New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Princly Cup

1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Default Re: The Princly Cup

The Court Mage flys up high annoucment ready in hand I have an announcment. The Hunt is over! I repeate the Hunt is over!. The winners of the contest are as such.

For Highest Weight. Sir Urza.

For Exotic Sir Jeryman

For Least Damage, We had a tie, as such The ladies recounted, Sir Carrik won this race.

One point to each of our winners. Congratulations. Our ladies wish to speak.

Lady Sha'Hilda stands and purses her lips How irritateing. I ask for real game you come back with a bunch of pigs, a cat, a swamp lizard and a bunny wabbit..I will be saving my favor for someone with more class..Stupid la de da knights... she rolls her eyes and sits down.

Lady Tialait stands No exessive hunting has happened. Over hunting of the boar has happened in this woods. As such any who declines bringing boar gets one favor. If Sir Carrik Releases his catch, he will loose a point of winning and gain two favor. As mercy is a knightly trait. She smiles and sits down.

Lady Magpie stands giggleing Sir Trove, you have treated my cravings. You have stood for knighthood well. Chiverly is not dead, it lives in you. I show much favor toward you....I grant you two favor! and with that she takes her seat.

The wizard speaks once again. Please present your catches to our chef to be cooked, after that you may mingle in the courtyard, for the rest of the eveing the Baazzar will be open and our ladies will be free for convorsations. And if Sir Carrik takes part of the Lady Tialait's offer, Good Sir Trove will win cleanest kill. In addion Sir Dehl gets one favor from each lady. As per his bringing a spectical of an unicorn to our supper.

Spoiler
    Show
    if anyone isn't done with their hunt please pm me...i'll edit this post.

Edit: I was half asleep...I wrote something I didn't mean..and didn't make sense...Trove didn't have a heavy kill..
    Last edited by Lady Tialait; 2008-02-10 at 11:42 AM.

"I laugh at life, it's antics make for me a giddy game. Where only foolish fellows take themselves with solemn aim.”

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Carrick

Bowing low, Carrick nods and gestures to the boar in its pen.

How could I think to refuse such a gallant request by a lady of your quality, Lady Tialait.

He turns to Sir Tristan.

Good knight, the point is yours. I shall be content to see my boar released, hopefully to sire a dozen more.

Spoiler
    Show
    In preparation for tomorrow's challenges, Carrick will sell his Elixir of Hiding and one of his scrolls of Fly (total 500) and spend his 200gp, and buy potions of Surefoot (50), Improvisation (at caster level 7 - 350), and Balancing Lorecall (300)
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2008-02-10 at 07:59 PM.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

3. - Top - End - #63
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Dehl

Dehl bows low to the ladies, "Ladies, I thank you for bestowing your favor upon me. I look forward to the days ahead, In hopes that I may further impress.

Turning to the other competitors he adresses them all with a smaller, yet still respectful bow. Gentlemen, It was an honor to see the skills presented here today. I bid thee ado, and wish you all luck in the coming days.

With that being said, He leads the unicorn out of the arena, releasing it into the wild from whence it came.

Spoiler
    Show

The following day, Dehl will ready: Sudden Leap, Stone Bones, Counter Charge and Burning Blade

Take the Hecatomb™ TCG What Is Your Doom? quiz.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

4. - Top - End - #64
    Bugbear in the Playground

Raleigh
    Again struggling to keep an impassive expression on his face in the wake of his failures, Raleigh bows respectfully to the ladies and turns to congratulate Carrick. Well done and something I'd never thought of, as I can't heal as you can. Good luck to you in the coming challenges. I fear I may embarrass myself in the test of knowledge, but look forward to the others. With that, he will walk away, thinking that at least the boar will be good eating tonight, even if it won him nothing, and that he would very much like to personally defeat Tristan in the coming duels.
    Homebrew
    Current Project (A sequel to Tome of Battle)
    Past Projects, some of which I may come back to
    Spoiler
    Show
    Baldric Sea Campaign Setting (work in progress)
    later version of the Sea Dog base class from it

5. - Top - End - #65
    Halfling in the Playground

Tristan

Quote Originally Posted by Carrick
    Bowing low, Carrick nods and gestures to the boar in its pen.
    How could I think to refuse such a gallant request by a lady of your quality, Lady Tialait.
    He turns to Sir Tristan.
    Good knight, the point is yours. I shall be content to see my boar released, hopefully to sire a dozen more.

To be frank with you sir, I'm not surprised one who's not a knight would weasel this hunt and win some points in a strange manner.
    But I have to admit that by favoring lady Tialait's request and losing so liberally your point, you showed here chivalrous virtue.

Tristan Salute Carrick and goes back to his quarters to dress properly for the evening supper and send his squire to a few errands.

Spoiler
    Show

Tristan send a squire to ask the cook if he needs some spices to improve the hare and pay for them if needed (gold left ~50gp).
    With 800gold he purchases the following potions: reduce person, reduce animal, Aid

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Spoiler
    Show
    I really don't have much to say, if you wish to converse with one of the ladys, I'll try to make it all happen in one post, they kinda...cling together in a group. Anyway, remeber anyone who got a boar during the hunt is awarded 50 gold from the king himself. This can be used however you wish. (only if you killed the sucker..ofcorse.)

"I laugh at life, it's antics make for me a giddy game. Where only foolish fellows take themselves with solemn aim.”

7. - Top - End - #67
    Barbarian in the Playground

Jermayn

Smiling at finally having gotten a point at all, he says to the others, "You may have beaten me so far, but this isn't over yet. I look forward to tomorrow, and hope that you can keep up"

Of course, most of you notice that he seems rather too nervous for that boast, and think that maybe he is trying to compensate for his rather obvious losses this day.

Quitting his competition, he sells a few of his potions and buys another Bears Endurance.
    My Homebrew

8. - Top - End - #68
    Dwarf in the Playground

Uraz approaches the ladies.

I ask all of you to give my rough behavior a chance. My people have been constantly oppressed based on our simple ways. We choose not to live in large citadels and believe in the survival of the strongest.

I ask you for your favors in hopes that one day my people will no longer be looked down upon because of our ways. And as one who is looked upon as a leader I hope to say our cultures will no longer be ones that clash.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Other avatars by Vael

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Carrick

Quote Originally Posted by slb View Post
    Tristan

To be frank with you sir, I'm not surprised one who's not a knight would weasel this hunt and win some points in a strange manner.
    But I have to admit that by favoring lady Tialait's request and losing so liberally your point, you showed here chivalrous virtue.
    Carrick returns Sir Tristan's salute with an insouciant smile and returned salute.

Thank you kindly, Sir Tristan, and of course I humbly beg your pardon if my use of my imagination offends your sensibilities. I'm sure that your more traditional education will serve you in excellent stead in tomorrow's challenges.

As Sir Tristan departs, Carrick goes to see to the stabling and care of his horse, then heads for the palace's kitchens. There, he will wash up, then ask how he can assist in the preparations for the upcoming meal.

I can chop, carry, clean up - whatever you need. I don't need much time to get ready for such things, and my mother was an excellent cook - made sure all of us learned a bit.

If he is accepted by the servants, he will chat congenially about his experiences on the hunt and in the jousting this afternoon, and ask lots of leading questions about the three ladies.

About half an hour before the feast is set to begin, he will excuse himself and return to his room to change for the celebration.

Spoiler
    Show
    Carrick isn't looking for state secrets on the ladies - just trivia like favourite foods, past experiences...small details. Diplomacy to be accepted by the staff: (1d20+9)[25].

Afterwards, he will return to his assigned room, change into his actor's finery (closest thing he has to a noble's outfit), clean himself off using Prestidigitation, and head down to Party!
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2008-02-13 at 08:29 PM.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

10. - Top - End - #70

Quote Originally Posted by Carrick
    Thank you kindly, Sir Tristan, and of course I humbly beg your pardon if my use of my imagination offends your sensibilities. I'm sure that your more traditional education will serve you in excellent stead in tomorrow's challenges.
    Tristan looks down upon Carrick and answers in an obviously less courteous tone:"I see that you're well versed in the secret training of the knights in this kingdom: my long perusing of dusty tomes and frequents runs on the capital's rooftops like a burglar will obviously allow me to prevail tomorow. But non obstante your underestimate of the noble deeds of chivalry I may surprise you tomorow and certainly not by changing myself into an ape in order to climb better."

Having said that Tristan seems to think about something else and salute Carrick while whispering to himself "... speaking of ape ...". He then spurs his palfrey in a gallop to reach Raleigh.

"Hey Raleigh, since we're the only two knights of the kingdom competing for the cup ... that's Duke Ferdinand's opinion in any case; I would like to challenge you tomorrow for the Gauntlet dressed like a knight and not a peasant. I mean full plate, of course it will be harder for us but what do we care if we're beaten by strangers or commoners ? I'm sure the Duke would like to know if you're better than me rather than one of those guys no ?
    Whatever your choice, I forewarn you that I will wear my fieldplate tomorow, so be sure to polish yours properly if you want to outshine me."

Spoiler
    Show
    Note to DM: I'm still unhappy with the use of potions and the state of mind of Tristan (today we would say it's doping, but in the princly cup context Tristan would think it's not 'chevaleresque'. So would you allow me to cancel my purchases ? I'm thinking of a better use for Tristan's remaining gold more in line with what a Baron would have used it for.
    If you don't allow this change, let say he had remorse and had it sold to the bazaar (that should net him around 400GP plus more or less 50 gold depending on the cook's requests for spices)

Once bathed and dressed for the evening (Noble Outfit with rose sewed on the heart), he asks the chamberlain's office who his the bard in charge of the supper's entertainment. Once found, he asks the bard to dedicate a song to Lady Magpie on his behalf and pays for it if necessary. He instructs the bard to do an allegory to Lady Magpie's beauty with nature's most beautifull flowers.

Knowing who to asks for at the court: [roll=Knowledge (Nobility)]d20+2[/roll]
    Having the bard accept request without too much to pay for: Diplomacy - (d20+4)[18]

* post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by slb; 2008-02-15 at 03:15 PM.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Bugbear in the Playground

Raleigh

My full plate remains clean, Sir Tristan, as I was untouched in the joust this morning. And it shall remain clean until needed, which, as I see it, is the duels tomorrow. There are no attacks that will be made against us during the gauntlet and so the full plate seems a bit excessive. If the gauntlet weren't meant to test our abilities to do such things in battle, I would, of course, dress to that occasion, but as it is not, I shall dress a I deem most likely to allow me to perform at my peak. I wish you luck in doing so in your armor, and a great feat if it will be if you should win while wearing it, but I will decline your challenge, for I believe cleverness to be a part of this competition and can see none in intentionally handicapping myself.
    Homebrew
    Current Project (A sequel to Tome of Battle)
    Past Projects, some of which I may come back to
    Spoiler
    Show
    Baldric Sea Campaign Setting (work in progress)
    later version of the Sea Dog base class from it

12. - Top - End - #72

Spoiler
    Show

Note to self: [roll ] tag does not allow parenthesis

So here we are
    Knowing who to asks for at the court Knowledge:Nobility - (d20+2)[16]

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Carrick

At the feast, Carrick will deferentially approach Dehl.

If I may join you for a time? I am still unaccustomed to all this finery.

I was most intrigued by your talent in staying on your horse this morning. I'm afraid that it's a skill I sorely lack. Did it take a great deal of training, or is this some magical knack you have?

14. - Top - End - #74
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Dehl

At the feast, when Carrick approaches, Dehl tips his hat in greeting. And motions to an open chair beside him.

Well sir, I know how you feel about the finery. I'm a simple country boy myself and my travels don't normally take me into such grandiose endeavors. As for my abilities, I've been on the road for a while, and I can assure you that the only magic I employ is known only as Blade Magic. Its a way to wield the blade which unlocks the energies which surround everything. I learned it on my travels from a man with far more skill than I'm currently capable of. Thats why I travel, looking to gain abilities to one day prove myself worthy of the knowledge I've been given.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Carrick

It's clear from Carrick's response that this is both new and fascinating for him.

Blade magic, you say? I've studied enough of the stories to have heard of such things - sometimes discussed in terms of holy inspiriation, sometimes as you say, talking about a energy that lives in all things.

I am a bit of a restless soul myself. Perhaps, at the conclusion of these three days, you would consent to a travelling companion for a time? I feel I might have much to learn from you.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Dehl

Dehl grins for a moment before taking a sip of his drink. "My friend. I will never turn down the company of another. You see, I too am also on the search for knowledge. Though I warn you I may not be much of a teacher. I've always spent my life as a pupil, absorbing whatever information and skill knowledge I can."

He smiled a bit. It was more genuine that most smiles he'd given that day. A smile with his eyes.

"But I suppose... that should you join me, and allow me to add your knowledge to my own... I can bestow the same favor."

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Carrick

Carrick gestures for more wine.

Well, I've never been much of a tutor, but I'll do my best. The spirit of the road moves us, and we move with it.

His goblet re-filled, he holds it up to toast with Dehl.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Spoiler
    Show
    I havn't got alot of time on my hands, sorry if i'm a bit slow for a the next week or so, family stuff. but I am not abandoning you guys or anything but got to do stuff, hope you don't mind.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Thats fine with me I haven't been around all week 'cuse of internet problems and I just lost my job.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Other avatars by Vael

20. - Top - End - #80

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry guys, I have been away the whole week with sparse Internet access. Glad I did not miss much.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry to hear that, EloquentRune! Our thoughts are with you.