New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

cool magic pendant effect idea for a dragon goblin mascot character

I have recently started playing D&D and our DM is fairly open about idea's and homebrew. so i wanted to make a mascot karakter and came up with the idea of a goblin who thinks he is a dragon.
    Thus "Dippy the dragon" was born.
    he currently is a 5th lvl ranger with the Horizon walker subclass ( he currently in the campaign thinks he might be a dragon with portal magic). Dippy is fully aware he looks like a goblin but stil is convinced he is a dragon. he also wears a woolen dragon outfit.

Dippy's stats are ( 12 str, 18 dex, 12 con, 6 int, 14 wisdom, 12 charisma, this is including any bonus) ( we roll for it)
    as backstory my karakter was a slave of a dragon who for fun made my karakter think he is a dragon, till my karakter escaped cause he was afraid.

In a recent tread i asked for help building my character and got a few ideas of going into sorcery at lvl 6 for the dragon bloodline.( i like this idea)

now my DM has given me a pendant wich i can kind of freely choose a effect for as long as its not overpowered.(backstory gift)
    now what kind of effects would be fun to but on the pendant to maximize shenanigans/mascot powers. (homebrew/self made effects are accepted).
    i was thinking of when its atuned it would allow me to use a breath attack once per day. but i would like to hear what others would find a interesting idea.

Last edited by karellink; 2019-05-22 at 05:51 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: magic pendant effect idea for a dragon goblin mascot character

Love the character, seems fun.

As for your question, maybe make an amulet that let's you cast dragon breath on self once per long rest. Would be thematic with the character and definitely fun.

3. - Top - End - #3

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Sirithhyando View Post
    Love the character, seems fun.

As for your question, maybe make an amulet that let's you cast dragon breath on self once per long rest. Would be thematic with the character and definitely fun.
    I'm thinking a bit more "huh"?!

Like take the above (Dragon Breath) but it's actually Phantasmal Force, and not only does it do a different damage effect each time the Amulet is used (Energy type and either 20' Cone or 40' Line) - only Dippy and the current target/s (that fails a DC 14 Int Save - or 8 + Dippy's proficiency + Charisma modifier, if higher) can "see" the Breath Weapon!!!

Now, those foes that are affected react to the perceived damage type:
    Stop, Drop, and Roll for Fire;
    Screaming about "melting" for Acid;
    Act as if slowed by Cold;
    Jump, jerk, and twitch for Lightning;
    Cover their ears for Thunder;
    Act sick for Poison;
    Etc....

(More fun for the DM:
    Have each creature in the Area that fails be affected by a different energy type.

So both the rest of the party and the unaffected foes are looking at those that are affected with "WTF?" expressions.)

Much hilariousness as Dippy constantly tries to convince the rest of the party of his Draconic power/s!!
    Last edited by Great Dragon; 2019-05-23 at 01:02 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: magic pendant effect idea for a dragon goblin mascot character

Quote Originally Posted by Great Dragon View Post
    I'm thinking a bit more "huh"?!
    Like take the above (dragon breath) but it's actually Phantasmal Force, and not only does it do a different damage effect each time the Amulet is used (Energy type and either 20' Cone or 40' Line) - only Dippy and the current target/s (that fails a DC 14 Int Save - or 8 + Dippy's proficiency + Charisma modifier, if higher) can "see" the Breath Weapon!!!

Now, those foes that are affected react to the perceived damage type:
    Stop, Drop, and Roll for Fire;
    Screaming about "melting" for Acid;
    Act as if slowed by Cold;
    Jump, jerk, and twitch for Lightning;
    Cover their ears for Thunder;
    Act sick for Poison;
    Etc....

Much hilariousness as Dippy constantly tries to convince the rest of the party of his Draconic power/s!!

my dude, i could not stop giggling with every thing you just said. i just LOVE this idea.
    again you come up with great idea's.
    Thank you so much!

5. - Top - End - #5

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by karellink View Post
    my dude, i could not stop giggling with every thing you just said. i just LOVE this idea.
    again you come up with great idea's.
    Thank you so much!
    *Bows* "Thank you, thank you very much."
    My Knowledge, Understanding, and Opinion on things can be changed
    No offense is intended by anything I post.
    *Limited Playtest Group - I'm mostly Stuck in the White Room.
    *I am learning valuable things, here. So thanks, everyone!