New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 27 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2171819202122232425262728293031323334353637 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #781
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Dark Shadow's Surprisingly Well-Lit Random Banter #217

Quote Originally Posted by Mith View Post
    Define "saucier"
    Why, when yours is so perfect?
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

2. - Top - End - #782
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    Uh... no. It would ruin it. This brown sauce is a bland gravy made by melting butter, frying flour and adding water & a beef stock cube. Balsamic vinegar would **** it all up.
    ah, you crazy finns!

I am still going to try it. I like using my own beef stock seasoned with the same as what I used on the meat. Yummers!
    Last edited by Insane Jeenyus; 2018-01-12 at 03:14 PM.
    Has any one seen my jar of anti-protons or my cyclotron of positrons?

Quote Originally Posted by Sermil View Post

How many surrealist painters does it take to change a light bulb?
    Soup made from multicolored machine parts
    Side employment:
    Professor Emeritus:Studies of Supernatural Events and Countermeasures;

Miscatonic University, Nashville Campus

sig thread is here

3. - Top - End - #783
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    I'll just call all of the rest of you sauce elitists from now on.
    Maybe? Worked late-shift as a line cook in a two star restaurant for some years to finance university and that taught me a lot about efficient (french-style) cooking.
    Cooking always stayed by hobby and I can state with pretty much confidence that I'm good at it.

4. - Top - End - #784
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Florian View Post
    Say what you want, but the French put method and thought to the culinary arts, especially when it comes to avoiding waste and using anything there is available.
    Warkitty is pretty much correct at pointing out that there're "Mother Sauces" that you should learn to cook by rote and that you can do endless variations based on these, fitting for nearly any dish.
    Plenty of dishes are better with other sauces though. Teriyaki sauce isn't likely to be replaced by a Mother Sauce well at all, as just one obvious example. The Mother Sauces don't work too well with the five major spices of Schezuan cooking, as another.

Last time I had mashed potatoes, I had them with ginger, garlic, lemon pepper, and soy sauce. It was delicious.

5. - Top - End - #785
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    Plenty of dishes are better with other sauces though. Teriyaki sauce isn't likely to be replaced by a Mother Sauce well at all, as just one obvious example. The Mother Sauces don't work too well with the five major spices of Schezuan cooking, as another.

Last time I had mashed potatoes, I had them with ginger, garlic, lemon pepper, and soy sauce. It was delicious.
    Less reflex, more thinking, friend Knaight.

Edit: Notice the major point being about efficiency and reducing waste. Yes, going for, say, japanese style cuisine is good, but you also have to stock the basics to do it, from soy sauce, mirin, sake, learn to do your basic Dash and so on. But that is missing the point, which is "do more with less".
    Last edited by Florian; 2018-01-12 at 04:31 PM.

6. - Top - End - #786
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kinglinus1 View Post
    I think we all have seen some threads gone way off course, does anyone have any favorites?

Threads are at their best when the run free!

Such great threads as

First time DM'ing and already killed a character

and

My players have rescued a bunch of Drow kids

And more recently:

How can someone be fit without going to the gym? Also, I hate sports.

can't have thrived caged!

Their awesomicity shines as an example to us all!

As I recall, a gifted but alcoholic scientist and his long suffering wife who were the only humans on a coastal island fend off the marauding threads until they discover that seawater dissolves them.

....or was it the cold virus that defeats the wild threads?

But... when threads reach the age of thirty they can "renew" by going to Carousel.

Unless they run for Sanctuary...

...... SOYLENT THREADS ARE PEOPLE! PEOPLE I TELL YOU!

"Even a thread who is pure in heart and says their prayers by night may run amok when the wolfbane blooms and Autumn moon is bright."

"Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of threads?

The Forum knows."

In celebration of all the wild creatures threads:

♫ Born free, as free as the wind blows ♫

As free as the grass grows
    Born free to follow your heart

Live free and beauty surrounds you
    The world still astounds you
    Each time you look at a star

Stay free where no walls divide you
    You're free as the roaring tide
    So there's no need to hide

Born free and life is worth living
    But only worth living
    'Cause you're born free

Stay free where no walls divide you
    You're free as the roaring tide
    So there's no need to hide

Born free and life is worth living
    But only worth living
    ♫ 'Cause you're born free ♫

Also, I hate sports
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

7. - Top - End - #787
    Titan in the Playground

Less reflex, more thinking, friend Knaight.

Edit: Notice the major point being about efficiency and reducing waste. Yes, going for, say, japanese style cuisine is good, but you also have to stock the basics to do it, from soy sauce, mirin, sake, learn to do your basic Dash and so on. But that is missing the point, which is "do more with less".
    That's hardly unique to french cooking though - a wide variety of dishes can be made out of a lot of different sets of staple foods, and claiming that the Mother sauces are a good fit for almost any dish is extremely questionable. If you've got a different set of staple foods they're often just wrong.

Notably, French food is really heavy on flour and dairy. If your staples involve flour, milk, butter, and cheese you've got a lot of options from french food. If your staples involve rice, lentils, and vegetable oils, not so much. Heck, if your staples involve flour, olives, and fish it doesn't work that well. You have to stock the basics regardless, there's no advantage to French food in particular here unless you just assume that you already have those basics and that anything else is extra.

Japanese food was just one example, but much like French food you see the same approach towards reducing waste and doing a lot with a little. The standard dashi is a couple of ingredients used more than once for broths of varying strength, which in combination with only a few more ingredients also allows for a lot of variety. More than that, these alternate staples let you do all sorts of stuff you can't do with French cooking (and vice versa).

8. - Top - End - #788
    Ettin in the Playground

Say what you want, but the French put method and thought to the culinary arts, especially when it comes to avoiding waste and using anything there is available.
    Warkitty is pretty much correct at pointing out that there're "Mother Sauces" that you should learn to cook by rote and that you can do endless variations based on these, fitting for nearly any dish.
    Mostly it's a good principle because they're sauces based on what you make at home with fairly cheaply available ingredients. So you can get a lot of variety without having to spend a lot of money on prepackaged sauces.

Edit: This is assuming also that you're dealing with a general western world grocery store, as most of us are. So you probably have easier and cheaper access to butter, flour, and eggs than to things like ****ake mushrooms or dried fish.
    Last edited by WarKitty; 2018-01-12 at 10:01 PM.
    Hail to the Lord of Death and Destruction!
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! YARN FOR THE YARN THRONE! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!

9. - Top - End - #789
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'm definitely more from the French "mother sauces" side of cooking in how I learned to cook, but I suspect that there's a similar (in the sense of "everything else you tend to build from these starting points", not in the sense of "also made with flour and dairy") set of sauces in most cuisines, so it's a case of which staples you tend to keep around the house and whether or not they play well with each other.

I doubt hollandaise would freeze well because I remember it being a fussy thing in terms of wanting to turn into scrambled eggs if you didn't get the emulsion right, and I suspect that freezing would break it. I've never tried, though. (Frozen dinners with "hollandaise" sauce probably use something else to hold it all together that wouldn't be in a real hollandaise sauce. I know the jarred sauces do.) I am generally too lazy to make hollandaise sauce in the morning instead of just making omelettes instead of eggs benedict, so it's been a while since I've made it. (For some reason, separating eggs is one of those things that just seems like more trouble than it's worth to me unless it's a special occasion. Probably because I can never figure out what to do with whichever part of the egg the recipe didn't need so I end up either wasting food or making something weird to use it up.)

10. - Top - End - #790
    Colossus in the Playground

Today my boss tried to threaten me with the possibility of getting fired for taking a vacation. That is not a thing they are allowed to do.

Go jump off a cliff you ****ing bitch.

11. - Top - End - #791
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Today my boss tried to threaten me with the possibility of getting fired for taking a vacation. That is not a thing they are allowed to do.

Some bosses are like that. Trust me, I have one at my last job and it's was a disaster.

12. - Top - End - #792

Note to self: move to Canada.

13. - Top - End - #793
    Troll in the Playground

Oh, geez, Zodi.
    Sucks when your co-workers/bosses are... less than great.

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Don't worry. We have plenty of room. Especially if you go up a little bit north.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

14. - Top - End - #794

Yes, do that, it's very nice here.
    My completely awesome avatar (I call her Quill) has been generously crafted by the esteemed Honest Tiefling!

GENERATION 21: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.
    DEGENERATION 87: Copy this into your sig and subtract 1 from the degeneration when you first see it. This is an antisocial experiment.

Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good-looking) and your humility is stunning.

15. - Top - End - #795
    Titan in the Playground

Note to self: don't move to Canada
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

16. - Top - End - #796

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    Note to self: don't move to Canada
    You're missing the point that this isn't actually BAD because they can't actually fire me for taking a vacation, HT

17. - Top - End - #797
    Titan in the Playground

You're missing the point that this isn't actually BAD because they can't actually fire me for taking a vacation, HT
    Zodi, I once hit someone's car with a line of shopping carts (breaking their rear lights) and my job was never in question (as far as I know) until I quit because of schedule conflicts and my manager begged me to come back.

They can't fire you for taking a vacation. Fine. This is still a threat that is being made and that they will probably try to follow through on to some extent or another regardless because judging from our conversations your employers do not strike me as intelligent people

Also Canada is f#@$ing cold.
    Last edited by HalfTangible; 2018-01-13 at 03:05 AM.

Extended Sig

18. - Top - End - #798

Zodi, I once hit someone's car with a line of shopping carts (breaking their rear lights) and my job was never in question (as far as I know) until I quit because of schedule conflicts and my manager begged me to come back.

They can't fire you for taking a vacation. Fine. This is still a threat that is being made and that they will probably try to follow through on to some extent or another regardless because judging from our conversations your employers do not strike me as intelligent people

Also Canada is f#@$ing cold.
    They're just trying to hedge their bets on a mistake they made. It's not my fault they've dug their own hole, now they can lay in it. Gettin' me a vay-caaay.

This is valid reasoning though it's been around -48ish to -50ish Celcius for the whole week.

19. - Top - End - #799
    Titan in the Playground

I assume your employer had trouble finding (good) employees? Lacking enough personnel to staff your business does make one of your current ones quitting sting quite a bit, after all.

Also, the fact that you consider accidentally damaging someone else's property a valid ground for firing someone still says quite a lot...

And if they do that despite the laws, you can take legal action against them, and even the stupid employers tend to be aware of that possibility.
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

20. - Top - End - #800

This is valid reasoning though it's been around -48ish to -50ish Celcius for the whole week.
    Note to self: forget Canada, move deeper into Alabama.

21. - Top - End - #801
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WarKitty View Post
    Mostly it's a good principle because they're sauces based on what you make at home with fairly cheaply available ingredients. So you can get a lot of variety without having to spend a lot of money on prepackaged sauces.

Edit: This is assuming also that you're dealing with a general western world grocery store, as most of us are. So you probably have easier and cheaper access to butter, flour, and eggs than to things like ****ake mushrooms or dried fish.
    Point of view and experience, when you come down to it. I was born and raised in post-war rural Bavaria and that was a long shot from being a "1st World technological powerhouse" at that time and more like a 3rd world backwater country that doesn't know the power of a modern supply chain.

22. - Top - End - #802
    Troll in the Playground

Do you think ham can steam, even on the battlefield?
    “A STRONG MAN DOESN’T NEED TO PURCHASE FAST FOOD. HE MAKES HIS OWN.”
    Steamed Hams Rising: Revengeance
    There is no emotion more useless in life than hate.

23. - Top - End - #803
    Troll in the Playground

Move to Victoria instead. Rarely does it even dip into the negatives. You do need to deal with a fair bit of rain most of the year, though. The first 's' in 'West Coast' isn't silent for nothing.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

24. - Top - End - #804

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Move to Victoria instead. Rarely does it even dip into the negatives. You do need to deal with a fair bit of rain most of the year, though. The first 's' in 'West Coast' isn't silent for nothing.
    You have succeeded in turning my perception of Canada into a hellish wasteland. This is not what Corner Gas promised me.

25. - Top - End - #805
    Troll in the Playground

You have succeeded in turning my perception of Canada into a hellish wasteland. This is not what Corner Gas promised me.
    No, no, don't worry. We just have Hell's Gate here. Easy mistake to make.

26. - Top - End - #806

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee's Ye Olde Atlase
    Coastal southern British Columbia has a mild, rainy oceanic climate. The coldest temperature in British Columbia was recorded in Smith River, where it dropped to −74 °F on January 31, 1947, one of the coldest readings recorded anywhere in North America.

Birmingham has a humid subtropical climate, characterized by hot summers, mild winters, and abundant rainfall. The record low is −10 °F, set on February 13, 1899.
    Frozen hellscape, I say!

27. - Top - End - #807
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    Also, the fact that you consider accidentally damaging someone else's property a valid ground for firing someone still says quite a lot...
    To be fair:
    A) I was the only person who thought that, and
    B) We're not talking about smushing someone's bread, I damaged a car.

I barely hit freezing down here! Sometimes (as in once every few years) it snows enough to make a footprint!
    Last edited by HalfTangible; 2018-01-13 at 01:34 PM.

Extended Sig

28. - Top - End - #808
    Titan in the Playground

Frozen hellscape, I say!
    When you're used to a cross between a sauna and an oven, sure. Meanwhile those of us in the parts of the states which have mountains that actually get snowy once in a while are busy chuckling at that -10 F record.

Heck, I was working outside in -10 F earlier this month. Granted, that was when I had the misfortune of going up to Wyoming, but still.

29. - Top - End - #809

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    When you're used to a cross between a sauna and an oven, sure. Meanwhile those of us in the parts of the states which have mountains that actually get snowy once in a while are busy chuckling at that -10 F record.
    Cross between a sauna and a steam room, thankyouverymuch. I went to the Southwest one time. Damn near choked on that dry, oven-like air.

Also, you go ahead and chuckle at that -10º, I'll be here in my t-shirt and shorts swinging in my hammock. At least, i was a few days ago. Damn winter came back the other day...

30. - Top - End - #810

and hell is in Michigan.

interestingly, there are 29 "Hell's gates" listed in the world by Wikipedia.
    Has any one seen my jar of anti-protons or my cyclotron of positrons?

Quote Originally Posted by Sermil View Post

How many surrealist painters does it take to change a light bulb?
    Soup made from multicolored machine parts
    Side employment:
    Professor Emeritus:Studies of Supernatural Events and Countermeasures;

Miscatonic University, Nashville Campus

sig thread is here