New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: OOTS #1098 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Roy's comments to Belkar about dancing on his grave seem to indicate that he told Belkar at some point. Whether Belkar remembers or cares remains to be seen.
    Can't quite remember this one. When did it happen?
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles don’t hit theheadlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, can’t be everywhere, and we, many
    So, when the world or universe needs saving, they come
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones to appear
    We're underdogs, but we rise up to the challenge to be heroes.
    (Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

"I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here"

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The story hasn't been the same without him.
    I Am A:Neutral Good Human Bard/Sorcerer (2nd/1st Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-14
    Dexterity-11
    Constitution-16
    Intelligence-16
    Wisdom-12
    Charisma-16

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Floret View Post
    I think this is a reference to "The Gamers 2", where the Monk in his "philosophical" rambling makes that comment.
    Which, in turn, is a reference to the periodic table.

Funnily enough, it is also the name of the god of death and sleep from the German "The Dark Eye" TRPG.
    Then, I made a joke about how Boron can sound like boring if you don't emphasize the on enough and how they phrased it works if you switch boron for boring.
    Last edited by Hamste; 2017-09-13 at 08:15 AM.

Spoiler: Giant in the Playground Hearthstone Champion
    Show

4. - Top - End - #154
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by D.One View Post
    Can't quite remember this one. When did it happen?
    http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0951.html
    I'm going to dance on your grave, you know. [...] Maybe a nice jig? I haven't decided.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Hamste View Post
    Then, I made a joke about how Boron can sound like boring if you don't emphasize the on enough and how they phrased it works if you switch boron for boring.
    Didn't catch that as a joke. My mistake

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Floret View Post
    I think this is a reference to "The Gamers 2", where the Monk in his "philosophical" rambling makes that comment.
    Which, in turn, is a reference to the periodic table.

Funnily enough, it is also the name of the god of death and sleep from the German "The Dark Eye" TRPG.
    Huh. I was thinking of The Fifth Element, Leeloo
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

7. - Top - End - #157
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Katrover_Swatroad View Post
    More character development! Come to think of it, that was the turning point, wasn't it? That was when Belkar really started thinking about others besides himself (and his cat).

I think when Belkar finally dies, he won't be pure Chaotic Evil. Probably Chaotic Neutral (with Evil Tendencies).
    Chaotic Evil but three-dimensional does not equate to Chaotic Neutral. Belkar was one - dimensional. He then had the vision quest. He is now three-dimensional. I fail to see him being significantly less evil.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    Huh. I was thinking of The Fifth Element, Leeloo
    It could also have been a Captain Planet joke where heart was paired with fire, earth, water and wind. Heart comes up as the fifth element a lot apparently.

Spoiler: Giant in the Playground Hearthstone Champion
    Show

9. - Top - End - #159

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Chaotic Evil but three-dimensional does not equate to Chaotic Neutral. Belkar was one - dimensional. He then had the vision quest. He is now three-dimensional. I fail to see him being significantly less evil.
    Me too, but he did bother to tell the beer dude to not blame himself. So, somewhat less evil?

10. - Top - End - #160

If he was actually, successfully following Shojo's advice, "faking it," he would be three-dimensionally evil.

But instead, he has shown flashes of empathy, duty, and regret entirely inconsistent with the person he used to be.

The halfling who says "...he didn't blame me." isn't faking it anymore.
    ... He didn't blame me.
    I ... I must succeed.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deepbluediver View Post
    I am completely on board with this. Things have obviously been quite dull ever since Dionysus kicked the bucket along with the rest of the Greek Pantheon, so what this world really needs is a new God of Partying.
    A possible role for post demise Belkar?
    Quote Originally Posted by keybounce View Post
    The only winning move? Get the gate system down to one protected gate, with no loose ends / weak gates. What will protect the last gate? I'm thinking the MITD.
    What gate?
    Quote Originally Posted by Erys View Post
    What if Odin gave the prophecy knowing Hels gambit- and he wanted to give as many Dwarves as possible an honorable death before the world gets unmade.
    Yarn within Yarn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Soon thwarted Xykon in Azure City.
    Yep, until Miko gooned it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    But...that would make no sense.
    Happens with some frequency on this forum.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

12. - Top - End - #162

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysbebatman View Post
    If he was actually, successfully following Shojo's advice, "faking it," he would be three-dimensionally evil.

But instead, he has shown flashes of empathy, duty, and regret entirely inconsistent with the person he used to be.

And the halfling who casually leaves his "options open" with respect to murdering Roy for no particular reason is still pretty damn evil.

The fact that he is now capable of empathy, sometimes, doesn't make him not an evil murderous little bastard. Just a less one-dimensionally psychopathic one.
    Spoiler: Worst PC Concept Ever
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhaegar14 View Post
    I came up with a master ninja with a robotic arm that is simultaneously both a vampire and a werewolf. He is the first of his clan in a thousand years to master the Warp Blade technique, which allows him to bend space-time to his will. So in addition to being a cyborg werewolf vampire ninja, he's also a time traveler and functionally immortal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Milodiah View Post
    ...kinda sounds like Samuel Haight got sent to the world of Rifts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    And we have a new winner!

13. - Top - End - #163
    Banned

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by warmachine View Post
    That's virtually impossible with free willed beings. Anyone makes an unexpected decision and the chain of events to create the Xykon beating super team fails. It's like long term prediction in a massive feedback system like weather. Mind you, such an argument makes prophecy ridiculous, throwing the plotline out the window, but I'll run with it.

Now, Odin could be some hyper-intelligent being, capable of extrapolating the future and seeing how to nudge unpredictable people in ways us mere humans can never imagine, explaining prophecy and how he can create a super team. Except Odin is portrayed as a senile old man.

Unless this is the metaphysics rule that prophecies must always happen because drama throws logic out the window and divine plans to create a super team always work because drama throws logic out the window.
    Did you even read Blood Runs in the Family? Of course drama trumps logic in this comic. Of course there are forces at work to make unlikely things happen. You are trying to cram your personal experience of a logical (boring) world into a world of magic. Nothing we have read particularly leads us to believe that any of these people are even free-willed at all. Never minding situations where people get charmed, or dominated, etc, they live in a world with literal gods and monsters that control the very universe.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Bugbear in the Playground

There is a lot of room between these two extremes. How about "Evil, but much less so than before"?
    Wolfen Houndog - The World in Revolt (4e)
    The Mythic Warrior, a 3.5 base class that severs limbs and sunders armor
    The Nameless One, converted to 3.5 and 5e

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ogre in the Playground

I agree that Belkar is becoming less self-centered, but I don't believe that makes him not-evil yet. Even evil people can have or occasionally display good qualities, and while you might like them that doesn't make them good. *cough* Malak *unconvincing cough*

Also, he's been fighting his own developing conscience and trying to hide it from the rest of the party, so we the audience get a much broader picture of Belkar than anyone in-story, I think.
    Last edited by Deepbluediver; 2017-09-13 at 10:31 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    It's not called common because the sense is common, it's called common because it's about common things.
    Homebrew Extended Signature!

16. - Top - End - #166
    Halfling in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

I don't believe or trust in prophecies... they cause more problems than they solve. Otherwise, every evil villain would come up with a prophecy to 'win'. All I believe is ''possible futures'' where your CHOICE decides which one becomes true. Because if a prophecy is gonna happen, no matter what, there would be no point in telling anyone or trying to prevent it. See how ridiculous it gets ?

Either way, Durkon needs to get his body back and Hel needs to get her dead-goddess ass kicked. Just throw her into Snarl for all I care.

17. - Top - End - #167

Quote Originally Posted by SilverCacaobean View Post
    Me too, but he did bother to tell the beer dude to not blame himself. So, somewhat less evil?
    Somewhat less evil, from previously incredibly evil, is still pretty damn evil. He is growing, I'll fully cop to that

I have yet to see any regret, which I consider one of the central aspects to change. It appears Soon does as well; "to admit that you were, in fact, wrong."
    Quote Originally Posted by Wowlock View Post
    I don't believe or trust in prophecies... they cause more problems than they solve. Otherwise, every evil villain would come up with a prophecy to 'win'.
    Wait, what? You can't just say, "I prophesied that I will conquer the world" and call it a day. Prophesies as presented in most stories are pulled from some power that is actually able to tell the future, not pulled out of someone's ass. It's foretelling, not justification.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2017-09-13 at 10:59 AM.

18. - Top - End - #168

Flumph

Question Re: OOTS #1098 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Wowlock View Post
    I don't believe or trust in prophecies... they cause more problems than they solve. Otherwise, every evil villain would come up with a prophecy to 'win'. All I believe is ''possible futures'' where your CHOICE decides which one becomes true. Because if a prophecy is gonna happen, no matter what, there would be no point in telling anyone or trying to prevent it. See how ridiculous it gets ?

Either way, Durkon needs to get his body back and Hel needs to get her dead-goddess ass kicked. Just throw her into Snarl for all I care.
    That's kind of the point of the prophecy as a dramatic tool. You can't just order one to suit your needs, and if you try to prevent the prophecy you got from coming true it will still come true, just in a more dramatic fashion that makes a smashing film.

That said, the Lego Movie has an interesting take on the whole prophecy concept.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
    Maybe there's a cost involved? Odin's "cost" was Durkon, the prophecy both got it rolling and warned that there would be trouble if Durkon returned to ensure he didn't return before he was needed to stop Xykon and Redcloak. Tiamat was doling out future prophesies like they were candy at Halloween, her "cost" was a looooooooooooooooooot of Dragons.

It's something I've just pulled out of my back pocket at 2AM but I can see it working that way. OF course I'm going to be way off here but still, it's a theory
    This is sort of Odin's whole "thing".

The end of Norse mythology is Ragnarok. The giants bust in and kill everyone - gods and mortals. There is no rebirth afterward, that was Christian fan-fiction added later. Heroism in the face of a lost cause.

Odin spends all his time and energy trying to find ways to delay that event. That's why he only has one eye, for example. So for Odin to see something like this is right in his wheelhouse.

Apart from that, this ranks as one of my favorite comics of the strip. This is what stories told over a long period of time are capable of.
    Skipper of the Good Ship O-ChOona (accepting crew applications)
    Launched June 3, 2016. Oona+O-Chul OTP Forever!!!!

"Like a tenacious child we were born, born to be wild ...
    we're gonna climb so high we're never gonna die" - Steppenwolf

20. - Top - End - #170
    Halfling in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Well done.

Stuff like that is ultimately why I read the threads!
    Thanks! Glad you found it funny.
    Hoping against hope that Durkon shall return in full Thor-worshipping, beer-swilling, tree-hating, jerk-smiting, on-the-fly-curing glory. Again. Curse you Hilgya. AWWWWW, YEAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ettin in the Playground

I think if your observation of Belkar was limited solely to this book you'd be hard pressed to call him evil.

22. - Top - End - #172

@many who said some variation of "okay, he's less evil, but he's still evil":

Yes, that is the case I was making: that Belkar is becoming less evil, not that he has already changed alignments. I was arguing against the idea that he hasn't gotten less evil.

I think he likely WILL change alignments before his date with the reaper. But not because he's changing quickly enough for that to make sense, really. Just because it'll be more dramatic that way. Likely some epiphany along the way will speed up the process.

I have yet to see any regret, which I consider one of the central aspects to change. It appears Soon does as well; "to admit that you were, in fact, wrong."
    I'm very confused by this statement. Do you mean he hasn't shown regret for evil in general? Because everything going on with Belkar hinges on regret and survivor guilt. Specifically that Belkar died to save him. He regrets not being able to help. He regrets (and is confused by) the fact that Durkon died to save him.
    ... He didn't blame me.
    I ... I must succeed.

23. - Top - End - #173

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    I think if your observation of Belkar was limited solely to this book you'd be hard pressed to call him evil.
    I think if your observation of Hitler was limited solely to his wedding, you'd be hard pressed to call him evil.

Belkar has not done much evil lately, yes. He has done one whole helluva lotta evil in the past, and has not expressed regret, sorrow, or any other concern for his past actions. He also seems to still revel in the boons of evil, such as being sad that nobody reacts to his name with wailing lamentations. You'll forgive me if I still peg him as solidly evil. Now, he has a lot more depth than he used to, I think that's inarguable. But I don't arbitrarily equate character depth to morality on the Good/Evil axis.
    I'm very confused by this statement. Do you mean he hasn't shown regret for evil in general? Because everything going on with Belkar hinges on regret and survivor guilt. Specifically that Belkar died to save him. He regrets not being able to help. He regrets (and is confused by) the fact that Durkon died to save him.
    Vaarsuvius committed an act of great evil. He now acknowledges that it was wrong of him to do so, and he laments that he did it.

Belkar committed an act of great evil (pick one). He has at no point acknowledged that it was wrong of him to do so, and has never lamented that he did it. Hell, he still takes pride in it (see above link). Sure, he regrets that Durkon died trying to help him. Sure, he's sad that he couldn't help Durkon. Durkon didn't blame Belkar for being dominated by Malack. Belkar appreciates this. Belkar is still Evil. The two have no relation to each other, and I'm confused why you would try to equate the two.

I do not think Belkar will change alignment without acknowledging that he was, in fact, wrong.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2017-09-13 at 12:45 PM.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ettin in the Playground

I think if your observation of Hitler was limited solely to his wedding, you'd be hard pressed to call him evil.
    The fact that you have to go here to make your point strains it to the point of breaking.

Belkar has not done much evil lately, yes.
    Right, so he's being significantly less evil. Glad we agree.

25. - Top - End - #175

The fact that you have to go here to make your point strains it to the point of breaking.
    I disagree. If you pay attention to a limited, specific timeline, then you can make most people seem to be anything, is the point.

ETA: Would you prefer Ted Kaczynski? Jack the Ripper? Any given person on death row? Despite what you claim, the name doesn't matter, the point is the same.
    Right, so he's being significantly less evil. Glad we agree.
    Not actively doing evil and being significant less evil are different things. He's not actively doing evil, yes, we agree on this. He's not significantly less evil, no, we do not agree. As far as I can tell, you think he's significantly less evil when eating dinner, or bathing, because he's not doing anything evil at the time.

ETA 2: Also, I'm amused that you can call my analogy spurious, while you effectively say, "so if I misread your comment in a specific way thatmeansyouagreewithmesoimright." Talk about the pot and kettle...
    Last edited by Peelee; 2017-09-13 at 03:42 PM.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ettin in the Playground

I disagree. If you pay attention to a limited, specific timeline, then you can make most people seem to be anything, is the point.

ETA: Would you prefer Ted Kaczynski? Jack the Ripper? Any given person on death row? Despite what you claim, the name doesn't matter, the point is the same.
    There's a huge difference between "a random point in someone's life" and "what they are doing, now, after undergoing an experience that changes them." I think you know this and I don't understand why you're pretending not to.

Not actively doing evil and being significant less evil are different things. He's not actively doing evil, yes, we agree on this. He's not significantly less evil, no, we do not agree. As far as I can tell, you think he's significantly less evil when eating dinner, or bathing, because he's not doing anything evil at the time.

ETA 2: Also, I'm amused that you can call my analogy spurious, while you effectively say, "so if I misread your comment in a specific way thenmeansyouagreewithmesoimright." Talk about the pot and kettle...
    I think we are what we do, pretty much, so someone who is no longer doing evil is no longer being evil. (Which isn't to say that he still wouldn't register as Evil in the OOTS cosmos, but that's not really what we're talking about.)

Speaking of misreading, you keep changing "has been changed by an experience to the point where he's no longer regularly, or even apparently at all, committing evil acts" to "I saw a moment where he wasn't evil so he can't be evil." Again, I don't know why you're doing this.
    Last edited by Ruck; 2017-09-13 at 02:59 PM.

27. - Top - End - #177

There's a huge difference between "a random point in someone's life" and "what they are doing, now, after undergoing an experience that changes them." I think you know this and I don't understand why you're pretending not to.
    I'm not pretending not to, I'm just not pretending that character growth equates to anything on the Good/Evil axis. Belkar has yet to repent for any of his previous actions. Belkar has yet to do any actual Good actions. Belkar has yet to demonstrate anything that would indicate that he is not Evil anymore. He's demonstrated that he's no longer one-dimensional, which you apparently equate to non-Evil. I don't.
    I think we are what we do, pretty much, so someone who is no longer doing evil is no longer being evil. (Which isn't to say that he still wouldn't register as Evil in the OOTS cosmos, but that's not really what we're talking about.)
    Excuse me, that's exactly what I'm talking about.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ogre in the Playground

Alignment discussions never end well on this forum. The Sexy, Shoe-less God of War is having some character development. Let's leave it at that.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Titan in the Playground

I think we are what we do, pretty much, so someone who is no longer doing evil is no longer being evil.
    This logic fails immediately upon even cursory examination. Does someone stop being evil in their sleep? While they have breakfast? Does someone that shoots his wife because she wasn't appropriately submissive stop being evil the moment the police wrest the gun out of their hands? How long "not doing evil" before we can consider all previous crimes null and void, especially in absence of actual regret?

It's like the joke about the guy who is really, really good at stopping smoking. Why, he stops smoking 20 times a day.

There is every indication that Belkar still enjoys causing pain, and that he will shows no compunction about killing anyone that stands in his way, or looks like they might at some point in the future stand in his way. I.e. he is still both Evil and evil.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2017-09-13 at 03:25 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

30. - Top - End - #180
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    That'll do. What are Haley, Belkar, and Vaarsuvius in this metaphor? Skin, muscle, and gut respectively? With Blackwing and Mr. Scruffy being the glands?
    ^Haley is quite obviously the hands while Belkar is the ar... behind.

sch
    Do NOT argue with idiots - they drag you on their level and beat you with experience