New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Orc in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: OOTS #1121 - The Discussion Thread

Man, I have no idea where Rich is going with this - from a pure pacing point of view, this is an odd side trip. I mean, swords and chaos spells and staking and washing up for dinner!!!

2. - Top - End - #32
    Orc in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    Wait! I need closure on that anecdote!

Exact wording is "If you agree not to show me any more memories." I would think letter of the law means that this is whether or not they are requested. That said, I had previously thought memories were only shown when requested (I guess until #1089), so I'm not really sure how this will work.
    ^ This this this.
    That Durkon can throw up memories completely unbidden was not apparent to me either even with the previous refectory memory.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

I think the Giant has gone to some trouble here to rule out some of the theories already thrown up on the forum, like the "Show me a weakness of Roy that he has already overcome."

I don't think Durkon will be trying to trick or manipulate Durkon*. I don't think that's who Durkon is. Durkon will continue to try and convince Durkon* that there are better and more noble goals than the destruction of the world, because that's who Durkon is.

I don't think he'll be successful, of course. But it will continue to illustrate the character of Durkon. And Durkon*.
    Quote Originally Posted by i6uuaq View Post
    My bid to win an internet.

Spoiler
    Show

To those who say that the timing is wrong for familicide, besides the fact that dry air can mummify bodies effectively, and this has been observed in real life, I offer this second thought:

Do I win?

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

I don't know, I kind of agree with Greg that Durkon seems like he has some sort of trick up his sleeve.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Orc in the Playground

I think we might count it as a trick, but that probably isn't the phrase that Durkon would use. I think he's gonna try something more straightforward. It's clear that he's trying to leverage Greg's inability to see the connection between memories, but I have no idea how that's going to be relevant. So it'll be fun to see how this works out.

"True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost." -Arthur Ashe

Villainous Monsters, providing a list of worthy opponents for use in any OGL game: monsters with PC levels

6. - Top - End - #36
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by AutomatedTeller View Post
    Man, I have no idea where Rich is going with this - from a pure pacing point of view, this is an odd side trip. I mean, swords and chaos spells and staking and washing up for dinner!!!
    Normally internal conflict is externalized. Here both internal and external conflicts are explored, and juxtaposed.

But it's really the internal conflict that's important and determinative.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Barbarian in the Playground

Doing the dishes, no time skip

Doing the dishes, Greg will flip

Washing them dishes, what's your plot?

Washing them dishes, all you got?

8. - Top - End - #38

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Normally internal conflict is externalized. Here both internal and external conflicts are explored, and juxtaposed.

Yeah, pretty much. The Order chopping up vampires is fun and all, but this book has basically 100% been about Durkon's past and character. This feels climactic to me because we're about to go on a Durkon vision quest.
    Spoiler: Worst PC Concept Ever
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhaegar14 View Post
    I came up with a master ninja with a robotic arm that is simultaneously both a vampire and a werewolf. He is the first of his clan in a thousand years to master the Warp Blade technique, which allows him to bend space-time to his will. So in addition to being a cyborg werewolf vampire ninja, he's also a time traveler and functionally immortal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Milodiah View Post
    ...kinda sounds like Samuel Haight got sent to the world of Rifts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    And we have a new winner!

9. - Top - End - #39
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

This is the biggest cliffhanger I can remember since V and O-Chul fought Xykon and Redcloak. (Maybe that time phantasm Xykon walked through the door in the pyramid.)

Between this and his premature villain monologue, Durkula seems to have developed a Nale-esque habit of overconfidence in his own plans and abilities. I'm guessing he gets it from Hel.

In the flashback, "interestin'" seems to have a random extra apostrophe in the middle.
    Last edited by Toper; 2018-05-11 at 11:29 AM.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Toper View Post
    In the flashback, "interestin'" seems to have a random extra apostrophe in the middle.
    It's a hiccup. Happens to the best of us.

Or maybe a typo. But I like a hiccup better.

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

11. - Top - End - #41
    Halfling in the Playground

BardGuy

OK, here's my theories (for all they aren't worth):
    Back in 1112 Durkon was trying to show Greg his "workplace orientation seminar" from his first day. If Durkon has so many memories from that day, it must have been pretty significant. I make a point to not assume that anything the Giant bothers to tell us is inconsequential, so I note that the "Boxes of Freezing" are cleaned out on the first of the month. Also, in very classic "horror movie" fashion, "We don't want another infestation of celestial roaches like last year."
    I foresee a flood of celestial roaches about to enter the field somehow and, being celestial, do some significant damage to the vamps.

Alternate theory:
    Sigdi was the one who cleaned out the "Boxes of Freezing" for the temple, and today is the 1st of the month. She is about to enter the combat. Since Durkula is supposed to be Durkon on his worst day, personified, Durkula will be thrown by Sigdi showing up. Even on his worst day, Durkon could never hurt his mother. Maybe we'll see the line that Durkula can't cross because he's only evil, not EVIL.
    Either way, I'm pretty sure Sigdi is about to show up.

The celestial roaches were a joke. Though, after the Chaos Giraffes, it would make this fight even more epic.
    Last edited by Kashem; 2018-05-11 at 11:34 AM.

12. - Top - End - #42

Quote Originally Posted by Zyzzyva View Post
    Heh, "as smart as you are, plus two points".

Also, the controlled detonation line reminds me that Durkon has pulled this scam before...
    Best way to set up an ambush. Tell your opponent what it is, and let them stick their head in the noose anyway.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Best way to set up an ambush. Tell your opponent what it is, and let them stick their head in the noose anyway.
    Indeed, my immediate thought reading this was "It be tea time."
    Last edited by PontificatusRex; 2018-05-11 at 11:51 AM.
    Some people think that Chaotic Neutral is the alignment of the insane, but the enlightened know that Chaotic Neutral is the only alignment without illusions of sanity.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kashem View Post
    The celestial roaches were a joke.
    At the same time, being a joke didn't prevent one from appearing.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

15. - Top - End - #45
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kashem View Post
    OK, here's my theories (for all they aren't worth):
    Back in 1112 Durkon was trying to show Greg his "workplace orientation seminar" from his first day. If Durkon has so many memories from that day, it must have been pretty significant. I make a point to not assume that anything the Giant bothers to tell us is inconsequential, so I note that the "Boxes of Freezing" are cleaned out on the first of the month. Also, in very classic "horror movie" fashion, "We don't want another infestation of celestial roaches like last year."
    I foresee a flood of celestial roaches about to enter the field somehow and, being celestial, do some significant damage to the vamps.

Alternate theory:
    Sigdi was the one who cleaned out the "Boxes of Freezing" for the temple, and today is the 1st of the month. She is about to enter the combat. Since Durkula is supposed to be Durkon on his worst day, personified, Durkula will be thrown by Sigdi showing up. Even on his worst day, Durkon could never hurt his mother. Maybe we'll see the line that Durkula can't cross because he's only evil, not EVIL.
    Either way, I'm pretty sure Sigdi is about to show up.

The celestial roaches were a joke. Though, after the Chaos Giraffes, it would make this fight even more epic.
    As much as I like the idea of lowest-point Durkon having enough standards that there are boundaries even Greg wouldn't cross, I'm afraid the current situation points away from that interpretation... I don't think Durkon would hurt his infant son on his worst day, either. For that matter, the worst he would do on his worst day is... say mean stuff about the clergy of Thor. I think Greg's proven there's quite the substantial gap between the two of them.

That being said, I'm not sure that Greg is so static that Durkon would be unable to dissuade him from his plan somehow. I don't think this memory is just for stalling.
    Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? 'Course ya do!

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

*gushes unintelligibly over our cat, Sunshine*

[Nexus characters, grouped by setting:
    Ouroboros: here
    Maesda: here
    Others: here
    ]

16. - Top - End - #46
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post

Exact wording is "If you agree not to show me any more memories." I would think letter of the law means that this is whether or not they are requested. That said, I had previously thought memories were only shown when requested (I guess until #1089), so I'm not really sure how this will work.
    If Durkon could simply not show the vampire memories, then he wouldn't know Roy's name. It's a deal of agreement. Even if the vampire demands a memory and Durkon said, "aha! The deal is broken!".... Then Durkon is just saying "you can kill the baby now."
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 1

17. - Top - End - #47
    Orc in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post

Good point. I guess it just threw me a little, all the tactical stuff and now delving deep into Durkon's memories.

18. - Top - End - #48

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by DaOldeWolf View Post
    I wonder what is Durkon thinking? How is it supposed to help with this last memory if the vampire already knows of the possibility of him misleading with a memory?
    I think the analogy of "Tea Time" was spot on. I'm expecting something similar.

Back then, he tried to basically just stall until Malack showed up.

Now? Stalling isn't an option.

Here is my theory, we know that Durkon came up with something back in strip 963.

The issue then were 2 memories - one where he tried to help his mom despite her not needing him to and the other where he didn't help Roy when he should. He says they are connected - and Roy's line at the end fills that up for him - he wasn't used to be a team player.

Well... Is Greg a team player? He clealry isn't. He sacrifices his spawns left and right plus he a bit vicious with the whole "you don't have a name"

My guess? Durkon was "betrayed" or felt like that by another cleric on his first day. Or something that got him to resent one of the other clerics - and he wants that thought to sink in to Greg that maybe another vampire will usurp him in Hel's plan.

Like... The Exarch maybe? Getting him to be jealous or fearful might push him to rush to his side and make some mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by AutomatedTeller View Post
    True, but let's face it, we're here keep reading his work even after 1100 strips because he knows what he's doing.

And frankly, guessing Durkon's plan is more interesting to me than just seeing another magic missle flying about.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zyzzyva View Post
    Heh, "as smart as you are, plus two points".

Also, the controlled detonation line reminds me that Durkon has pulled this scam before...
    That didn't seem like a "plot", merely a realization that the situation isn't as bad as it appeared (he was certainly surprised by the ambush).

While I don't have any expectation that Durkon is any good at deception and running scams (he doesn't seem the type of LG cleric with a long history of deceiving by saying nothing but the truth), Greg certainly believes he is.

And those two points of intelligence simply try to overrule the high wisdom, which is what you should be using to see through a scam. Most con artists will prefer to trick a smart guy.

20. - Top - End - #50

Quote Originally Posted by wumpus View Post
    That didn't seem like a "plot", merely a realization that the situation isn't as bad as it appeared (he was certainly surprised by the ambush).

While I don't have any expectation that Durkon is any good at deception and running scams (he doesn't seem the type of LG cleric with a long history of deceiving by saying nothing but the truth), Greg certainly believes he is.

And those two points of intelligence simply try to overrule the high wisdom, which is what you should be using to see through a scam. Most con artists will prefer to trick a smart guy.
    First, Strip 264.

Second, a vampire also gets +2 WIS.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGirl

Clearly, the plate is still there because the crack is in the shape of a lightning bolt.

No good gods-fearing dwarf would throw out a lightning bolt symbol blessed plate until it was utterly beyond use.

That, or it's still functional, and there's no use in wasting a still functional plate.
    I'm not crazy. The voices told me I'm not.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Good grief, these are coming quickly nowadays.
    Quote Originally Posted by OrcusMcP View Post
    More quality harrumphing from Dragolord! 2 points! Arguments: 5 points. This has everything I would want in this kind of argument: clear and passionate demagoguery, with calls to glory and nascent nationalism, rejection of the old way and pressing forward into the new future! Love it!
    Player of this awesome game.

Dragolord out.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by wumpus View Post
    (he doesn't seem the type of LG cleric with a long history of deceiving by saying nothing but the truth)
    Doesn't he? "I count 'able to be picked by a rogue' as a pretty big defect" was his line, after all.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Pretty interesting to see the contrasts in Lawfullness between Durkon and the High Priest of Hel. I also have a feeling that the next couple of strips are going to be emotionally intense, even more so than this one already kind of was.

Peelee’s Lotsey

25. - Top - End - #55
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Technically Durkon spoke a non-truth (wont say he "lied" because I don't think there was intent to deceive.

He said the memory would not include Roy, Haley, or any member of the Order.

But there's Durkon, cleric for the Order of the Stick, smack dab in the middle of this memory.

;)

26. - Top - End - #56

Quote Originally Posted by JT View Post
    Technically Durkon spoke a non-truth (wont say he "lied" because I don't think there was intent to deceive.

He said the memory would not include Roy, Haley, or any member of the Order.

But there's Durkon, cleric for the Order of the Stick, smack dab in the middle of this memory.

;)
    They're Durkon's memories. They by necessity always include Durkon.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

But they still include a member of the Order...
    By necessity or by choice doesn't change that fact. (Like I said, I'm not claiming he lied. I'm also not going to claim that this will be at all significant. I'm confident that it's meaningless.)

28. - Top - End - #58
    Colossus in the Playground

He wasn't a member of the Order yet. He was barely even a cleric.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    He wasn't a member of the Order yet. He was barely even a cleric.
    Which raises the possibility, now closed, of a memory from his and Roy's time together before meeting the others.
    Quote Originally Posted by OrcusMcP View Post
    More quality harrumphing from Dragolord! 2 points! Arguments: 5 points. This has everything I would want in this kind of argument: clear and passionate demagoguery, with calls to glory and nascent nationalism, rejection of the old way and pressing forward into the new future! Love it!
    Player of this awesome game.

Dragolord out.

30. - Top - End - #60

Quote Originally Posted by JT View Post
    But they still include a member of the Order...
    By necessity or by choice doesn't change that fact. (Like I said, I'm not claiming he lied. I'm also not going to claim that this will be at all significant. I'm confident that it's meaningless.)
    Imean, if we ignore the incredibly semantic hair splitting, then IMO the best way to put it would be that he was simply wrong. I don't think there's any need, though, since it's incredibly semantic hair splitting.