New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Why do people think it's okay to keep trying to rob me?

next time you hear something, call the police straight away - and tell them there is an attempted break in IN PROGRESS - then when its done and dusted, get a police report. That way you can show in future (if needed) that all this has happened before, and is documented. It will help you defence if needed in court.

i don't know enough about TN law to say whether posting a sign like that would help or hinder

What i can say is letting them know you're armed can make you a target. People rob houses for guns, and also if they think you're that worried about being robbed, they will think you've got something worth taking and going to the effort of breaking in for

do you have a local neighbourhood watch at all?
    pancake-atar created by RTG0922

Quote Originally Posted by loopy View Post
    xPANCAKEx - He's a scumbag, but he's a wise scumbag.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

As above. If you go creeping towards them armed, or making them aware you are, they may also be, and the robbery could very well turn into a murder. Get all your security updated and try to make yourself less of a target, and in the meantime ensure the police know what is going on.

...more scared of the living...

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Is it possible that one or both incidents were drunk people "returning" to the wrong home? Happens a lot in one place I used to live.
    "'Intelligence' is really prolific in the world. So is stupidity. So often they occur in the same people." - Phaedra
    Pyrian's LiveJournal

4. - Top - End - #34
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by xPANCAKEx View Post
    do you have a local neighbourhood watch at all?
    Ha. I suspect it's people from my neighborhood.
    Attacking the darkness since 1998. PbP Games
    Aberrant Adept / Revised Hexblade

5. - Top - End - #35
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    Big sign is big

NO TRESPASSING
    Forget the damn dog
    Beware of owner
    If you are found here at night
    You WILL be found here in the morning

Tresspassers will be shot.
    Survivors will be shot, again.

Spoiler
    Show

All Avatars by Elder Tsofu!

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lvl 1 fighter View Post
    why do you come up my outside stairs at 2 in the morning and all you do is open and close the screendoor?
    The majority of thefts happen because the owner did not secure his belongings. Not that it is their fault for being robbed but people looking to break into some place will go for the easiest target that still looks promising. In this case it is the place that forgets to lock the door the night they check it. I had a camera stolen that way.

I've had the same late night door trying scenario happen to me but then they knocked shortly afterward. It turned out to be the police. A bunch of them. They searched the house (I let them come in as I had nothing to hide). I think they were after the previous occupant because they were looking for someone I had never heard of before. It was surprising but they didn't have guns out or anything. Still, a bit freaky at 3 a.m.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Your area badly needs a neighborhood watch...

And less stupid-overt criminals.

And worse comes to worst, now would be the time to be planning for moving out of a crap for crap hole.

What kind of area is this anyway?
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2009-08-09 at 02:14 PM.
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EleventhHour View Post
    Tresspassers will be shot.
    Survivors will be shot, again.
    Pssst. Check the spoiler in my edited post. Its there.

And to check the choke on your shotgun, either pull up the OM specs, call Browning, or simply take the gun apart. Guns should be taken apart semi-regularly anyway, ESPECIALLY older weapons. Thoroughly lubricate any metal parts with 3-in-one oil and put back together. Make sure you wash your hands thoroughly with soap before taking it apart though, since the oil from your hands can cause delicate parts to rust. After clearing the breach (ALWAYS CLEAR THE BREACH!!!!!!! WHEN IN DOUBT, CLEAR IT AGAIN!!!!!!), you can feel around the muzzle of the weapon. Usually you'll find some kind of ridge or lip around. If you only find smooth bore, you don't have a choke installed. If you feel something, look online for information on how to remove the choke. Don't just monkey with it with a pair of channel locks, you could damage the barrel.

Its pretty simple. Guns are actually really simple. They really only have 3ish moving parts. The trigger, the bolt/firingpin/chamber mechanism, and if a pump/semi, the cartridge ejection system. Everything else is solid metal and/or springs. Once you are done putting it back together, lubricate any metal parts with more 3-in-one oil and you may want to apply something like a furniture polish to any wood surfaces such as the stock.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

9. - Top - End - #39
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lvl 1 fighter View Post
    Faulty - I don't see the point in having a gun in the house for self-defense/protection if it's not already locked and loaded. Course, I live alone (no small children or otherwise) so I don't have to worry about someone playing with it.
    I'm just sayin'... I'd use it for intimidation to get the guy/girl to freeze. Just don't kill anyone.
    Wonder Woman (DC Girls in Sweaters Style) Avatar by Astrella.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

Faulty, now available in other flavours:
    last.fm
    Metal Archives

10. - Top - End - #40
    Orc in the Playground

Pssst. Check the spoiler in my edited post. Its there.

And to check the choke on your shotgun, either pull up the OM specs, call Browning, or simply take the gun apart. Guns should be taken apart semi-regularly anyway, ESPECIALLY older weapons. Thoroughly lubricate any metal parts with 3-in-one oil and put back together. Make sure you wash your hands thoroughly with soap before taking it apart though, since the oil from your hands can cause delicate parts to rust. After clearing the breach (ALWAYS CLEAR THE BREACH!!!!!!! WHEN IN DOUBT, CLEAR IT AGAIN!!!!!!), you can feel around the muzzle of the weapon. Usually you'll find some kind of ridge or lip around. If you only find smooth bore, you don't have a choke installed. If you feel something, look online for information on how to remove the choke. Don't just monkey with it with a pair of channel locks, you could damage the barrel.

Its pretty simple. Guns are actually really simple. They really only have 3ish moving parts. The trigger, the bolt/firingpin/chamber mechanism, and if a pump/semi, the cartridge ejection system. Everything else is solid metal and/or springs. Once you are done putting it back together, lubricate any metal parts with more 3-in-one oil and you may want to apply something like a furniture polish to any wood surfaces such as the stock.
    I know the basics of weapons maintenance. I was cross-trained as my companys armorer for a year. I never worked with shotguns though.

I can't afford to break my lease, but it's up in a few months and I am definitely moving. It's just a low-rent low-expectations neighboorhood. There are a few rows of government houses a couple streets down. ::shrugs::
    Attacking the darkness since 1998. PbP Games
    Aberrant Adept / Revised Hexblade

11. - Top - End - #41

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Faulty View Post
    I'm just sayin'... I'd use it for intimidation to get the guy/girl to freeze. Just don't kill anyone.
    Well, if they actually do freeze, that's well and good. But what if they don't freeze?

12. - Top - End - #42

Quote Originally Posted by THAC0 View Post
    Well, if they actually do freeze, that's well and good. But what if they don't freeze?
    Indeed. From the annals of stupid last words, "F*** you and your high powered rifle!"

13. - Top - End - #43
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by THAC0 View Post
    Unless they try to kill you (pull a gun, charge you, whatever), I'd still at the most shoot them in the legs.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

last.fm
    Metal Archives

14. - Top - End - #44

Yeah, a lot of people, my family included, have objections to killing in self defense. I don't personally understand it, but I'm not going to try to argue that you're wrong for doing so.

Edit: Just understand the potential ramifications for your safety. A shot to the leg will never be as easy or as effective as one to the center of mass, unless perhaps the assailant is wearing a ballistic vest.
    Last edited by RS14; 2009-08-09 at 03:03 PM.

15. - Top - End - #45

Unless they try to kill you (pull a gun, charge you, whatever), I'd still at the most shoot them in the legs.
    There are a few issues with that. The first one is that it's not nearly as easy to hit someone in the leg, especially if they're moving. I seem to remember that a government official somewhere in the US was going to try to get a bill passed that would require police officers to shoot for the extremities (arms, legs, etc.). There was an outcry from law enforcement everywhere, because it's often hard enough to hit someone centre-mass. Not taking the easier shot is unnecessarily endangering yourself.

Second of all, it might not be enough to disable them. If you manage to hit someone in the leg while they charge you, then they might fall over. However, if they're standing still and drawing a gun, I can't imagine that's enough to stop them from shooting you back.

So while it's reasonable enough to not want to kill anybody (even in self-defense), it's not always going to be practical. Guns are meant to kill people, injuring somebody with a gun will be more difficult and usually less effective.

16. - Top - End - #46

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Alteran View Post
    Toften hard enough to hit someone centre-mass. Not taking the easier shot is unnecessarily endangering yourself.
    And others. Cause if you miss, that bullet is not just going to stop and drop to the floor.

If you aren't comfortable with killing someone in self defense, don't carry a gun. Bottom line.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Troll in the Playground

I'm OK with killing in self-defense. I'm talking about if the guy runs.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

last.fm
    Metal Archives

18. - Top - End - #48

I don't know what situation you're in legally if the guy runs. If he's no longer in your house, then you probably don't have the right to follow and hurt him. Even if he's still inside, a jury probably won't look as favourably at you if you shoot someone in the back.

19. - Top - End - #49

If he runs and you shoot him, it is a crime.

20. - Top - End - #50

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by RS14 View Post
    If he runs and you shoot him, it is a crime.
    With the possible exception of Texas. ;)

21. - Top - End - #51

Only if he is running away with your property. And then probably still only in Texas.

Edit: Just do what @V says; even if it's legal to shoot somebody in the back in the above-mentioned case, you probably don't have any piece of movable property worth more than a serious murder trial will cost. Even if you win.
    Last edited by RS14; 2009-08-09 at 03:38 PM.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Firbolg in the Playground

See, I was about to take exception to the idea of not shooting if necessary, but then you posted this, so I'll take exception to your qualifier instead.

If the intruder attacks and you use a gun in self-defense, you'd best be willing to use the gun.

If the intruder, upon being presented with the muzzle of a gun, turns and runs, DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, SHOOT HIM OR AT HIM, IN THE LEG OR OTHERWISE. It stops being self-defense the very second you're no longer defending yourself against attack; if the guy is running away then he is obviously not attacking.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

23. - Top - End - #53

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by RS14 View Post
    Only if he is running away with your property. And then probably still only in Texas.
    Or your neighbor's property!

..aren't laws fun?

24. - Top - End - #54

It's hard to hit legs, inside a building, with a shotgun?

(If it is, I am terribly sorry, I have never seen or touched a real gun in my life.)

25. - Top - End - #55

Shot doesn't spread as much as you may have been lead to believe. This is particularly pronounced at short ranges, such as inside your home. The only advantages of shotguns for home defense are stopping power and a relatively low tendency to overpenetrate through exterior walls.

It's a common misconception; nothing to be sorry about.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Troll in the Playground

Oh, alright, thanks for the elucidation. I meant in a "still in your house" situation.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

last.fm
    Metal Archives

27. - Top - End - #57
    Halfling in the Playground

Let me give you some actual, usable advice.

First, get yourself a camera with a flash. Rig the camera with a remote, wait for the bad guys, whatever, but make sure you can pop a flash bulb in their face and that they can CLEARLY see that they have been photographed/filmed (even if you didn't get a photo, although you really should). If they are as dumb as they sound, they will want the evidence back, even though it is actually almost useless in court.

Once they decide they need those pictures at all costs, they will be more determined to get in. Once they get in, you meet them with your shotgun, featuring the shortest barrel legally allowed in your state, no choke whatsoever and an ample supply of rock salt rounds.

If you can get photos, post them all over your area with a note that clearly states their crime. If the whole neighborhood knows they are thieves, they will very likely ''get what they deserve'' in short order.

If you manage to shoot a few of them, point blank, with rock salt... Well, that is you doing your civic duty, not for yourself, but for those who are unable to defend themselves at all. How many people have these punks robbed, raped or possibly even murdered?

Long story short, it is not enough to feel ''safe.'' You need to end the little bastards, any way you can and rock salt won't kill them. Probably. And you will actually help others in the same situation. Win/win for everyone, even the punks who DON'T get killed.

FYI: The choke and the length of the barrel control the spread. The reason bad guys saw the barrel off is for a wider spread, so they can blow people to bits. The reason the good guys do it is so they don't miss with their rock salt :)

28. - Top - End - #58
    Firbolg in the Playground

Rock salt loads? Please.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

29. - Top - End - #59
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Those box of truth guys are not rigorous enough for my standards.

They didn't even test to see if the slug breaking was a fluke or not. Or even do multiple firings. I mean, what the hell?
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2009-08-09 at 04:48 PM.
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

30. - Top - End - #60
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DOOM2099 View Post
    Let me give you some actual, usable advice.

First, get yourself a camera with a flash. Rig the camera with a remote, wait for the bad guys, whatever, but make sure you can pop a flash bulb in their face and that they can CLEARLY see that they have been photographed/filmed (even if you didn't get a photo, although you really should). If they are as dumb as they sound, they will want the evidence back, even though it is actually almost useless in court.

Once they decide they need those pictures at all costs, they will be more determined to get in. Once they get in, you meet them with your shotgun, featuring the shortest barrel legally allowed in your state, no choke whatsoever and an ample supply of rock salt rounds.

If you can get photos, post them all over your area with a note that clearly states their crime. If the whole neighborhood knows they are thieves, they will very likely ''get what they deserve'' in short order.

If you manage to shoot a few of them, point blank, with rock salt... Well, that is you doing your civic duty, not for yourself, but for those who are unable to defend themselves at all. How many people have these punks robbed, raped or possibly even murdered?

Long story short, it is not enough to feel ''safe.'' You need to end the little bastards, any way you can and rock salt won't kill them. Probably. And you will actually help others in the same situation. Win/win for everyone, even the punks who DON'T get killed.

FYI: The choke and the length of the barrel control the spread. The reason bad guys saw the barrel off is for a wider spread, so they can blow people to bits. The reason the good guys do it is so they don't miss with their rock salt :)
    Just because they tried to break into a guys house doesn't immediately mean they're rapists or murderers or deserve to die. That's a tad extreme.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

last.fm
    Metal Archives