New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1

Default Wouldn't people like to buy a book about the lives of Haerta, Ganonron and Jephton?

To me, they seem some of the more interesting characters we haven't been told much about. Would people like to hear more about their lives?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Wouldn't people like to buy a book about the lives of Haerta, Ganonron and Jephto

Quote Originally Posted by MagusBloodsoak View Post
    To me, they seem some of the more interesting characters we haven't been told much about. Would people like to hear more about their lives?
    I would love too. On the other hand, I get the feeling the Giant is a bit busy to be taking requests from us here in the peanut gallery, but who knows? I think Haerte at least might have a part yet to play in the main comic.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Wouldn't people like to buy a book about the lives of Haerta, Ganonron and Jephto

Three extremely minor characters who were characterized by Xykonish levels of evil, who interacted with no one else we've ever met during their entire lives?

No. I can't say I would.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

MindFlayer

No, The Giant wouldn't make a book about them. But if he did, I'd buy it.
    The Doctor Is In.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

Interesting? How are they interesting? What do we know about them? In fact, describe all of them WITHOUT mentioning their physical appearance, alignment, level, or class. Let's see how descriptive we can get with these "highly" detailed characters.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Epic View Post
    Interesting? How are they interesting? What do we know about them? In fact, describe all of them WITHOUT mentioning their physical appearance, alignment, level, or class. Let's see how descriptive we can get with these "highly" detailed characters.
    Ganonron is likely an imperialistic, authoritative conqueror.

Haerta is likely more sadistic than the others.

Jephton is likely Cuckoo Bananas.

I do think they're potentially interesting characters in their own right, but I also agree they aren't worth a prequel book. Those can't be pumped out for every character to appear that might have a story, and are better saved for characters more relevant to the overall story.
    Last edited by Talvereaux; 2011-08-20 at 09:18 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Talvereaux View Post
    Ganonron is likely an imperialistic, authoritative conqueror.

Haerta is likely more sadistic than the others.

Jephton is likely Cuckoo Bananas.
    What evidence is they for any of these traits? These guys have had barely any dialogue, and the dialogue they did have was telling V to kill people.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

What evidence is they for any of these traits? These guys have had barely any dialogue, and the dialogue they did have was telling V to kill people.
    The IFCC outright explains Ganonron's while advertising the trio.

Haerta's was admittedly conjecture, so nothing to say there.

Jephton is marked by his expression. While Ganonron and Haerta look angry, he looks pretty happy! That and his "tear down creation just to see if you can" sort of tipped me off as implying more eccentric motives rather than malicious ones.

I agree they're not important to the story, but saying they don't appear to have any distinguishing personality traits isn't necessarily true.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

Haerta's was admittedly conjecture, so nothing to say there.

Jephton is marked by his expression. While Ganonron and Haerta look angry, he looks pretty happy! That and his "tear down creation just to see if you can" sort of tipped me off as implying more eccentric motives rather than malicious ones.
    {{scrubbed}}
    Last edited by LibraryOgre; 2011-08-21 at 10:57 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Who?
    Oh, them.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

{{scrubbed}}
    Just because you disagree with someone doesn't mean you have to get sarcastic and talk down to them.

Also, the point of any book written about them would be to give them more substance. It would also expand on the history of the world OOTS takes place in, as all three where major players at one point. It is true that they are very, very minor characters and the Giant likely has bigger and better plans then coming up with their back stories, but I for one found their "five seconds of character development" interesting enough to want to know more.
    Last edited by LibraryOgre; 2011-08-21 at 10:57 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Let's see. Haerta spent her time killing people without a thought. Jephton spent his time being underpowered not preparing spell slots having fun killing people. And Ganondorfron plotted to conquer Hyrule the multiverse using the Triforce epic magic.
    Overall, not much I see here that's not already shown in Xykon's motives. So, while it would be bought (especially since that's all we know about them), I don't think there's much chance of a prequel book for these guys.
    Last edited by legomaster00156; 2011-08-20 at 09:54 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

(imho) Rich is a creative m-f. I'd be willing to bet he had fairly detailed backstories for all three of them before writing the Mega-V storyline, just to make sure he didn't make any continuity errors and to keep their personalities consistent. I'd also bet he could make up wonderful stories about them if he chose to.

It would be appealing, kind of like superhero comics: origins, how they came to be what they are, major exploits, then death. An exercise for a writer. I don't really care that they don't intersect much with OoTS, or that they lived hundreds (+?) of years before the current storyline. The background to all their stories could be used to add depth to the world Roy et al. live in now.

Anything you want to expand upon, Rich, go for it in the knowledge that I and thousands of others will support you. 3,000 units at 0% discount, 10% for Ookoodook, that's a business model I could get behind. And you'd probably sell a hell of a lot more than that.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by OrzhvoPatriarch View Post
    Also, the point of any book written about them would be to give them more substance. It would also expand on the history of the world OOTS takes place in, as all three where major players at one point. It is true that they are very, very minor characters and the Giant likely has bigger and better plans then coming up with their back stories, but I for one found their "five seconds of character development" interesting enough to want to know more.
    Then why these characters? We know nothing about them so why would we want a backstory? Usually, you want an origin story with a character you've seen for awhile and want to know more about. A whole book dedicated to three guys who had just slightly more screen time than Yik Yik doesn't scream appeal. And if one of the goals is to expand upon the OotS world, you can do that with any other character.

And can I just ask what exactly makes them so interesting? They're epic level, evil arcane spell caster: the comic already has one of those and he's way more developed and interesting. Not to mention these three are basically just plot devices. I wouldn't even go so far as to call them characters. They were created only so V could get ultimate power.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Then why these characters? We know nothing about them so why would we want a backstory? Usually, you want an origin story with a character you've seen for awhile and want to know more about. A whole book dedicated to three guys who had just slightly more screen time than Yik Yik doesn't scream appeal. And if one of the goals is to expand upon the OotS world, you can do that with any other character.

And can I just ask what exactly makes them so interesting? They're epic level, evil arcane spell caster: the comic already has one of those and he's way more developed and interesting. Not to mention these three are basically just plot devices. I wouldn't even go so far as to call them characters. They were created only so V could get ultimate power.
    I actually don't feel like getting into a long discussion about this, so lets say we leave it at I would be interested in learning more about these characters, and you would not, and thats cool.

16. - Top - End - #16

While I agree with you, it's ok for someone else to find the characters interesting. People are attracted to the back stories of powerful, epic characters. That doesn't mean Rich will write any more about them, but it's ok for people to be interested in minor characters you don't care about. Isn't there a fan club for some dude with a halberd?

And sometimes characters with minor roles end up with major roles because of fan popularity. My Star Wars knowledge is admittedly limited, but didn't Boba Fett start off that way.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by OrzhvoPatriarch View Post
    I actually don't feel like getting into a long discussion about this, so lets say we leave it at I would be interested in learning more about these characters, and you would not, and thats cool.

Okay, I'll admit, some of what I said was a little harsh, and I'll drop this, but can you just briefly go over on aspect that makes these characters seems appealing. This does just seem like another "Let's make raise some characters to Guy with Halberd Status." I do fail to see what makes these characters so appealing, but just name one thing so I can have some clue.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by legomaster00156 View Post
    Let's see. Haerta spent her time killing people without a thought. Jephton spent his time being underpowered not preparing spell slots having fun killing people. And Ganondorfron plotted to conquer Hyrule the multiverse using the Triforce epic magic.
    Overall, not much I see here that's not already shown in Xykon's motives. So, while it would be bought (especially since that's all we know about them), I don't think there's much chance of a prequel book for these guys.
    You win the thread. Anyways, I agree with dr. epic: a prequel would give more back-story, but you may as well write a prequel for every single character in the series.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Epic
    WOW! You're completely right! Five seconds of character development is more than enough to gain a detailed idea of a character's traits. Alan Moore had it wrong in Watchmen: you don't need several pages of backstory, narration, and flashbacks to develop a character.
    Sometimes, you can convey a personality simply through minor details. It doesn't make a very comprehensive one, but it's more than enough for a start, and to give the audience an idea what to think of them.

and a comic expression on their face in a comic that is a comedy that uses stick figures so you know, none of their expressions are too detailed.
    They have angry brows, Jephton does not. They have frowny line, Jephton has a smiley line. Just because the style lacks detail doesn't mean it isn't sufficient to paint an expression. I'm positive you're just being facetious, however, and actually can glean the implied differences between and .

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fitzclowningham View Post
    (imho) Rich is a creative m-f. I'd be willing to bet he had fairly detailed backstories for all three of them before writing the Mega-V storyline, just to make sure he didn't make any continuity errors and to keep their personalities consistent. I'd also bet he could make up wonderful stories about them if he chose to.
    Pretty hard to make continuity errors when nothing is ever mentioned about them. I'd be impressed. "Hey, you only mentioned two things about this character, and STILL managed to contradict yourself! Amazing!"

This whole "detailed backstories for unbelievably minor characters" thing is just a ridiculous high school creative writing class exercise. It's a colossal waste of time, and completely meaningless for a character who just needs a personality and a name. V's soul splices are at this point completely interchangeable with any other powerful character. Their history or even personality is completely irrelevant to V's actions, just that they had the spells used.

I wouldn't want to read about them at all. There's nothing interesting about them. Any interesting past is entirely conjecture on your part. They're pretty generic all powerful evil characters.
    Last edited by NerfTW; 2011-08-20 at 10:31 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fitzclowningham View Post
    I'd be willing to bet he had fairly detailed backstories for all three of them before writing the Mega-V storyline, just to make sure he didn't make any continuity errors and to keep their personalities consistent.
    I'll take that bet. What are you betting?

Rich is generally much more into improvising than into "map out every inch of this tiny part of the story to make sure I don't contradict myself."

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Okay, I'll admit, some of what I said was a little harsh, and I'll drop this, but can you just briefly go over on aspect that makes these characters seems appealing. This does just seem like another "Let's make raise some characters to Guy with Halberd Status." I do fail to see what makes these characters so appealing, but just name one thing so I can have some clue.
    Its mostly a personal thing for Jephto. I want to learn about anyone who says "Tear down reality just to see if you can." That line is just, to me, very intriguing. Is it enough for the Giant to right a prequel book about? Of course not, but I would be interested in reading it all the same.

As for Haetra, I'll actually give it even odds that we see her in the comic again. Nothing to back it up really, just a gut feeling.

Ganonron I'll go ahead and agree with you, not really much there, but I am sure you can make a good story about a guy who moved vast armies to conquer entire planes of creation.

Or it could just be the three living in a never ending sitcom as punishment for their mortal deeds. Truly no Damnation could be more horrible.
    Last edited by OrzhvoPatriarch; 2011-08-20 at 10:47 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post

Rich is generally much more into improvising than into "map out every inch of this tiny part of the story to make sure I don't contradict myself."
    Oh, I don't know about his improvising. He has written a sprawling epic, and we've been able to find maybe a dozen serious continuity errors. Maybe half a dozen. At the stage of the comic he was at, and taking into account that he knew he'd be using these characters for a good while at the time, the idea that he had more than vague outlines for these characters isn't much of a stretch.

I could be wrong: maybe he needed a massive teleporker, a source of anyspell, and a massive murderer, and wrote them accorgingly. Anyway, we're talking about maybe getting another Rich Berlew stick figure book. I'm in favor.

24. - Top - End - #24

they are very minor characters, i dont see why rich would right a prequel such minor characters, when he could be writing a book on some more plot-relevent characters such as the Linear Guild.
    Illud quod aeternitatem iacere potest non mortuus est, ac dis peregrinis etiam mors moriatur.

D&D 3.5≠Pathfinder

Typhon by Kaptainkrutch. Thanks to TylerB7 for the latin

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    You win the thread. Anyways, I agree with dr. epic: a prequel would give more back-story, but you may as well write a prequel for every single character in the series.
    Wait, I won the thread? Seriously? It didn't seem all that impressive a joke to me...

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post

I can't offer any insight into how Rich writes and plans his story, but that IS a common technique when writing characters.

Many fiction writers will come up with entire backgrounds and personalities for characters that they never plan on exploring. If you make every character a "real" person, then they feel that much more believable. It helps you to understand how the character would respond in a given situation.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Bugbear in the Playground

Yeah, Guy with Halberd was such a poser.

That Guy with a Halberd, on the other hand...

On a more serious note, I highly doubt it's that. That Guy With a Halberd was more or less a running joke some people had for a while, funny out of sheer absurdity more than anything else. This appears to be serious. To that I would have to say: There are far more deserving characters.
    Wolfen Houndog - The World in Revolt (4e)
    The Mythic Warrior, a 3.5 base class that severs limbs and sunders armor
    The Nameless One, converted to 3.5 and 5e

28. - Top - End - #28
    Bugbear in the Playground

Planetar

I'd rather see the origin of an another wizard. The Origin of... Wizard Guy!

Spesifically, I would like to know what made him turn his back to a promising career as baker and settle to wizardy. I imagine there's more than enough material to fill a book.
    Signatures are so 90's.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Can you even tell who is who when they're whispering into V's ears? They all seemed like interchangeable Evil characters.

Linear Guild (+Tarquin's party and the IFCC) > something like SSaDT > Order of the Scribble > Azurites > anthology of various character mini-prequels > prequel dedicated solely to interchangeable villain(s) that only existed in a single arc to further other villains' goals
    would be my order of preference for more print-only stuff, though I'd buy any book the Giant puts out.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Raimun View Post
    I'd rather see the origin of an another wizard. The Origin of... Wizard Guy!

Spesifically, I would like to know what made him turn his back to a promising career as baker and settle to wizardy. I imagine there's more than enough material to fill a book.
    I wanna know what happened to make the Goblin Teenagers such rebels...
    Official Incense Aroma Specialist for the Vaarsuvius Fan Club!

English isn't my primary language, so please let me know if something I'm saying doesn't make sense!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Thank you, FujinAkari.
    Continuation of ThePhantasm's awesometacular post