New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default [Nexus] Riverside II

OP will be updated soon to reflect the current state of the city.

This thread is for Riverside. Riverside is currently just an average big city, run by three competing factions.

The residents who live here are not super-powered. They rely on the healing abilities of Gersemi, and now Melody, from her little island in the lake nearby.

Riverside is the only city in a area filled with villages and one or two other towns. One of which is Beddling.

Riverside is outside the influence of Inside, and therefore the Empire.

Factions
    Spoiler
    Show
    Northside
    Spoiler
    Show
    Norhtside, the richer part of Riverside. If you have money then you can get just about anything in Northside. That is if you know the right people. There is something odd about this part of Riverside though. Hardly a beggar or street urchin to be seen. In fact for a place of scum and villainy this place is too clean. Northside is the one that wears the best mask in Riverside. The best at covering up deaths and drug deals. The best at making everyone think that there is nothing wrong because everybody pays their protectors and rulers of Northside with what they ask for.

The followers of Scaal are spoken of in hushed tones. When a black robed figure goes by people stop talking and give him the space he needs. These are the followers of Scaal. Not much is known about them besides they possess great magic, they protect this part of the city and its inhabitants for the right price, and rumors have it that Scaal is some sort of god or demon perhaps. This is Northside. A rich mask that hides the dirty city for what it is.

Eastside

Westside

Places Within
    Spoiler
    Show
    Golden Flagon Tavern
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Golden Flagon Tavern was the main hideout of the local mafia, when it was run by Johan.

After a confrontation with Reinholdt, Johan was killed, and the Golden Flagon nearly destroyed. It's current owner is in the midst of restoration.

Moth Park
    Spoiler
    Show
    About 100 acres big, the moth park is approximately rectangular in shape, with a bandshell/performance stage at the north end, a soccer (football) field and softball diamond at the south and a forested area in the center.

It also holds two playgrounds (swing sets, slides, monkey bars) several fountains (most of which are nonfunctional) various statues and a network of walking paths.

Since the re-opening, Moth park is pretty popular with the local residents as well as those who come into the area to work or visit.

The park have a park guard which keeps out most small-time criminals and drug-dealers which makes it considered safe, at least during day time.

Sawyer's Inn
    Spoiler
    Show
    The inside of Sawyer's is beautiful, though humble. Whoever keeps the place, keeps it in fine condition.

The dark wooden floors are waxed and shiny. There are four wooden pillars that reach up to the ceiling. The four walls are painted in a brick red, with light grey accents.

Along the left wall there is a large hearth fire burning, with a dog and cat sleeping together. The dog raises it's head slightly to observe the newcomers, but doesn't rush to sniff them out.

Along the right wall is the customer service area, with a dining hall just past it. The smell of freshly baked bread and some kind of meat can be smelled eminating from beyond.

And then there is the back wall. There is a set of stairs leading up and another leading down. Both sets are made of the same wood as the pillars and floor.

Exbourne Manor
    Spoiler
    Show
    Basement: The servant quarters, for dominated mortals, is set up neatly with a row of beds, as well as a relaxation section with comfy chairs and sofas. Plenty of plushies have been provided for the mortals to snuggle with, as well as some non-violent games and toys. There's no television or books though. Bathrooms have been installed for the mortals to use as well. It's all very comfortable and pleasant, except for the part about being eaten at any time.

Ground floor: The ground floor is brightly decorated with colourful paints and vases of flowers. One might have a hard time believing it was the home of vampires. Important rooms include Ramiro's office, kitchen, living room, Aunt Riley's bedroom, Mateo's bedroom.

2nd floor: The second floor is, like the ground floor, brightly decorated. It mostly contains bedrooms. Notable rooms include Gabriel and Tia's room.

3rd floor: The third floor is also bright and cheery. Similar to0 the second floor, there are mostly bedrooms.

Attic: The attic is the only floor of the house not painted brightly. It serves little purpose except as access to the tower. Ghar's room is also here, but there is no visible entrance.

Tower: A small toward was added since the vampires moved in. It serves to house the spell that keeps Westside in perpetual darkness. At the top room of the tower, in the middle of the room is what appears to be a mass of unnatural darkness. It also functions as a watchtower of sorts, and a at least three vampires can be found patrolling it.

History by Lex-kat
    Spoiler
    Show
    Long, long ago, Riverside was a simple fishing village.

It was able to blossom into a city once trade begun, because of it's placement not only on the river, but between most of the other small villages within this area of the Nexus.

Of course, this means that the Merchants were able to take over the government of the city. But other than that, it remained quite peaceful.

Very few other cities attack Riverside, and it would remain neutral in conflicts. Though, due to the few that did try to attack it, the citizens of Riverside did develop a small military force. For protection purposes only, of course.

For years, Riverside grew in power, yet never exerted it over any of the other villages. That is, until a man named Johnny Duluth came to power.

At first, the people loved him. He was fair and just. And soon, he brought even more prosperity to Riverside.

Then a change. A small force of unknown marauders besieged the city. Mayor Johnny declared a state of emergency, reorganized the military, and with the help of some of his aides, transformed them into a offensive unit.

After a long 4 month battle, Riverside won a decisive victory. But they didn't stop there. Mayor Johnny declared that a nearby village was responsible for the attack.

He personally led the military and crushed the village with no resistance.

Some Merchants balked at this, and tried to warn the citizens of the dangers of allowing Mayor Johnny to take this power.

They were all silenced, one way or the other. Bought off, murdered, or their families kidnapped and held hostage.

By the time the residents realized what was happening, it was too late. They found themselves over run by the same marauders that they had "defeated" before.

Soon, the city was run by a Mafia-dictatorship, and Johnny Duluth was it's mayor.

What the citizens didn't know, was that Johnny Duluth was just a puppet. There was another man pulling his strings.

Ezekial Von Hookes, a prominent member of the Merchant class had employed Johnny for just this. He even arranged for his own daughter, Patricia, to be kidnapped, tortured, and finally returned to him a gibbering mess.

Mayor Johnny ruled Riverside for thirty years, before dying of a sudden heart attack at the age of 78.

A kinder, gentler man took his place, returning Riverside to a peaceful, defensive center of commerce it was before Johnny Duluth took over.

The citizens were happy. But deep within the dark corners, and under the city foundations, the Mafia still ruled. Ezekial passed his hidden empire to his son-in-law, Cameron.

Cameron and Patricia (yes that Patricia) had a son, Frederick Von Hookes. Cameron raised his son to be his successor. Slowly the citizens of Riverside became aware, yet intentionally ignorant, of the criminals that were truly in charge.

People would disappear, and the police did nothing. There were rumors of daughters from surrounding villages being kidnapped and sold to wealthy men, or held under the bar for the local prostitution ring.

By the time Frederick "retired", and Jonah took over, everyone in the city knew that the city was run by a mostly hidden group of men, maybe some women.

When Reinholdt came to town, and murdered Johan, and set the prostitutes free, business came to a screeching halt.

The Green Flagon Bar, where Johan ran his business out of, shut down for repairs. But has only just recently reopened.

There is rumors that Frederick has returned. ASnd people are afraid. Where Johan was cunning, Frederick was brutal.

++++++++++++++++++

The police are owned by the Mafia. Unless you wish to die, you turn a blind eye to any crime you see.

For the most part, the citizens are protected. Only those who try to reform or change the current system find themselves on the wrong end of the "law".

Otherwise, the victims are from the more rural villages surrounding Riverside.

The Mafia has dealings with people in other large cities, including the Empire run Inside. Though most of those are in deep hiding since the Empire took over.

More recently, SAINT, the Assassins guild has sprung up in the cities underworld. Since there has been no fighting between the guild and the Mafia, it is assumed that they have a peaceful agreement with each other.

Of course, in the most recent happenings, the Golden Flagon has been shot up recently when a human female and some blue girl came asking questions.

Soon after they disappeared, an earthquake struck the twon, felling many buildings. A strange man named Riv is reported to have been to blame. How that can be, the citizens do not know.

They are currently rebuilding.
    Last edited by Gullara; 2011-05-10 at 12:59 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [Nexus] Riverside II

Quote Originally Posted by TechnoScrabble View Post
    [Exbourne Manor]
    "Garrett Everett, Knight Errant in the Arcane Order of the Lantern, second in line to the Everett throne in the Verdant Solidarity. And you?" Garrett is quick to say. The tone of his voice is sharp, and gleams with venom.
    Garrett knows how to act around nobles. Be snoddy right back, or they'll eat you up.
    Carried over from previous thread.
    GLORIOUS SOVIET SNAIL SUPERTECHNOLOGY

Comrade L.E.S.S. by The Mad Hatter!

Quote Originally Posted by Viper9090 View Post
    My weirdest nightmare has just been replaced.
    (Recaiden) He lives!
    (Firedaemon33) Ia! Ia! TechnoScrabble F'Taghn!
    My job requires I leave without warning or explanation sometimes. I should be back within a few days each time.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

[Exbourne Manor]

"Child, don't pretend to be my equal. Now if you would explain why you are here." Ilztaonar replies with faint amusement in her voice.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

[Exbourne Manor]
    Garrett calms down and slackens his shoulders.
    "Sorry, it's sort of a reaction I've been taught. I'm trying to get rid of it. I'm here with Adele to find out why her parents haven't spoken to her in a while. I left for half a month and came back to find everything had gone t' ****e, but apparently, the Nexus is normally like this," Garrett's hand almost goes for his holy bowie knife, but stops in his pocket and instead he winds up eating a piece of candy.
    Not knowing your afraid of vampires is sort of weird here...

(Recaiden) He lives!
    My job requires I leave without warning or explanation sometimes. I should be back within a few days each time.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

[Exbourne Manor]

Ilztaonar (who needs a nickname) raises her eyebrows, "Adele is here? That's troubling." It seems she's forgotten for a moment that she is talking to someone beneath her.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Northside

A covered wagon pulled by a pair of giant beetles is making its way around this part of town. The black canvas is emblazoned with a white two-tailed scorpion symbol, and the wagon is driven by a red-skinned humanoid with stubby horns.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

[Exbourne Manor]
    "Please don't wake her. She's had a rough night, and I don't know if she got any good sleep. I certainly couldn't with all that shouting," Garrett doesn't know this woman, doesn't consider himself a part of this community yet, and sees no signs of ranking, so as far as he's concerned, they're equals.

(Recaiden) He lives!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

[Exbourne Manor]

I guess he doesn't know a lot about the drow then. Ilztaonar better that your average drow female at least.

The drow looks down at him in contempt. "I wasn't going to wake her. Now if you excuse me, I have more important thing to do than talk to a child." Like talk to Ramiro about the aforementioned shouting.

And she walks off.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

[Exbourne Manor]
    Garrett shakes his head and sighs as she walks off.
    All he knows of drow is that there's a metric ****e ton of them in the Nexus for some reason and that they all seem to go against the horror stories he's heard.
    Not by much, but at least he's not a slave and hasn't been skinned alive or raped yet. He has to appreciate that.
    He's still wary around them, though.

(Recaiden) He lives!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by iElf View Post
    a contract is printed out of the suitcase "here. sign on pages 1,22, and 47"
    Dalev pulls a pen from his pocket, almost signs, then stops. I trust there is a clause in here promising that you will not brainwash, torture or otherwise harm citizens, including those under your employ?
    Meese Mobster by smuchmuch.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ThirdEmperor View Post
    Dalev pulls a pen from his pocket, almost signs, then stops. I trust there is a clause in here promising that you will not brainwash, torture or otherwise harm citizens, including those under your employ?
    "page 13 paragraph 22. check if you like"

thanks beansy!
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12

[Cathedral]

He does indeed check.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

[Cathedral]

He does indeed check.

"any employees employed in the east side of riverside will not be harmed mentally or physically"

thanks beansy!
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14

[Cathedral]

Dalev signs in the required places, then hands the contract back. Gentlemen, we have a deal.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

[Exbourne Manor]
    Garrett looks around for a kitchen, if he finds it, he looks for someone to ask for permission to eat the food.

(Recaiden) He lives!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

[Exbourne Manor]

A servant walks up to Garrett. "Feel free to help yourself."

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

The men nod "building will start tomorrow. and you will receive a shipment of a armed infantry platoon for a start"

thanks beansy!
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RPGsr4me View Post
    [Exbourne Manor]

A servant walks up to Garrett. "Feel free to help yourself."
    "Erm...thanks. I need to find some food, first, though." Garrett furrows his brows.
    Yay brow furrowing!

(Recaiden) He lives!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

[Northside]

Nighttime. Is... Is it supposed to be nighttime that quickly? Maybe its those pesky vampires from the manor. Hmm... No, seems like natural darkness.

Rot, probably with Libra in tow, stalks into the city. He, surprisingly, stays away from the darkness-covered side of the city. He has no business with those sparkly* wannabes. Instead, he walks down and around the streets of Northside, looking for... prey.

Magtok totally told him to!

*May not actually sparkle

Quote Originally Posted by Julius Caesar, Shakespeare
    Cowards die many times before their deaths;
    The valiant never taste of death but once.
    Of all the wonders that I yet have heard,
    It seems to me most strange that men should fear,
    Seeing that death, a necessary end,
    Will come when it will come.
    Nexus characters

20. - Top - End - #20

[Northside]

He may see Mortifer, leaning against the nearest available wall and trying to look cool. His face is noticeably pale, and he's glittering.

[Cathedral]

Thank you, will that be all?

21. - Top - End - #21

[Northside]

"Hey, Rot? Are we we supposed to get you food now?" Libra asks, a bit too loudly. "I mean, I got a great idea how we can get you food without killing anyone!" She exclaims.
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2011-01-14 at 06:11 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

[Northside]

He may see Mortifer, leaning against the nearest available wall and trying to look cool. His face is noticeably pale, and he's glittering.

[Cathedral]

Thank you, will that be all?
    both of them nod at the same time "that will be all for now" they get up and leave

((can I have control over the building site please?))

thanks beansy!
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23

(Yes, but I hold the right of taking over Eastside employees, as they're somewhat mind-controlled.)

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

(Yes, but I hold the right of taking over Eastside employees, as they're somewhat mind-controlled.)
    ((the troops Eastside will be usable by you, but I'll still have the last say, and I can take full control over them if necessary

thanks beansy!
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25

(Sound okay.)

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

[Northside]

"Yes, Libra, but I have a great idea to get me food by killing anyone."

Rot grins. Then... Sees... Mortifer Antonio. Is he actually a vampire with glitter on, or a human with glitter on?

Woah. Rot just threw a hatchet at him! I mean, there wasn't even any provocation, the vampire just threw a freaking axe!

"THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING?!"

Sparkling.

Quote Originally Posted by Julius Caesar, Shakespeare
    Cowards die many times before their deaths;
    The valiant never taste of death but once.
    Of all the wonders that I yet have heard,
    It seems to me most strange that men should fear,
    Seeing that death, a necessary end,
    Will come when it will come.
    Nexus characters

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TechnoScrabble View Post
    "Erm...thanks. I need to find some food, first, though." Garrett furrows his brows.
    Yay brow furrowing!
    There are obvious pantries and fridges. They are made even more obvious when the servant points at them.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

[Exbourne Manor]
    ((Well I didn't know he had found the kitchen!))
    Garrett thanks the servant and looks around in the pantries and cupboards and drawers for the following:
    Five eggs.
    A skillet
    Some butter
    A fork
    A spatula
    Half a fist sized block of sharp cheddar
    Some hot salsa
    Some tabasco sauce or other spicy sauce
    Some onions
    Some green peppers
    And bacon or precooked sausage.

(Recaiden) He lives!

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

[Exbourne Manor]

And he finds it all. Yay!

The vampires keep their servants and guests well fed. The best way to reinforce mind control is good treatment.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

[Exbourne Manor]
    Garrett sets about making enough omelette's to feed three people. He mixes in several spices and all the aforementioned ingredients, and soon the wonderful smell should be wafting through the house.

(Recaiden) He lives!