New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hangout Ideas

1. - Top - End - #31
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Hangout Ideas

Quote Originally Posted by warty goblin View Post
    Riiiight. This strikes me as the sort of stakes a person is unlikely to lay unless they're at least content with losing. Probably more than content.
    More... showing her confidence she's gonna win. She's not sure whether or not she wants to kiss me or not... Cause she sorta half likes me back... but doesn't...

Riiiight. Sorta things are the sorta things that can turn into a make-out sorta thing. Of course it also might not. As always, hope for the best, prepare for the worst.
    Maybe...

Riiiight. This does nothing to make me reassess my guess.
    She's like that with everyone though. She's just abit more open to teasing me about NSFW stuff, cause she knows I'll get embarrassed
    Spoiler: Old Avatar by Aruius
    Show
    http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q56/Zeritho/Koboldbard.png

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Milo v3 View Post
    More... showing her confidence she's gonna win. She's not sure whether or not she wants to kiss me or not... Cause she sorta half likes me back... but doesn't...
    What is the bet? Because as I said, I'd figure anybody setting physical intimacy of any sort as a stake has to be at least OK - and probably somewhere past that - with losing.

Which really means the question becomes winning, by hook or by crook.

Maybe...
    Ayup, life is full of 'em.

She's like that with everyone though. She's just abit more open to teasing me about NSFW stuff, cause she knows I'll get embarrassed
    So she bets a kiss with you, and teases you about sex? And 'sorta' likes you?

That sounds rather like 'likes you, wants you to take the initiative' to me. Or she just enjoys tormenting you. Which is fine, so long as you enjoy being tormented.

(And when it comes to getting teased about sex, my experience is to fight fire with fire. Reach deep into yourself and find that penis joke. It's not hard, you just have to firmly believe in your ability to compare things to genitalia. Then it goes from something you're embarrassed by, to a mutually enjoyable way to pass the time. )
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Bugbear in the Playground

Aww... being a teenager was SO MUCH FUN.

I think Milo knows exactly what he's writing about, and is writing it accurately. Neither he nor the girl are certain what they want to do. They're both just very curious about it, and open in the naive teenage way.

I would recommend a nature hike with a blanket and a picnic.

4. - Top - End - #34

What is the bet? Because as I said, I'd figure anybody setting physical intimacy of any sort as a stake has to be at least OK - and probably somewhere past that - with losing.

Which really means the question becomes winning, by hook or by crook.
    The bets about both of us saying that we are better at playing games then the other person. Eventually both of our boasting escalated until she she said:
    How bout this
    I'm soo confident about winning that, if you beat me:
    1 win, I'll put my legs over u, I'll lean on u or something
    2 wins, u get a hug
    3 wins, u get a kiss on the cheek
    4 wins, a proper kiss
    5 wins, u get to touch my boobs
    Though, I don't have anything to offer if she wins cause I don't have anything she wants.

So she bets a kiss with you, and teases you about sex? And 'sorta' likes you?

That sounds rather like 'likes you, wants you to take the initiative' to me. Or she just enjoys tormenting you. Which is fine, so long as you enjoy being tormented.
    She enjoys tormenting and teasing, I can't exactly take more initiative when I already tell her she's beautiful and amazing and artistic and funny and etc. so often. And told her that i love her... And talk to her every night till about 1:30am to 3:00am... And more stuff, but you get the picture.

(And when it comes to getting teased about sex, my experience is to fight fire with fire. Reach deep into yourself and find that penis joke. It's not hard, you just have to firmly believe in your ability to compare things to genitalia. Then it goes from something you're embarrassed by, to a mutually enjoyable way to pass the time. )
    Being embarrassed is a defensive thing for me, I try to make sure I'm innocent minded and stuff despite being a teen-aged male. If I don't go embarrassed I'll likely only think about NSFW stuff for hours.

Though there are times when I choose to not go embarrassed... that generally leads to sexting type stuff pretty quick...

Quote Originally Posted by axharr View Post
    Aww... being a teenager was SO MUCH FUN.

I think Milo knows exactly what he's writing about, and is writing it accurately. Neither he nor the girl are certain what they want to do. They're both just very curious about it, and open in the naive teenage way.

I would recommend a nature hike with a blanket and a picnic.
    I didn't really start acting like a teenager till I started being friends with her again start of this year... Which is bad since I'm 17, took abit long to actually start acting like a teen

And naive would be a very good description for our relationship... *Facepalm*
    Show

5. - Top - End - #35
    Pixie in the Playground

Bike around the neighborhood or park, go bowling if you're both into it, take her out to a picnic, take her to arcade and play games... there are so many places to hang out. It depends on what you two like to do and what interests you both.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

The bets about both of us saying that we are better at playing games then the other person. Eventually both of our boasting escalated until she she said:

Though, I don't have anything to offer if she wins cause I don't have anything she wants.
    I think my assessment stands. Certainly if somebody bet me second base, without some very odd background circumstances I'd figure that as a sign of some kind of romantic/sexual interest. I'd also try like hell to win, but I'm easy to motivate that way.

She enjoys tormenting and teasing, I can't exactly take more initiative when I already tell her she's beautiful and amazing and artistic and funny and etc. so often. And told her that i love her... And talk to her every night till about 1:30am to 3:00am... And more stuff, but you get the picture.
    1) Telling somebody in whom you have a romantic interest you love them early in a relationship (or indeed before there is a romantic relationship at all) is generally not considered best policy. It's way too much escalation, way too soon, which is just kinda offputting and intimidating. 'Like' is a good word here. 'Want to spend time with', 'want to get to know', 'want to go out with', all solid choices as well.

2) Complimenting somebody isn't taking the initiative, it's, well, complimenting somebody, albeit with intent. If you want a romantic relationship, a good way to go about it is asking if the other person wants one as well. Saying nice things about them is certainly good, but it's kinda tentative.

Being embarrassed is a defensive thing for me, I try to make sure I'm innocent minded and stuff despite being a teen-aged male. If I don't go embarrassed I'll likely only think about NSFW stuff for hours.
    There's nothing wrong with thinking about sex for hours. It's the only thing that makes it remotely possible to stay awake through seminars for starters. That and thoughts of delicious, delicious pizza. Served by naked people.

Though there are times when I choose to not go embarrassed... that generally leads to sexting type stuff pretty quick...
    With this same girl? Maybe teenage mores are very different than I imagine, but at least to my knowledge, generally conversations of a distinctly you/me sexual flavor (so, not just sex jokes or puns in the abstract) are generally a sign of some interest in something happening.

I didn't really start acting like a teenager till I started being friends with her again start of this year... Which is bad since I'm 17, took abit long to actually start acting like a teen
    Missing most of being a teenager is really mostly a good thing so far as I can tell. It's not a period of my life that I enjoyed all that much. Too many hormones, no place to put them, everything changing all the time and turning out to be so much harder than I had imagined. Urg, no.

And naive would be a very good description for our relationship... *Facepalm*
    Nothing wrong with naive either. Everybody starts out that way; it's far wiser and more honorable to admit a lack of knowledge than fake it in things like this.

7. - Top - End - #37

Quote Originally Posted by mowerplus View Post
    Bike around the neighborhood or park, go bowling if you're both into it, take her out to a picnic, take her to arcade and play games... there are so many places to hang out. It depends on what you two like to do and what interests you both.
    Those sound like decent ideas.

I think my assessment stands. Certainly if somebody bet me second base, without some very odd background circumstances I'd figure that as a sign of some kind of romantic/sexual interest. I'd also try like hell to win, but I'm easy to motivate that way.
    Very odd background circumstances. And yes, of course I'd try to win. I was being hyper competitive originally, that just made it worse.

1) Telling somebody in whom you have a romantic interest you love them early in a relationship (or indeed before there is a romantic relationship at all) is generally not considered best policy. It's way too much escalation, way too soon, which is just kinda offputting and intimidating. 'Like' is a good word here. 'Want to spend time with', 'want to get to know', 'want to go out with', all solid choices as well.
    Well obviously I didn't say that sorta stuff at the start. First time I used the word was several months after the weirdness of our relationship started.

2) Complimenting somebody isn't taking the initiative, it's, well, complimenting somebody, albeit with intent. If you want a romantic relationship, a good way to go about it is asking if the other person wants one as well. Saying nice things about them is certainly good, but it's kinda tentative.
    I was more using it as an example to show that she definitely knows that I like her.

There's nothing wrong with thinking about sex for hours. It's the only thing that makes it remotely possible to stay awake through seminars for starters. That and thoughts of delicious, delicious pizza. Served by naked people.
    I'd rather not think about sex for hours, especially while talking to the most attractive girl I've ever seen. My brain just knows that it's a recipe for disaster.

With this same girl? Maybe teenage mores are very different than I imagine, but at least to my knowledge, generally conversations of a distinctly you/me sexual flavor (so, not just sex jokes or puns in the abstract) are generally a sign of some interest in something happening.
    Yes it's the same girl, but... ugh... it's hard to explain.

Missing most of being a teenager is really mostly a good thing so far as I can tell. It's not a period of my life that I enjoyed all that much. Too many hormones, no place to put them, everything changing all the time and turning out to be so much harder than I had imagined. Urg, no.
    The whole lack of social skills was the major issue I had with not acting like a teenager. The things you mentioned I can live without.

Nothing wrong with naive either. Everybody starts out that way; it's far wiser and more honorable to admit a lack of knowledge than fake it in things like this.
    I guess...
    Show

8. - Top - End - #38
    Barbarian in the Playground

Nobody has social skills, everybody just fakes it - at least I do, and I am a pretty outgoing guy (i used to instruct groups of over 30 people at times, and given speeches to hundreds too). You just ignore that you don't think you know what you're doing, and do it anyway. I used to play act as someone I thought wouldn't bat an eyelid until I realised it was all in my head, but if it helps, pretense to be whoever you think is suave and smooth enough to handle it, roleplay the wheels off of her. Also, bets resulting in touchey-feely time... a likelihood of coffee-based shenanigans.... no real reason not to drink it.... I'm formulating something, wait for it - DRINK THE COFFEE, LOSE THE BET, WIN AT LIFE.

9. - Top - End - #39

Quote Originally Posted by JustSomeGuy View Post
    Nobody has social skills, everybody just fakes it - at least I do, and I am a pretty outgoing guy (i used to instruct groups of over 30 people at times, and given speeches to hundreds too). You just ignore that you don't think you know what you're doing, and do it anyway. I used to play act as someone I thought wouldn't bat an eyelid until I realised it was all in my head, but if it helps, pretense to be whoever you think is suave and smooth enough to handle it, roleplay the wheels off of her. Also, bets resulting in touchey-feely time... a likelihood of coffee-based shenanigans.... no real reason not to drink it.... I'm formulating something, wait for it - DRINK THE COFFEE, LOSE THE BET, WIN AT LIFE.
    I can do the whole acting cool, smooth, and charming thing, just not in person... This has had the weird result of her sorta liking me but only the Texting/Facebook Me rather than the quiet kid that barely says anything in person.

And why would I wanna lose the bet? I could get kissed or more from the girl of my dreams
    Though... I'm sitting on the fence about drinking the coffee, her plan for getting me to drink it was fiendish.
    Show

10. - Top - End - #40

Your mission, should you choose to accept it:

Pretend you are a phone, and she is also a phone; whenever she speaks, it is code representing a text. Text her back with your noise hole, set your phasers to charm.

Have you got a car?

11. - Top - End - #41

Your mission, should you choose to accept it:

Pretend you are a phone, and she is also a phone; whenever she speaks, it is code representing a text. Text her back with your noise hole, set your phasers to charm.

Have you got a car?
    That was hilarious.
    I'd give you an internet if I had one.

Sadly I do not have a car... Nor the ability to drive... Really should start to learn before it gets too late.
    Show

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

Well... she is extremely weird... But the reason she'd force me to drink it is because I have this childish thing were I haven't and never will ever drink tea or coffee, just so that I can say that I've never had tea or coffee.
    Yeah, that is kind of silly, and since you've made a big deal out of it it's only going to encourage people to get you to try it. People will see that as a challenge, because you've basically made it one. And as you say there's no reason not to try them - firstly, you might find you like it, and secondly, both tea and coffee are great social lubricants in the absence of alcohol.

When I was your age I too had all sorts of random nonsense that I'd decided I was "never going to do" or "only do under certain circumstances" for no particular reason and by the time I was 21 they had pretty much all gone out of the window, in favour of the "try everything once, except incest and morris dancing" philosophy. I think the only things remaining from that list that I haven't tried (and probably never will) are illegal drugs, and that's entirely for health reasons. In retrospect I wish I'd got all that silliness out of the way when I was younger and had more fun.

Also, seconded/thirded/n-d on the "I love you" thing. Don't say that. Since you've already said it, don't say it again.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

13. - Top - End - #43

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    Also, seconded/thirded/n-d on the "I love you" thing. Don't say that. Since you've already said it, don't say it again.
    Another option to handle to "I love you thing" (that really is a scary set of words ...) Have a conversation that starts something like this:

"I keep saying I love you but actually I'm not sure what that means to you. But I DEFINITELY WANT TO WIN OUR BET."

This could go very well or very poorly, you're on the ground and we're just a bunch of guys tossing you poorly-scrawled notes based on our completely different past experiences.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

Two words mate:
    Bowling. Alley.

It's a place where you can sit around, have some bevs, eat, and play a game for hours, and then leave with a wallet that's like 10$ lighter than before. Cheapest hangout spot I could find in the public eye.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks to Terry for my irate Nightmare Alchemist Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dust View Post
    Creed, you guys are awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Now for Creed to quote me and say something snarky. And the circle of life will be complete.

15. - Top - End - #45

Quote Originally Posted by Object of Milo v3's affections, from some other forum i guess
    I just don't know what i can do to spell it out for him; i already sent dirty text messages, and have clearly spelled out that he has boob-touching potential - why won't he make a move already? I get that he's an emo/hipster/whatever it was decided, but still i am too coy to outright say it... can he really not see my signals, or isn't he interested? I thought he was, but maybe he's just stringing me along. Also, i wish he would roleplay phones with me sometime. G'day mate, barbeques etc.
    Don't quote me on this though. Or her. Just whatever, don't go getting yourself in trouble!

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Creed View Post
    Two words mate:
    Bowling. Alley.

It's a place where you can sit around, have some bevs, eat, and play a game for hours, and then leave with a wallet that's like 10$ lighter than before. Cheapest hangout spot I could find in the public eye.
    And the best part is that nobody cares if you're complete rubbish at bowling.

Don't quote me on this though. Or her. Just whatever, don't go getting yourself in trouble!
    Thanks, this was hilarious, and also the read I was getting.

17. - Top - End - #47

Forum ate my post, remaking it is going to much shorter...

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    Yeah, that is kind of silly, and since you've made a big deal out of it it's only going to encourage people to get you to try it. People will see that as a challenge, because you've basically made it one. And as you say there's no reason not to try them - firstly, you might find you like it, and secondly, both tea and coffee are great social lubricants in the absence of alcohol.

When I was your age I too had all sorts of random nonsense that I'd decided I was "never going to do" or "only do under certain circumstances" for no particular reason and by the time I was 21 they had pretty much all gone out of the window, in favour of the "try everything once, except incest and morris dancing" philosophy. I think the only things remaining from that list that I haven't tried (and probably never will) are illegal drugs, and that's entirely for health reasons. In retrospect I wish I'd got all that silliness out of the way when I was younger and had more fun.
    I only really do the 'Never will do it" thing with Coffee, Tea, My Little Pony, and Twilight.

Quote Originally Posted by axharr View Post
    Another option to handle to "I love you thing" (that really is a scary set of words ...) Have a conversation that starts something like this:

"I keep saying I love you but actually I'm not sure what that means to you. But I DEFINITELY WANT TO WIN OUR BET."

This could go very well or very poorly, you're on the ground and we're just a bunch of guys tossing you poorly-scrawled notes based on our completely different past experiences.
    I'm 99% sure she knows that I want to win the bet.

Quote Originally Posted by Creed View Post
    Two words mate:
    Bowling. Alley.

There's also a comic/manga store next to the bowling alley we wanted to check out. So could go both in the same day.

And the best part is that nobody cares if you're complete rubbish at bowling.
    As hyper competitive stubborn teenagers, We Would Care

Thanks, this was hilarious, and also the read I was getting.
    Both of u... Really?

Fine, quick synoptic thingy:
    Spoiler
    Show
    We dated years ago, didn't work cause I wasn't really ready. Stopped being friends soon after that, not aggressively but just stopped. About march this year we started being friends again, and within about two weeks I asked her out. It was a no, and after a few weeks I decided that I couldn't keep being her friend if I still liked her cause it'd be weird. But then she convinced me to keep being her friend even if I did like her.

This resulted in a very... confusing experience where I'm allowed to like her, but have no idea what I'm allowed to say or do. So for months we talked like hell about everything till super late at night, and we have gotten close. But she doesn't like me, she tried to. Didn't work.

After months of talking and stuff; her two issues with me are that I'm not good looking, and that I don't act the same in person as I am texting. Though recent conversations are mainly about either teasing me, moving out together, and stuff.

Recently things have gotten abit more confusing then normal, about a month or two ago she realized that she started to feel like she needed me and then subsequently decided to cut me off as her friend to fix it. Those at the time she was saying about how she was pissed off at something completely unrelated, resulting in me thinking she hated me, when in actuality we were both getting amazingly lonely without texting each other.

So after two weeks of it she started talking to me again, and I found out about the whole "needing" thing abit later. This whole thing has left her really confused, because she doesn't know why she feels she'd need me if she doesn't like me.

And then, it got even more confusing because apparently during the past two weeks she "keeps randomly thinking about me, then hugging, then kissing." And she keeps subconsciously acting as if we were dating, and then getting annoyed and confused because she doesn't like me.

So, she doesn't like me. She just sorta half-likes me, but I'm still not dating material to her at all.
    Show

18. - Top - End - #48
    Dwarf in the Playground

I only really do the 'Never will do it" thing with Coffee, Tea, My Little Pony, and Twilight.
    Aside from the coffee and tea thing, I think that's commendable.

Fine, quick synoptic thingy:
    Oh, man. I have to offer some completely unsolicited advice that I know you're not going to take because I didn't take it when I was your age. Please don't waste your time with these silly will-they-or-won't-they games. For everyone's sake, but particularly yours, just be straight with her. Be her friend or be her boyfriend. If she can't decide, abort mission. It isn't worth your time to accommodate the wishy-washy undefined halfway point between just friends and dating.

That probably sounds a little cold. But she knows you like her. And if she was really your friend, she wouldn't turn your relationship into a game.

19. - Top - End - #49

Quote Originally Posted by Morgarion View Post
    Oh, man. I have to offer some completely unsolicited advice that I know you're not going to take because I didn't take it when I was your age. Please don't waste your time with these silly will-they-or-won't-they games. For everyone's sake, but particularly yours, just be straight with her. Be her friend or be her boyfriend. If she can't decide, abort mission. It isn't worth your time to accommodate the wishy-washy undefined halfway point between just friends and dating.

That probably sounds a little cold. But she knows you like her. And if she was really your friend, she wouldn't turn your relationship into a game.

Your probably in the range of 40th to 50th person who's said that sorta thing to me. And you say it kinder than most.
    Last edited by Milo v3; 2013-11-07 at 11:38 PM.
    Show

20. - Top - End - #50

Completely aside from romance/sex, do you like hanging out with her? It seems like you do, in which case i'd just have fun and treat her like any other mate, only this one sometimes likes to play 'doctors and nurses'. Don't get emotionally invested to her romantically, because it doesn't look like that is going to work (i'd say even if you do convince her, she seemed kind of flaky and all over the place, ie. Not ready). Just enjoy what you got going on I guess. Also, don't shut yourself off to other potential girlfriends, seeing as how she isn't in the category.

21. - Top - End - #51

Completely aside from romance/sex, do you like hanging out with her? It seems like you do, in which case i'd just have fun and treat her like any other mate, only this one sometimes likes to play 'doctors and nurses'. Don't get emotionally invested to her romantically, because it doesn't look like that is going to work (i'd say even if you do convince her, she seemed kind of flaky and all over the place, ie. Not ready). Just enjoy what you got going on I guess. Also, don't shut yourself off to other potential girlfriends, seeing as how she isn't in the category.
    Of course I like to hang out with her. Though it's likely abit late to not get invested...

I'm probably more likely to shut myself from potential girlfriends from "apparently" too high standards rather than her though...
    Show

22. - Top - End - #52

This. Couldn't improve on it.

23. - Top - End - #53

Sooo... Update? I feel emotionally invested now!

24. - Top - End - #54

We strangely ended up going to a local shopping centre mall typey place thingie, so that she could check the cost of a lip piercing, and so she could tell me what clothes I should actually buy because I have no idea. We walked around for hours, talked, drunk energy drinks, acted very silly in the toy sections.

...And ended up buying slime instead of clothes... I don't think I'm very good with priorities.
    Show