New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Why is "2001: A Space Odyssey" considered such a good movie?

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Except that moment is meant to be a joke at Marky Mark's dad character's expense, like "haha, overbearing authority figure, our love is pure". It's a moment where we're supposed to be on the side of the guy with the card. It's only in the movie for that reason. It affects nothing else and if they had both been 19 they would of had to cut one joke.
    Oh. Well, then scratch my charitable guess.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Firbolg in the Playground

Except that moment is meant to be a joke at Marky Mark's dad character's expense, like "haha, overbearing authority figure, our love is pure". It's a moment where we're supposed to be on the side of the guy with the card. It's only in the movie for that reason. It affects nothing else and if they had both been 19 they would of had to cut one joke.
    I haven't seen tne film but I think the authority figure being told off like that would be legitimate;y funny.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ettin in the Playground

The scene is easy to find online. You can decide for yourself.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Crow View Post
    Apparently some people just need everything to be spelled out for them. Those people, like all people, aren't going to like certain movies.

Some people think the theatrical release of Blade Runner was the best one, and the director's cuts ruined it. Or vise versa. If you are one of those who needed to know Deckard was a replicant, you probably don't like 2001.
    Nonsense. I liked the ambiguity, and hated having it spelled out. I dislike excessive narration.

I also dislike 2001.

There is a difference between ambiguity and a longass light show. The light show doesn't bring other possibilities and questions to mind. It's just a light show. "artistic", but not actually informative. The HAL substory, that was good. The rest of it, ehhhh.

5. - Top - End - #95

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    There is a difference between ambiguity and a longass light show. The light show doesn't bring other possibilities and questions to mind. It's just a light show. "artistic", but not actually informative. The HAL substory, that was good. The rest of it, ehhhh.
    Plus, even in the film Bowman explicitly says "It's full of stars" not "It's full of lava lamps and kaleidoscopes"
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

6. - Top - End - #96

You know, you could probably make a good Lucky Charms commercial out of that ending...

"oh my god, it's full of stars..." and then the other marshmallow shapes appear as well, and we see him eating a bowl of them in the space hotel, and the sad thing is that if you haven't already read the book (to know what the real ending means) this would actually make a lot more sense as an ending

EDIT:
    ...And then a giant Lucky Charms box appears at the foot of his bed and we see the leprechaun staring down at the earth from space and it still makes more sense than the real ending
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2016-08-24 at 02:35 PM.

Omegaupdate Forum

7. - Top - End - #97
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    You know, you could probably make a good Lucky Charms commercial out of that ending...

"oh my god, it's full of stars..." and then the other marshmallow shapes appear as well, and we see him eating a bowl of them in the space hotel, and the sad thing is that if you haven't already read the book (to know what the real ending means) this would actually make a lot more sense as an ending

EDIT:
    ...And then a giant Lucky Charms box appears at the foot of his bed and we see the leprechaun staring down at the earth from space and it still makes more sense than the real ending
    I don't know that I agree with you, but I love that. Frickin 'illarious. Nice job.

When I first watched 2001 I didn't really get it. I was 12 or so. Years later, around adulthood, 20 or so, the movie had a whole different impact. It's a pretty creepy movie that has some fantastic moments. It has pacing issues IMO, but those don't really detract from overall experience for me. I think it's a landmark movie that everyone should see if for no other reason to say 'I don't like it'.

Edit to address Kubrick v. Bay: I've only seen a few Bay movies. I've also only seen a few of Kubrick's work. Pound for pound,as a director, Kubrick's far superior to Bay.

To whit, has Bay done anything that can compare, as a work of art, to what Kubrick did with Full Metal Jacket? I do not think so. As much as the song Lyla by Derek and the Dominos, is 2 songs in one, so is FMJ 2 movies in one. Until Bay makes something as awesome as FMJ, he pales in comparison.
    Last edited by nyjastul69; 2016-08-24 at 03:27 PM.

8. - Top - End - #98

EDIT:
    [snort]

You're a sinner. You're sinning against Kubrick.

As I wrote, the movie makes perfect sense when viewed as an allegory for human development, light show and all. Never read the book; don't care to.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by nyjastul69 View Post
    To whit, has Bay done anything that can compare, as a work of art, to what Kubrick did with Full Metal Jacket? I do not think so. As much as the song Lyla by Derek and the Dominos, is 2 songs in one, so is FMJ 2 movies in one. Until Bay makes something as awesome as FMJ, he pales in comparison.
    A way stronger claim than that can be made. I haven't seen the worst of Kubrick, and neither have I seen the best of Bay, but consider that the worst rated Kubrick movie, as per Rotten Tomatoes, is Eyes Wide Shut with a 74, while the best rated Bay movie is The Rock with a 66. So, far from Bay reaching the peaks of Kubrick, he hasn't even reached the nadir. I'm not saying it's a perfect metric by any means, but it just goes to show the ridiculous gap that exists between these two film makers. Bay isn't in Kubrick's league at all. Hell, he's not even in the league below Kubrick, where above average directors go, or the league below that, where things are strictly average. He's hanging out at very much below average, hitting average at his peaks and falling to very bad at his valleys.

10. - Top - End - #100

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by MLai View Post
    Especially once it starts rapping.
    Yo, I'm HAL 9000 and I'm here to say,
    I've been reading your lips in a major way!
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    I can't find the one with the "cartoon butt," though.
    OK, finally tracked the Naked Superheroes guy down
    What do you see as being objectionable about it? The use of the word "bimbos"?
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    There are no nipples or genitals
    Looks like a nipple when I look close.
    Then don't look close.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by eggynack View Post
    A way stronger claim than that can be made. I haven't seen the worst of Kubrick, and neither have I seen the best of Bay, but consider that the worst rated Kubrick movie, as per Rotten Tomatoes, is Eyes Wide Shut with a 74, while the best rated Bay movie is The Rock with a 66. So, far from Bay reaching the peaks of Kubrick, he hasn't even reached the nadir. I'm not saying it's a perfect metric by any means, but it just goes to show the ridiculous gap that exists between these two film makers. Bay isn't in Kubrick's league at all. Hell, he's not even in the league below Kubrick, where above average directors go, or the league below that, where things are strictly average. He's hanging out at very much below average, hitting average at his peaks and falling to very bad at his valleys.
    He, Uwe Boll, and M. Night Shyamalan run a poker table on that tier, in honor of Ed Wood.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    He, Uwe Boll, and M. Night Shyamalan run a poker table on that tier, in honor of Ed Wood.
    Nah, Ed Wood is different. He had this beautiful and sincere love for the art of film, even if he didn't personally have immense talent for it. I still contend that Glen or Glenda is actually a good film.

Edit: I also really liked The Last Airbender, even if it's mostly in an ironical sense. Wound up watching it twice for the awesome humor value.
    Last edited by eggynack; 2016-08-24 at 05:16 PM.

13. - Top - End - #103

Imp

I don't think Shaymalan belongs at that same table, either. His lows are just as low as Bay and Boll, but M. Night at least has the capacity to make actual good movies. Unfortunately, he only made two and then just stopped.

And really, even when he makes a bad movie, he usually is at least making an attempt to make something artistic and interesting. A failed attempt, but an attempt nonetheless.
    Last edited by Fawkes; 2016-08-24 at 05:21 PM.
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Then don't look close.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Titan in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    I don't think Shaymalan belongs at that same table, either. His lows are just as low as Bay and Boll, but M. Night at least has the capacity to make actual good movies. Unfortunately, he only made two and then just stopped.

And really, even when he makes a bad movie, he usually is at least making an attempt to make something artistic and interesting. A failed attempt, but an attempt nonetheless.
    Yeah, I was assuming it was referring to post-good Shaymalan. I dunno that I'd call Airbender a real artistic attempt though. Thing had its moments where you could see some theoretical intentionality, but mostly it was exposition and not paying off a live action water fish monster. And also showing a villain getting drowned by four anonymous water benders. I tend to draw a distinction between movies like Airbender, which I laugh at for its badness, and movies like The Room, which I laugh at but also think is just a genuinely great film. I must say, however, that I don't have much experience with Shyamalan, so he may have hit that kinda sincere attempt but mediocre film level in between his highs and lows.
    Last edited by eggynack; 2016-08-24 at 05:28 PM.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

For that matter, Bay himself doesn't fit in, because unlike some of the others, he's never made the (public) mistake of considering his own films to be good. He makes explosion-filled LCD shlock action flicks, that earn impossible amounts of money, and he's not the least bit ashamed of any of it.

Boll's the only one there who makes terrible films and thinks he's making art.

16. - Top - End - #106

Imp

Yeah, I was assuming it was referring to post-good Shaymalan. I dunno that I'd call Airbender a real artistic attempt though. Thing had its moments where you could see some theoretical intentionality, but mostly it was exposition and not paying off a live action water fish monster. And also showing a villain getting drowned by four anonymous water benders. I tend to draw a distinction between movies like Airbender, which I laugh at for its badness, and movies like The Room, which I laugh at but also think is just a genuinely great film. I must say, however, that I don't have much experience with Shyamalan, so he may have hit that kinda sincere attempt but mediocre film level in between his highs and lows.
    Yeah, I haven't seen Airbender, so I can't pass judgment, but the impression I got from reviews was that it was a real low-effort sellout moment for Shyamalan. Probably not a coincidence that it was the first movie he directed that was based off of someone else's story.
    Show
    Then don't look close.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    For that matter, Bay himself doesn't fit in, because unlike some of the others, he's never made the (public) mistake of considering his own films to be good. He makes explosion-filled LCD shlock action flicks, that earn impossible amounts of money, and he's not the least bit ashamed of any of it.

Even ignoring Bay's lack of pretension, his film's aren't that bad. Yeah, Michael Bay makes bombastic sexist genre trash, but his films don't actively assault your hope for the human race. Uwe Boll's peers are more on the line of Seltzer and Friedberg, Raja Gosnell and the folks we'd have all forgotten but for Mystery Science Theater 3000.

Edit for Typo
    Last edited by Legato Endless; 2016-08-24 at 05:49 PM.

18. - Top - End - #108

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Legato Endless View Post
    Even ignoring Bay's lack of pretension, his film's aren't that bad. Yeah, Michael Bay makes bombastic sexist genre trash, but his films don't actively assault your hope for the human race.
    Counterpoint: Transformers 2.
    Show
    Then don't look close.

19. - Top - End - #109

Nah, Ed Wood is different. He had this beautiful and sincere love for the art of film, even if he didn't personally have immense talent for it. I still contend that Glen or Glenda is actually a good film.
    You know, I wasn't going to bring this up but I think you all have forced me to, I think that Plan 9 From Outer Space actually makes a lot more sense than Kubrick's 2001. The whole thing actually makes perfect sense if you simply assume that the main alien antagonist is an incompetent who has gotten his position through cronyism or nepotism or something

Omegaupdate Forum

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

You know, I wasn't going to bring this up but I think you all have forced me to, I think that Plan 9 From Outer Space actually makes a lot more sense than Kubrick's 2001. The whole thing actually makes perfect sense if you simply assume that the main alien antagonist is an incompetent who has gotten his position through cronyism or nepotism or something
    Yeah, now you're just being absurd for the sake of it.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

DruidGirl

I haven't seen Plan 9 in awhile, and I didn't watch it as closely as I'd like, but I wouldn't be surprised were that the case. Sensicalness isn't an especially great metric of quality, however. Most so bad it's good movies hold together rather well on a macro level, with issues mostly popping up in the form of weirdness in individual scenes. Like, you might question why the protagonists leave their worth-killing-for gas tank on the side of the road in Birdemic, but that doesn't make the movie hard to follow, and the result is that Birdemic is going to rank higher than the much superior, say, Exterminating Angel, or Eraserhead, in terms of ease of following. Y'know, movies that are great, but weird by intent.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Bugbear in the Playground

NinjaGuy

As talk of Michael Bay has popped up, I'll leave this for your amusement (Bay and Kubrick pop up towards the end of the video).
    ETA: lyrics not appropriate for work.
    Last edited by thatSeniorGuy; 2016-08-24 at 09:54 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    She was about to say "--this new place that just opened up, Starshinia, which was founded by a red-headed aasimar, but was just taken over by an Azurite fallen paladin turned blackguard. Apropos of nothing, I hear they just invented a new spell called Halflings Don't Have To Breathe."

23. - Top - End - #113
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Counterpoint: Transformers 2.
    That movie exists solely to hang a Sword of Damocles over the WGA. The next time their contract comes up, all the Producers have to say is "Transformers 2," and they'll win every concession they've wanted for the past forty years.
    Last edited by zimmerwald1915; 2016-08-24 at 09:32 PM.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Troll in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Wait, y'all were being serious when you said the guy actually had a laminated card of this???

25. - Top - End - #115

Imp

Wait, y'all were being serious when you said the guy actually had a laminated card of this???
    See for yourself.
    Show
    Then don't look close.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

I'm not concerned with any Rotten Tomatoes metric. Well said though. To be fair to Bay, I generally use enjoy what he does. I love popcorn movies. I like shutting my brain off and watching explosions and such. Sometimes I want an 'art' movie, sometimes I wanna see bombastic explosions. I don't wanna come across as hating Bay. He definitely isn't Kubrick though.
    Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.- Benjamin Franklin

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. -Evelyn Beatrice Hall

27. - Top - End - #117
    Titan in the Playground

DruidGirl

I'm not concerned with any Rotten Tomatoes metric. Well said though. To be fair to Bay, I generally use enjoy what he does. I love popcorn movies. I like shutting my brain off and watching explosions and such. Sometimes I want an 'art' movie, sometimes I wanna see bombastic explosions. I don't wanna come across as hating Bay. He definitely isn't Kubrick though.
    I definitely don't think it tells you absolutely that all Kubrick movies are categorically better than all Bay movies. Not even sure that that's my personal opinion. Still, it implies how massive the gulf between the two directors is, and gives a general idea of what kinda comparisons you can make when looking at them. Because, while Rotten Tomatoes obviously doesn't prove that perfect inequality, what it does mean is that I could say, "All Kubrick movies are better than all Bay movies," and I'd have a leg to stand on in the argument. Not specifically because I could cite RT as a source, but just because that's where analysis could plausibly lead when you start with those numbers as a basis.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Troll in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

I don't wanna come across as hating Bay.
    After what he's done to some of my childhood memories, and what he has said regarding how much he cares, and the attitude he has shown towards people who watch his movies (directly or through his work), I think it's perfectly fine to genuinely hate him.

And oh my god, it really is laminated.
    Last edited by MLai; 2016-08-25 at 03:46 AM.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post

That's pretty fair. Not everyone gets to make the amazing art pieces. There's a market for people who just want to see explosions.

Nothing wrong with metaphorically making hamburgers at McDonalds, so long as you don't act like doing so makes you a gourmet chef.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

After what he's done to some of my childhood memories, and what he has said regarding how much he cares, and the attitude he has shown towards people who watch his movies (directly or through his work), I think it's perfectly fine to genuinely hate him.

And oh my god, it really is laminated.
    The only thing I can do is agree. Oh my god, it really is laminated. That *is* some serious creepypasta. I haven't seen the movie , but I watched that (ob)scene.
    Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.- Benjamin Franklin

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. -Evelyn Beatrice Hall