New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Default Customer Service: Rants, Raves, Back Pats, and Appreciation

**Warning... this thread is probably going to be American centric, but worldview opinions and facts are welcome here.**

The service industry made up over 80% of the American labor industry in 2016, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics and remains the fastest growing industry in America currently.

That means, if you're American, you've probably had to say something like, "Hello, welcome to [name of business]! My name is [your name]! How are you today?" with a great big smile and an eager attitude, even if your life may be falling apart because you work unpredictable hours for unsustainable pay in a uniform you would never have selected unless someone were paying you to wear it or pointing a weapon at you.

I want you to know, I feel for you.

Spoiler: A little about me, if you wish to know.
    Show
    I was in the service industry for 20 years before finally bowing out. And honestly, I can't remember a time where I worked in the industry where I was actually happy. Of course, I'm an introvert with at least some level of social anxiety. Talking to people without the buffer of a text format (like the one on the Playground) causes my heart to race and my chest to tighten. Yet, due to a lack of options, I worked my way through it into management so that I could help others who were like me get through their lives in service with at least some dignity and quality of life. I fought the unpopular fight for decent wages and predictable schedules, relaxed uniform guidelines, and stricter behavioral expectation standards from our customers (I will reject service to any customer who dares to insult, belittle, denigrate, objectify, or harass my staff). I feel like the difference I made was so microcosmic, it might as well have been insignificant, but it was the only thing that gave my job meaning. Finally, seeing my abject misery at my life outside of the home, my wife gave me a break. We switched roles in the family, and I became a homemaker, and she went back to work. I used my connections to help her get a job as a manager, and between her own awesomeness, coupled with the advice of my experience, she's become a rising star in her industry and is now running the most successful store in her region, with the highest cleanliness and service rating in her region as well. I couldn't be more proud of her. She's my hero, and I do my best to be worthy of the gift she's given me every day.

Today, I was at a grocery store, and a tired looking cashier who had just gotten reamed over the prices of eggs from a previous customer gave me a dead-eyed look and a forced smile and said. "Hi! How are you today?" as cheerily as if he hadn't just been abused by someone literally 10 seconds ago. I knew what he was going through. I know what it's like to be a punching bag for every customer who's had a bad day and needs someone to take it out on. I know what it's like to be blamed for a corporate policy that doesn't make a lot of sense but I'm powerless to change it. And I know what it's like to be cursed at, belittled, insulted, and mocked because bad behavior is usually rewarded with comped goods or services. If I'd made it to the check out line sooner, I'd have stopped the bitter old antagonist and told her she didn't need to be so rude. I'm not afraid to do it, and I've done it many times before. I just didn't get to say anything before she shuffled off angrily, threatening to call corporate and sue the store.

This thread is for people like that cashier. People who try their best for not enough pay. People who put up with more abuse than an employee should have to. People who put their uniforms on every day they're scheduled and give it their best, because they have to; because that's how bills get paid. I want to here your success stories. The times you overcame adversity; the times you were recognized for being awesome; the times your boss had your back, or you were a boss and had an employee's back. And if you can't think of times like that, then I want to be here to have your back. Tell me your story and have a drink on me. You deserve it.

Spoiler: One Final Note
    Show
    And if you aren't in the service industry, and you see a server/representative getting abused, please remember to remind that rude customer that they are speaking to a person who should be treated like one.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    I am currently not a player in a game, and would be mostly interested in joining 5E games.
    My Campaigns:
    For the Republic of Ishtar! A 5E Campaign

My PbP color is dark red.
    My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

Jormengand's Advice on Character Development

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Customer Service: Rants, Raves, Back Pats, and Appreciation

As someone who has never had to edure any of that, all I can say is that I do feel sympathy for your (plural) woes and I do try to always treat the people I am dealing with as fellow humans.

And if you are the unhappy customer, some points to remember:
    1. The person you are dealing with is almost certainly completely unconnected to your original problem.
    2. Most of them cannot do very much about it either, except for passing your comments along.
    3. If they are able to help you, then they are far more likely to do so if you are polite and understanding with them.

Basically, treat the people you interact with with respect and cheer and they are far more likely to be what help they can.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

It's true. In all my years in service, I never saw an employee who just always wanted to work in service. It's not their dream job. For the most part the job is hard, demeaning, low paying, and thankless. Most employees just want to get through their shift without becoming the target of someone's wrath. And therefore, within the confines of policy, I've found that most employees will do what they can to serve a customer quickly and politely, if for no better reason than to avoid the inevitable melt down when something goes wrong.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    I am currently not a player in a game, and would be mostly interested in joining 5E games.
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by inexorabletruth View Post
    It's true. In all my years in service, I never saw an employee who just always wanted to work in service. It's not their dream job. For the most part the job is hard, demeaning, low paying, and thankless. Most employees just want to get through their shift without becoming the target of someone's wrath. And therefore, within the confines of policy, I've found that most employees will do what they can to serve a customer quickly and politely, if for no better reason than to avoid the inevitable melt down when something goes wrong.
    As someone currently in a service role, this is the thing that gets me. You're 100% right, every person you talk to wants to help you if for no other reason than to get you to move on so they can get on to the next person. Nobody in a role like this wants a fight.

Which is why it drives me batty every time someone doesn't like a policy, the go-to response is "Well you're just being lazy and don't want to help me. Cut the crap and do it already", as though if that were an option I would not have already done it. Sorry, my company may be amazingly flexible in a lot of ways, bending over backwards to keep customers happy, but there are some lines that we just can't cross and have to be firm on.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

I've never understood the attitude of being rude to the person behind the counter either. Anytime I have had something go wrong, I always make sure I'm sure super polite and re-assure them that I'm not blaming them at all, that I understand mistakes happen. Probably why I end up with free food fairly often when stuff does go wrong, like if I'm at a fast food joint they'll hand me back the food that was wrong and tell me to keep it on top of the corrected product, or if I'm at a restaurant they'll comp the meal, or give X amount off. Of course that's not why I do it, but it is a nice side effect of being a friendly/polite person.

It helps that my wife was a waitress for 7-8 years, so we both understand how hard the job can be and how unthankful most people are. Honestly, I think everyone should have to do a 1 year stint as a service worker of some sort, maybe a lot of the rudeness would go away when they understand what the other side has to deal with.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

I'm biting my tongue (thumbs?) to keep myself from an extended rant referencing the 1946 Oakland, California General Strike, and the year of College that my brother spent overseas in Amsterdam, and how angry and disgusted I am that so many Americans are desperate enough to sell their dignity and their smiles for a pittance, and that customers and especially employers need to be brought down a peg or two hundred!
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Yesterday I had to kick a woman who just had surgery for a brain tumor out of her test. I didn't want to but she'd gone over the allowed time on the test and as the newest employee I'm the lowest person on the totem pole. (I work for the testing center of my university.) It still haunts me.

I don't think I'm really a mean person but I feel awful for having to do that. And having to do so much else to students. The professors are in charge and I can't change the rules to help students even when I feel the rules are unfair and hurt students. I still get called on to be the person who enforces them through and I feel like students still blame me for them.

Other times the rules are the way they are because someone abused them at some point and now management isn't willing to make any accommodations no matter what the problem is. As such I'd like to point a big screw you to everyone who cheat on tests. You make the testing center worse for everyone else. You make me have to be paranoid and you make me have to tell people no on normally reasonable requests involving water bottles and mechanical pencils. I'd like to be helpful. I'd like for my students to excel. It's because of people cheating that I can't do that. Screw you cheaters.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

I have a few stories.

1. The woman who thought only she mattered.

I was bagging this woman's groceries and asked if she wanted her milk in a bag. This is a question I ask all customers buying milk, as some do and some do not. "Of course I do," she snaps. "Why would you even ask?" "Well, some people do and some don't," I say. "Well, who cares what other people want?" I wanted to say, "Me, because I have to serve them too, not just you." But of course I just silently smiled like a moron.

2. The woman who thought I should be psychic.

We sell soda. 2L bottles of brand name, 3L bottles of store brand. The default way to bag is one 3L bottle per bag, two 2L bottles per bag. This older woman has two 3L, two 2L, a bunch of cans, and other stuff. The 3L bottles come down first. One in a bag, bag in the cart. One in a bag, bag in the cart. Then the 2L bottles. One in a bag, second in a bag...

Woman leans across the counter. "One in a bag!" She snaps. "One in a bag!"
    Ooookay. Take one out, put bag in cart. Bag second bottle, bag in the cart. Then the cans come down.
    Well, I figure, if she freaked out like that about the bottles, I should ask how many cans she wants per bag, right?

"And how many of these would you like in a bag?" I ask politely, gesturing to the cans.
    "What?!"
    "And how many of these would you like in a bag?"
    Furiously - "Well I'll just do it myself!" She starts grabbing the cans and throwing them into the bag.
    Ooookay. I'll just bag the other stuff then.

Can't assume, can't ask. Must just read her mind, apparently.

3. The man who couldn't count to five and blamed me.

I also work fast food. This man orders to burgers, two small ham&cheeses, and one big ham&cheese for his family. The kitchen fixes them and gives them to me, the cashier. Two burgers in black boxes, two small sandwiches wrapped, one big sandwich in a yellow box, all marked. I put them in the bag and give them to the customer. Out he goes. A minute later, in he comes, pissed off.

"You didn't give me my big ham&cheese!"
    Uh, yes I did.
    "The big ham&cheese is the one in the yellow box."
    That was the wrong thing to say; now he's furious.
    "I've never had a place argue with me! It's not my fault you're too stupid to do your jobs properly!" To the outside: "Kids, bring back all the food!"
    Continues to complain bitterly and insult us while his family brings the food back. I pick up the box with the big ham&cheese.
    "This is the big ham&cheese," I say in a neutral tone.
    "Then where's my [burgers]?!"
    I point to the bottom of the bag, where the two black boxes sit underneath the two wrapped sandwiches. "On the bottom."
    Man shuts up and takes his food, leaving. No apology, of course.

4. Man doesn't know the difference between a road and a parking lot, other man stands up for me.

I'm walking to the shopping cart corral, wearing my vest that shows I'm collecting carts. Somebody comes up behind me and honks his horn. I reach the corral and move toward it. He pulls up beside me.

"Don't walk in the middle of the road!" he shouts angrily.
    "Don't be hateful!" shouts another man who is putting his groceries in his car.

I wanted to point out the difference between a road and a parking lot, which the first man apparently never learned, but a) he drove off and b) that would have gotten me in trouble. I thanked the second man for standing up for me.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Current job: the biggest one is people who somehow have the idea that I can teleport cars. Look, cars come from garages. We have garages in certain cities. There is only so quickly I can get a car from point A to point B.
    Hail to the Lord of Death and Destruction!
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! YARN FOR THE YARN THRONE! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

@Recherché
    Wow, that sounds like a tough job. I've had "bad cop" jobs before. They're soul draining and depressing. I used to drink myself to sleep every night when I did jobs like that. I hate making a living out of ruining lives, but to save the patient, you have to have someone willing to cut the cancer. Cheating on tests hurt those who worked hard to earn their opportunities. As if college wasn't hard enough, overcoming those who sidestep the policies just adds more to the pile of problems in the current education system. Have a drink on me, Recherché.
    *slides a frosty drink your way*

@Fiery Diamond
    It sounds like you face hoards of this every day. I feel for you. And on behalf of the customers that didn't at least apologize for their behavior, I'm sorry. Have a drink, and let's make it a double.
    *slides a particularly strong drink down the bar*

@WarKitty
    Funny how even though people in service are frequently condescended to like they are stupid are also expected to be clever enough to know how to warp time and space. Have a fizzy non-alcoholic drink on me... since you're driving.
    *slides a delicious and refreshing beverage your way*
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Being white in the South is apparently code for "I share your bigotry." I was able to shut it down once when i worked at the theater though. We'd get t-shirts for movies coming out soon sometimes, and could wear them in place of our uniforms, and we'd always wear them because they were more comfortable. Was helping out in concessions between starts (so not even directly dealing with customers, just running for those on the registers) when a woman came up between the lines, looked right at me wearing the Brokeback Mountain shirts we all had at the time, and said something along the lines of "it's terrible they make you wear those things, what does your father think about it?" To which I just replied, "my dad doesn't mind too much, but my boyfriend hates it." I virtually never got written up, so I could take the hit. Screw you, lady.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiery Diamond View Post
    1. The woman who thought only she mattered.

I was bagging this woman's groceries and asked if she wanted her milk in a bag. This is a question I ask all customers buying milk, as some do and some do not. "Of course I do," she snaps. "Why would you even ask?"
    People like this are why I have to freaking tell the cashiers to not bag up the fried chicken at Publix. I'm buying a single item and it already had a handle, stop trying to give me more trash!

ETA: I loved bad-copping. Either the person deserved it, so I had fun, or the person didn't deserve it, and I could try to soften the blow as best I could.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2018-03-24 at 04:18 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 1

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

Used to work as a cashier in a hardware store, and, well, like any retail job, we got our share of entitled, rude jerks. The one that most stands out for me is a mild one, but it was pretty much the point at which I realised I didn't want to work any job where I had to be spoken to this way-- I'd just rung up a customer and done the typical post-checkout routine: receipt, smile, 'have a nice day'. Halfway through 'have a nice day', the guy interjected with 'you don't thank your customers anymore?' I was kind of dumbfounded, so he repeated, this time yelling, 'You don't thank your customers anymore? It's just nice to make the customer feel appreciated. I hope the next guy doesn't have to remind you to do your job.' Naturally, he wouldn't either leave or stop yelling until I did say 'thank you', whereupon he growled 'you're welcome', took his stuff, and made tracks.

All I wanted was to say... really? Is this the hill you're going to die on? This is the thing that's pushed you over the edge? Boy, your life must be nice if the worst thing on your mind is the cashier who didn't thank you for shopping. But of course, you can't say that, and they know you can't say it, they know they're pretty much at liberty to treat you as poorly as they like because you risk getting fired for doing anything but smiling and apologising. Wasn't the first or the worst time some customer decided to act like I existed solely to serve them, but it was the point that I decided I'd take any job over the one that has me coming into work at 5:30AM so I can get yelled at for not thanking the guy I just helped.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    : THOG NOW SCHRÖDINGER's ORC!
    Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post
    If you ever see Hitler riding a T-Rex in your direction - you, my friend, are a very unlucky person.
    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    "Ooh. Did you bring a biology textbook with you? No? Sorry, nothing personal." And then I dissect them.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

I have spent years in various forms of customer service, mostly because I think that if you have to interface with a customer at any level, whether your an engineer, a CSR or a manager, that is part of your role.
    When I was in college I ran a local pizza place. I would get in trouble with two of the three owners on a regular basis because during coed baseball season we'd get these teams coming in every Tuesday to drink and have pizza. We'd close at 11 and I'd do last call at 10:30. Almost without fail we'd get people harrassing the bartender at 10:35 for one more round with the warning of 'I know the owner'. Well, I know the owners and even spent Christmas with them. I could give a rats rear. Our jobs were to make the best pizza and serve it to you, not to take your drunken abuse while you try to relive your glory days. In the 2-1/2 years I was there I almost got into a fight probably at least a dozen times.

I think that a lot of the problems stem from a sense of entitlement. I think the thought 'since I'm giving you money, I'm entitled to express my opinion and if I don't like your response, I'm entitled to berate you." Even though these people know that the person on the other side fo the counter has no control over policy, as has been stated before. I've stepped in plenty of times over the years as some customer service person is being abused, but the problem is these people will continue to do these things because they feeled they are owed something. Unfortunately, there are few businesses that are willing to step up and say "I don't want your business". I've been fortunate enough to work for a couple of people who held the same philosophy and when I co-owned a business my partner and I agreed on this, telling people 'here's your money back, leave and don't come back.' Until businesses are willing to step up and say we value our employees and will not tolerate this kind of behavior, it's not going to go away. Which is unfortunate because this just further feeds into the problem instead of taking a small step towards correcting it.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground

I feel like a lot of this is that so many businesses are structured in such a way that it's impossible to complain to someone with the power to actually change policy or who had any role in creating it.

One of our local bars (briefly) decided to no longer serve single shot mixed drinks in pint glasses, just in smaller ones or double shots in larger ones. I objected because what I like to do on really hot days is get a single shot of whiskey in a pint of carbonated water, and then order two or three of those over the course of the evening (this bar is within walking distance and serves a decent dinner) so that I make sure I'm getting enough liquid to not get dehydrated along with my booze. Because this was a local bar, I was able to actually talk to the decision-maker (owner) at a time he wasn't busy, and get him to change his mind (probably because he recognized me and my family as several-times-a-week regulars, and we apparently weren't causing whatever problem he was trying to solve with the policy - I suspect the issue was people ordering a single rum and coke and then getting free coke refills all night or something). At a chain place, my choices would have been complain to someone with no power to make decisions or leave (I generally choose that second one, sometimes with a side of also writing on a comment card explaining why I left). (I also would have been fine with him keeping the policy and me switching bars to one willing to accommodate my summer drinking patterns, but they make a good grilled cheese sandwich there and I wanted to give him a second chance rather than just disappear with no explanation once the weather got too warm for me to drink stout.)

That doesn't make it ok to complain at length to the service worker, and certainly doesn't make it ok to yell at or otherwise abuse them, but I think it's important to recognize that this is happening because the decision-makers have carefully constructed the system in such a way as to be shielded from dealing with the complaints resulting from their decisions.

(I work as a public school teacher, so it's similar to a customer service job in some ways but different in others, in that the students are legally required to be there and we're legally required to teach them, so neither side really has the luxury of not making this thing work out somehow and leaving/kicking someone out instead.)

15. - Top - End - #15
    Barbarian in the Playground

God, I'm really happy I can't remember ever witnessing something as disgusting as the arrogance, self-centeredness and plain denial of the customers you describe here. I've seen a few crappy things, of course, but this is on a whole other level. And of course I'm even happier I don't work in customer service.

Well, call center operators are the exception, sadly. I've seen (well, heard) them being abused a lot of times. I try convincing as many people as I can to stop doing it - my mantra is rage must only flow upwards, never downwards -, but it's really hard. It's incredible how many people don't realize you can be firm, you can even firmly refuse something, without being an abusive jerkass. It's like for a lot of people it's either doormat or schoolyard bully, no third option.

My best wishes to everyone on the receiving end of this crazyness.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

@Peelee
    I'm not entirely sure what you meant in your post, but it sounds like you had to deal with a bigot, and those are rough. Being caught between your values and the desperate need to maintain what little income you have is a tough choice, and I'm ashamed to admit I haven't always made the right ones in the past. I learned from those mistakes, and as a manager, I always taught my staff to never tolerate bigotry from a customer or other staff member. Their immediate response to any form of hate speech is, "Excuse me," and then come get me. I'll handle the ugly business of explaining to the customer that type of language is intolerable, and they can either correct their behavior, leave, or be escorted out by security.
    *slams a flaming shot down on the bar for your fiery spirit*

@Comrade
    Yeesh. Sounds like your customer was on some kind of mission. I used to get those kinds of customers all the time, and it seems there is no cure for them. It sounds like you handled yourself like a pro. I only wish the customer could've displayed half the patience you displayed.
    *pours a tall, smooth glass of aged cognac for your patience and elegance under fire*

@razorback
    Name droppers and power players. Yeesh. They're not the worst in customer service, but they're so darn plentiful, unyielding, and infinitely repetitive... like a zombie hoard. They can really wear you down over time and make you just want to run and hide. I'm sorry you had to deal with that, friend.
    *hands you an energy drink in a tall glass of ice, so you can keep up your stamina, and stay cool when the name droppers try to make steam come out of your ears*
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

@Peelee
    I'm not entirely sure what you meant in your post, but it sounds like you had to deal with a bigot, and those are rough.
    Customer sees me. They think, "ah, he will surely share my beliefs!" I do not share their beliefs.

You would be surprised at how many people are openly racist if they think they're around people who would agree.

I just realized I'd left out which movie shirt we were wearing at the time, which is kind of important to the story. I'm like that lame uncle who stops in the middle of a joke and says, "oh, wait, the cowboy rode in on a BLUE horse."
    Last edited by Peelee; 2018-03-24 at 04:17 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 1

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

@WarKitty
    Funny how even though people in service are frequently condescended to like they are stupid are also expected to be clever enough to know how to warp time and space. Have a fizzy non-alcoholic drink on me... since you're driving.
    *slides a delicious and refreshing beverage your way*
    Screw that, gimmie the alcohol. I just answer the phone.

My favorite is when people try to argue us out of higher charges for pickups far away from our garages. Someone complained she shouldn't be charged because "it's not her fault that we don't have a garage out there."

It's a business, not a charity. And I can assure you that none of our services are essential to anyone's life or health.

Name dropping is fun too. I actually handle a lot of big players fairly regularly - I'm in one of our specialty groups, which means they trust me to take care of pretty much anyone. We really do get some pretty major names, but my system will tell me how important the name is.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cozzer View Post
    God, I'm really happy I can't remember ever witnessing something as disgusting as the arrogance, self-centeredness and plain denial of the customers you describe here. I've seen a few crappy things, of course, but this is on a whole other level. And of course I'm even happier I don't work in customer service.

Well, call center operators are the exception, sadly. I've seen (well, heard) them being abused a lot of times. I try convincing as many people as I can to stop doing it - my mantra is rage must only flow upwards, never downwards -, but it's really hard. It's incredible how many people don't realize you can be firm, you can even firmly refuse something, without being an abusive jerkass. It's like for a lot of people it's either doormat or schoolyard bully, no third option.

My best wishes to everyone on the receiving end of this crazyness.
    This works both ways though when it comes to call center operators. Maybe not as much nowadays, what with the Do Not Call list(In the U.S.), but it does still happen once in a while. And by "It happens", I mean the call operators harassing the person they called. I've had several times where I've given a terse "not interested, don't call back" and hung up, and then would get multiple call-backs right in a row, and I will freely admit I've lost my temper during those times and let loose with a barrage of curse words and insults. So it seems pretty apparent that sometimes those people forget that the people they are calling are people as well.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by WarKitty View Post
    Screw that, gimmie the alcohol. I just answer the phone.
    *Slides a bottle of whiskey your way*
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by Starwulf View Post
    This works both ways though when it comes to call center operators. Maybe not as much nowadays, what with the Do Not Call list(In the U.S.), but it does still happen once in a while. And by "It happens", I mean the call operators harassing the person they called. I've had several times where I've given a terse "not interested, don't call back" and hung up, and then would get multiple call-backs right in a row, and I will freely admit I've lost my temper during those times and let loose with a barrage of curse words and insults. So it seems pretty apparent that sometimes those people forget that the people they are calling are people as well.
    Having worked in an outbound center before, typically it's on an auto dialer where there's no control over who gets called next. Especially when the person in question hangs up immediately before there's a chance to go through whatever the procedure is to remove the person called from the list (That said if it happens more than twice in a row the person in the call center is probably not doing something right, even if it's just not using ACW). Though I suspect this would vary a lot based on the company in question. Some outbound centers are little more than quasi-legal scams, while others are pretty strictly regulated.

I will admit to having fun with the scam ones. I won't shout at them or anything, but I've kept an alleged Microsoft Tech Support Agent on the line for a couple of hours playing the role of technical incompetent as he tried to walk me through how to download a load of spyware on my computer.

In either case, I am grateful to be in a role where I only answer phones 3 days a week now, and none of that is outbound. The worst role I had was tech support for AT&T, because people get very touchy when their phones don't work, and don't like it when you can't find a resolution in under 5 minutes. Or the most haunting calls were the ones coming in at 2am from worried parents wanting us to track their suicidal children's phones (for the record: If you are ever in this situation, do not call your phone company, call the police. The front line reps at the phone company can't track your phone for privacy and legal reasons. The police are able to put in requests through the correct channels when it is deemed necessary). Those sorts of experiences are why I never looked into working as a 911 operator.
    Last edited by Seerow; 2018-03-24 at 09:49 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Banned

**Warning... this thread is probably going to be American centric, but worldview opinions and facts are welcome here.**

The service industry made up over 80% of the American labor industry in 2016, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics and remains the fastest growing industry in America currently.

That means, if you're American, you've probably had to say something like, "Hello, welcome to [name of business]! My name is [your name]! How are you today?" with a great big smile and an eager attitude, even if your life may be falling apart because you work unpredictable hours for unsustainable pay in a uniform you would never have selected unless someone were paying you to wear it or pointing a weapon at you.
    Forgive the minor nitpick, since it doesn't change the rest of this interesting discussion at all, but if I'm reading your cited statistics right, your definition of "the service industry" doesn't match what the 81% represents. Even though it says "Services-providing excluding special industries," it also clearly delineates subcategories that include a lot of fields that don't strictly mean customer service. For example, 12% is listed under service sector, state and local government. I can't imagine this number being plausible unless it counts pretty much anyone working for the local government: police, teachers, firefighters, building inspectors, etc. It also includes "Information," "Financial Services," and "Professional and Business Services," which strongly implies to me that the 81% also includes people like an analyst at a hedge fund, an attorney, or a consultant for a company like McKinsey, all jobs that often aren't customer-facing at all. These are all strictly speaking service industries because they aren't associated with agriculture, extraction, or manufacturing, but generally only a fraction of employees are involved in finding and servicing customers.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Xyril View Post
    Forgive the minor nitpick, since it doesn't change the rest of this interesting discussion at all, but if I'm reading your cited statistics right, your definition of "the service industry" doesn't match what the 81% represents. Even though it says "Services-providing excluding special industries," it also clearly delineates subcategories that include a lot of fields that don't strictly mean customer service. For example, 12% is listed under service sector, state and local government. I can't imagine this number being plausible unless it counts pretty much anyone working for the local government: police, teachers, firefighters, building inspectors, etc. It also includes "Information," "Financial Services," and "Professional and Business Services," which strongly implies to me that the 81% also includes people like an analyst at a hedge fund, an attorney, or a consultant for a company like McKinsey, all jobs that often aren't customer-facing at all. These are all strictly speaking service industries because they aren't associated with agriculture, extraction, or manufacturing, but generally only a fraction of employees are involved in finding and servicing customers.
    Well, my post didn't specifically cover a definition of service industry. There are all kinds of jobs in sales and service, as you mentioned, at all different tiers, and I never attempted to contest that. I stated that fact to point out just how many of Americans are currently in service jobs. It helps insinuate a point that we are mostly in the same boat, and the divide between server and customer (in whatever capacity that may be defined) doesn't entitle the purchaser of service to disrespect or abuse the one providing the service.

Of course, this thread is mostly for the underpaid-and-overworked section of service, which still covers a large percent of the service and sales workforce, and therefore that is what is being emphasized. It's an attempt to show my appreciation for those in the service industry who don't get the pay they deserve, the dignity they deserve, or the thanks they deserve (or any combination/all of the above).

And lastly, and don't take this harshly, because I'm asking nicely. Please don't make me "legalese" an appreciation thread. I'm here to offer thanks and internet drinks, because I know there are people out there who need it, and deserve it. and it's basically the best I can do right now.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

I work in a charity shop and so have been pretty lucky with customers being rude. The one real exception being the guy who accused me of following him around the shop 'cause I thought he was a shoplifter. I hadn't been but you can be sure I get a very careful eye on him from then on
    However my pet peeve is the people who walk into the shop seconds before it shuts, walk around the shop for 15 minutes, touch everything in the shop and then leave without buying anything !
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

25. - Top - End - #25

Problem is, there's an extremely high chance the person who's calling has zero control over that issue. Even if the calls aren't automatic, it's likely that the repeated calls are part of a procedure they can't not follow to the letter. It is extremely annoying, sure, but it's a system devised by the higher ups to reach peak annoyingness while leaving you an easy punching bag in the form of a desperate, underpaid employee. It's really screwed up.

I would advise blocking the number after any unwanted call, it should prevent at least part of the issue.
    Last edited by Cozzer; 2018-03-26 at 04:17 AM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Problem is, there's an extremely high chance the person who's calling has zero control over that issue. Even if the calls aren't automatic, it's likely that the repeated calls are part of a procedure they can't not follow to the letter. It is extremely annoying, sure, but it's a system devised by the higher ups to reach peak annoyingness while leaving you an easy punching bag in the form of a desperate, underpaid employee. It's really screwed up.

I would advise blocking the number after any unwanted call, it should prevent at least part of the issue.
    Yeah that's one thing with most call centers. You follow the rules or get fired. A lot of times the rules include things that annoy the customers.

It's not that bad where I work. I have to do a very small amount of upselling, but most of the "annoying" rules are just to make sure the customer can't come back and complain that they were never told of the thing they didn't want to hear. (Think "well, no one told me the cancellation policy was 12h, so I shouldn't have to pay!")

27. - Top - End - #27

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Seerow View Post
    Having worked in an outbound center before, typically it's on an auto dialer where there's no control over who gets called next. Especially when the person in question hangs up immediately before there's a chance to go through whatever the procedure is to remove the person called from the list (That said if it happens more than twice in a row the person in the call center is probably not doing something right, even if it's just not using ACW).
    Yeah, for a legit telemarketing call, if you say you aren't interested and want to be taken off the list, pause for a moment to let them acknowledge it before you hang up. If you don't, they won't have time to hit the "pause after this call" button so they can remove you, and the phone will likely go right into the next call. They may try again to convince you to hear them out, just say "no thanks" and then you can hang up (as they've likely already hit the pause button the first time you said it, they just have to ask). It will always work out better if you spend the 5 seconds.

Though I suspect this would vary a lot based on the company in question. Some outbound centers are little more than quasi-legal scams, while others are pretty strictly regulated.

I will admit to having fun with the scam ones. I won't shout at them or anything, but I've kept an alleged Microsoft Tech Support Agent on the line for a couple of hours playing the role of technical incompetent as he tried to walk me through how to download a load of spyware on my computer.
    I once got one of the Microsoft scam guys to curse me out multiple times before hanging up on me. To be fair, it might be because I damaged his eardrums...

I've been pretty lucky with customers during my time in the service industry. I'd like to think it's my charming personality, but it might have something to do with public rudeness being less acceptable in Canada. (Not to say we don't have these people, but it seems to be less than the states.)

I also at one point worked for FedEx american telephone customer service. While understandable, since you generally only call telephone CS lines when you're upset, I have never dealt with as much consistent abuse as in that job. I started just before Christmas, and the main FedEx processing center had a freak ice storm that (since it's in... Tennessee?) grounded everything for 2 days.

Jerk: "Are you going to tell my kids why there's no presents this Christmas?"
    Me, thinking: "Sure, I'd be happy to tell them their dad ordered their presents 2 days before Christmas, as he apparently forgot it was coming up."

We also were graded on call times. We had to keep our average call times under (I think) 2 minutes, or we risked our jobs. Do you know how hard it is to even diagnose what the problem is, let alone solve it, in 2 minutes? So when you're hemming and hawing about things while talking with these folks, just know that they are literally counting the seconds, afraid for their livelihood if too many of their calls take too long.

Those calls that get put through to us, and then immediately hang up? Because of the stupid call time requirements, they were our favourite calls.

At the end of training, we got put on the phones for a bit with a supervisor beside us to make sure we knew what we were doing before setting us loose. One guy in my class, in the hour he was on the phones that day, had one entire call. That lasted. The entire! Hour! Some lonely old lady in a hotel room, we're pretty sure she just wanted to talk with someone. She spent an entire hour getting quotes for different sizes of packages, from random locations to other random locations. I honestly felt sorry for her. But those people happen, and you might think they're a nice break from the anger. They aren't.

Personally I said f*** it to the call time thing, and just tried to help people properly. At one point, I spent about 90 minutes on a call with one guy. He was furious when he called in, basically wanted heads to roll. By the time I was done, he asked if there was a way to formally reward me for it. I forwarded him on to my supervisor, where he gave me a formal compliment!

(Note for all who want to reward the good people in phone service roles! Just as we all have a formal complaint system, we also generally are able to submit formal compliments! If someone goes above and beyond for you, please do so!)

Two days later, I quit.
    I had been there for only two weeks.
    Of my 15-20 person training class, I was the second-last one to quit. The remaining guy was gone before 2 months.
    Phone CS is hell.

These days, I've graduated university and become an engineer. I'm very glad to be out of the service industry, but I'll never forget the lessons learned there. It made me far better at dealing with aggressive contractors than I otherwise would be.

It doesn't take much to make a service industry person's day just a bit better. Politeness, a smile, trying to not waste time, being clean. And if they help you out more than they needed to? Speak to the manager and tell them that. If nothing else, that's how they get raises.

28. - Top - End - #28

We also were graded on call times. We had to keep our average call times under (I think) 2 minutes, or we risked our jobs. Do you know how hard it is to even diagnose what the problem is, let alone solve it, in 2 minutes? So when you're hemming and hawing about things while talking with these folks, just know that they are literally counting the seconds, afraid for their livelihood if too many of their calls take too long.
    Wow that is insane. I have never worked for a call center that had an AHT expectation of less than 600 seconds (10 minutes). [For context most of the work I have done in my adult life has been in one call center or another. I have been through 5 or 6 different call centers, 2 with outbound calls, 4 with inbound]. The last two centers I have worked at complain I don't spend enough time giving the customer personalized service because I am faster than their average (closer to 450 seconds average).

Two days later, I quit.
    I had been there for only two weeks.
    Of my 15-20 person training class, I was the second-last one to quit. The remaining guy was gone before 2 months.
    Phone CS is hell.
    So, phone CS as a general rule has a ridiculously high turnover rate. But that is, as with the AHT thing, a pretty extreme example. Clearly they have some management issues there. My experience is typically that level of turnover within 6-12 months, with the occasional person who will stick around forever (so you'll usually have a hard core of people who have been with the company for 10+ years forming about 30% of the crew, with the remaining work force rotating through constantly)

29. - Top - End - #29

DwarfFighterGuy

Wow that is insane. I have never worked for a call center that had an AHT expectation of less than 600 seconds (10 minutes). [For context most of the work I have done in my adult life has been in one call center or another. I have been through 5 or 6 different call centers, 2 with outbound calls, 4 with inbound]. The last two centers I have worked at complain I don't spend enough time giving the customer personalized service because I am faster than their average (closer to 450 seconds average).
    Depends on the place. If you're doing tech support, it's longer. And many of our calls were just people asking us to come pick stuff up, or get a shipping quote, which are really short. But yeah, it was bull.

It may have been 3 or 4 minutes and my brain is making it worse than it was? But I don't think it was over 3.

So, phone CS as a general rule has a ridiculously high turnover rate. But that is, as with the AHT thing, a pretty extreme example. Clearly they have some management issues there. My experience is typically that level of turnover within 6-12 months, with the occasional person who will stick around forever (so you'll usually have a hard core of people who have been with the company for 10+ years forming about 30% of the crew, with the remaining work force rotating through constantly)
    Yeah, it was kind of hilarious. This was a training class that was brought on a week before Christmas, the MOST stressful time of the year for a shipping company.

The company underwent a management change within a couple years. They ended up calling me (and probably a lot of other ex-employees) to try and figure out what went wrong with the old management, and maybe offer me a job back. I didn't even bother responding.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Hmm, I was not aware of that. I have to say I feel kinda bad now for the times I've gone off on people over the last few years. I always thought it was a deliberate thing, especially after I say "Not interested, don't call back". Why the hell would their employers make them keep calling people back like that? It's insanity. Even worse for the systems where it's totally automated, you would think the higher ups would see that that particular system doesn't work, it just gets their employees yelled at.