticed evacuations. Curious, though an investigation that would need to wait. The demon snuck over the wall, relying on darkness to hide it as it drifts down several back alleys, making its way to the decrepit building that had once been bought and secretly modified to serve as a safehouse. The door looked to be barely on, hanging decrepit on rusted hinges, but of course this was only a facade. The demon shoved the fake door aside, stepping into a hallway that ended in a second door, this one of steel.
    "Please identify yourself." Said a voice.
    The demon grabbed the door, wrenching the heavy steel out of its housing, before throwing it into the street, where it landed with a heavy crash. No doubt now there would be a silent alarm, alerting all Vigil communicators of the break-in, assuming any were still active to receive it. No matter, the demon would be quick. There were supplies of all kinds in the safehouse; food, water, bed pallets, though the demon passed all these by, making its way to the closet at the back. Here it found its prize: detonation spheres, elemental orbs, magical items of a variety of sorts. Potent weapons, but that wasn't what the demon intended. It could sense the magical energy lying in wait inside the devices. Latent for now, but ready to be called forth, activated to unleash magical destruction. A suitable energy supply. The demon grabbed several. It retrieved a scabbard as well, a plain leather one that it belted around its torso, crystals carefully sliding the sword it had retrieved safely within. Then it left.
    Last edited by Ashen Lilies; 2015-06-21 at 02:05 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok
    She’s graduated from child soldier to unstable teen sorceress, way to go.

8. - Top - End - #1448

[Above St. Certainty's]

Adel falls away in a swirling column of smog, but there's a smile on his face as he coils back into existence. The blade in his hand drips heavily with blood. "Vell? Are ve seeing how featherbrained this vas?" Foolish, yes. Because he's not the one entirely surrounded. His eye flitter from one airborne form to the next, from lightning to fire to strength. Oh yes, this is looking quite ******. "Still think you vill walk avay? Vith all your limbs, even? I do owe you." He lifts his broken hand, giving a broken wiggle of the three fingers still connected by any more than a strand of flesh.

[A Rooftop]

Look down?

An easy leap carries him up to the rooftops, seemingly ignoring gravity. "I can manage easily, and you seem capable. As for unseen, we can approach from the opposite side. From there we will be able to reconnoiter and then glide into the compound with the light at our backs. Avoiding them," He gestures to the horizon, the open expanse of blue sky and clouds underlit by the glowing tower. There doesn't look to be anything under his accusing finger, yet, "The skies and the streets below are under watch. It's the best approach."

9. - Top - End - #1449
    Ogre in the Playground

[A Rooftop]

Sszinyon thinks of the plan the elf came up with and nods. It had its merits. "Very well, it would give us the element of surprise. However, they have ships under cloaks in the skies above. We do not wish to encounter them. So I ask, how do you all feel about flying?" The drow digs through a pouch on his belt and extracts a small jeweled device, about the size of make-up compact and decorated in blue enamel and gold. The spider and web symbol of House Xar'Cha decorated the top. "I still have some pull with my family. Acquiring a few giant bats should not be a problem. With their echolocation, avoiding the airships should be easy."
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

10. - Top - End - #1450
    Orc in the Playground

[VIGIL Safehouse]

Of course, certain parties were watching events here. Each of them hoped the situation would be resolved without them being forced to intervene, for various reasons. In one case, because they didn't want to ignite a conflict with Riverside in the process. But in another, it was a problem of secrecy.

That other also happens to be in possession of a VIGIL communicator, having been able to access its comm systems very recently, even. And so, he becomes aware of a break-in at a safehouse no one outside the organization should know about, unless they were at the very least former members. That it was in the middle of the Chimera Syndicate's attack made it even more suspect, and while there was no love lost between him and the organization anymore, that still bore investigation.

This is how somebody in hulking black powered armor of a not-seen-before design, sporting some sort of back pod, and what look like heavy thrusters below and at the its feet. Curiously, this individual has little in the way of visible weaponry, apart from a sheathed dagger at the right side of all things.

The figure turns toward the safehouse as the demon exits it, away from the direction of the power plant, arms crossed.

"Odd time to be looting, isn't it?" It asks, as its featureless faceplate stares at the demon. The voice is clearly artificial and robotic, though not monotone, and doesn't sound like who it actually is. There's a lack of any strong emotion, with only the understated, pointed question.
    Spoiler
    Show

by Happyturtle and Ashen Lilies

FFR Links:

11. - Top - End - #1451

Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by firedaemon33 View Post
    [Malechenar Castle - Fourth Tower Compound]

Kanya looks up and says, hoping against hope, "Really? Will...Will people be able to touch me, too?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Recaiden View Post
    [Eastside]

The council also appears to have taken the threat completely seriously and are also broadcasting an evacuation order, reminders to remain calm. The main body of the mundane police force has been deployed to organize the withdrawal, minimize damage and chaos, but of course there are problems, of course it will take forever and there will be stubborn people who refuse to leave. Temporary shelters well out of the city are being set up even as people flee to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    [Around the Power Plant]

Meanwhile, the other three mercenary companies are on standby, ready to work with the Malechenar forces. The Howling Commando gnolls are spread far and wide to act as ground troops. Few of the Chipped Tooth Skaven can be seen anywhere, but they're certainly there, waiting. Wazlido's Wingmen are circling above the city on their bats.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenric View Post
    [Malechenar Castle Entrance]

A werefox at last arrives in Riverside, dressed in a silvery-white jumpsuit-type uniform and with a strange set of goggles draped around her neck. A long rifle is strapped to her back, but she appears otherwise unarmed.

The Ghost is talking on her communicator as she walks up to the gate

<vulpine> { I've heard of field promotions before but that's impressive. Ok, I'll see what I can do, General. I'm there now. Samantha out. }

Then, to the presumable guards

Greetings. I have a message and an offer for the leadership here.
    [Parking Lot]

Viima enters the parking lot slowly, bearing Dipsnig on her back. The goblin is only steering with his legs now, since he's holding his crossbow in both hands, its safety catch off. He surveys his surroundings carefully. Then, Viima turns her head in the direction of the two hiding people and snarls. She doesn't like that smell at all. Dipsnig dismounts and starts approaching their hiding place from a wide arc, with Viima approaching from the opposite direction.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Eagle View Post
    [Malechenar Castle - The Gardens]

Sharpe (hereafter known as Ezra) smiles and fondly touches Lihana's head form. "Don't be so hesitant, dear. My brother-in-law is a nice man, if a bit protective. You could talk about being windpires, for one." He smiles. "Plus, he doesn't live in a head, but he's basically a hat and sunglasses atop an invisible body made of wind and spirit energy."

"His hat is what's holding him together without him having to expend energy doing so. For that reason, it's impossible for anyone to remove it. It's actually possible, but there are brutal safeguards to prevent that."

There's also the fact that de-hatting him will de-air any living thing in a wide area.
    Quote Originally Posted by Murkus View Post
    [Abandoned House]

"The shop, my lord, will do adequately. I thank you for your time. And your gracious patience!" Sticks says, a little more loudly. He shakes the huge creature's hand vigorously and turns to leave. "I bid you many farewells, gracious lord."

[Malechenar Castle - Fourth Tower Compound]

"With the right illusionist? Of course." Zhareen smiles toothily. "I have one in mind in fact, a mage I've been working with before. Just don't tell anyone we're going to someone outside the organization, okay?" She winks at Kanya.

[Eastside Townhall]

There is an emergency phone call to the mayor. It appears to be from Celestel, the Malechenar spokesperson.

The head flies away as Sharpe (Erza) attempts to fondle it. "Whoa, no touchy. It's not like I can feel anything this puppet is feeling anyway. They die a lot, would be rather distracting." It flies away a bit from him. "But if you truly wish for me to talk to this air spirit brother of yours, fine. As long as I get my body back, alright?"

[Abandoned House]

"Farewell to you as well, mister Sticks." The vampire lord bids with a deep nod as the wizard makes his exit. He will then disappear into the darkness once again.

[Around Westside and Northside]

As the evacuation is under progress certain characters are using the chaos to move around the city and perform short rituals to create strange marks that at key locations. The marks appear to be a black tree with many branches with an white eye in the middle. Their teal ponchos marks them as members of the fourth tower and affiliated with Malechenar. It's anyones guess what they're really doing though, even entering peoples (abandoned) homes to make these marks.

Spoiler: For those characters with knowledge about arcane signs
    Show
    The mark is of the gorge of greed, a demiplane filled with hellions, evil beings that feed upon mortal material loss.

[Malechenar Castle]

For the first time in a while the enormous castle starts moving again. Accompanied by the sound of it's bizarre magi-tech engines it slowly but surely starts flying out from the city to a for the moment safer location.

[Parking Lot]

Cybil can't speak in her vampire form so she has to reshape as she's being addressed. The suit she has bought reshapes with her so she won't have anymore wardrobe malfunctions. She stands quite tall in her human form and have to duck behind the car to avoid enemy fire. "You think I will be more effective fighting like this?" She asks as she accepts the taser. She couldn't use that effectively in her vampire form that was for sure.

[Malechenar Castle Entrance]¨

The guards, who are just two at the moment as much of the forces are taking care of the evacuation and the power plant, both nod. "Of course. Is the offer for our lord's ears only or could you tell us what it is? I cannot guarantee they can grant you an audience unless it's something important considering the current situation." He claims.

[Around the Power Plant]

With no foxes around, the guards starts to set up blockades around the power plant to prevent anyone unauthorized getting involved, probably with the help of the MERC mercenaries. Hopefully the forces of Eastside would come along soon and help.
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2015-06-14 at 01:55 PM.

12. - Top - End - #1452
    Ogre in the Playground

[VIGIL Safehouse]

The demon takes a step back as it assesses the threat, claws clinking against the pavement. Its protective shield of black crystal orbs hover around it menacingly.
    "This doesn't concern you." Says the demon, in a harsh, unfamiliar voice. The words come as if from a mouth unused to speaking them, with a timbre like heavy steel cymbals.
    Last edited by Ashen Lilies; 2015-06-14 at 11:46 AM.

13. - Top - End - #1453
    Pixie in the Playground

[Malechenar Castle Entrance]

Samantha smiles

I'm Captain Samantha Llewellen, and I am here representing the Town Expeditionary Force of the Vulpine Empire. I'm here to offer our assistance. We are offering our help with your power plant issue...

(( Minor edit... there's no way she'd know about the refugees yet ))
    Last edited by Fenric; 2015-06-14 at 06:29 PM.

14. - Top - End - #1454
    Orc in the Playground

[VIGIL Safehouse]

"You shouldn't even know about this place, and you're looting it in the middle of a terror attack right after its owners get their main base invaded and destroyed," the armored interloper 'explains,' in that condescending way one explains something the one they're talking to already knows, complete with the same, infuriating tone of voice creeping in.

The pod on the figure's back opens with a loud crack. Six small drones fly out, appearing as little more than a gun barrel and power supply attached to a tiny repulsor engine, and take up formation around their master. And as they do, it reaches back into the pod, and brandishes...a coin.

A silver coin.

A glowing silver coin.

The drones take aim.

The interloper doesn't say anything else, and just stares, its expression behind that faceplate unknowable.
    Last edited by Darkcomet; 2015-06-14 at 01:28 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

FFR Links:

15. - Top - End - #1455
    Ogre in the Playground

[VIGIL Safehouse]

The demon eyes the drones carefully... and flees, crystal shield whirling as it darts back into the building, possibly to make some sort of escape through a back door.

16. - Top - End - #1456
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller

The head flies away as Sharpe (Erza) attempts to fondle it. "Whoa, no touchy. It's not like I can feelanything this puppet is feeling anyway. They die a lot, would be rather distracting." It flies away a bit from him. "But if you truly wish for me to talk to this air spirit brother of yours, fine. As long as I get my body back, alright?"
    Ezra smiles and brings out a special knife. It's a knife in the sense that it has a handle attached to a long (but oddly-shaped) piece of metal. Dropping it on the ground and muttering some words causes it to glow brightly.

"Have a little faith in me, Lihana."

The glow dies down to reveal a manifestation of Archie Sharpe, who looks exactly as described.

"This her, brother?" Archie appears to examine the head. "Yes. Introductions: Lihana, meet my brother-in-law, Archibald Sharpe. Archie, meet the lovely Lihana, who wishes to get a body of her own. Talk to her like we discussed while I go to my room and do some research." Turning to Lihana, he adds in a soft voice. "You'll get your body back."

That said, he heads towards his room while Archie remains to speak with Lihana.

"Ezra seems to have taken a liking to you, and I'm sure it's not just because of his I-must-help-people-in-need complex." He bobs, appearing to fold his arms, but there's no way to tell. "So, Lihana. Ezra has told me about your predicament, but I wish to hear it straight from you: what exactly do you want, and why?"

17. - Top - End - #1457
    Firbolg in the Playground

[Around the Power Plant]
    Meanwhile, the other three mercenary companies are on standby, ready to work with the Malechenar forces. The Howling Commando gnolls are spread far and wide to act as ground troops. Few of the Chipped Tooth Skaven can be seen anywhere, but they're certainly there, waiting. Wazlido's Wingmen are circling above the city on their bats.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    With no foxes around, the guards starts to set up blockades around the power plant to prevent anyone unauthorized getting involved, probably with the help of the MERC mercenaries. Hopefully the forces of Eastside would come along soon and help.
    Some forces of Eastside show up, a few handfuls of people who roll up and quickly get to work helping Malenchar's folks. They ask to be appraised of the situation, of course, but this is Westside's responsibility. They are only here to help.

[Eastside Townhall]
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    There is an emergency phone call to the mayor. It appears to be from Celestel, the Malechenar spokesperson.
    Of course Celestel calls to waste their time in the midst of a terrorist attack.
    Nevertheless, it's answered.

"Eastside, Mayor's office. Speak quickly."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

18. - Top - End - #1458
    Orc in the Playground

[VIGIL Safehouse]

The drones open up with a torrent of beams, individually not all that strong (inasmuch as a lethal energy weapon can be considered weak) but with massed fire. That only lasts for a short initial burst, though, as their master elects to take a different course of action.

That course of action being to charge.

The figure floats off its feet, propelled by nothing visible, and then the thrusters activate. Now that they're active it seems they're similar in principle to the drones' engines, not that this is what anyone will be focusing on. What they'll be focusing on is the charge, propelled by unseen force and the heavy boosters alike, roaring in pursuit of the demon in what would normally likely end in crashing straight into the crystal shield. It still might.

But then a dark blue aura envelops the charging hulk of armor and tech, as that same unseen telekinetic force propelling it makes itself known once more in attempt at wrenching the shield aside briefly in order to crash into the demon with sheer, brute weight and speed. If that doesn't work, the shield will get the crashing instead.

On the bright side, the drones are slower to follow, and will have far more difficulty maneuvering in a smaller space.

The silver coin is left on the ground outside, its purpose fulfilled.
    Spoiler
    Show

FFR Links:

19. - Top - End - #1459

Evolution Industries Headquarters

The team from the Stormy Isles is teleported here. Most of them start getting out pieces of equipment and start putting something together, while the envoy heads for the building. The sooner he can get some information on the plant, the sooner they can see if they can keep it from exploding.

20. - Top - End - #1460
    Ogre in the Playground

[Vigil Safehouse]

The doombot's plan works as intended! Sort of.

The crystal shield, absorbing most of the laser fire with ease, is shunted aside easily enough. Strangely, there seems to be some sort of initial resistance, but then the shield parts easily, allowing the android body to crash into the demon. That is, if there were anything to crash into. Just as the armored figure is about to reach the demon, it seems to flicker, and the armor should pass harmlessly through it, likely speeding directly into a wall or some point deeper inside the building.

Once there's no risk of being smashed into, the demon reaches into its cloak, pulling out a handful of the detonation spheres from its cloak as it floats backwards through the doorway. Once outside, it speaks the command words, rapidly tossing the spheres at the doorway and some of the building supports. If the figure doesn't move fast enough, it's likely to receive an entire building crashing down upon its head, with the demon already attempting to fly into a nearby alleyway and disappear.
    Last edited by Ashen Lilies; 2015-06-14 at 06:27 PM.

21. - Top - End - #1461
    Orc in the Playground

[VIGIL Safehouse]

The speeding armored hulk, remarkably, does not crash into a wall. In fact, as the demon vanishes, it stops far too quickly, in a rapid stop that would probably break a lot in a human. The thrusters cut but there is no visible braking, only the sudden stop and a flare of that aura before it vanishes.

The drones react a split second later, and turn and fire on the demon as it flees, as they are still outside. They don't pursue, however.

Back to the armored android, though.

The explosives go off as it turns around, and it's much too slow to accelerate to get out from here before it all comes crashing down. It is fortunate, then, that its designer (and occupant) thought to incorporate a teleporter. Telekinetic power briefly strains to delay the crushing, before the teleporter activates, sending the android elsewhere. The drones remain briefly, assuming they don't merit retaliation, before they fly off somewhere to be reclaimed.

When someone comes to investigate, they will find a wrecked safehouse, and outside it, a single silver coin on the ground, with a message burned in next to it, with the drones' beam guns.

"Demon."

[EI Headquarters]

The two EvSec guards outside the entrance are rather jumpy, and when one speaks, he's audibly tense, obviously not thinking much of his chances here. That they haven't evacuated says something, though. "Identify yourselves."
    Spoiler
    Show

FFR Links:

22. - Top - End - #1462

[EI Headquarters]

The envoy stops as the guards address him.

"I am Archibald Ferrumpugno, of the Stormy Isles. As part of an agreement with the government of Inside, we have been sent to keep the power plant from exploding. But in order to do, I and my men will need some information about the functions of the power plant. Mainly about its reaction and how it might overload, so that we can stop that from taking place."

23. - Top - End - #1463

Quote Originally Posted by ThirdEmperor View Post
    [A Rooftop]

Look down?

An easy leap carries him up to the rooftops, seemingly ignoring gravity. "I can manage easily, and you seem capable. As for unseen, we can approach from the opposite side. From there we will be able to reconnoiter and then glide into the compound with the light at our backs. Avoiding them," He gestures to the horizon, the open expanse of blue sky and clouds underlit by the glowing tower. There doesn't look to be anything under his accusing finger, yet, "The skies and the streets below are under watch. It's the best approach."
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis97 View Post
    [A Rooftop]

Sszinyon thinks of the plan the elf came up with and nods. It had its merits. "Very well, it would give us the element of surprise. However, they have ships under cloaks in the skies above. We do not wish to encounter them. So I ask, how do you all feel about flying?" The drow digs through a pouch on his belt and extracts a small jeweled device, about the size of make-up compact and decorated in blue enamel and gold. The spider and web symbol of House Xar'Cha decorated the top. "I still have some pull with my family. Acquiring a few giant bats should not be a problem. With their echolocation, avoiding the airships should be easy."
    "I have never ridden a bat before," declares Caesa. A grin cuts her face. "But I am game to try. Can they be here quickly, deep elf?"

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

24. - Top - End - #1464

[A Rooftop]

"Yes, that is what I said." The elf says sharply. "Call your bats." But that seems to be a third vote for the plan, and all aboard.

25. - Top - End - #1465
    Ogre in the Playground

[A Rooftop]

Sszinyon pops open the device and speaks into it in his native tongue. A voice replies in kind and after a short conversation, he closes the device again and turns to the others. "They will be here shortly."

True to his word, about fifteen minutes pass before a pair of black shapes come darting over the rooflines of Riverside. Two bats, easily the size of horses, alight on the rooftop, supporting themselves on the small claws on the tips of their wings. Their leaf-shaped noses twitch and scent the air, trying to examine the strangers around them. Their eyes are tiny, too small for such large creatures, almost vestigial. Massive ears rotate constantly, fixating on nearby noises.

A pair of drow dressed in dark, tight fitting leather, unstrap themselves from the saddles on the bats' backs and climb down. One holds the reigns of the animals, making a strange clicking noise in his throat, which seems to calm them. The other approaches Sszinyon and looks oddly at the others, this was not the sort of people he expected to be retreiving.

"Reporting as ordered, my lord." The rider speaks in drow to Sszinyon.

Sszinyon nods and turns to the others. "These will carry us. There's an invisibility spell on their harnesses which will cloak both bat and riders. They'll carry one pilot and a passenger. If the cat travels with the lady," He nods to Caesa, "the weight should balance out fine. I will pilot one." He turns and says as much to the pilot nearby who bows and steps out of the way.

"Will they do?" He asks the others.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

26. - Top - End - #1466
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Recaiden View Post
    [Riverside's Riverside... in Riverside! -> Warehouse Clinic]

Alright, now to get him an arm.
    A storefront door is rolled up into the ceiling, the door behind unlocked, and Kestrel slinks inside.
    Within are gleaming surgical implements, a long operating table, ominously mobile little sensors and claws on the ceiling, a soldering bench...

"New arm. How did you lose the last one? Does it need a shoulder as well?"
    "Best lie down."

The demonologist shows cracks in his arrogant fearless armour as his eyes nervously dart around the warehouse.

"Ah bit of shoulder left but let's go all the way. It was a clean cut, caused by a moments lap of weakness, a moments mercy given where it wasn't due and for that I was blind sighted by a heavy blade, weilded by a mysterious creature with a stone heart. A mistake that will never be made again!"

The man starts removing his upper garments wich while tattered consisted of layers and showed some difficulty with his one arm. He resorted to brute strength when encountering issues with it, not wanting to appear weak or have to ask for favours.

Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Eagle View Post
    [Riverside's Riverside... in Riverside! -> Warehouse Clinic]

Fixer smiles at the demonologist. It's a rather morbid smile.

"I was just made aware of a contact of mine coming to the Nexus. Ilyona. She believes that the human body and even ectoplasm can be made better with machines. If only she were here... she'd fix you up with or without your consent. It would have been nice to see her do so without your consent."

He chuckles. "I'd have also liked to consume your hand and convert it into nutrients, but the fact that it was attached to you once turns me off."
    Standing before Fixer, he tilts his head to look down at him. The demonologist was a warrior before a demon-Mage, and through either magical or physical means had maintained a powerful physique that many soldiers would silently envy.

Now that he can no longer hide his missing arm, and that it has been exposed, he embraces the injury like it was one of his many scars. This allows him to regain some slimmer of pride in his half naked form .
    With his wide chest pushed out he flexes his good arm in a bestial display of strength as he holds up his hand towards Fixer.

"Any time you wanna try take it feel free little man!"

"This will be painful."

He can't hide the worry those words struck him with.
    "You have no idea" he says coldly. His eyes go blank as he takes himself to a different place in his head. His breathing slows as he tries to keep in control of every aspect of his body and mind.

"Lets do this!" He growls as he lays on the table.

27. - Top - End - #1467
    Ogre in the Playground

[Alleyway, Westside]

Once the demon is far enough away from the wreckage it just caused, it pauses, considering the encounter, with the telekinetic robot. Going through Kr's memories, there's really no other conclusion that the demon can come to as to the robot's identity.

What a disaster. Kr had 'killed' DC when he went into Vigil, looking to steal the concrete doomblock, which had led to explosions, which had led to breaking the teleport, which had led to a demon invasion. And of course, as it turns out, DC hadn't died at all, because no one actually dies in the Nexus. An entire organization destroyed, not over a matter of life or death, but because of theatrics and spite. The demon felt a distant bitterness at this revelation, but the emotion disappeared quickly - it was an emotion of the being that had existed in the demon's dream, not of the demon.

At present it notices some certain teal poncho wearing beings entering a house across the street from the demon's alleyway, and it feels the presence of some dark magic hanging heavily in the air. It moves to investigate, stepping lightly into the abandoned house.

28. - Top - End - #1468
    Ettin in the Playground

A Rooftop

The cat settles in on the rooftop and looks around the group. Before we proceed, perhaps we should get an idea of each other's capabilities? With that sentence the cat morphs into a panther, covered in shimmering armor.
    Hail to the Lord of Death and Destruction!
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! YARN FOR THE YARN THRONE! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!

29. - Top - End - #1469

[A Rooftop]

"You ask, sir, as though you care for my opinion," Caesa gives a little simper at Sszy, and she reclines her head to him. Further still, she does a perfect curtsy, hiking up the edges of her ragged tunic. Her dirty, blood-flecked legs twitch lower as good as any noble girl. She seems to be simultaneously teasing and genuinely appreciating his respect. "And I say they will do quite nicely. My gracious thanks for your steeds."

Caesa's eternal eyes twitch to the cat, now that it's joined them again. She gives a tiny, eerie smile. "I have allies in the air, in the sky... I call things. I can call great strength, if the need be dire. In a place of man and his kind I will be weak, but in a place of blood I am strong..." Their destination sounds like both of the above. Caesa rolls one shoulder in a shrug that could shake mountains. "We will see."
    Last edited by Murkus; 2015-06-15 at 10:48 PM.

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

30. - Top - End - #1470
    Ogre in the Playground

[A Rooftop]

"I believe there will be quite a lot of blood spilt when we arrive. Sszinyon states, a small smile creeping on to his face, revealing teeth filed to points and elongated fangs. When he speaks his voice is low, but proud. Confident, but not arrogant. He knows his abilities and staes them truly. "Very well, I am a hunter and tracker, my chosen prey is often my own kin. I am an accomplished swordsman and assassin. Furthermore, I am both vampire and werewolf. I will stalk silently and hit hard and fast. Any victim I can drain will only add to my strength and power. I am the stalking shadow demon of the nexus. I am the white wolf of the castle. I am Sszinyon Xar'Cha, second son of House Xabaresh Chaeron, Eighth House of Menzoberranzan, rulers of Glendale, Ashland, and Delmah Phor."
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel