New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 46 of 50 FirstFirst ... 21363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,380 of 1483
  1. - Top - End - #1351
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony XXXVIII: Nopony Expects Sponish Pinquisition!

Initial episode thoughts:
    Spoiler
    Show

Hello again Flutterb*tch! I'd missed you!

Although Discorded.Flutterbitch was funnier.

Iron Will carried the episode (like a boss!), but props go to Pinkie and Rarity, too. I'd wouldn't have thought they'd play that well of each other.

Overall, entertaining.

Now to read through the episode discussion...
    Truth resists simplicity.

2. - Top - End - #1352
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kyouhen View Post
    I absolutely love this guy's work. I really hope he decides to make some wallpapers for this, especially the frame with Pinkie bursting out of Sugarcube Corner in a burst of pink and happiness. Some of the details are great too, like the bite marks on Rainbow Dash's note. I can't wait to see what else this guy comes up with.
    Me too, I've loved the three he's done so far, just TS and AJ left to do (unless he decides to give Flutters her own one since she was kind of co-opted into Dashies)

Quote Originally Posted by Eakin View Post
    I this a pony reference in today's Darths & Droids or am I just over-sensitive to that sort of thing?
    I don't think so, at least not on the surface of it. I did, however, spot one or two pony references in this comic.

Quote Originally Posted by Weimann View Post
    S2E19
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hooookay. This episode? This episode.

That said, I don't like the episode. Why? A couple reasons.

Thirdly, and related, does it seem to anyone as if the Element of Kindness isn't given much credit here? Can we have some episode where the benefits of her kindness gets explored in a positive and useful light without trying to turn its personification into the Element of Confidence? Don't get me wrong, confidence and sticking to your guns are great lessons, but kindness can also be useful. Precisely because there's a perception that kind = timid and weak, such a lesson could actually be among the most useful ones the show could tell.

But all that was after-constructions, thoughts I formulated after watching the episode and when writing this post. There's a more immediate thing that set the tone for my perception of the episode right from the start. In fact, right from the pre-intro scene.

That ****ing rabbit.

Okay, we all know that Fluttershy's favourite pet is a right little git that can't find enough ways to exploit her affection for all animals. It's his character, and while I never liked it (indeed, it correlated strongly to point one made above), I get that it's supposed to be a joke.

But this isn't funny.

I don't know about you, but when I saw that, it just screamed "bitch, where's my dinner?" right out at me. I fail to see what that added to the episode, and make no mistake, kids will pick up on that. It's not a good example to set. This might be the first thing I'll call out as actively wrong with a FiM episode. It's the first strike. And seriously, would someone just KILL THAT DAMN RABBIT?!

Bleh. Sorry I got soap boxy there.
    On your third point (first point above after my editing), FutureEpRelated:

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm hoping there will be something like that in Hurricane Fluttershy. Don't know much besides the title though.

On your point regarding Angel. New-ep (possibly mature topic overanalysis?):

Spoiler
    Show
    It's not meant to be funny. At least that's what I'm starting to think after musing on that ep for a while. I mean are you aware the background of the slogan "No means No"? It's basically a catchcry for anti-violence/rape movements.

Stick that together with how Flutters is treated this whole episode, and it becomes more and more like a whole episode devoted to tackling the topic of domestic abuse or taking advantage of women and the consequences of that. (In this case, Flutters ended up thinking that abuse to be the norm and taking it to the outside world, in this case Pinkie and Rarity.)

Rarity and Pinkie try to blame Iron Will for it, but Flutters correctly identifies that it's not his fault, it's hers. (Not to say this is true in 100% of the above cases, of course, but I think it was in this one. IW is just a self-help seminar guy doing his job) Kudos to the writers for that.

In fact, the more I think on it, the more I can't help seeing this as a very difficult topic that the writers have decided to put into a kids show. And despite my issues with the pacing I cannot fault them for having the guts to do that and recognise the need for subtlety in that regard.

Quote Originally Posted by darthbobcat View Post
    Let's see... the trouble is that I watched the episodes I hated once, months ago, and tried to purge them from my memory. But really specific examples aren't coming to mind. Though I do know that I overstated it before; I did like the Sisterhooves Social. If Sweetie Belle had a speaking role this season, I liked that episode and if I didn't, she was the highlight (see: Lesson Zero).

I can think of a few specific moments.

1) The Halloween episode. I had no idea how this thing could exist in continuity. When Nightmare Moon showed up, it shouldn't have been "who are you," it should have been "OH NO THE LITERAL DEVIL HAS SHOWN UP!" Also, it was sort of a character assassination of a pony not featured: Celestia. Either she didn't care enough to tell Luna to tone it down, or Trollestia is real and she wanted to watch her go make a fool of herself.

2) Lesson Zero. Least favorite episode; while episode 19 ruined Fluttershy for me, Lesson Zero is the bottom of the barrel for me. I don't like Twilight Sparkle in that mode, where she doesn't understand the Celestia isn't Tyrantlestia. Specific moment that got me was Fluttershy breaking the bear's neck. They didn't have to make the fight that extreme to make Twilight Sparkle... think... I forget why that made her go away, rather than her discovering the problem of Fluttershy abusing her animal friends.

Those are the two low points that I can remember distinctly. Everything else was the oft mentioned pacing issues (the Discord thing needed another episode to tell the story they wanted to tell), obvious fan pandering or... just not very good writing.
    Weird. Mare Do Well was the only episode I found "bad" this entire season. Some I just found okay-ish, but a fair chunk of the rest have rated quite high in my book (incl Lesson Zero). Must be all the increased singing

And the BGM, I mean seriously, I listen to the Granny's Tale BGM and get shivers at the ending EVERY TIME!

3. - Top - End - #1353
    Titan in the Playground

1) The Halloween episode. I had no idea how this thing could exist in continuity. When Nightmare Moon showed up, it shouldn't have been "who are you," it should have been "OH NO THE LITERAL DEVIL HAS SHOWN UP!"
    That initially bothered me about that episode too, but honestly it's easily explainable by the ponies simply believing Nightmare Moon to be nothing but a myth. I doubt most people in the real world would be anything but confused to see something like, say, the Boogey Man literally appear in front of them. Besides, even if you don't handwave it away, it doesn't seem a big enough problem for me to seriously detract from an episode that fun and entertaining.

Also, it was sort of a character assassination of a pony not featured: Celestia. Either she didn't care enough to tell Luna to tone it down, or Trollestia is real and she wanted to watch her go make a fool of herself.
    Or she didn't know Luna would do that. Remember that Luna mentioned that the Royal Canterlot Voice was used for addressing her subjects - Celestia would not be one of her subjects, so she wouldn't use it around her. And if it really is the ancient relic that it seems to be, then Celestia most likely didn't even think of it.

2) Lesson Zero. Least favorite episode; while episode 19 ruined Fluttershy for me, Lesson Zero is the bottom of the barrel for me. I don't like Twilight Sparkle in that mode, where she doesn't understand the Celestia isn't Tyrantlestia.
    Hm, personal taste there, but I disagree. I like that Twilight is so irrational about Celestia - it makes sense. She has always been very oriented on her studies, and to her Celestia is and always will be her teacher. Her greatest desire is to impress her and win her approval, and the thought of doing anything that might disappoint her is going to be one of the worst things she can personally imagine. And personally, I thought Lesson Zero was on the whole just plain hilarious, and the humor is one of my favorite parts of the show by far.

I just thoroughly disagree with your assessment of season 2 in general. Personally, the first four episodes of it are perhaps the strongest consecutive set of episodes in the series in my opinion, and I think that plenty of the season's best sits right beside much of the best of season 1. Nothing in season 2 has dethroned Sonic Rainboom as my #1 yet, but on the flip side nothing has dethroned Show Stoppers as my least favorite yet either. It seems to be much the same mix of good and the occasional bad as the first season to me.

Zevox
    Last edited by Zevox; 2012-03-04 at 03:52 PM.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

4. - Top - End - #1354
    Troll in the Playground

And you're certainly welcome to disagree with me. I've just found the season, with a few noteworthy exceptions, to be a mix of really lackluster and outright bad. It's why I made sure to preface everything with "for me" and "in my opinion."
    Last edited by darthbobcat; 2012-03-04 at 04:03 PM.
    My anime review podcast is coming back after a one year hiatus! www.fivepointpodcast.com

5. - Top - End - #1355
    Troll in the Playground

you do know the bear was fine, right? one of those context gags.
    a tiny space dedicated to a beloved grandpa now passed. may every lunch be peanut butter-banana sandwiches.
    i has 2/4 an internets.
    old avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

gnome_4ever:

6. - Top - End - #1356
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thubby View Post
    you do know the bear was fine, right? one of those context gags.
    Yes, yes I do. I should have been more careful with my wording there. It just seemed like they went too extreme with it for it to be believable, and they went from "Fluttershy can stand up to a bear, so therefore she doesn't have shyness problems I can learn about this week" to "OH GOD STOP STOP HE'S ALREADY DEAD!"
    My anime review podcast is coming back after a one year hiatus! www.fivepointpodcast.com

7. - Top - End - #1357
    Firbolg in the Playground

And you're certainly welcome to disagree with me. I've just found the season, with a few noteworthy exceptions, to be a mix of really lackluster and outright bad. It's why I made sure to preface everything with "for me" and "in my opinion."
    I for one think this is the Pinkie-ist of blocks of shows. It just seems like she comes in and entertain with ANTICS, and I love it.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

8. - Top - End - #1358
    Titan in the Playground

Heh, same here - I was being very careful to insert those types of phrases into that last post so as not to come off as attacking you. We can of course politely disagree, no problems there.

Though one last thing I think I want to say: you mentioned in the post before the last one I responded to that Mare-do-Well was an episode where you didn't find yourself thinking that anyone was out-of-character, but personally that's one of the only two where I did feel that way (the other being this week's, obviously). Rainbow came off as downright Trixie-like to me, taking her ego far beyond what it has ever been before, which is a big part of what bothers me about that one. Other than that I probably have a higher opinion of that episode than most others here seem to, but that did give me mixed feelings on it from the get-go.

Zevox

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

9. - Top - End - #1359
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    I for one think this is the Pinkie-ist of blocks of shows. It just seems like she comes in and entertain with ANTICS, and I love it.
    She is usually entertaining. I mean, I didn't like 19, but I did like Pinkie's parts of it. Pinkie and Sweetie Belle have been my highlights for this season.

10. - Top - End - #1360
    Titan in the Playground

It's unfortunate that, what with there being quite a lot of stuff that you theorised having panned out in practise in season 2 (pony genetics being the most obvious one; you totally called that! And the Wonderbolts appearing to have military applications (i.e. in Secrets of my Excess.))

I'm not sure about season 2, whether it's better, worse or pretty much the same. There have been a lot of episodes I've really liked (personally, I found Lesson Zero hilarious), and a lot of things I really liked (Spike and Rarity HAH!, and ponies clearly having superpowers) But at the same time, as someone pointed out a while back, there's been a sort of mundanification. Technology has shown up more and more - which is a bit of a mixed thing - but there's been less focus on the more unusual bits of Equestria than previously, that made it unique. And, as someone said, some of these stories could just have easily been told with any set of characters, rather than something unique to MLP, which we had more of last season. (And some of 'em just haven't been great.)

And to boot, this season has been almost too slice-of-life; last season there were a lot of action sequences scattered around, but aside from Discord, there hasn't really been much in the way of more monsters and peril this season. (It may of course, pan out somewhat in the last few episodes of course.)

11. - Top - End - #1361
    Barbarian in the Playground

Though I do know that I overstated it before; I did like the Sisterhooves Social. If Sweetie Belle had a speaking role this season, I liked that episode and if I didn't, she was the highlight (see: Lesson Zero).
    Sweetie has been awesome this season. She's really moved up from where I thought of her as just the third CMC to now where she's like the best CMC. Sisterhooves was great and the best part of Hearts and Hooves Day was Sweetie Belle's stuff.
    The Dude pony avatar by http://supermatt314.deviantart.com/

12. - Top - End - #1362
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bayonet Priest View Post
    Sweetie has been awesome this season. She's really moved up from where I thought of her as just the third CMC to now where she's like the best CMC. Sisterhooves was great and the best part of Hearts and Hooves Day was Sweetie Belle's stuff.
    Frankly, I kinda wish they'd dropped the main cast and done schooltime adventures with the CMC and the rest of Ms. Cherilee's class. They haven't made a bad episode about them this season. I don't know if it's because the new crop of writers get the kids better, or if it's a matter of who gets assigned what script, but those have been my favorites.

Which I know is heresy for some people, but I calls 'em like I sees 'em. I'd rather rage at the writers for sidelining my beloved main 6 than rage at them for misusing them.
    Last edited by darthbobcat; 2012-03-04 at 04:40 PM.

13. - Top - End - #1363
    Troll in the Playground

Non-spoiler image dump:
    Spoiler
    Show

Used to be Diego Havoc
    Spoiler: About Me
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Diego Havoc, one of the hoopier froods I've met, up there with DeLancie.

14. - Top - End - #1364
    Titan in the Playground

I don't know if it's because the new crop of writers get the kids better,
    There's only been one new writer this season, and she hasn't done any Crusaders episodes (hers were Mare-do-Well, Hearth's Warming Eve, and Putting Your Hoof Down).

Zevox

15. - Top - End - #1365
    Titan in the Playground

SAD! (unrelated to new episode)
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by BlasTech View Post

Spoiler
    Show
    It's not meant to be funny. At least that's what I'm starting to think after musing on that ep for a while. I mean are you aware the background of the slogan "No means No"? It's basically a catchcry for anti-violence/rape movements.

Stick that together with how Flutters is treated this whole episode, and it becomes more and more like a whole episode devoted to tackling the topic of domestic abuse or taking advantage of women and the consequences of that. (In this case, Flutters ended up thinking that abuse to be the norm and taking it to the outside world, in this case Pinkie and Rarity.)

Rarity and Pinkie try to blame Iron Will for it, but Flutters correctly identifies that it's not his fault, it's hers. (Not to say this is true in 100% of the above cases, of course, but I think it was in this one. IW is just a self-help seminar guy doing his job) Kudos to the writers for that.

In fact, the more I think on it, the more I can't help seeing this as a very difficult topic that the writers have decided to put into a kids show. And despite my issues with the pacing I cannot fault them for having the guts to do that and recognise the need for subtlety in that regard.
    Spoiler
    Show
    That's... a really good point. I think that actually could redeem some of the episode for me. It still has problems, but whether or not this was intentional it's actually pretty cool. I've always thought it would be awesome to see the writers show some guts like that.

Me too... I didn't really think much of Sweetie Belle in the first season. She was there, little more than a background pony to be honest. She's really grown on me since.

16. - Top - End - #1366
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    And to boot, this season has been almost too slice-of-life; last season there were a lot of action sequences scattered around, but aside from Discord, there hasn't really been much in the way of more monsters and peril this season. (It may of course, pan out somewhat in the last few episodes of course.)
    What do you define as an action sequence?

Going by season 2 in order, I would say we have: Catching Rainbow Dash, defeating Discord, Twilight creating a town-wide panic halted by Celestia, Sisterhooves social race (borderline), Everything that happens in Mare-Do-Well, Spike rampaging as a giant dragon, Windigos on fire, Super powered baby rampage (borderline and also verging into horror), Stage coach chase, every scene that involves Daring Do, Ninja Rainbow Dash, and Big Mac as the Juggernaut.

Now, what I do think they've been poor at in season 2 is continuity. This may be intentional (if the show has no continuity you can start from any episode and don't have to keep track of consistent tech or specific character moments). But it is weird to have something like Scootaloo never flying juxtaposed with Pound cake zooming everywhere. More worrying are things like the premise for "The Last Roundup," wherein many of us found it difficult to believe that Applejack would act the way she did given her own previous actions and her title as the element of honesty.

That isn't to say that every pony needs to act perfectly in character all the time. Most of their actions, including the most recent episode, could be explained in one manner or another. However, the fact that some episodes are requiring the amount of rationalization that they require is indicative that the writers are having trouble staying true to the characters.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

17. - Top - End - #1367
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    There's only been one new writer this season, and she hasn't done any Crusaders episodes (hers were Mare-do-Well, Hearth's Warming Eve, and Putting Your Hoof Down).

Zevox
    Interesting. If I recall reactions correctly, two unpopulars and a neutral.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

18. - Top - End - #1368

Quote Originally Posted by Deadly View Post
    Me too... I didn't really think much of Sweetie Belle in the first season. She was there, little more than a background pony to be honest. She's really grown on me since.
    That's what I was thinking. I liked her Hush Now Quiet Now song but other than that she didn't stand out over Applebloom who was pretty much the CMC leader and Scootaloo who was the trio's Rainbow Dash and possibly the cutest thing since filly Twilight. Sisterhooves did a great deal to expand her character and make her more memorable herself and she pretty much took charge of the group in H&HD. Also, "Oh come on!" is one of my favorite lines from the show now.
    The Dude pony avatar by http://supermatt314.deviantart.com/

19. - Top - End - #1369
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, and this... (New Episode, linked cause animation)

Rainbow Dash likes dressing up, methinks. First Photo Finish, now this?

20. - Top - End - #1370
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    Pretty much, yep. Also includes both of the episodes where I personally felt that someone seemed out-of-character. Though Putting Your Hoof Down does also credit a slightly more regular writer, Charlotte Fullerton, for the story, so it's hard to say how much of that one was each individual writer.

Fullerton's record other than this week's is stronger but still mixed, including a couple of quite popular ones (May the Best Pet Win, Suited for Success) and a few less popular or mixed reaction ones (Look Before You Sleep, A Bird in the Hoof, Baby Cakes).

Zevox
    Last edited by Zevox; 2012-03-04 at 05:03 PM.

21. - Top - End - #1371
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BlasTech View Post

Spoiler
    Show

That is a really good point.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Seriously, if this episode was actually a subtle shot at tackling issues of domestic violence and abuse, that completely changes its tone. It still suffers from pacing problems, but I would be much more willing to forgive them if the editing of the episode was done in service to the more serious lesson.

Her track record isn't so hot with the brony community. She does like her classic cartoon references though, so if she ever gets the MLP universe vibe right, she could make some really hilarious episodes.

That's what I was thinking. I liked her Hush Now Quiet Now song but other than that she didn't stand out over Applebloom who was pretty much the CMC leader and Scootaloo who was the trio's Rainbow Dash and possibly the cutest thing since filly Twilight. Sisterhooves did a great deal to expand her character and make her more memorable herself and she pretty much took charge of the group in H&HD. Also, "Oh come on!" is one of my favorite lines from the show now.
    Sweetie Belle is best shipper.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”

22. - Top - End - #1372
    Troll in the Playground

And the Neutral one, they avoided the issue of OOCness because for most of the episode was about characters the main 6 were playing.

What? I liked Mare Do Well, but I know that nobody else in the known world did. CR on That Guy With The Glasses did a whole review talking about how much he didn't like that one episode.

Now, what I do think they've been poor at in season 2 is continuity. This may be intentional (if the show has no continuity you can start from any episode and don't have to keep track of consistent tech or specific character moments). But it is weird to have something like Scootaloo never flying juxtaposed with Pound cake zooming everywhere. More worrying are things like the premise for "The Last Roundup," wherein many of us found it difficult to believe that Applejack would act the way she did given her own previous actions and her title as the element of honesty.

That isn't to say that every pony needs to act perfectly in character all the time. Most of their actions, including the most recent episode, could be explained in one manner or another. However, the fact that some episodes are requiring the amount of rationalization that they require is indicative that the writers are having trouble staying true to the characters.
    Take my agreement! All of it!

There's good speculation/rationalization and there's bad speculation/rationalization.

Good speculation: Why does the train need ponies to pull it? That resulted in some fun theories and discussion. Little foundational thoughts about how the fantasy world works are fun and makes the show engaging.

Bad speculation: Why is Character X acting so wildly out of keeping with their past behavior? However that discussion goes, it's because someone messed up. Either the viewer didn't understand, or the writer didn't care.

23. - Top - End - #1373
    Titan in the Playground

What? I liked Mare Do Well, but I know that nobody else in the known world did. CR on That Guy With The Glasses did a whole review talking about how much he didn't like that one episode.
    I liked Mare Do Well. I can see some of the issues others had with it, and had a few of my own, but I still enjoyed it.

24. - Top - End - #1374
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deadly View Post
    I liked Mare Do Well. I can see some of the issues others had with it, and had a few of my own, but I still enjoyed it.
    ...this. I complained about the episode as I watched it, while problems normally occur after, but I still enjoyed it.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

25. - Top - End - #1375
    Troll in the Playground

Since I've been awfully negative today, I'll talk about what, to me, has worked in Season 2. First, Sweetie Belle.

I can relate to her so well. Her relationship with Rarity, where Rarity never lets her do anything, but when she does, Sweetie's under so much pressure that she inevitably messes it up, is a lot like my relationship with my Dad. She went from bottom of the CMC pack to my favorite character of Season 2, Bar None.

Also, I did like Rarity's episodes this season. Rainbow Dash's... I had entirely subjective reasons for wanting the falcon to win that race. I felt like they foreshadowed the turtle too strongly, which for me was the kiss of death on it, and I didn't like the song, but I can't objectively say it was a bad episode. Reading Rainbow was alright too. Dash had some okay episodes this season, with the objectively strongest getting on my nerves for reasons that I am perfectly willing to admit are completely subjective.

I've also liked Applejack's episodes, for the most part; I just wish more of them were about her in the sense that Rarity's episodes are about Rarity or Episode 19 was about Fluttershy. By which I mean, it seems like every time AJ has an episode, she's sort of like Jaws or Freddy Kreuger. She drives the action, there wouldn't be an episode without her, and she gets a couple of good moments, but the episodes have been, for the most part, about how other ponies see her.

26. - Top - End - #1376
    Ettin in the Playground

*GAAAAAASSSSPPPP*

We disagree? Well, I don't know where you think you are mister, but this is ponythread, and there is only one possible course of action given these circumstances ...

Spoiler
    Show

Hugs at 30 paces, pick your weapon ... I mean your pony!

27. - Top - End - #1377

I thought Applejack was tremendously in character for the Last Roundup. Sjhe fears failing in her duties and wuill do anything to avoid having to disappoint either herself or those around her. I personally liked that episode because the same kind thing that sent Applejack running once caused me a near mental breakdown, so I can understand the extreme lengths AJ goes through to avoid the inevitable failure, and the lesson really hit home for me.
    This Minase Iori avatar is a masterwork by Qwernt

DS Friend Code for Pokemon Trades and such. 1549 7971 5718

28. - Top - End - #1378
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Selpharia View Post
    I thought Applejack was tremendously in character for the Last Roundup. Sjhe fears failing in her duties and wuill do anything to avoid having to disappoint either herself or those around her. I personally liked that episode because the same kind thing that sent Applejack running once caused me a near mental breakdown, so I can understand the extreme lengths AJ goes through to avoid the inevitable failure, and the lesson really hit home for me.
    I'll agree to that. Applejack, like all of the characters in this series, exemplifies the sin of pride. I just think it would have been a stronger episode... without everyone else there. Let US see her failure. Let HER realize, through some object lesson after she went to the cherry orchard, that she's being stupid and her family will love her either way. Let Applejack be Applejack, is what I'm getting at.

29. - Top - End - #1379
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    Between this and the Flim-Flam brothers episode, I'm beginning to suspect that the writers don't care about economics...
    I really really didn't want to believe it but... I think you just may be right.

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I think a large portion of the market is haggle-friendly anyway. One of the things I like about open-air markets.
    S02E19
    Spoiler
    Show

This is basically the way I saw it. Personally, I think haggling is half the fun of a market.

Quote Originally Posted by OracleofWuffing View Post
    Also, another separate last thought on the new episode...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Anyone else find it strange that Rarity is spending so much time with Pinkie Pie after the cherry chimichonga incident? Perhaps she got so adapted to the noise that she no longer can tolerate silence.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I was surprised to see the two together, but they played off each other quite well, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Subtext to that, intentional or not;
    I got the impression that, basically, everyone pays up because his Seminar doesn't actually work. So when the super confident minotaur turns up and aggressively demands his cash, regardless of how well they've been following his basically flawed techniques, they suddenly are all smiles and nods and pay up.
    Him being a tiny bit dim, takes this as genuine endorsement, hence him being so suprised when Fluttershy actually manages to assert that she wasn't satisfied. She had learned to be assertive, unlike all the others (just not because of his techniques).
    And he goes away a tiny, tiny bit wiser too.
    More spoilers:

Spoiler
    Show
    Up to the end I thought is was a brilliant pseudo-scam: If the pony hasn't learned assertiveness, they'd obviously pay up. And if they had learned assertiveness... they'd also pay. Then it turned out Iron Will was exactly as bright as he looked, and I was slightly sad.

Still think he's a really fun character.
    Truth resists simplicity.

30. - Top - End - #1380
    Titan in the Playground

I've also liked Applejack's episodes, for the most part; I just wish more of them were about her in the sense that Rarity's episodes are about Rarity or Episode 19 was about Fluttershy. By which I mean, it seems like every time AJ has an episode, she's sort of like Jaws or Freddy Kreuger. She drives the action, there wouldn't be an episode without her, and she gets a couple of good moments, but the episodes have been, for the most part, about how other ponies see her.
    Applejack is established, more or less self-confident, and likes to solve problems by herself. Her major negative seems to be that she's too stubborn and sometimes takes on too much work, but it's really hard to do more than one episode on those traits and they handled that way back with Applebuck Season. If I had to come up with an episode on AJ, I would suggest having her take up a new hobby and expanding her horizons a little bit beyond the farm. Like, having her fall in love with classical music or something.

I also like the idea of talking about what I've liked as well, to balance out the conversation. So, first, I think season 2 has done a great job with storytelling within episodes. The Discord 2-parter, "Read it and Weep," and especially "Sweet and Elite" have wonderful narratives and were a joy to watch. I've said this before, but I especially love "Sweet and Elite" because it totally subverted the usual storytelling for a "liar" type of character and thoughtfully explained the advantages of being popular while reminding people never to forget where they come from.

I also think they've done an excellent job with the animation and physical gags. Everything from Twilight teleporting into the beach ball, to the sudden shift to horror with Pinkie Pie, to the Darkwing Duck shoutout has been great. And if you ever wanted to teach someone to animate in Flash, this show is practically a clinic for how to make it look good.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes