New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGirl

Default Re: OOTS #1246 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Hurkyl View Post
    It's a bit of a nitpick, but the idea she could be a "fleeing" character rather than, say, a "retreating to a corner" character doesn't seem to have dawned on V.

Sure, V was maybe unduly nonchalant about the maneuver, but that's the sort of thing I mean "not realizing control has slipped away from you".
    V might have thought she was just retreating to a corner until the panel where the beholder made the hole, even though Hayley had said a few panel earlier that she may have an escape route.

But V spent another panel wandering and talking after the hole was opened. Hayley and Belkar were concerned enough at that point to be running.
    Last edited by Liquor Box; 2021-10-24 at 08:49 PM.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Titan in the Playground

I think it’s been established long ago that V isn’t as tactically savvy as say Haley or Roy.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

3. - Top - End - #363
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

High Int, low Wis characters like V are described by the DMG (or possibly the Player's Handbook, I can't remember) as being comparable to absent-minded professors - good at applied problem-solving but poor at situational awareness.

This seems like a good example of poor situational awareness, so I think that's what's going on here.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

4. - Top - End - #364
    Titan in the Playground

Hey, didn't Blackwing suggest swinging Roy around to hit things with his sword, and then V said that would be inefficient and throwing him once before casting other spells before Haley reminded them they have clerics now they can fix that? I think that's a very good example at showing that V still isn't exactly a tactical genius.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

5. - Top - End - #365
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Hey, didn't Blackwing suggest swinging Roy around to hit things with his sword, and then V said that would be inefficient and throwing him once before casting other spells before Haley reminded them they have clerics now they can fix that? I think that's a very good example at showing that V still isn't exactly a tactical genius.
    Yeah, but they made the same joke when they got V back

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0921.html

I think it's just Rich's way of joking about how OP magic is in this setting.
    Last edited by littlebum2002; 2021-10-25 at 07:47 AM.

6. - Top - End - #366
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post

No I mean the “actually taking the ‘hit someone with the paralyzed fighter’ idea seriously” part.
    Last edited by danielxcutter; 2021-10-25 at 08:03 AM.

7. - Top - End - #367
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hurkyl View Post
    It's a bit of a nitpick, but the idea she could be a "fleeing" character rather than, say, a "retreating to a corner" character doesn't seem to have dawned on V.

Sure, V was maybe unduly nonchalant about the maneuver, but that's the sort of thing I mean "not realizing control has slipped away from you".
    Fair enough.

Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post

He's joked about it in other ways too
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

8. - Top - End - #368
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

No reason it can't be both. V is only recently learning how to not "wield [magic] like a cudgel," after all, and one of Haley's biggest informed (& demonstrated!) traits is savviness and being able to get a good read on people and the situation in general.

On a side note, especially in 5e, I think we'd all have saved ourselves a lot of headache if Wisdom was called, like, Awareness or Intuition instead. That would do a much better job of explaining why animals have bonuses to it, and I think it even fits in with most of the Wisdom-save effects, which are geared to mess with your head and could be overthrown by recognizing that something's "not right." Slightly harder to justify druids and especially clerics using it as a main stat, but you could describe it as their connection/awareness of the world around them.

Mostly, I just don't really like the idea of your decision-making ability being tied to an in-game stat, because it feels like metagaming to come up with a "less" or "more" clever solution than your character "should" be capable of. I much more like the idea of your Wisdom being your awareness, your Intelligence being the knowledge available to you, and your choices being what you do with those two sets of input.

9. - Top - End - #369
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, I know a game - which I will not mention properly as it is incredibly NSFW, though it’s unironically good outside of that too - has three mental stats; Willpower, Cunning, and Presence, which I recall one of the devs saying that none of them directly translate to intelligence or anything like that.

Extended sig here.

10. - Top - End - #370
    Banned

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Ionathus View Post
    No reason it can't be both. V is only recently learning how to not "wield [magic] like a cudgel," after all, and one of Haley's biggest informed (& demonstrated!) traits is savviness and being able to get a good read on people and the situation in general.

On a side note, especially in 5e, I think we'd all have saved ourselves a lot of headache if Wisdom was called, like, Awareness or Intuition instead. That would do a much better job of explaining why animals have bonuses to it, and I think it even fits in with most of the Wisdom-save effects, which are geared to mess with your head and could be overthrown by recognizing that something's "not right." Slightly harder to justify druids and especially clerics using it as a main stat, but you could describe it as their connection/awareness of the world around them.

Mostly, I just don't really like the idea of your decision-making ability being tied to an in-game stat, because it feels like metagaming to come up with a "less" or "more" clever solution than your character "should" be capable of. I much more like the idea of your Wisdom being your awareness, your Intelligence being the knowledge available to you, and your choices being what you do with those two sets of input.
    I had a DM once that remarked that all characters have two sets of stats, the character's, and the players. The most common version when this get illustrated is when someone is making a charisma or int check to influence someone's behavior or to solve a problem/puzzle. Many DM's will allow the person to just roll against the stat rather than come up with what they would say or try because the players stat is generally not 18. I'm not trying to run down players here, its just illustrative that the characters we play are sometimes DaVinci's and Ghandi's, and they rest of us just aren't.
    Last edited by Skull the Troll; 2021-10-25 at 10:57 AM.

11. - Top - End - #371
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Skull the Troll View Post
    I had a DM once that remarked that all characters have two sets of stats, the character's, and the players. The most common version when this get illustrated is when someone is making a charisma or int check to influence someone's behavior or to solve a problem/puzzle. Many DM's will allow the person to just roll against the stat rather than come up with what they would say or try because the players stat is generally not 18. I'm not trying to run down players here, its just illustrative that the characters we play are sometimes DaVinci's and Ghandi's, and they rest of us just aren't.
    Big thing for me, too. Some of my players are experienced stage actors, others don't act at all. I would never want to create a dynamic at the table where the players feel like they're being judged for their own "Charisma score" instead of their PCs'. In much the same way, Wisdom and Intelligence are also in danger of being conflated in a way that the physical stats aren't.

12. - Top - End - #372
    Titan in the Playground

Roleplaying someone who is smarter, wiser, or more charismatic is really hard, that's true.

Extended sig here.

13. - Top - End - #373
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Roleplaying someone who is smarter, wiser, or more charismatic is really hard, that's true.
    Nah, it's super easy.

Player: "Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it."
    DM: "Why would you think that?"
    Player: "Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors."
    Dm: *weeps into his arms*
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

14. - Top - End - #374
    Titan in the Playground

I mean like actual character-to-character interaction stuff.

Extended sig here.

15. - Top - End - #375
    Banned

Zombie

Nah, it's super easy.

Player: "Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors."
    I am completely stealing this in my next session. Well done :)

16. - Top - End - #376
    Titan in the Playground

I don't think that actually works RAW, sadly.

Extended sig here.

17. - Top - End - #377
    Titan in the Playground

Nah, it's super easy.

Last edited by Fyraltari; 2021-10-25 at 02:32 PM.

18. - Top - End - #378
    Titan in the Playground

This. I don't like this.

Extended sig here.

19. - Top - End - #379
    Spamalot in the Playground

Winner

Well there are two types of roleplaying generally (both described in the 5e PHB) - Active and Descriptive. Active roleplaying a character who is smarter, wiser and/or more charismatic than you is indeed difficult, because you're putting yourself in that character's shoes and delivering not just what they'd say but also how they'd say it - but for Descriptive you can fairly easily get something closer to what Peelee described. (Personally though I would phrase that more as a question - "Does Bob's knowledge of dungeoneering suggest any effective ways to get the vault open? Maybe a sharp twist of some kind?")
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

20. - Top - End - #380
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

I think I'm funny. I know you are. That was brilliant.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

21. - Top - End - #381
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Winner
    I think I'm funny. I know you are. That was brilliant.
    I like to think I have my moments.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

22. - Top - End - #382
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

I'm just going to +1 all the compliments this is getting.

23. - Top - End - #383
    Titan in the Playground

I like to think I have my moments.
    I think you confirmed a crit with that Dashing Swordsman attack in my case.

Extended sig here.

24. - Top - End - #384
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

I'd like to sig this if it's okay with you.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.

25. - Top - End - #385
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emanick View Post
    I'd like to sig this if it's okay with you.
    My pleasure.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

26. - Top - End - #386
    Ettin in the Playground

Hee hee hee.

27. - Top - End - #387
    Titan in the Playground

Nah, it's super easy.

Alternate ending to this story:
    DM: Bob takes (rolls 1d4) damage to his hand. He now had disadvantage (or a -5, pick an edition) on Dexterity checks until he heals that sprain - self inflicted wound.
    Player: Wait, I have mad skillz! (Waves char sheet at the DM, pointing at high wis and high INT and points in dungeoneering)
    DM: you sure know a lot about vault doors, but you know about jack splat about this door.

A few minutes later, the barbarian reaches up turns the handle the other way - and opens the door.

Hilarity ensues at the table.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

28. - Top - End - #388
    Titan in the Playground

Thaaaaaat honestly kinda sounds like a jerk move on the DM's part.

Extended sig here.

29. - Top - End - #389
    Bugbear in the Playground

Nice! Though to me it also evokes the Nightmare on Elm Street franchise.

30. - Top - End - #390
    Barbarian in the Playground

Thaaaaaat honestly kinda sounds like a jerk move on the DM's part.
    Kind of seems like both DM and player are being jerks.

Regardless, I don't really see either interaction actually happening in a 3.P game. In my experience, it's more like

DM: "You see a massive locked vault door before you."

Player1: "Hmmm. I have high Int and Wis and lots of ranks in Dungeoneering. Can I use that to try and figure out something about this door?"

DM: "Well usually it would be a disable device check... does anybody have that?"

Players: *silence* *no eye contact*

Player2: "I'm just going to grab the knob and use my strength to twist it open."

DM: "Okay make a str check"

Player2: "21"

DM: "You grab the knob and twist with all your strength. It seizes in your grasp and does 5 damage to you and gives you a -2 to dexterity until you next heal."

Player1: "Can I try dungeoneering now"

DM: "Okay, well go ahead and make your roll. Add a synchronicity bonus if you have five ranks in Knowledge Architecture and Engineering"

Player1: "36"

DM: "Okay. After a few minutes of study you figure out that its a trick knob. If you turn it the way its meant to turn, you seize up the lock and trigger the trap that damages you. But if you pull out and turn the opposite way, it unlocks"