New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Smart Switch vs Smart Bulb

I'm trying to find a cheapish solution to my front door being dark when I come home, but I'm not sure if I should go with a smart switch or a smart bulb, or if there's another solution. I don't care about changing the colors, I mostly just want to have the front door light turn on when I come near. Any advice would be appreciated.
    See when a tree falls in the forest, and there's no one there to hear it, you can bet we've bought the vinyl.
    -Snow White

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Smart Switch vs Smart Bulb

Quote Originally Posted by The Random NPC View Post
    I'm trying to find a cheapish solution to my front door being dark when I come home, but I'm not sure if I should go with a smart switch or a smart bulb, or if there's another solution. I don't care about changing the colors, I mostly just want to have the front door light turn on when I come near. Any advice would be appreciated.
    A circuit run off a motion sensor is probably the cheapest option.

3. - Top - End - #3

The solution I've always seen locally is a sensor light. These replace the light fitting, and have an IR sensor that will detect movement and switch the light on. With some fittings you can switch the light on manually by turning it off then on again from the switch inside. I've generally seen lights with the sensor integrated, but you can get the sensors separately as well. Because you're replacing a wired in fitting you may need to get an electrician to install it.

Alternatively, you can get battery powered, solar charged versions now. They not as bright, but you can put them almost anywhere, and you can install them yourself.

This is an New Zealand shop, but these are examples of what I mean. There are wired and solar versions there, along with some unrelated products.

Edit: it turns out you can get bulbs with motion sensors built in. If the bulb is exposed, and in the right place for the sensor to see you, they would be a really easy solution.
    Last edited by Excession; 2017-12-13 at 05:49 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4

I rent, and have a pretty strict HOA, so I can't do much about changing the fixtures. I'll look into the motion sensor bulbs though.
    See when a tree falls in the forest, and there's no one there to hear it, you can bet we've bought the vinyl.
    -Snow White

5. - Top - End - #5

I rent, and have a pretty strict HOA, so I can't do much about changing the fixtures. I'll look into the motion sensor bulbs though.
    What I did back when I rented and needed a cheap solution this time of year was a bunch of white Christmas lights run off of a timer. (I had a second floor unit up an outside staircase that only led to my unit, so I wrapped them all of the way around my front entry and down the staircase. I ran the cord inside the doorframe (taped down really well) and to a timer on an inside plug.)

I don't know of that's a possible solution for you, but it's cheap and worked well enough the year I had that problem. (I finally took them down around spring break, but that might not fly if you have an HOA.)
    Last edited by Algeh; 2017-12-13 at 10:08 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Algeh View Post
    What I did back when I rented and needed a cheap solution this time of year was a bunch of white Christmas lights run off of a timer. (I had a second floor unit up an outside staircase that only led to my unit, so I wrapped them all of the way around my front entry and down the staircase. I ran the cord inside the doorframe (taped down really well) and to a timer on an inside plug.)

I don't know of that's a possible solution for you, but it's cheap and worked well enough the year I had that problem. (I finally took them down around spring break, but that might not fly if you have an HOA.)
    That could work for a while, but I was thinking of a more permanent solution. Partially prompted by the landlord deciding to install some light fixures in the rooms that don't have them. I figured that if I was gonna have to buy some more light bulbs, I should solve all my light problems.
    -Snow White

7. - Top - End - #7

That could work for a while, but I was thinking of a more permanent solution. Partially prompted by the landlord deciding to install some light fixures in the rooms that don't have them. I figured that if I was gonna have to buy some more light bulbs, I should solve all my light problems.
    That makes sense. I knew I was going to move out at the end of summer and was thus trying to solve my problems for only one winter. (I was in graduate school at the time and knew I would be moving to a new town once I finished up and got a teaching job.)

Since your landlord is making improvements anyway, you could also ask them if they'd be willing to install a motion-sensor front porch light. That's the kind of improvement that future tenants would likely also appreciate, so they might go for it.

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Algeh View Post
    That makes sense. I knew I was going to move out at the end of summer and was thus trying to solve my problems for only one winter. (I was in graduate school at the time and knew I would be moving to a new town once I finished up and got a teaching job.)

Since your landlord is making improvements anyway, you could also ask them if they'd be willing to install a motion-sensor front porch light. That's the kind of improvement that future tenants would likely also appreciate, so they might go for it.
    I'm not sure if I can find one that'll match the HOA requirments but can't hurt to ask.
    -Snow White

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I'm not sure if I can find one that'll match the HOA requirments but can't hurt to ask.
    Better ask anyway. If the HOA is strict enough they may have rules about motion sensing lights. I've rented in a neighborhood where they weren't allowed.
    "That's a horrible idea! What time?"

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".

10. - Top - End - #10

Really? That sounds stupidly strict. Thanks for the heads up.
    -Snow White

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

There are also sensors for daylight detection. Ideally they sense it getting darker outside and turn on automagically. It is possible the HOA will okay one of "sense motion" or "sense light level", but not the other. If you have access to a Home Depot or equivalent, they have lots of examples. Heck, if you just want enough light to see the keyhole but want to pass inspection, use a battery powered touch-light 3Med to the door. "What light. Nothing here but us glass with stickum removed".

My personal experience, I replaced a back porch light with a solar powered motion sensing so I didn't have to fiddle with electrical hookups. Solar part works well. What doesn't work is the sensor. Not sure if there is too much light from other sources, the lamp is so bright reflections are messing with the sensor, or it has a really aggresive timer to save battery power, but the silly thing flashes rather than lights. Dog moves, light comes on, light turns back off in under a second. Annoying, but not worth calling the electrican yet.

Oh, one thing I've learned recently is motion sensing can be a no-no in some conservative Jewish neighborhoods. Something about not purposely turning on lights on the sabbath. YMMV
    Last edited by SpoonR; 2017-12-19 at 11:22 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Just leave it on?
    If you put an LED bulb in it is will use how many pennies a month of electricity? Someone will come up with the number, but it's probably cheaper than any of the other solutions unless you are talking years.

13. - Top - End - #13

Well, I went to Home Depot and go a motion sensing light bulb. Works great, stays off during the day, and turns on when I reach the top of my stairs.
    -Snow White

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Just leave it on?
    If you put an LED bulb in it is will use how many pennies a month of electricity? Someone will come up with the number, but it's probably cheaper than any of the other solutions unless you are talking years.
    I'd imagine an HOA would be more inclined to disallow that than a simple motion sensor bulb. Dunno for certain, the wife and I had "no HOA" as one of the top requirements when we were house shopping.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2