New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Running the game you CAN run (Or "Gaming compromises in adult life")

Quote Originally Posted by Airk View Post
    So whatever you do, don't listen to Max for advice on how to handle this issue. ;P
    I intended it as commiserating.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Re: Running the game you CAN run (Or "Gaming compromises in adult life")

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkerer View Post
    Two thing which I have started utilizing is switching to a system which doesn't have Shonen levels of power escalation (so most systems except for D&D) and having a persistent world. RPGs which don't escalate as rapidly allow for you to not have to customize nearly as much which makes scenario generation much faster. Persistent worlds allow you to not have to generate a new town and NPCs every time one is required.

They synergize quite well since it means you aren't dealing with "high-level" and "low-level" areas as much as riskier and safer areas. The downside is it normally takes years worth of playing to have a world built up enough, however this can be alleviated somewhat by limiting the world which is available to one small area. Design one city or town and have your games be "The Adventures of Thorn Valley".
    Actually this is a really good point which I haven't even thought about as I seldom play D&D and never run it. The time I've saved just having a persistent world that I've managed to run 2 years in the same campaign without introducing new villains, monsters, npc's because of power level. During these 2 years the PC's are about 50% stronger in point total and they started as competent adventurers.
    Last edited by RazorChain; 2017-11-27 at 10:02 PM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

This is going to sound trivial, but it isn't.

If you want more time to plan things, stop listening to music when you're alone in the car.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Barbarian in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    This is going to sound trivial, but it isn't.

If you want more time to plan things, stop listening to music when you're alone in the car.
    Or change the way you listen to music I often do some of my best RPG planning when listening to music as long as I shift my brain into that mindset.

Actually this is a good point though, pepper your RPG planning through your day. I often sprinkle in RPG planning while working on spreadsheets (because they are so very dry), jotting the results down in my notepad for 5 minutes every hour to give my eyes a break. I keep a gaming notepad in my bag almost all the time, or I use the voice recording on my phone (I never type on my phone since I'm on screens 13 hours a day, don't need any more).
    Firm opponent of the one true path

5. - Top - End - #35
    Bugbear in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkerer View Post
    Or change the way you listen to music I often do some of my best RPG planning when listening to music as long as I shift my brain into that mindset.

Actually this is a good point though, pepper your RPG planning through your day. I often sprinkle in RPG planning while working on spreadsheets (because they are so very dry), jotting the results down in my notepad for 5 minutes every hour to give my eyes a break. I keep a gaming notepad in my bag almost all the time, or I use the voice recording on my phone (I never type on my phone since I'm on screens 13 hours a day, don't need any more).

I always get reminded how lucky I am having a job that allows me to move around. From when I was in the army and my best buddy was complaining about his back and wrists because of his IT job and I just laughed him off as I reminded him that I had to lug around up to 80lbs or 35-40kg of gear and he was the one complaining. Only 20% of my workday is administrative and it's the part that I like the least as my mind is occupied :D, a lot of my workday involves driving and that time I can use to plan.

My players often comment that I've put some serious thinking into my plots, predicting their moves and the campaign in general....I'm not divulging that 2-3 hours of my day go to plotting and planning my roleplaying campaign
    Last edited by RazorChain; 2017-11-30 at 03:10 PM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground

One of my tricks is to have lots of random stuff to throw around. I make lists of names - if I need a new NPC, I just grab one. Civilizations have hats, often based on some either historic or fantastical civilization. I also have a rough idea of the region and climate, enough to do quick flavor. For example, a desert culture is likely to have a lot of mud-brick architecture, have extensive irrigation systems around town, and, to pick two, eat dates and sorghum. Let's make them roman based; strong sense of society, open and flexible polytheism, strong military with an idea of honor, but flexible about accepting strangers. Add a touch of a medieval guild system to make it feel like I didn't just rip things off. Boom, now I have a complete-feeling city.
    Hail to the Lord of Death and Destruction!
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! YARN FOR THE YARN THRONE! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ettin in the Playground

I spent some two hours a day commuting to and from work, so I use that for prep once or twice a week.

We play the game very simple: This is the AP, make your characters, play along, donīt leave the rails, donīt do something overcomplicated, we only have 4 hours to play, so no solo stuff, non non-essential stuff, no rules arguing.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

First of all, thanks for the replies, whether as advice, or just sharing your own difficulties.
    I'm not sure if it's funny or not, but I barely got time to sit and write this response. Thanks the kiddo who oversleeps a bit.

I have been practicing/ doing many of the suggestions for time management people suggested. I'm considered a very active and "efficient" person, but I also tend to be quite thorough and comprehensive in my endeavors, perhaps too much... (If you've read any of my logs, you'll notice they tend to be... long...). It's a struggle for me to do things differently, which may be part of the problem...

Oh, and I also plan most of the sessions in my head first. I end up writing very little on paper, but... that takes time and a free mind. These days when I do have little spare time (Such as while driving), my mind is often occupied with lots of other planning (patients, planning for time with the family, going over studies, planning stuff ahead and similar) I do think of the game from time to time, but far far less than in the past...

I think the major problem though is adjusting my expectations for gaming, at least in the near future (The next few years). Some of you commented about doing one/ two shots, rotating GMs, accepting that long very involved campaigns will not work and more... I understand that, mentally... But emotionally? Heck, I think part of me is grieving a bit. The game have played various roles in my life (I've written a bit about it), and in the past few years it has become a great outlet for creativity and escapist fun, but in a very... "involved" way? Adjusting to this change is hard, and I can't say I don't feel a pang of regret for it. A bit like having to say goodbye to an old friend or relationship, ans "settle" for another friend/ relationship, which you don't really know...

Anyway, I've gotta run (again), but I just wanted to thank you all. You've been both kind and helpful (I'll try to incorporate some advice I haven't been doing). So thanks!

Kol.

1. Special projects:
    Campaign logs archive, Campaign planning log, Tactical mass combat Homebrew, A unique monsters compendium.
    2. My campaign logs:
    Three from a GM's POV, One from a player's POV. Very detailed, including design and GMing discussions.
    3. Various roleplay and real life musings and anecdotes:
    For those interested, from serious to funny!

Thanks for reading!

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kol Korran View Post
    I think the major problem though is adjusting my expectations for gaming, at least in the near future (The next few years). Some of you commented about doing one/ two shots, rotating GMs, accepting that long very involved campaigns will not work and more... I understand that, mentally... But emotionally? Heck, I think part of me is grieving a bit. The game have played various roles in my life (I've written a bit about it), and in the past few years it has become a great outlet for creativity and escapist fun, but in a very... "involved" way? Adjusting to this change is hard, and I can't say I don't feel a pang of regret for it. A bit like having to say goodbye to an old friend or relationship, ans "settle" for another friend/ relationship, which you don't really know...
    Yes, everything that takes up time replaces time spent on something else. You let some things slide when you started gaming, and this is no different.

But that old friend will be back someday. Start looking forward to teaching the game to your child(ren) ten or fifteen years from now.
    Last edited by Jay R; 2017-12-05 at 11:26 AM.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kol Korran View Post
    I think the major problem though is adjusting my expectations for gaming, at least in the near future (The next few years). Some of you commented about doing one/ two shots, rotating GMs, accepting that long very involved campaigns will not work and more... I understand that, mentally... But emotionally? Heck, I think part of me is grieving a bit.
    I know that this is an emotional response, but you also have to intellectually latch onto the idea that it is WRONG. You can have AMAZING gaming experiences in one shots that will blow away many campaigns because in a campaign all that stuff is spread out over twelve sessions, whereas in a oneshot it all hits you in an hour.

Shed the idea - and berate yourself if you find yourself thinking it or feeling it - that you are somehow accepting a "lesser" form of gaming here. You might have to accept a lesser volume, but screw that, quality over quantity any day.

The game have played various roles in my life (I've written a bit about it), and in the past few years it has become a great outlet for creativity and escapist fun, but in a very... "involved" way? Adjusting to this change is hard, and I can't say I don't feel a pang of regret for it. A bit like having to say goodbye to an old friend or relationship, ans "settle" for another friend/ relationship, which you don't really know...
    Again - there is a difference between "involvement" and "time commitment"; You can have one without the other.