New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 41 of 49 FirstFirst ... 1631323334353637383940414243444546474849 LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,230 of 1470
  1. - Top - End - #1201
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: The Index of the Giant's Comments IV - A Rich Source of Quotassium

Quote Originally Posted by Murk View Post
    Well, the fact that it can happen does not mean that it happened.
    You can link to something saying "This scroll can explode", and people could still think "OK, but that is not what happened" - while the tweet doesn't explain it, it does give a conclusive answer that it actually happened.
    I mean, yeah, but I find it really difficult to believe that any reasonable person couldn't make that connection once they have all the facts. Blackwing says "Good news is, I have no idea what I'm doing!" and then makes it blow up with nonsense words + using a magic device when you don't know what you're doing makes it blow up... anyone trying to argue "Maybe he turned it into a scroll of fireball!" at that point can only be trying to live their life as if Occam's razor is their kryptonite.

But then, I've argued with people on this board who sincerely thought that everyone disbelieved Blackwing's existence in Blood in the Family because he got too close to the rift the previous book and it erased most peoples' memories, and they only stopped when the Giant stepped in and said "What? No. It was just a joke." As much as I really, really don't want it to be true, sometimes the author stating the obvious is the only thing you can reference.
    Last edited by The Linker; 2016-01-26 at 03:03 AM.

2. - Top - End - #1202
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    We could include the translation cleartext as a supporting link, I suppose; but it isn't a quote from the Giant so it can't form an entry by itself. (A2 excludes second-hand sources, which is what anyone else saying the Giant said would be).
    That's a neat solution.

3. - Top - End - #1203
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Speaking as a non-D&D player, it was pretty obvious to me what was happening as inexperienced people failing to use a magical object (or cast a spell) having unexpected explosive results is a pretty common trope. I can think of at least 4 or 5 cases in literature off the top of my head, including at least one case where the failure was intentional.

I also just realized that there is precedent within the comic itself to explain what happened - when Haley practices using wands, she blows herself up.

4. - Top - End - #1204
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    Speaking as a non-D&D player, it was pretty obvious to me what was happening as inexperienced people failing to use a magical object (or cast a spell) having unexpected explosive results is a pretty common trope. I can think of at least 4 or 5 cases in literature off the top of my head, including at least one case where the failure was intentional.

I also just realized that there is precedent within the comic itself to explain what happened - when Haley practices using wands, she blows herself up.
    Indeed, as others have pointed out in the thread on #1020, translating the runes to the scroll reveals this very information, that the scene in #970 establishes explosions as precedent for the misuse of magic items.

5. - Top - End - #1205
    Titan in the Playground

OK, looks like the first one (the Gygax Magazine quote) is getting in, and the second (the explosion sourcing) is in votable range. So the tentative list is:

The OotS Strips in Gygax Magazine Will Be in a Collection Someday #1020 01/22/2016 Tentative, appears will be included without vote.
    Blackwing's Explosion in #1020 is a Scroll Activation Mishap
    Furthermore, the writing on the scroll reads "STRIP #970 P5 ESTABLISHES THAT MAGIC ITEMS EXPLODE WHEN ACTIVATED IMPROPERLY".
    #1020 01/22/2016 Tentative, appears will be eligible for vote.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

6. - Top - End - #1206
    Ogre in the Playground

Furthermore, the writing on the scroll reads "STRIP #970 P5 ESTABLISHES THAT MAGIC ITEMS EXPLODE WHEN ACTIVATED IMPROPERLY".
    That isn't a quote from The Giant.
    Last edited by Ron Miel; 2016-01-31 at 01:34 AM.
    -.____________________
    ./___________________()-------Ron Miel
    |...___________________--------sits down
    |..| |_________________()-------and starts
    |..|/__________________--------singing
    | ___________________()-------about gold

7. - Top - End - #1207
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Miel View Post
    Right, which is why it has to be a supporting quote and can't be the basis for an entry on its own. There was some support for including a reading of the scroll text to help explain the concept, and we have had supporting links before:

Real World Intent
    The Giant Applauding 5E D&D's Acknowledgement of Diversity
    Specifically, how the core rules take into account gender, gender identity, and sexuality; as referred to the article here.
    #958 07/24/2014

8. - Top - End - #1208
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Miel View Post
    Getting super technical, if that's what the words on the scroll say when transliterated to the Latin alphabet, then Rich did actually say it. In comic. As a thing for us to discover.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

9. - Top - End - #1209

Without resorting to fine technical points: The quote as proposed by Jasdoif fulfills the purpose of the Index. Calling it redundant with the strip would be a big stretch, since it takes a code translation to infer the same information from the strip. Therefore, inclusion is warranted.

10. - Top - End - #1210

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynfrid View Post
    Without resorting to fine technical points: The quote as proposed by Jasdoif fulfills the purpose of the Index. Calling it redundant with the strip would be a big stretch, since it takes a code translation to infer the same information from the strip. Therefore, inclusion is warranted.
    I agree with this assessment.

The most recent tweet by the Giant about orcs on a carpet, on the other hand, appears not to be related to the comic, though it is a bit fuzzy since it involves OOTS minitatures. I think it should not be included.

11. - Top - End - #1211
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    The most recent tweet by the Giant about orcs on a carpet, on the other hand, appears not to be related to the comic, though it is a bit fuzzy since it involves OOTS minitatures. I think it should not be included.
    I don't know how fuzzy the quote is, but it's certainly less fuzzy than that carpet.

That being said, I don't think it should be included, as all it say is he's working on stuff.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

12. - Top - End - #1212
    Ettin in the Playground

I thought the "+1 carpeted terrain" Orc comment was clearly a joke.

13. - Top - End - #1213
    Colossus in the Playground

His Twitter response to someone who showed him a picture of using his orc miniatures? Does anyone think it should be included? It's not about OotS (a cardboard Elan is an OotS miniature; a cardboard orc is generic, and his miniatures are aimed at creatures people use in campaigns, with only coincidental overlap with creatures who have shown up in OotS) and he said it on Twitter. The thread's weird "let's not include a lot of things he says on the forum that clearly are about the comic" thing since Rich asked that his views on unrelated media not be included aside, what he actually said was that he doesn't want people cataloging things he says on places that aren't the OotS forum and aren't about OotS. It should not be included and has a high risk of drawing Wrath of Giant if for some weird reason it is included.
    Last edited by Kish; 2016-02-01 at 03:37 PM.

14. - Top - End - #1214

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    His Twitter response to someone who showed him a picture of using his orc miniatures? Does anyone think it should be included? It's not about OotS (a cardboard Elan is an OotS miniature; a cardboard orc is generic, and his miniatures are aimed at creatures people use in campaigns, with only coincidental overlap with creatures who have shown up in OotS) and he said it on Twitter. The thread's weird "let's not include a lot of things he says on the forum that clearly are about the comic" thing since Rich asked that his views on unrelated media not be included aside, what he actually said was that he doesn't want people cataloging things he says on places that aren't the OotS forum and aren't about OotS. It should not be included and has a high risk of drawing Wrath of Giant if for some weird reason it is included.
    Pretty much my thoughts, and why I think it shouldn't be included.

15. - Top - End - #1215
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    The odds of it getting included are exceedingly slim. Unless the Kickstarter Mystery Prize is a sourcebook along the lines of the Miniatures Handbook and is clearly branded as an "Order of the Stick" supplement, or another contrived scenario comes about, I don't see how a comment (joke or otherwise) on Twitter about someone else's array of cardboard miniatures using art resembling orcs in the comic gets past Rule B1 (which "excludes non-comic-related opinions, statements, etc. from Rich").

Pretty much my thoughts, and why I think it shouldn't be included.
    It kinda throws things/me off a bit when people bring up things they don't think should be included....

16. - Top - End - #1216

It kinda throws things/me off a bit when people bring up things they don't think should be included....
    I figure that there might be someone else who would want to include it, but hasn't noticed it, so I bring it up for discussion. Also, I figure that there is a rather high chance that if I don't bring it up, someone else will. Hence, I am preemptively arguing against it. If, as appears to be the case here, everyone already agreed with me, then in hindsight I didn't accomplish anything by bringing it up except arguing with myself. But then posting on the forum is never really an accomplishment

It's not the first time I brought up a quote which I didn't want to be included, though it's been a few years since the last time I did it....
    Last edited by 137beth; 2016-02-02 at 01:14 AM.

17. - Top - End - #1217
    Titan in the Playground

It's not the first time I brought up a quote which I didn't want to be included, though it's been a few years since the last time I did it....
    If by "few years" you mean "several months".
    On the flip side, I believe that the Giant's non-response to a stupid, offensive, and just plain inaccurate analogy should NOT be added to the index. Indexing the Giant's post locking that thread would merely give more view to the post that the Giant didn't want to dignify.
    I didn't mention it before (beyond a general comment about one-sided-nos on a different quote) because, frankly, it's a minor inconvenience to me; I simply can't assume the initial mention of a quote has implicit support (which is what I do if someone posts a link without any commentary of their own). I don't maintain the Index for my own convenience

But when you're agreeing with someone who's concerned over the inclusion of a quote that no one's wanted included, which was only brought up because you brought up....It seemed an appropriate time to mention the trivial impact to me.

Also, I see "unconvinced but unsure" as an entirely different matter to "don't include it". The former I can see value in bringing up in case others are more certain; the latter...well, historically we haven't had problems with quotes finding supporters, if supporters exist.

18. - Top - End - #1218
    Barbarian in the Playground

The Giant's recent tweets on what Roy can remember from the afterlife seem relevant.
    The Order of the Stick death pool thread -- place your bets! (Yes, it's still ongoing and maintained.)

19. - Top - End - #1219
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Sniffnoy View Post
    The Giant's recent tweets on what Roy can remember from the afterlife seem relevant.
    Excellent point!

20. - Top - End - #1220
    Barbarian in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by 2.5 cats View Post
    Excellent point!
    Oh, definitely.
    Why should a man be scorned if, finding himself in prison, he tries to get out and go home? Or if, when he cannot do so, he thinks and talks about other topics than jailers and prison-walls?

Pokemon:
    Spoiler
    Show

Friend Code: 4484-7979-9172
    DS name: Ben
    In-game name: Lief
    Friend safari: Charmeleon, Pansear, Ninetails

Brew:

21. - Top - End - #1221

I think these two quotes are not covering anything that wasn't there in #666 already.

22. - Top - End - #1222
    Ettin in the Playground

I think these two quotes are not covering anything that wasn't there in #666 already.
    If this was true then Rich never would have been asked the question which led to that response.

People are asking the question, therefore it wasn't clear. Now we know what "fulfilling blur" means, and we should include it.
    Last edited by littlebum2002; 2016-02-09 at 11:02 AM.

23. - Top - End - #1223

Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    If this was true then Rich never would have been asked the question which led to that response.

People are asking the question, therefore it wasn't clear.
    Allow me to disagree entirely. People ask questions all the time: It proves nothing. There are many questions, because people will miss things in such a rich, complex, long story, not because the comic is unclear.

24. - Top - End - #1224
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

People are asking the question, therefore it wasn't clear. Now we know what "fulfilling blur" means, and we should include it.
    You are assuming that people have a 100% perfect memory of every word ever spoken in every comic released online.

What roy says is, if anything, even more specific than what the Giant tweeted. I see no reason to include them because they are simply restating something already said by the comic.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

25. - Top - End - #1225
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

I have made similar claims before, and have been proven wrong every time. It's surprising.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

26. - Top - End - #1226
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Helped me it did. I was totally wondering how it all came together vis a vis not remembering anything but Roy seemingly having perfect recollection of stuff. Strip nr 666 be damned.

27. - Top - End - #1227
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

I would recommend the tweets be included because

1) They are specifically about the comic.
    2) They clarify something in-comic that is confusing.

666 does not provide the exact same information, so this is additional data. This is also a useful quick reference for those who don't wish to page through the archives.

*Ponders*

Would that be a useful thread to supplement this one? A thread whose purpose is to cross-reference and index specific strips where questions are answered?

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

-Valery Legasov in Chernobyl

28. - Top - End - #1228
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by snowblizz View Post
    Helped me it did. I was totally wondering how it all came together vis a vis not remembering anything but Roy seemingly having perfect recollection of stuff. Strip nr 666 be damned.
    Strip 666, panels 4 and 5, paraphrased: "I remember everything that wasn't past the big golden gates." Strip nr 666 be salvationed.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2016-02-09 at 12:16 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

29. - Top - End - #1229
    Titan in the Playground

To be completely fair, it is rather ambiguous whether the elevator "shaft" counts as "beyond the Big Golden Gate"....And it's not clear whether Roy finished his jambalaya before he got off the elevator in the clouds, since both events appear to have happened between 600 and 601.

30. - Top - End - #1230
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

To be completely fair, it is rather ambiguous whether the elevator "shaft" counts as "beyond the Big Golden Gate"....And it's not clear whether Roy finished his jambalaya before he got off the elevator in the clouds, since both events appear to have happened between 600 and 601.
    Exactly. This clarifies that he has actual memories (fuzzy though they may be) of all of his afterlife, not just the part before the gate. If we just went by 666, then you could argue that he doesn't remember anything concrete past the gate except vague ideas for a sword move.
    "That's a horrible idea! What time?"

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".