New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

sigh I miss Blackadder

I really miss watching the old

Blackadder

series.

It taught this American most of the British history I know, and I found it far funnier than most every television ever broadcast.

If you haven't seen it I highly recommend viewing the second season to start, then the third, then the fourth, and then the subsequent "specials", and then get around to watching the first season some time after the Earth's oceans have dried out, the Sun has burned itself into a cinder, and one by one the stars shine no more leaving nothing but a cold, dark, and empty void (it just wasn't as good as the other seasons).

The first season did have Brian Blessed and Peter Cook in it though.

If anyone has seen the series and can recommend something similar please do so.

Thanks.
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: I miss Blackadder

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    If anyone has seen the series and can recommend something similar please do so.

Thanks.
    There's nothing I've seen that's exactly like Blackadder, but Monty Python stuff isn't far off. Granted I've only seen one Python film, once...

I hear Yes, Minister might be a good recommendation for Blackadder fans? Never seen it myself.

I assume you've seen Fawlty Towers. Almost everyone has.

Other than that, pretty much any 'highbrow' British comedy is going to have the same general sort of tone (because most highbrow British comics learned their trade at Footlights). Panel shows like QI, Never Mind the Buzzcocks and Have I Got News for You might be an option.

The only other thing that comes to mind right now is the Canadian series, Slings & Arrows. That's probably worth a watch.
    Lydia Seaspray by Oneris!

Spoiler: Acclaim
    Show
    Winner of Spellbrew Contest I & Subclass Contest II
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    That is the perfect ending. Thread done, Ninja_Prawn won.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    We love our ninja prawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Gnoll View Post
    NinjaPrawn, you are my favourite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir cryosin View Post
    Ninja you're like the forum's fairy godmother.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkMinty View Post
    This is why you're the best, Ninja Prawn.

A Faerie Affair

Homebrew: Sig

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Blackadder was pretty great wasn't it? Rowan Atkinson is just perfect for that role.
    "And if you don't, the consequences will be dire!"
    "What? They'll have three extra hit dice and a rend attack?"

Factotum Variants!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

In addition to some of the stuff that's already been mentioned, I really liked the Wooster & Jeeves tv series, when it comes to British comedy. Not quite the same as Blackadder, but some of the best comedy I've ever watched, even so.
    "In defeat, malice; in victory, revenge!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Captnq View Post
    Roleplay liking each other or GET OUT. Because I've had it up to my eyeballs with REAL role-players and their "concept" being more important then the rules, fun, and the other players

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    There's nothing I've seen that's exactly like Blackadder, but Monty Python stuff isn't far off. Granted I've only seen one Python film, once...

I hear Yes, Minister might be a good recommendation for Blackadder fans? Never seen it myself.

I assume you've seen Fawlty Towers. Almost everyone has.

Other than that, pretty much any 'highbrow' British comedy is going to have the same general sort of tone (because most highbrow British comics learned their trade at Footlights). Panel shows like QI, Never Mind the Buzzcocks and Have I Got News for You might be an option.

The only other thing that comes to mind right now is the Canadian series, Slings & Arrows. That's probably worth a watch.
    Coming from someone who loved Yes, Minister, it's not a terribly good recommendation for coming off Blackadder except for "it's a great British comedy." Granted, I'm all about recommending it, because it's fantastic but still. I also just discovered A Bit of Fry and Laurie, but that's sketch comedy. Some of the best sketch comedy I've ever seen, but still pretty different.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

For actual traditional comedy shows with recurring characters:
    Yes, Minister/Yes, Prime Minister is just about the funniest, most consistently brilliant show ever written. Make sure to watch the original run with Hawthorne, Eddington and Fowlds, not the watered down reboot. It does not have much in common with Blackadder other than being funny, but it is the best education you'll get in Western, especially British, politics.
    I'd suggest something like Red Dwarf, which is also brilliant. Some of the mid to later seasons fade a bit, but even not-as-good-as-early-seasons RD is still funny and leagues better than most **** you'll come across. It has made a good comeback in the last three seasons or so.
    I'm rewatching Jeeves & Wooster these days, and it's another classic. Wodehouse has never been in better hands.
    I have a soft spot for 'Allo 'allo, a comedy about the Nazi occupation of France. It's a farce in the best sense of the word. If you like the one sane man in a ship of fools aspect of Blackadder, you will likely appreciate this one.
    You might try Waiting for God, life at a retirement home with appropriately barmy and sarcastic characters.

For sketch shows Monty Python's Flying Circus is a must. A bit of Fry and Laurie is also good. Hale & Pace have some good stuff, as do Mitchell & Webb and Armstrong & Miller (lots of double acts, aren't there?)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Red Dwarf is absolutely the best! Similar in tone, I loved Other Space, which was done for Yahoo's brief attempt at webseries content. You can watch it here: https://shareotherspace.tumblr.com/

The work of Graham Linehan might be up your alley as well, particularly Father Ted and Black Books (with Dylan Moran!)

I love Never Mind the Buzzcocks, but sadly just about all the episodes have been blocked on youtube in the US.

Oh, and Python fans should check out Noel Fielding's Luxury Comedy if they haven't. Done by, obviously, Noel Fielding from The Mighty Boosh. One of the more gleefully surreal shows I've seen since the Flying Circus.

8. - Top - End - #8

I remember only liking the Elizabeth I season, I also remember it being very british so maybe you could check out drunk history UK?

Also, if you are ok with computer games and point click games maybe try playing Discworld? I think it's very funny.

I'm not a native english speaker and I'm dyslexic(that doesn't mean I have low IQ quite the opposite actually it means I make a lot of typos).

So I beg for forgiveness, patience and comprehension.

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    It's like somewhere along the way, "freedom of speech" became "all negative response is censorship".
    "Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking), and your humility is stunning"

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Oddly enough, the unaired pilot for the first series was far closer in in style to what Blackadder would later become.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

An old classic somehow eluding me is Dad's Army. I dug up some clips and watched a bit and I really need to watch it.

Allo Allo I keeping wanting to rewatch.

Yes, Minister/PM came to mind, it's not quite Black Adder. But it's quality shows that a teenager who has no knowledge of UK politics could find it hilarious.

Wooster & Jeeves, strongly seconded.

I love Keeping Up Appearances and the newer Last of the Summer Wine was also quite pleasant, the original 70s version was too much off for me though.

I think in descending order closest to Black Adder. Nothing is quite like that though. I hesitate to mention, but there is ofc Mr Bean (not the movies!) for more Rowan Atkinson but I never liked that as much as Blackadder.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

My mind was blown the other day when I realized that Hugh Laurie, the star of "House MD", was also Lieutenant George in the WWI season of Black Adder.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

It taught this American most of the British history I know, and I found it far funnier than most every television ever broadcast.

If you haven't seen it I highly recommend viewing the second season to start, then the third, then the fourth, and then the subsequent "specials", and then get around to watching the first season some time after the Earth's oceans have dried out, the Sun has burned itself into a cinder, and one by one the stars shine no more leaving nothing but a cold, dark, and empty void (it just wasn't as good as the other seasons).

The first season did have Brian Blessed and Peter Cook in it though.
    I think the first season suffers from excessive canned laughter. They really crank it up when nothing funny is happening. Or there is a subtle joke and the audio track sounds like people are laughing so hard they can't breathe. I think if you can find a copy with the canned laughter edited out, it will be more enjoyable.

A lot of great jokes for a Shakespeare fan.

KING RICHARD III:
    "And gentlemen in England now a-bed
    Shall think themselves accurs'd they were not here,
    And hold their manhoods cheap"

Cuts to Black Adder sleeping in his bed. Funny Stuff.

I think the WWI season is by far the best, though.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by napoleon_in_rag View Post
    My mind was blown the other day when I realized that Hugh Laurie, the star of "House MD", was also Lieutenant George in the WWI season of Black Adder.
    He was also the foppish Prince Regent in season 3.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Rowan Atkinson is hilarious. His stand up routines are very much worth seeing. You can find a gaspingly funny Dr. Who fundraiser featuring him as the titular Doctor on Youtube.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

A long time ago, I based a D&D character on "3 fingered Pete" from Season 1, Ep 6.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Blackadder was particularly good because it was short. Each series lasted only six episodes. They honed the comedy down, rather than bloating it up. Most of the best, most fondly remembered UK comedy is short - because generally, the longer a show goes on, the lamer it gets.

In that vein, I recommend Spaced, Detectorists, The Young Ones, the Comic Strip Presents, Bottom...

17. - Top - End - #17

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by S@tanicoaldo View Post
    I remember only liking the Elizabeth I season, [...]
    Really? I mean, that one is my favourite, but you didn't like any other season, not even Blackadder Goes Forth?

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Altair_the_Vexed View Post
    Blackadder was particularly good because it was short. Each series lasted only six episodes.
    I mean, that's just the typical length of a British TV series.
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

There is a distressingly no suggestions for Father Ted here. There should be like, every suggestion for Father Ted.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    There is a distressingly no suggestions for Father Ted here. There should be like, every suggestion for Father Ted.
    Never seen it, but the name reminds me...

It's not British, but I'm going to toss out Better Off Ted. Absolutely fantastic series, and it's a damn crime that it only ran two seasons.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    Clearly you were so distressed you missed me recommending it above But really, the recommendation was just resting in my account...

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by The Troubadour View Post
    Really? I mean, that one is my favourite, but you didn't like any other season, not even Blackadder Goes Forth?
    Yeah, but it has been years since I watched, I was just a little young lass who was unhealthy obsessed with medieval and fantasy settings, so maybe that's the reason.
    I'm not a native english speaker and I'm dyslexic(that doesn't mean I have low IQ quite the opposite actually it means I make a lot of typos).

It's like somewhere along the way, "freedom of speech" became "all negative response is censorship".
    "Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking), and your humility is stunning"

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

What's interesting about the fourth series is that the iconic and poignant final shot of them charging over the top was very nearly a disaster. If you watch the scene in real time, the actors awkwardly stumble out of the trench and then unconvincingly fall over dead. They only had time to do the shot once and they were convinced that they had just ruined the series and disrespected the soldiers who died in WWI. It was only when they slowed the footage down and faded it out before the actors began falling over that they managed to turn a terrible take into something beautiful.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

I wanted to thank everyone for the wonderful suggestions first, but instead I'm going to chime in and say that "Goes Forth" transcended comedy and was a real tearjerker as well.

It was somehow like watching "Hot Fuzz", and "Paths of Glory" at the same time.

25. - Top - End - #25

I wanted to thank everyone for the wonderful suggestions first, but instead I'm going to chime in and say that "Goes Forth" transcended comedy and was a real tearjerker as well.

It was somehow like watching "Hot Fuzz", and "Paths of Glory" at the same time.
    Really? I guess I'll have to re-watch it them. I only vaguely remember the shooting squad jokes.

26. - Top - End - #26

SwashbucklerGuy

Really? I guess I'll have to re-watch it them.
    I heartily recommend it!

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Really? I guess I'll have to re-watch it them. I only vaguely remember the shooting squad jokes.
    I think that episode is the funniest one in the whole show. "Gentlemen, you have heard all the evidence presented before you today, but in the end it is up to the conscience of your hearts to decide, and I firmly believe that like me you will conclude that Captain Blackadder is in fact totally and utterly GUILTY!" *turns page over* "Of nothing more than trying to do his duty under difficult circumstances."

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

Captain Blackadder: How are you feeling, Darling?

Captain Darling: Ahm... not all that good, Blackadder. Rather hoped I'd get through the whole show. Go back to work at Pratt and Sons, keep wicket for the Croydon Gentlemen, marry Doris... Made a note in my diary on the way here. Simply says: "Bugger.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Never seen it, but the name reminds me...

It's not British, but I'm going to toss out Better Off Ted. Absolutely fantastic series, and it's a damn crime that it only ran two seasons.
    Oh man, that show was so good! I mean, I guess some minor things were not great but overall it's a show I can easily go back to watching.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Much love for Blackadder. As soon as I learned that there was a DVD collection, I bought it and watched it several times.

I have to say though, I'm surprised that the fourth series seems to be so popular here. Powerful ending shot aside, it was the series that worked the least for me. It's still good, but for me the second and third series are the best. And the Christmas special. Oh lordy, that Christmas special is nearly perfect.
    Work is the scourge of the gaming classes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Neither Evershifting List of Perfectly Prepared Spells nor Grounds to Howl at the DM If I Ever Lose is actually a wizard class feature.