New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Default Are High Priests really high?

I have always thought that it is unlikely that Durkula's plan is to kill everyone, as the high priests would be overwhelmingly more powerful, especially with bodyguards; but are we sure that this is true?

We know that when Durkon was little only the HP of Odin could cast Regeneration, a lvl7 spell. Assuming a downward trend ("at least these days"), it wouldnt be improbable that only the HPoO and Veldrina would be higher than lvl13.

A possible plan would be Durkula eliminating the HPoO first, in private, under the pretence of ressurection; that would be a fight against the HPoO, his bodyguards and Roy plus Belkar. It also opens the possibility of vamping HPoO, assuming that there is a charge left in the staff.

Then, from the northen pantheon we have seen Freya, Thor, Loki, maybe Surtur, Skadi and Hoder; that's 6 HPs plus 12 bodyguards. It could be that in a case of fighting the evil HPs will remain neutral so it drops to 4 HPs and 8 bodyguards (although it could be that not everyone brought two). Not too shabby if we assume they are level 10 with level 8 bodyguards.

Now I recognise that this is pure speculation; after so many years perhaps the HPs leveled up (although we know that Thor's died so it could be that he is very low level); Im just trying to think if there is a plausible scenario were Durkula could have a chance, that doesnt scream Hel Ex Machina. Thoughts?
    Last edited by falsedot; 2015-07-17 at 07:31 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Are High Priest really high?

I guess it'd depend on what they're smoking.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I think incense is the traditional choice there...

Anyway back on topic. I think that Sigdi was only talking about the dwarven lands when she said that only the HPoO could cast Regeneration.
    Since we know that at least the High Priestess of Hodr is human and that Veldrina represents the Western Gods (not to mention an potential emissary from the south) we can conclude that not all High Priests will be from there. That means we can't make assumptions about their power-level based on her comment. It's entirely possible that the priests of other gods can match Durkula in power.

I too really doubt that the HPoHs plan involves violence at the Godsmoot. I don't see how that would help his mistress. In fact I'm pretty sure that a regularly occurring conclave between the servants of the various gods with their conflicting philosophies and alignments has rules in place to enforce a peaceful meeting. Otherwise good priest would gang up on evil ones or lawful priest on those that serve chaos. Or the other way around.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

LoL

After reading the title, I couldn't shove off the image of all the "high" priests in a disco party on the top of the mountain, Woodstock-style...

PS: Yeah, I know Woodstock and Disco are from different times. It's just how the "high high priests" images came...
    Last edited by D.One; 2015-07-17 at 01:27 PM.
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles don’t hit theheadlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, can’t be everywhere, and we, many
    So, when the world or universe needs saving, they come
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones to appear
    We're underdogs, but we rise up to the challenge to be heroes.
    (Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

"I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here"

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

You bring up a good point. It may be possible that at least some of the high priests are lower level. However, like Kantaki said, I think there must be some agreement in place to stop any big violence from breaking out. Otherwise, I don't think the HPoH would be so calm about going in. Lets face it, he is an evil vampire going into a convention center full of High Priests that could potentially dust him in a minute, especially if they gang up on him. And that doesn't even cover the up to two bodyguards for each of those priests. Unless his whole plan is to get killed there (which it might be, now that I think of it, since a rules violation here might put Hel in a very advantageous situation, even if she would lose her one and only High Priest), he must be reasonably sure that he will survive.

HPoH's plan, now that I think about it, may involve filibustering, or other wise blocking voting that the High Priests of the other gods are trying to force through. Heck, he may even use this, or some other tactic, to try and get one of the other representatives to start trouble, in order to take advantage of the rules. One way or another, I feel like HPoH will be doing a bit of rules-lawyering in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by D.One View Post
    PS: Yeah, I know Woodstock and Disco are from different times. It's just how the "high high priests" images came...
    Hey, this is the world where dinosaurs are alive and well right along side humans and dragons, and we have ninjas in a (quasi-)medieval setting. I see no reason why disco and Woodstock could not have happened at the same time in the OotS universe. Heck, it may even be an annual thing.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

I've long suspected that this whole thing is just a way to get influence for Hel just by showing up. Like it somehow "legitimizes" Hel as an equal deity with equal pull.
    Wolfen Houndog - The World in Revolt (4e)
    The Mythic Warrior, a 3.5 base class that severs limbs and sunders armor
    The Nameless One, converted to 3.5 and 5e

7. - Top - End - #7

I'm the high priest of... of... of something.
    I like semicolons; they make me feel smart.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Yes, they are
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

The High Priest of Loki is blazing it.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Firbolg in the Playground

Spoiler: OoPCs
    Show
    There is high power divine magic flying around, because Dorukan actively attempted resurrecting Lirian without having the body around. That's ninth level, I think. Of course, it needn't to be a priest. It could be an archivist, or some UMD, or some kind of wish, or extraplanars, or something else. A rainbow servant warmage who thinks text trumps table.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

11. - Top - End - #11

We do know that the high priest of the Twelve Gods was at least level 13 (which would put him on par with the Order) and could possibly have been higher.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Let's make a list of the high priests whom we've heard of, and whose minimum levels we know or can make a decent guess at:

Redcloak (level 17)
    High Priest of the Twelve Gods (level 13-14, likely)
    Malack (level 12, but probably would be higher if he weren't a vampire)
    High Priest of Thor (?) that young Durkon wanted to cast Regeneration (level 13+, implied)
    High Priest of Hel (level 14 + vampire)

It's possible I'm forgetting some characters.

It looks to me as if the average High Priest is at least level 13, and quite possibly higher. This seems consistent with what we've seen of the OOTSverse so far - characters capable of casting 7th level spells are rare but not terribly difficult to find, but the bottleneck narrows significantly afterwards.

Unrelatedly, I am delighted that this thread's title provoked the same initial reaction from other people that it did from me.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

If Durkula is going after the high priests, it seems like the smartest thing for him to do would be to go after the weakest ones and work his way up. Not all high priests, as we have seen, are equal, but making any priest a vampire turns them that much more powerful. Eventually, if he's crafty enough in his conversions (though it may end up burning out that staff of his), his army would begin to outnumber and overpower any and all of the high priests, by which point he would no longer need to use subtlety and their power levels wouldn't matter.

It might not go this way, as Durkula was prophesied to bring death and destruction to the dwarven homelands, not the Godsmoot. On the other hand, he has to make a move of some sort, seeing as Roy's expecting him to be raised at this shindig and he won't be able to keep up appearances much longer without that happening.

14. - Top - End - #14

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Are High Priests really high?

Certainly there could be minor gods whose "High Priest" is only 2nd or 3rd level, because he or she is the ONLY priest of that deity. I have always been fond of Sir Terry Pratchett's Discworld deity "Anoia, Goddess of Things that get Stuck in Drawers," whose high priestess also handled the affairs of 2 other deities part-time and whose "temple" was a rented room over a shop, IIRC.

Whether the priest of such a minor deity would be entitled to show up at the Moot is a different matter and probably a moot point for the purposes of this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Also, everything Darth Paul just said.
    Namer Of MitD Threads
    Charter Member and Head Ninja of Peelee's Lotsey Ninjas
    [furiously scribbles notes on how Darth Paul is the MitD]

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

There's really two ways to answer this question. 1) Yes, if you consider ~level 13 to be high. 2) Depends on what they brought to this "moot".

Peelee’s Lotsey

16. - Top - End - #16
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Paul View Post
    Whether the priest of such a minor deity would be entitled to show up at the Moot is a different matter and probably a moot point for the purposes of this thread.
    I would really like to see Shaman Vurkle, High Priest of Giggles, at the Moot.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

If he could come then Elan should be there as the chief (and currently only) follower of Banjo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

if durkula wanted to kill the various high priests, it would make much more sense to go after them one by one, when they are alone. trying to kill them all when they are all together seems like the last thing you would want to do.

therefore
    Quote Originally Posted by thereaper View Post
    I've long suspected that this whole thing is just a way to get influence for Hel just by showing up. Like it somehow "legitimizes" Hel as an equal deity with equal pull.
    i also believe so
    In memory of Evisceratus: he dreamed of a better world, but he lacked the class levels to make the dream come true.

Ridiculous monsters you won't take seriously even as they disembowel you

my take on the highly skilled professional: the specialized expert

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by thereaper View Post
    This is also what I think. Hel has some evil plot going on, but legitimisation of her dogma seems to be a rational first step, especially since she has no other clerics save Durkula.
    There must be some sense of order - personal, political or dramatic - and if no one else is going to bring it to this world, I will.

Silent member of Zz'dtri's #698 Scrying Sensor Explanation Club.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Any decent Cleric there should have max ranks in Knowledge (religion), which means he'd be outed as soon as he walked into the room.

EDIT: And since he's a Cleric who has a legit reason for being there, I'd guess he would be pretty safe from the other Clerics, but he'd lose the support of the party.
    Last edited by Bad Wolf; 2015-07-19 at 03:49 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21

In Start of Darkness...

Spoiler
    Show
    ... Redcloak became high priest the same day he was ordained. It was under unusual circumstances, but it shows that it's at least possible to be a high priest at a low level. I'm assuming here that a freshly ordained cleric would have one level in cleric.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by ORione View Post
    In Start of Darkness...

Spoiler
    Show
    ... Redcloak became high priest the same day he was ordained. It was under unusual circumstances, but it shows that it's at least possible to be a high priest at a low level. I'm assuming here that a freshly ordained cleric would have one level in cleric.
    Spoiler: SoD
    Show
    That's a special case, though, because from what we know the High Priest of the Dark One is always the Bearer of the Crimson Mantle, regardless of his or her level.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Wolf View Post
    Any decent Cleric there should have max ranks in Knowledge (religion), which means he'd be outed as soon as he walked into the room.

EDIT: And since he's a Cleric who has a legit reason for being there, I'd guess he would be pretty safe from the other Clerics, but he'd lose the support of the party.
    He'd be outed..... as a vampire? I'm afraid the others already know that. Or if you mean outed as an evil spirit in the drivers seat, we have already been shown that that is rare nowledge, and is by no means available to "any decent cleric."

24. - Top - End - #24

PirateGuy

He'd be outed..... as a vampire? I'm afraid the others already know that. Or if you mean outed as an evil spirit in the drivers seat, we have already been shown that that is rare nowledge, and is by no means available to "any decent cleric."
    I think they mean outed as a priest of Hel, rather than Thor. Which might actually be the whole point of going to the Godsmoot.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

I'd wager that most high priests do know how vampires work. A random gnome cleric did, after all and one would expect most of the highest-level clerics in the world to roll significantly higher on Knowledge (Religion) checks than s/he did.
    Last edited by Emanick; 2015-07-19 at 09:00 PM.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, I meant outed as not actually being durkon. You think high priests would have more ranks then a random priest.

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    Show
    That's a special case, though, because from what we know the High Priest of the Dark One is always the Bearer of the Crimson Mantle, regardless of his or her level.
    Show
    Also, everyone was dead. And I think the cloak gives him a couple levels of Cleric casting levels (like the shield of the sun or something in 3.5), as I think he casted a higher level spell right after putting it on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raven777 View Post
    Sorcerers are also based on Charisma. If a Wizard studies the cheat codes to reality, the Sorcerer literally just glares or winks at the universe. And the universe listens.
    Quote Originally Posted by foobar1969 View Post
    Flexibility is awesome, but I'd sacrifice that spellbook in a heartbeat to be a 24-7 flying hentai apocalypse demon.

First Eternal foe of the Draconic Lord, battling him across the multiverse in whatever shapes and forms he may take.

27. - Top - End - #27

Yeah, I meant outed as not actually being durkon. You think high priests would have more ranks then a random priest.
    And yet the vampire seems unconcerned with that possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Emanick View Post
    I'd wager that most high priests do know how vampires work.
    I'll take that bet.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2015-07-19 at 09:57 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

And yet the vampire seems unconcerned with that possibility.
    Maybe because there's some sort of non-violence clause at the moot?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raven777 View Post
    Sorcerers are also based on Charisma. If a Wizard studies the cheat codes to reality, the Sorcerer literally just glares or winks at the universe. And the universe listens.
    Quote Originally Posted by foobar1969 View Post
    Flexibility is awesome, but I'd sacrifice that spellbook in a heartbeat to be a 24-7 flying hentai apocalypse demon.

First Eternal foe of the Draconic Lord, battling him across the multiverse in whatever shapes and forms he may take.

29. - Top - End - #29

Maybe because there's some sort of non-violence clause at the moot?
    But as you pointed out, that would alert the other party members. I don't think the vampire is going to split from the party or try to take them all on so soon.

30. - Top - End - #30

Didn't the Giant also say something about needing Skill Focus [Knowledge (Religion)] or something as well in order to have enough ranks to identify a vampire's dual-soul issue?

Member of the Phyrnglsnyx Pronunciation Pact

PHYRNGLSNYX
    Fear-en-gil-sniks

[fyːrŋlˌsnɪks]

Spoiler: Past Avatars
    Show

Current avatar by Cuthalion. Thanks a lot!