New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 46 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast

Thread: Strange Fortune

1. - Top - End - #331
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Strange Fortune

Spoiler
    Show
    Nic texted and said he means the non-frightened grimlock.

Jacinth also attacks the non-frightened grimlock (I'm guessing this is the one closest to her on the map).

Attack: (1d20)[13]
    Damage: (1d6)[4]

I had like nine tabs open to try and figure out if I can make a move action after a melee action and it looks like I can? I'm trying to get out of melee range for the non-frightened grimlock so going to y61 or y62, or if it's possible to get out of its smelling range I'll do that. Whatever action I can take to get there, let's do that. If not I'll just hang out where I am and cower.
    Last edited by Shakedown; 2012-06-22 at 12:21 PM.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Barbarian in the Playground

Whiskey fails to make a mark on his foe, while Aft inflicts further damage with his strong bite. Before the terrified grimlock has a chance to move, Sam finishes it off with a well-placed arrow.

Thårin swings his weapons at the last remaining grimlock, but as it blindly moves about it somehow manages to evade his blades.

Spoiler
    Show
    From the D20SRD: Generally speaking, ammunition that hits its target is destroyed or rendered useless, while normal ammunition that misses has a 50% chance of being destroyed or lost.

I assumed that's the one Nic was going for, it is the third one to show up (and also ended up being the only one alive by the time his turn come around). Also, I added a stats page to the map spreadsheet which could be useful, I think Nic saw that.

You technically can attack and then move, but moving out of a square threatened by the grimlock would provoke and attack of opportunity against you unless the movement was only a 5-foot step. Y61 and Y62 are both threatened by the remaining grimlock (it's at X62, you're at X61). I hope the map-zoom-displacing-images thing isn't being screwy again, I may have to reduce all your beautiful icons down to text symbols that will stay in the box where they're supposed to be.

So with that in mind, I'll let you re-evaluate your actions for this turn given the new info.

Sometimes in combat it might be best to wait for your slow DM to post result from previous turns before you play yours, because you never know how the situation might change before you character's action actually comes around in the order.

3. - Top - End - #333
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Hm. Well I'll just attack it and then take a 5 foot step east, i'll still be in its range if it decides to follow me but maybe it'll just be confused by my spell, run off the edge and save me some trouble!

(1d20)[7]
    (1d6)[5]

edit - Sigh I knew that would happen, shoulda stuck with my first set of rolls.
    Last edited by Shakedown; 2012-06-22 at 04:17 PM.

4. - Top - End - #334

Spoiler
    Show
    Ok, so fixing things now...

Everyone blinks, and it suddenly becomes apparent that Sam's arrow had in fact shot the third grimlock (amazing how confusing things can get in the heat of battle...). The frightened one had in fact fallen because Whiskey and Arf had finished it off as it tried to flee.

Jacinth attempts to stick the remaining grimlock with his shortspear, but the flailing cave beast manages to blindly parry the attack with his axe.

The grimlock then shifts 5 feet to his right, stepping over the bodies of his fallen comrades, and takes a swing at Whiskey.

Spoiler
    Show
    attack - (1d20+4)[14]
    damage - (1d8+3)[9]

Spoiler
    Show
    So, allowing a lot of corrections to the progression of last turn because this game is super-complicated and whatnot. Do not expect the retcon magic to last...

5. - Top - End - #335

Whiskey dodges the nasty stone blade.

6. - Top - End - #336
    Bugbear in the Playground

Valette grins. I love the fear in their eyes before they die! Figuring the rest of the group could handle one grimlock, she watches the battle.

7. - Top - End - #337
    Orc in the Playground

Whiskey, after carefully avoiding the Grimlock's flailing attack, snaps forward to attempt to return the favor with his little sharp teeth.

Spoiler
    Show

Attack - (1d20)[3]
    Bite Damage - (1d4-1)[1]

Arf snarls and lunges in attempt to chomp at the creature's ankle and pull its leg out from under it.

Spoiler
    Show

A riding dog that is "trained for war" can make a trip attack as Wolf.
    Attack - (1d20+3)[23]
    Bite Damage - (1d6+2)[7]
    Opposed Strength - (1d20+2)[5]

8. - Top - End - #338
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Rolling to confirm Arf's critical hit.
    (1d20+3)[22]

9. - Top - End - #339

Instead, Arf pulls the grimlock's leg right off and it dies.

10. - Top - End - #340
    Orc in the Playground

Thårin searches all the corpses and places everything he finds next to them.

He also drops his dagger and his sickle and takes the two battleaxes which are in the best shape.

11. - Top - End - #341

Thårin finds on the bodies a bag holding 62 silver pieces & 6 gold pieces, and another bag containing 88 copper pieces and 2 tiger eye turquoise gems.

"Hzeeeeee... we should goes before more nasty things come. We should go back to the gate and locks it safe behinds us." Lomgrick mutters from the corner as he watches Thårin count the treasure.

12. - Top - End - #342
    Orc in the Playground

"Well, let's divvy this up and get on our way."

13. - Top - End - #343

Picking up the gems, Valette eyes them appraisingly.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Appraise at +3

14. - Top - End - #344
    Orc in the Playground

Thårin grabs 21 silver pieces, 2 gold pieces, and the 30 copper pieces.

15. - Top - End - #345
    Orc in the Playground

Thårin turns to Whiskey and Arf and says "Don't worry boys, I'll make sure you get something nice from this coin."

16. - Top - End - #346
    Orc in the Playground

Whiskey looks to Thårin and wags his tail as he pads over to him, poking a cold wet nose against the nasty gash left by one of those stone axes, and a pleasant surge of positive energy rushes from him into it.

Spoiler
    Show

Healing Thårin for this much
    Cure Light Wounds - (1d8+1)[5]

Arf seems momentarily preoccupied with growling and swinging the disembodied leg to and fro in his mouth before he drops it just as he is approached by Whiskey, who administers a few short bursts of energy to his companion's wounds.

Spoiler
    Show

Cure Minor Wounds 3 times. There goes the rest of my spells. We should rest.

17. - Top - End - #347
    Orc in the Playground

Jacinth scratches Arf's head. "Who's a good boy? Who's a vicious killer? Who disembodies monsters with only his sharp little teeth? youuuuu!" Picking up and inspecting the disembodied leg, she turns to Valette. "Why didn't you help us at the end there? I thought we were a team! As in, Team We Didn't Leave You to Rot!" She smacks the leg on the ground for emphasis. "Ugh. Never mind. You were probably daydreaming about your Duke." She walks over to Tharin and the grimlock corpses, picks up the discarded sickle, and hangs it on her belt. "Did we find anything valuable? Or edible?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Jacinth takes the same amount of money that Tharin did. I assume Valette was out of spells or something? Jacinth is, so yeah, we should rest somewhere.

18. - Top - End - #348

Valette tosses her hair angrily and replies coldly. "You know nothing of The Art. It is not a hammer, for some thug to use, whacking every nail he sees. You may use some spells innately, but I studied at Tasperia! The use of The Art is about light pressure at the perfect moment, shifting the flow of events to come."

19. - Top - End - #349
    Orc in the Playground

Arf folds his ears back and wags his tail, pleased by the combination of attention and healing. He licks Jacinth's hand and smears dog slobber and Grimlock blood all over it, then proceeds to shake the length of his body, ridding himself of the dried flakes of caked on blood and sending them flying in all directions.

20. - Top - End - #350
    Orc in the Playground

Jacinth stares at Valette, seeming stunned, then grins. "All this talk of hammering, whacking, nailing? Pressure at the perfect moment? My my, you WERE daydreaming about the Duke, you saucy minx you!"

Spoiler
    Show

She jogs over to Lomgrik. "Are the grimlocks in the Seeker's employ, or do they just live here? And what's behind the gate, that you want to go there so bad?" Kneeling down, she whispers "Does he need a bard? Because I could do with a powerful benefactor and some monster bodyguards."

Spoiler
    Show
    Bluff (1d20+4)[7], although she's kind of asking for reals too
    Last edited by Shakedown; 2012-06-24 at 10:51 PM.

21. - Top - End - #351

Valette's mouth works soundlessly for a moment. "That is it! You will treat me with respect, or I'll kick your worthless ass across this entire dungeon!" Pointing her finger at Jacinth, Valette shrieks words of power.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ray of Enfeeblement Touch Attack (1d20+2)[12]
    Last edited by Aeti; 2012-06-24 at 11:03 PM.

22. - Top - End - #352
    Orc in the Playground

"What the **** are you doing?" She flails at Tharin. "Stop her! She's crazy! Save me Barry!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Least productive party ever.
    Last edited by Shakedown; 2012-06-25 at 01:10 AM.

23. - Top - End - #353

As the black ray touches her, Jacinth feels her strength greatly reduced.

With a reckless screech, Valette leaps on to Jacinth, trying to wrestle her to the floor.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Touch - (1d20-1)[10]
    Actual Grapple! - (1d20-1)[11]
    Nonlethal Damage during grapple - (1d4-1)[0]
    Last edited by Aeti; 2012-06-24 at 11:57 PM.

24. - Top - End - #354
    Orc in the Playground

"Augh, whoa! I'm not judging! I've got a fantasy where the captain of the city guard ties me up and feeds me grapes, and he kind of looks like a baby horse. We've all got our quirks, you know? Calm down!"

Spoiler
    Show
    diplomacyyyy (1d20+6)[23]

if the grapple check succeeded, escape artist (1d20+4)[7]

Now James, come sort us out?

25. - Top - End - #355

Spoiler
    Show
    Good roll! that lowers her from Hostile to Unfriendly. Also I decided to waive the whole "take -10 on a rushed diplomacy check" rule, because Jacinth probably wouldn't last ten rounds of grappling if she was only trying to escape and not hit back.

"I HATE HIM!" Valette screams at Jacinth. "He burned my father alive! He killed my brother! He has taken everything from me and if you don't show me some respect I'll rip out your bones and beat you to death with them!" Valette stops trying to attack the bard, and simply stands there, breathing heavily, with her fists clenched.
    Last edited by Aeti; 2012-06-28 at 09:46 PM.

26. - Top - End - #356
    Orc in the Playground

Arf appears to sense the bad energy and sits by Whiskey, looking sidelong at him for consideration. Whiskey is just sitting there, watching silently and a little worriedly, those little doggie brows of his furrowing slightly.

Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by DrunkyTheClown; 2012-06-25 at 01:07 AM.

27. - Top - End - #357
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGuy

Sam collects his share of the spoils, sits down near Tharin and mutters to the dwarf under his breath, "This is hot."

28. - Top - End - #358
    Orc in the Playground

Jacinth stares for a moment, then says "Huh." She laces her fingers behind her head, thinking aloud. "Do you want me to seed a rumor? You'd be surprised how fast these things travel. Not the sheep thing, nobody will believe that. But that he's distributing bad rye, or that he leaves his fiefs unguarded. That his heir is mad. You set things up right, you might not even have to do any work. Someone who thinks they can do better with all that power will do it for you." She raises an eyebrow. "I'm sorry for your loss. I can't imagine what I'd do in your place. But we're not your enemies. You can keep treating us like it, but it doesn't seem to be working out for you."

Spoiler
    Show

diplomacy check if needed (1d20+6)[20] (made a mistake last time, whoops)
    Cathartic character development! tentative bonds! oh my my. Jacinth might keel over from all the sincerity.

Sigh. I was enjoying all the duke jokes. Next up: beard jokes.

29. - Top - End - #359

"You're right. You are not my enemy." Valette takes a deep breath, letting it out slowly and raggedly. "And thank you for your offer. But I want to destroy him personally."

The necromancer considers Jacinth for a moment, then allows her spell to fade. A weight seems to lift from the bard as her strength returns.

"So." says Valette briskly. "I won't hex you, and you won't treat me like a petulant child. Deal?" She offers her hand.

Spoiler
    Show
    The effect would've vanished on its own in a few rounds anyway, but Valette isn't telling that!
    Last edited by Aeti; 2012-06-25 at 02:44 AM.

30. - Top - End - #360

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm back! Catch-up post! Sorry I've been pretty tied up, thanks for keeping things moving without me like champs. Such champs that I actually have no real clean-up to do.

Valette appraises the gems at 11gp each.

By "his share of the spoils", is that to mean that Sam takes the remaining 20sp, 2gp, and 30cp?

"Now that we is done fighting..." Lomgrick pipes up again from the corner, "The gimlocks live here. I doubt they works for The Seeker, but he hires whom he chooses." He squints at Jacinth, "If he wants you, you will know! As for the gate, it is the way out that you wants me to guide you to, and it is far safer than down here."

A mouse with a backpack comes down the stairs, sniffs around a bit, and goes running away again.

"Hzeeeeeeee... not safe down here at all."