New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Re: My Little Pony 2F: Ponibooru, We Hardly Knew Ye...

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    Trouble is, on an (ultra) modern battlefield with vehicles, that's not an advantage, really. Anywhere you can get a run going, you're going to be in the open and thus get shot (especially seeing as you already have a higher target profile to start with). (Which is why you don't see horses in modern military.) The Jalyrkeions are already smaller and don't have a rider in their favour and it still isn't enough. (Remember, a bloke in cover only needs about six inches if he's lying down, something that a pony can't do.)

Modern infantry combat is about fighting on difficult terrain (i.e. woods, urban) where you just can't get up to speed to charge. If it's open enough to run, it's open enough for vehicles.

You want heavy armour to counteract that - sure it might slow your movement speed down to the level of the bipeds (whether armoured or not it doesn't make enough of a difference with the abstractions in place), but the speed advantage you have is not enough to make any kind of difference when there are vehicles around, and you can't charge through trees or in buildings. (And, because they are using a horse's running style - albiet with a good bit more stamina - their short-distance acceleration is probably not as good a humanoid anyway; humans can out-run horses over short distances, after all.)
    Well I can't speak to all of the conditions of the setting you are making these for which I haven't been following, but its something of a pet theory of mine that we really don't know how a "modern" war would really turn out since we broadly speaking haven't had one since 1945. While a great thing I have a sneaking suspicion that any sort of prolonged conflict might challenge certain notions about mechanized units versus infantry. Particularly depending on the portability and effectiveness of RPG type weapons. Modern (American/NATO) assumptions tend to favor exspensive "100%" solutions, the country that comes up with a "60%" solution at a fraction of the cost could in theory just spam enough... well you probably get the idea. Mind you this was mostly thought up for Naval realms. Its great your AEGIS can shoot anything that swims or flies, its not so great you only have a couple dozen missiles total, with less then that for any particular purpose.

That's really a sidebar for another place and time though.

On armor though, while I won't claim anything like being an expert, its really more about the material technology. Adding bulk and thickness has as far as I'm aware never been a rewarding solution for personal armor. You'd rapidly get real stories of knights needing to be winched ontop their mounts. Just from a square cube law perspective it isn't rewarding. A modern soldier already carries around weight comparable to plate with the strike plates needed to stop serious rounds enough to keep you alive, and not stop actual heavy weapons. The muscular/clunky look of power armor is artistic not practical/realistic. Or its because that's as small as they can make the mechanics of the suit or sneak powersource/other-equipment where the frame supports it, but not to increase the armoring.

Heavy versus light armor is more about the details/quality of construction and the coverage involved. Well fitted plate I understand both more protective and easier to move in then some nominally lighter armors.

Trouble is, I'm not sure that is not beyond my and my package's technical capabilities.

*sigh*

Whelp. Have to scrap that for the moment then, as clearly I'm going to have to go right back to the drawing board, and probably have to redesign the base model a lot as well, let alone the armour.

Gonna go on the back burner for a week or three, I think, while I do some vehicles first and have some thinking time. No instant rush, I've got until early October anyway.
    Here's the thing, your base model is more or less what you need already. Apply the posing and joints from the armored one then something like Tiki's horse collar idea for a neck joint a call it a day. If someone says wheres the armor... well their looking at it in purple with a few blue highlights.

Quote Originally Posted by thubby View Post
    Diabetus and tears shall rain from the heavens!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Where's the pink hair?

2. - Top - End - #242
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post
    Where's the pink hair?
    Right... there. See? Next to the blue.
    Level 4 Bibliophile/Level 3 Bard, working toward the Bibliomancer Prestige Class

Brandon Sanderson recommender... In The Playground!

3. - Top - End - #243
    Firbolg in the Playground

I thought Cewestwia had pink hair.
    And is that the correct spelling for it?
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

4. - Top - End - #244
    Orc in the Playground

Guys, I'm going to re link this. I didn't realize that it was so new.
    The Brony Song (This Day Aria Rewritten) - Organized by the guys from RandomEncounters. It's really nice.

Related to that song, Peter Srinivasan, from RE, the first guy to sing, has a very strong physical resemblance to me (2), it's disturbing.
    As the size of an explosion increases, the number of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero.

Blackwing: I prefer to think of myself a super-advanced flying stealth dinosaur.

Forum Explorer: Reading or watching Cupcakes is like being shot. We honor your suffering but nobody wants it to happen.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    I thought Cewestwia had pink hair.
    And is that the correct spelling for it?
    No idea but it IS all but sure she had pink hair before the NMM incident.

6. - Top - End - #246

terms accepted.
    *opens portal to gummies*
    *punts filly into it*
    now wheres that drag-
    *sees her standing next to pokonic*

well then.
    she follows you everywhere, right?
    ....Yes. Unfortunatly. You could try to like, talk to her or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxtronaut View Post
    *Teleports next to Pokonic.*

So this adorable mare of yours always follows you around...

Are you 2 like, related?
    Hahahaha!.....No. I am more closely related to Boffenspark than her, because I was at least once mortal. By the way, her name is apperently Bright Socking.I have no idea about that means, but I am horrified. Clockwork, please help the lovable eldrich entity with distracting her/it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Pokonic look what you have done! You fool, you`ve doomed us all!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    Oh Pokonic, never change. And never become my D.M.
    To those that are wondering; it's a unicorn leather knife hilt.
    Spoiler: Avatars
    Show

7. - Top - End - #247
    Titan in the Playground

Well I can't speak to all of the conditions of the setting you are making these for which I haven't been following, but its something of a pet theory of mine that we really don't know how a "modern" war would really turn out since we broadly speaking haven't had one since 1945. While a great thing I have a sneaking suspicion that any sort of prolonged conflict might challenge certain notions about mechanized units versus infantry. Particularly depending on the portability and effectiveness of RPG type weapons. Modern (American/NATO) assumptions tend to favor exspensive "100%" solutions, the country that comes up with a "60%" solution at a fraction of the cost could in theory just spam enough... well you probably get the idea. Mind you this was mostly thought up for Naval realms. Its great your AEGIS can shoot anything that swims or flies, its not so great you only have a couple dozen missiles total, with less then that for any particular purpose.

That's really a sidebar for another place and time though.
    That may arguably be true for naval combat, but definitively not for ground combat.

Infantry are quite effective against armoured vehicles; when attacking with suitable anti-armour weapons from positions, particularly given the poor visibility of armoured vehicles. (That's why things like the BMP-T were invented.) However, that's not running around from place to place like nineteeth century cavalry, that's making use of the terrain to hide and snipe, in which being a quadruped will not give you any advantages. Standing out in the open will get you exactly as killed now as it would in WWI, let alone WWII. The way infantry wins against tanks is the tanks not seeing the fraggers and getting shot in the back by RPGs from somewhere they can't see. Terrain and visibility, contrary to what most wargames and Hollywood will tell you, is the most important factor in combat.

As I said before, Powered Armour is an anti-infantry weapon (which you basically use to bully non-power infantry); but it fair little better against vehicles than regular infantry. The power disparity is just too big.

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee
    Here's the thing, your base model is more or less what you need already. Apply the posing and joints from the armored one then something like Tiki's horse collar idea for a neck joint a call it a day. If someone says wheres the armor... well their looking at it in purple with a few blue highlights.
    It's covering to the join lines is by far the hardest bit. (And it's the legs that are the problem). I was hoping by using the peytral and croupiere I could mask the difficult top shoulder/hip joints relatively painlessly (in that it only took me three hours to do that shape...), but that's obviosuly not going to work.

8. - Top - End - #248

Quote Originally Posted by Pokonic View Post

Hahahaha!.....No. I am more closely related to Boffenspark than her, because I was at least once mortal. By the way, her name is apperently Bright Socking.I have no idea about that means, but I am horrified. Clockwork, please help the lovable eldrich entity with distracting her/it.
    Mentioning eldritch beings without noting the imminent arrival of The Pink One? That deserves some *LAUGHTER STRIKE*
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

9. - Top - End - #249
    Troll in the Playground

It's covering to the join lines is by far the hardest bit. (And it's the legs that are the problem). I was hoping by using the peytral and croupiere I could mask the difficult top shoulder/hip joints relatively painlessly (in that it only took me three hours to do that shape...), but that's obviosuly not going to work.
    I'll repeat my suggestion to work off the draught horse silhouette and cover the very complex ankle joints (well not really ankles, not sure what the proper terminology is here) with a simple cone of armor. I think this would facilitate things a lot from a modelling perspective, and would also balance out the fairly top heavy figure.
    Truth resists simplicity.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Barbarian in the Playground

It won't work out for the first two months or so, but later on I would be quite happy to lend my services to the Ask Blog.

Here's and example of my art,
    Spoiler
    Show

Which took me about half an hour altogether. I'm afraid I don't have much skill with coloring it with image editing, so my posts would mostly be black and white.
    Last edited by Gideon Falcon; 2012-06-22 at 03:24 PM.
    It's a falcon. Wearing a Fedora. Your argument is irrelevant.
    Official Member of the No Cussing Club

11. - Top - End - #251

By the way, her name is apperently Bright Socking.I have no idea about that means, but I am horrified. Clockwork, please help the lovable eldrich entity with distracting her/it.
    Ha! You mistake me for somepony else! I am the admiral aboard the E.F.R.S.N. Harmony. Clockwork works aboard my ship as chief engineer, say hello!

*Clockwork teleports next to me.*

Hey there! *Looks towards Pokonic & Bright Socking.* What's up with them?

Do not worry, they're from the internet.

Uh-huh.

Clockwork, this Eldritch fellow wishes to be rid of Bright Socking. Perhaps you could help him?

Sure thing, boss. *Trots up to Bright Socking, looks towards Pokonic.* Hey "Eldritch", does she like socks and glowsticks?
    (Un?)official ponythread element of airships.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

No idea but it IS all but sure she had pink hair before the NMM incident.
    Where is the evidence for this? From what I know its just a popular fan idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

13. - Top - End - #253
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Storybook opening from the first episode showed she had pink hair.
    Last edited by Gamerlord; 2012-06-22 at 03:52 PM.
    Credit for my various avatars goes to Dashwood,Cealocanth,Kwarkpudding,Randomizer,kpengu in,Alarra,Bisected8,zimmerwald1915, and Thanqol.

Once known as "Gamerkid".

14. - Top - End - #254
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerlord View Post
    I stand corrected. Ignore me then.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

15. - Top - End - #255

Quote Originally Posted by Maxtronaut View Post
    Ha! You mistake me for somepony else! I am the admiral aboard the E.F.R.S.N. Harmony. Clockwork works aboard my ship as chief engineer, say hello!

*Clockwork teleports next to me.*

Hey there! *Looks towards Pokonic & Bright Socking.* What's up with them?

Do not worry, they're from the internet.

Uh-huh.

Clockwork, this Eldritch fellow wishes to be rid of Bright Socking. Perhaps you could help him?

Sure thing, boss. *Trots up to Bright Socking, looks towards Pokonic.* Hey "Eldritch", does she like socks and glowsticks?
    No, but I do think she likes, certent things that I should not realy say. Oh, wait, I think she likes you. Thubby, expect your dragon and membership package to come in soon.

Heh, suckers.

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    In the litte storybook series opener, she had pink hair. Grr, stupid Pinkie.
    Last edited by Pokonic; 2012-06-22 at 03:59 PM.
    Show

16. - Top - End - #256
    Titan in the Playground

That may arguably be true for naval combat, but definitively not for ground combat.

Infantry are quite effective against armoured vehicles; when attacking with suitable anti-armour weapons from positions, particularly given the poor visibility of armoured vehicles. (That's why things like the BMP-T were invented.) However, that's not running around from place to place like nineteeth century cavalry, that's making use of the terrain to hide and snipe, in which being a quadruped will not give you any advantages. Standing out in the open will get you exactly as killed now as it would in WWI, let alone WWII. The way infantry wins against tanks is the tanks not seeing the fraggers and getting shot in the back by RPGs from somewhere they can't see. Terrain and visibility, contrary to what most wargames and Hollywood will tell you, is the most important factor in combat.

As I said before, Powered Armour is an anti-infantry weapon (which you basically use to bully non-power infantry); but it fair little better against vehicles than regular infantry. The power disparity is just too big.
    Forgive me if I'm misunderstanding something, but I don't see how the powered armor itself is causing any problems for the Jalyrkeons. They can still wear it to have an advantage over non-powered infantry, and from your responses it seems to me that the powered armor isn't really making them more vulnerable to anti-vehicle weapons than they would have been already due to their natural shape and size. Given their builds, they sort of remind me of Mass Effect Elkor, who definitely would have a disadvantage in close quarters fighting, but can somewhat make up for that by carrying heavy armaments on each individual soldier.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

17. - Top - End - #257
    Troll in the Playground

*looks at maxtronaut*
    when did you get a teleporter?

excellent! in that case,
    *wraps arm around pokonic*
    I have an idea
    *teleports self and pokonic into the sun*
    AHAHAHA
    a tiny space dedicated to a beloved grandpa now passed. may every lunch be peanut butter-banana sandwiches.
    i has 2/4 an internets.
    old avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

gnome_4ever:

18. - Top - End - #258

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerlord View Post
    It also showed her sometimes with pink wings and sometimes with white; is that also "all but sure"? What about the pointy hooves and no defined leg joints? Or the fact that, apart from the Princesses, the only ponies visible in said storybook sequence appear to be earth ponies?

For that matter, the stained glass in "Return of Harmony" - which is definitely a thing that exists in-universe, whereas the storybook bit could as easily be Twilight's mental images based on the narration - shows her with blue hair.

I have no problem with early pink-only hair as a fanon, but that's all it is. Unless, of course, there's some manner of creator statement that's not being shared with the class.
    Level 4 Bibliophile/Level 3 Bard, working toward the Bibliomancer Prestige Class

Brandon Sanderson recommender... In The Playground!

19. - Top - End - #259

I have an idea
    AHAHAHA
    Gahahahaaaaaaaa, oh no, you sent me into the sun, what shall I doooooo....

Oh, wait, get a tan. I have so many protective spells on me right now I don't know what half of them do. Immunity to fire was the first one I picked, because if I have to deal with one more fire elemental I might just scream. Now, while I do wish to whip out a pair of sunglasses to mock you, alas, last time glass melted over my eyes I remembered just how much that hurts. So long, my good friend, good luck the deamoness who knows where you are now!

"teliports out"
    Show

20. - Top - End - #260

*looks at maxtronaut*
    when did you get a teleporter?

excellent! in that case,
    I have an idea
    AHAHAHA
    *Looks down at Bright, notice that she's sobbing. Pancreas explodes.*

Well, there goes another one! *Passes out.*

*Looks towards Maxtronaut. Rolls eyes, looks back towards Bright Socking. *wipes her tear.*

Hey, hey, don't worry about them. Whoever those two where, something tells me that they'll be okay. For now, would you like to come back to the ship with us? I could be your big brother until those guys get back. Sound good?

*Nods. Smiles. Hugs Clockwork.*

Huh, alright then. I've always wanted to have a little sis. *Stands over Maxtronaut.* Until the admiral recovers, I guess I'll be taking over his profile. Feel free to talk to either myself or my new little sis! Oh, by the way, Thubby, whoever the Tartarus you are, the teleporters are Diamond Dog Consortium technology.

*All 3 teleport back to the ship.*
    (Un?)official ponythread element of airships.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Barbarian in the Playground

*reads through thread*
    ....Suddenly
    Spoiler
    Show

....I now feel the urge to express how much I LIKE guns and explosions and fighting , and how it is the basis of everything I like and learned by myself since I'm 4 years old and IT'S JUST PLAIN AWESOME!!!

So I now LOVE YOU GUYS!
    *Hugs everyone*

Besides I just watched Boast Busters.... What's exactly so good about Trixie?
    Last edited by Luka; 2012-06-22 at 04:47 PM.
    Extended sig
    It's not a Paladin it's a Crusader
    Bloody Screens
    : Bringing realism to Videogames since someone had the idea
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #262
    Titan in the Playground

Why? Why did I just go through the comments of the comic I posted a few days ago? People sure are getting their somethings in a knot over an innocent kiss between two young ponies. It's like they've never been young themselves.

Ugh!

Urge to massively troll... rising! RISING! RAAAARGH! *crawls out from under bridge, foaming at the mouth*

Now I seriously want to write a story about Scoots and Rumble making wild, passionate love. Oh, the delectable roar of the offended masses!

Maybe... maybe I should replace Scoots with another colt. Yeeeees! But who?

23. - Top - End - #263

Quote Originally Posted by Deadly View Post
    Why? Why did I just go through the comments of the comic I posted a few days ago? People sure are getting their somethings in a knot over an innocent kiss between two young ponies. It's like they've never been young themselves.

Ugh!

Urge to massively troll... rising! RISING! RAAAARGH! *crawls out from under bridge, foaming at the mouth*

Now I seriously want to write a story about Scoots and Rumble making wild, passionate love. Oh, the delectable roar of the offended masses!

Snip's! Who was shapeshifted to look like Snails!
    Show

24. - Top - End - #264
    Colossus in the Playground

Ugh!

I understand that there are people who suggest that friends should stop friends from doing things like this. I want no truck with those people. You should totally do it.

Snails.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    I understand that there are people who suggest that friends should stop friends from doing things like this. I want no truck with those people. You should totally do it.
    Right!

Snails.
    Snip's! Who was shapeshifted to look like Snails!
    Snips and Snails, then? Switched bodies?

They do seem like an obvious pair.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Colossus in the Playground

Right!

Snips and Snails, then? Switched bodies?

They do seem like an obvious pair.
    No, there's no shock in shipping SnipsXSnails. To really get in people's grills you need it to be something kind of awful, like SnailsXFluttershy.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Titan in the Playground

No, there's no shock in shipping SnipsXSnails. To really get in people's grills you need it to be something kind of awful, like SnailsXFluttershy.
    True enough. The point is still to write a story about young love, though, so it should absolutely be two colts.

There's Featherweight, too.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Titan in the Playground

Ugh!

I've never been young

Trolling people like that are just too much fun to resist. My suggestion is to use Roid Rage. That'll really drive them crazy.

(autosuggestion is apparently a word. huh)

Quote Originally Posted by Luka View Post
    *reads through thread*
    ....Suddenly
    Spoiler
    Show

....I now feel the urge to express how much I LIKE guns and explosions and fighting , and how it is the basis of everything I like and learned by myself since I'm 4 years old and IT'S JUST PLAIN AWESOME!!!

So I now LOVE YOU GUYS!
    *Hugs everyone*

Besides I just watched Boast Busters.... What's exactly so good about Trixie?
    Hey Luka . What's good about Trixie is that her story isn't over so you can write nearly anything about her. She makes it really easy to write a fanfic.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

29. - Top - End - #269

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    Hey Luka . What's good about Trixie is that her story isn't over so you can write nearly anything about her. She makes it really easy to write a fanfic.
    Also all we've seen of Trixie is a stage persona, so like Woona, blank slate to be etched.
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #270
    Troll in the Playground

The genderbent CMC.
    Truth resists simplicity.