New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomePirate

Default Help with an Epic level Malconvoker's Spell selection

As the topic says My most recent character just bit the dust and i decided to tryout a Wizard 12 / Malconvoker 9 /Cosmic Descryer 2 for my next character. My only problem is I have never played a summoner before.
    The only real spell I have set my mind on is Time stop(I will maximize it with a greater rod for best effect) and Haste. other than that I am pretty much lost as to what to choose, are there any suggestions out there?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Help with an Epic level Malconvoker's Spell selection

Snuggle up with Treantmonk!

Also, seriously consider changing Wizard12 to Wizard5/Prc7. Incantatrix (Player's Guide to Faerun 63) is wonderful for this!
    Last edited by Endarire; 2012-10-27 at 01:40 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by GPuzzle View Post
    And I do agree that the right answer to the magic/mundane problem is to make everyone badass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    If you're of a philosophical bent, the powergamer is a great example of Heidegger's modern technological man, who treats a game's mechanics as a standing reserve of undifferentiated resources that are to be used for his goals.
    My Complete Tome of Battle Maneuver/Stance/Class Overhaul

Arseplomancy = Fanatic Tarrasque!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NullShadow View Post
    As the topic says My most recent character just bit the dust and i decided to tryout a Wizard 12 / Malconvoker 9 /Cosmic Descryer 2 for my next character. My only problem is I have never played a summoner before.
    The only real spell I have set my mind on is Time stop(I will maximize it with a greater rod for best effect) and Haste. other than that I am pretty much lost as to what to choose, are there any suggestions out there?
    You'll want any summoning spell, obviously. Malconvoker provides you with the Planar Binding spells, but there's also a Dragon magazine spell called Implore that's all but essential for a good caller-summoner, since it allows you a 24 HD cap. Also be sure to take Epic Spellcasting. You'll have to become an outsider somehow and also grab the Infernal Bargainer feat. It'll give you another +2 HD, which when combined with Malconvoker (+2 Improved calling) and Cosmic Descryer (+4 at 1st level) takes Implore up to 32 HD. That's enough, I think, to call basically any demon lord/archdevil aspect from FC1 and FC2. If you can talk the DM around, it may be possible to look into opening up the Dungeon variants of the demon lords as you progress. Most of them are 30+ HD ones (I think Demogorgon is the highest at 37-38 HD or so).

Oh, and read Practical Demonkeeping, then Binding Elder Evils. They'll give you a good assessment of the various evil creatures available for binding.
    Last edited by Alleran; 2012-10-27 at 01:43 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slipperychicken View Post
    I guess this forum is some kind of mystical afterlife for dnd nerds who die during internet discussions? All the greatest internet heroes argue here every day about physics and dnd, rise again when slain, and enjoy a dining hall which serves them unlimited quantities of heavenly food like ramen, soda, alcohol, and birthday cake.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Tippy View Post
    Yes, the underwear of my epic wizards are more than capable of conquering your average world on their own.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by Endarire View Post
    Snuggle up with Treantmonk!

Also, seriously consider changing Wizard12 to Wizard5/Prc7. Incantatrix (Player's Guide to Faerun 63) is wonderful for this!
    Thanks for the link! that solved all my problems

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

So that later people aren't screwed over if they rely on something going away, here's the MinMaxBoards link.
    If you see me talking about Shaper Psions, assume that anything not poison immune within 100 feet will be dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by kardar233 View Post
    I was going to PM you about it because I wanted to know, but then you posted it later. Elegant solution. Watch out for Necropolitans.
    My Homebrew Signature such as it is.