New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 23 of 50 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122232425262728293031323348 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #661
    Halfling in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Default Re: [Rail IC] Academy City

Quote Originally Posted by Callos_DeTerran View Post
    Sakurako

Sakurako listens to Walter's seemingly distressed explanation for how he had bumped into her with a seemingly infinite patience that was expected of older students (at least in Japan, where Sakurako was from), but by the end of it she has a smile on her face.

In just a moment or two she's pulled out her headset and opened it up to display the plastic screen that acted as a computer monitor, holding it up so that the new guy could see it.

"If you are new, then you definitely want to get one of these as soon as you can. It's invaluable for finding your way around the city in a hurry and has helped me get to a disturbance fast enough to make a difference more then a few times." She suggests helpfully before folding it back up and slipping it back into one of her concealed pockets. Afterwords her head tilts to the side as she appraises the foreign boy silently.

"Hmm...it's bad luck for one's partner to be sick during their training period...Well. If you believe in that sort of thing anyway." Sakurako muses aloud before a faint flush comes to her own cheeks, "Ah, my apologies as well! I should have been paying closer attention to where I was going too!"
    Walter looks on at the device, wondering how expensive it must be...."I think I saw one of those in a shop window on my way here, somewhere... it looked a bit expensive though. And no, its fine, I'm the one who's getting too far into my own harmonica playing when I should be paying a bit more attention to my surroundings, being judgement and all..."

Walter akwardly looks to the side, a slight bit flushed on his cheeks.
    Last edited by ace_cipher_zero; 2010-12-12 at 01:40 PM.

2. - Top - End - #662
    Ettin in the Playground

When Jane looked up again, she'd discover Jirou staring right at her. It was the same intense, expectant look he'd given her when the game had first started.

"[Hey, still with us? It's your turn. I know you wanna just sit back and mope right now, but there's no time; The game keeps going whether you want it to or not.]"

3. - Top - End - #663
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anyr View Post
    When Jane looked up again, she'd discover Jirou staring right at her. It was the same intense, expectant look he'd given her when the game had first started.

"[Hey, still with us? It's your turn. I know you wanna just sit back and mope right now, but there's no time; The game keeps going whether you want it to or not.]"
    Could this guy just stop staring at her already? Honestly it wasn't like she was this big price or anything. Why was he staring at her like that? Did she have something her face? Was there something stuck between her teeth or something? And she knew it was her turn, but could she at least get a second to think about her next move? Jane was all for liking a game but seriously... and yes this game did seem to keep going, and going, and going. Hopefully a winner would be decided soon and she could go home and find a bookstore or something like she had planned to.

She threw a couple of tiles on the table. <I believe this is called a 'Chow' or something.>
    (Christmas) Lillith Avatar by Serpetine
    Psylock Lillith Avatar by Bradakhan
    Ceras Lillith Avatar by Araveugnitsuga

4. - Top - End - #664
    Dwarf in the Playground

<That is indeed a chow, and a very nice one at that, but not quite as good as...>

Cale shuffled around a few tiles in his hand and grabbed Jane's recently discarded tile from the table.

<this one.>

5. - Top - End - #665
    Ettin in the Playground

Jirou's staring ceased the second that Jane took her turn. Now that she'd stopped disrupting the game's sacred flow, he no longer had a reason to look at her. It was a shame that she'd fallen so far out of rhythm now; He'd had a lot of fun bantering with her in the earlier stages of the game. It would be nice if she could get her act together again, but he knew better than to interfere. When a player lost their flow, it was up to them and them alone to get it back.

Besides, Jirou had bigger things to worry about; Like the fact that his intimidation strategy had completely failed. Cale was pushing ahead just as hard now as he had been before, smashing straight through Jirou's carefully constructed barriers. Either the man was far cleverer than he looked...or he'd been too busy gawking at pretty girls to even notice the bluff. Either way, Jirou was in trouble.

6. - Top - End - #666

Meanwhile...

"So... Tokiwadai Middle School, hmm?"

Avery wandered around the building lugging a suitcase as she tried to find the main office. The fact that her only source of a map is the pamphlet she was handed, this is going to take a while. But she's gonna find that office, one way or the other. Hopefully in a "Oh, it's right there" sort of way.

Adjusting her coat, she sighed as she thought to herself...
    "First day of school and I feel like the architect's MC Escher. Isn't that great."
    A well-placed bullet can stop anybody with an oversized sword.
    In real life that is.
    Everywhere else, you're screwed.

7. - Top - End - #667
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ace_cipher_zero View Post
    Walter looks on at the device, wondering how expensive it must be...."I think I saw one of those in a shop window on my way here, somewhere... it looked a bit expensive though. And no, its fine, I'm the one who's getting too far into my own harmonica playing when I should be paying a bit more attention to my surroundings, being judgement and all..."

Walter awkwardly looks to the side, a slight bit flushed on his cheeks.
    Sakurako

"It wasn't that expensive..." she mumbles to herself, looking a bit embarrassed before slipping the headset back into one of her pockets. Then again, her uniform identifies her as a student of Tokiwadai Middle School, so what she considered cheap was usually a bit more expensive then what other people were used to. An awkward silence falls over the conversation, prompting her to bundle her coat a bit tighter around her against the cold.

"Well...uh...you should talk to your captain about getting one for you. These things really are life-savers!" the redhead finally says, stuffing her hands in her coat pockets, "So I have to ask...why a harmonica? Aren't there other handheld instruments you could carry around that sound better?"
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

8. - Top - End - #668
    Halfling in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Walter

With the mention of the price, Walter blushed a little less hard, and his akwardness was toned down a bit. However, just as any male human has experienced, someone of the opposite gender tends to take away their capacity for moving conversations forward.

However, at the mention of the Harmonica, he lightened up to his usual bright self, with a nice cheery grin and eagerness to talk about music, which he could go on with for hours if required to. "Well, yes, there certainly are plenty of other instruments I could play, but most, like a sax, trombone, trumpet, flute, etc., are big and bulky, and probably would end up giving half the people that pass by me a nice big bump on their head, and me several shattered teeth (I mean, you know firsthand how animated I can get, from firsthand experience). The few that won't be an obstruction to other people are piccolos, pan pipes and kazoos, and well, I'm also a guitarist, so Piccolos are right out since I need my hands, and the other two... well, almost nobody likes them, because they sound terrible. And anyways I'm into a lot of blues, and rock, and some C&W, where its a useful instrument to have.

How about you, do you play any kind of musical instruments?" With that, Walter beams a big smile, having had his usual cool, smooth persona, something that had been hiding for months under the akwardness of living with a power that separated him from others rather than united him with them, surfaced. And man, did it feel so good.

9. - Top - End - #669
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keveak View Post
    Katsu throws his arms in the air exitedly

"Me too! How did yours go? Did it shoot nails at you? Or fire?"
    "Didn't have much time to do much of anything, really... I sort of went overboard on it."

She looks a bit embaressed.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Revlid View Post
    And so it was that Zaeed, Aang, Winry, Ezio, Sadoko and Snow White all set out on their epic journey to destroy The Empire.

God I love Exalted.

Gold Dragon avatar by Serpentine

10. - Top - End - #670
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: [Rail IC] Academy City

Quote Originally Posted by horngeek View Post
    "Didn't have much time to do much of anything, really... I sort of went overboard on it."

She looks a bit embaressed.
    "Awesome! I couldn't even do anything to mine"

He tilts his head as he notices she doesn't sound very exited about having beat a giant robot

"What's wrong? Did you break something when it attacked? You look kind of like you did"

He doesn't appear to quite grasp the concept of being embarrassed about one's powers.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

11. - Top - End - #671
    Ogre in the Playground

"I... tend to lock my emotions away when fighting, and it freaked some people out."

Spoiler
    Show
    And so it was that Zaeed, Aang, Winry, Ezio, Sadoko and Snow White all set out on their epic journey to destroy The Empire.

God I love Exalted.

12. - Top - End - #672
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

"That's too bad"

Katsu is almost immediately struck by an idea, you can almost see the light bulb above his head

"You just need more emotion afterwards to make up for it! Then they won't be freaked out!"

He looks at Tsubasa expectantly to see what she thinks about his idea.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

13. - Top - End - #673
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hanzo66 View Post
    Meanwhile...

"So... Tokiwadai Middle School, hmm?"

Avery wandered around the building lugging a suitcase as she tried to find the main office. The fact that her only source of a map is the pamphlet she was handed, this is going to take a while. But she's gonna find that office, one way or the other. Hopefully in a "Oh, it's right there" sort of way.

Adjusting her coat, she sighed as she thought to herself...
    "First day of school and I feel like the architect's MC Escher. Isn't that great."
    The Tokiwadai building was imposing to say the least. It was one of those places which seemed to look down on people with a critical eye, questioning whether they were good enough to be there. Of all the times for someone to first visit Tokiwadai, weekends were the worst. At least on a weekday there would have been other girls around to fill the empty spaces; Today there was no such comfort.

As if to add to the atmosphere, the main door unlocked with a click as Avery approached it. Probably some sort of high-tech security system. After some wandering through the silent and empty hallways, she'd eventually come across her destination: An imposing oak-panelled door, on which stood the words 'Chief Administrator'.

14. - Top - End - #674

"Huh. That felt kinda like an Out Of Body experience. Wonder why?"

Shrugging, Avery nevertheless decided that at least she got to where she needed. Looking up at the door, she sighed to herself as she proceeded to knock three times.

The empty hallways sorta makes her feel a bit uneased. Not quite "Why am I in a horror film" kind of creepy, but still not in the greatest of moods. The name "Chief Administrator" doesn't help. It sounds like a supercomputer that controls the city and goes haywire. Then again, considering the world that she lives in, that's not entirely impossible.
    In real life that is.

15. - Top - End - #675
    Ettin in the Playground

"Enter."

The word was clear and precise, yet somehow slightly unreal. Like the door, it seemed as if it belonged in another time and place. It was only when said door swung open (again by itself) that the illusion was shattered. Rather than revealing a victorian parlour adorned with fine china, the office inside was about as modern as they came. From the furniture to the computer to the decorations, there wasn't a single thing in it that seemed even slightly dated...

...Except, that is, for the Chief Administrator herself. Sitting behind a well-organised desk was a woman who'd practically stepped straight out of a period novel. She honestly looked more like a concept than a person; As if someone had taken the word 'Headmistress' and somehow given it flesh. Or (better still) as if this was one big practical joke, with the real Administrator waiting to jump out from behind a conveniently placed potted plant.

"Miss Avery Tychus, I presume?"

If so, they couldn't do it soon enough.
    Last edited by Anyr; 2010-12-19 at 04:44 AM.

16. - Top - End - #676
    Ogre in the Playground

"That's too bad"

Katsu is almost immediately struck by an idea, you can almost see the light bulb above his head

"You just need more emotion afterwards to make up for it! Then they won't be freaked out!"

He looks at Tsubasa expectantly to see what she thinks about his idea.
    "Um... great idea, but it takes me a while to make the switch back."

Spoiler
    Show

God I love Exalted.

17. - Top - End - #677
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Katsu looks happy that she apparently liked his idea

"Why do you make the switch? Are you a robot too?"

He look at her face, trying to find signs of robotiness

"Or is it part of your power? Or both?"

The speedster doesn't look like he would find being an Esper robot a bad thing, nor as implaudsible as a robot with biological powers is.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

18. - Top - End - #678

"Enter."

The word was clear and precise, yet somehow slightly unreal. Like the door, it seemed as if it belonged in another time and place. It was only when said door swung open (again by itself) that the illusion was shattered. Rather than revealing a victorian parlour adorned with fine china, the office inside was about as modern as they came. From the furniture to the computer to the decorations, there wasn't a single thing in it that seemed even slightly dated...

...Except, that is, for the Chief Administrator herself. Sitting behind a well-organised desk was a woman who'd practically stepped straight out of a period novel. She honestly looked more like a concept than a person; As if someone had taken the word 'Headmistress' and somehow given it flesh. Or (better still) as if this was one big practical joke, with the real Administrator waiting to jump out from behind a conveniently placed potted plant.

"Miss Avery Tychus, I presume?"

If so, they couldn't do it soon enough.

OK, she wasn't too far off the mark. This was her second guess.
    "Yes. Yes she is."

As she felt herself being evaluated with her eyes, Avery stood in as rigid a form as she could. She felt the urge to salute, but that would probably be taken as a sign of being snide.
    In real life that is.

19. - Top - End - #679
    Ettin in the Playground

Apparently this had been the right attitude to adopt. The Administrator indicated this not so much by actual praise, but rather through a lack of criticism.

"Then be seated. I have little time to waste today."

Assuming that Avery seated herself promptly, the woman would continue.

"Now, I trust you understand the great honour that has befallen you. Being accepted into the most prestigious girls' school in the world is not something to be taken lightly. You are now part of an elite class of student; One of the privileged few who are chosen to stand far above all others. No longer is it sufficient for you to simply succeed or even excel in your chosen fields of study. From now on you are expected to be no less than the standard to which all lesser students aspire."

Here she paused, looking questioningly at Avery. No question had been asked, yet she was clearly expecting something from the young girl who sat before her. Was this a test? Obviously; Everything here was a test.

20. - Top - End - #680

Apparently this had been the right attitude to adopt. The Administrator indicated this not so much by actual praise, but rather through a lack of criticism.

"Then be seated. I have little time to waste today."

Assuming that Avery seated herself promptly, the woman would continue.

"Now, I trust you understand the great honour that has befallen you. Being accepted into the most prestigious girls' school in the world is not something to be taken lightly. You are now part of an elite class of student; One of the privileged few who are chosen to stand far above all others. No longer is it sufficient for you to simply succeed or even excel in your chosen fields of study. From now on you are expected to be no less than the standard to which all lesser students aspire."

Here she paused, looking questioningly at Avery. No question had been asked, yet she was clearly expecting something from the young girl who sat before her. Was this a test? Obviously; Everything here was a test.
    With a solemn face, Avery responded with a slow but firm nod. She avoided opening her mouth because she's afraid of how what she says can be used against her. Hell, her silence can somehow be used against her. However, her dialogue choices are legion in how the could go wrong...

Everthing was a test indeed...
    In real life that is.

21. - Top - End - #681
    Ettin in the Playground

There was a heavy period of silence while the Administrator weighed Avery's reaction. Eventually she spoke again, giving no indication as to what conclusions had been reached.

"Understand that these truths are no convenient mottos, to be cast aside at the end of the school day. They are fundamental principles which should remain in force no matter how far you venture from these walls. Whether sitting for the most important exams or taking part in the most casual of outings, you remain a student of Tokiwadai. You will uphold the tenets on which this school stands, and bear our emblem with pride."

With these words she shifted her focus to one side of the room. Hanging on a convenient hook was an immaculate school uniform, with not even a single crease or speck of dust anywhere on it.

"This is your uniform. It will serve as a constant reminder of this school's principles, because like them it will stay with you even when the lessons of the day are over. From now on you are not to be seen in public without it. Any identity inherent in the clothes you formerly wore is now gone; This uniform is the only identity you will need.

There is a bathroom over there where you can get changed.
    "

There was no room for argument in these statements; No polite request for Avery to ease into this new role at her convenience. The only thing that mattered was that she was now a student of Tokiwadai, starting right this very second. On the hangar her new identity waited, clean and flawless; No doubt she would be thrilled to wear it with pride...

22. - Top - End - #682
    Ogre in the Playground

Katsu looks happy that she apparently liked his idea

"Why do you make the switch? Are you a robot too?"

He look at her face, trying to find signs of robotiness

"Or is it part of your power? Or both?"

The speedster doesn't look like he would find being an Esper robot a bad thing, nor as implaudsible as a robot with biological powers is.
    Tsubasa shakes her head. "No, I'm not a robot! No one's been able to figure out why it happens, I just do it automatically. They think it might be linked to my power, since it only started when I developed my Esper abilities, and it's gotten more... pronounced as I've developed further."

She shrugs. "Maybe my mind's trying to deal with all the minutiae of my powers, since I can affect stuff in such a wide area."

Spoiler
    Show

God I love Exalted.

23. - Top - End - #683
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Katsu looks thoughtful for a second, he's been doing that a lot lately.

"What are your powers? They sound mean, making you all robotty when you don't want to"

He continues thinking, which would probably be more useful if he knew anything about Esper biology ad psychology

"Maybe you're using too much of them at once? maybe you need to use it in smaller doses?"
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

24. - Top - End - #684
    Ogre in the Playground

"I can control the wind, basically."

Spoiler
    Show

God I love Exalted.

25. - Top - End - #685
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

"Awesome!"

Katsu looks excited and confused at the same time

"But why would that make you emotionless? That's a bit weird"

And before Tsubasa can repsond he reaches a conclusion

"Let's go find out!"
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

26. - Top - End - #686
    Ogre in the Playground

"Wait, what?"

Spoiler
    Show

God I love Exalted.

27. - Top - End - #687
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

"Well, you're never gonna know why it happens if you just sit around talking about it"

Katsu says with a grin, his optimism is almost contagious.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

28. - Top - End - #688
    Ogre in the Playground

"Well, I suppose so..."

Spoiler
    Show

God I love Exalted.

29. - Top - End - #689
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jirou's staring ceased the second that Jane took her turn. Now that she'd stopped disrupting the game's sacred flow, he no longer had a reason to look at her. It was a shame that she'd fallen so far out of rhythm now; He'd had a lot of fun bantering with her in the earlier stages of the game. It would be nice if she could get her act together again, but he knew better than to interfere. When a player lost their flow, it was up to them and them alone to get it back.

Besides, Jirou had bigger things to worry about; Like the fact that his intimidation strategy had completely failed. Cale was pushing ahead just as hard now as he had been before, smashing straight through Jirou's carefully constructed barriers. Either the man was far cleverer than he looked...or he'd been too busy gawking at pretty girls to even notice the bluff. Either way, Jirou was in trouble.

Cale played on without really thinking about the course of the game, while focusing on trying to stop Jane from getting al depressed by Jirou's words, wich was kind of hard

Now of course, Cale not paying attention to the game didn't mean he was playing badly, just that most of the true fun of mahjong (intimidation, etc.) flew right past him.

"<Don't worry Jane, I can teach you some more later if you want, and you're doing way better then I did in my first game.>"

30. - Top - End - #690

There was a heavy period of silence while the Administrator weighed Avery's reaction. Eventually she spoke again, giving no indication as to what conclusions had been reached.

"Understand that these truths are no convenient mottos, to be cast aside at the end of the school day. They are fundamental principles which should remain in force no matter how far you venture from these walls. Whether sitting for the most important exams or taking part in the most casual of outings, you remain a student of Tokiwadai. You will uphold the tenets on which this school stands, and bear our emblem with pride."

With these words she shifted her focus to one side of the room. Hanging on a convenient hook was an immaculate school uniform, with not even a single crease or speck of dust anywhere on it.

"This is your uniform. It will serve as a constant reminder of this school's principles, because like them it will stay with you even when the lessons of the day are over. From now on you are not to be seen in public without it. Any identity inherent in the clothes you formerly wore is now gone; This uniform is the only identity you will need.

There is a bathroom over there where you can get changed.
    "

There was no room for argument in these statements; No polite request for Avery to ease into this new role at her convenience. The only thing that mattered was that she was now a student of Tokiwadai, starting right this very second. On the hangar her new identity waited, clean and flawless; No doubt she would be thrilled to wear it with pride...
    Huh, a uniform.

Well, it looks nice. It could be worse. Way worse. With a nod, she told the Chief Administrator...
    "Yes. I will. Ma'am."

Taking the uniform off the hangar, Avery marched her way into the bathroom to change, never relaxing her stance until she made it inside. Entering a stall, she hung up the uniform as she pondered to herself the future. Really, she didn't exactly ask to attend the school, but her parents made sure she got into the best.

But then again, does this mean she actually has to completely change who she is?
    "Hell no! Erm *clears throat* hell no."

She'll play by the rules, but it doesn't mean she has to mold herself into a perfect drone. There's not point in it! In fact, that's probably one of the secret tests of the Chiefministrator!

Still, the uniform's actually kinda fetching though...

(MINUTES LATER)

Avery re-enters the office of the Chief Administrator and sits back on her sea in as perfect a posture she could. Wearing the uniform, she also wore her regular trench coat over it, though open to show her affiliations. Nodding, she stated...
    "I-I've done as you've complied. Ma'am."
    In real life that is.