Default Re: My Little Pony VI: MUFFINS!

Quote Originally Posted by Benson View Post
    Braeburn pic

Spoiler
    Show
    My first thought: "Oh Celestia he's nekkid!"
    My second thought: [SPOILERS]
    My third thought: *Facehoof*
    My fourth thought: Wow, this is actually a great picture!

Seriously, great pic, getting saved immediately, thank you so much.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    Raz, you scoundrel! You planned this!
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

2. - Top - End - #1442
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Weimann View Post
    If I may speak for myself, I like watching MLP, but I've never really been able to get into the whole fandom thing on GitP. The main reason is, well, the thread here tends to not actually discuss the series; for every post about an episode, there's five about fanfics and similar.
    Honestly, the main reason why there's so much discussion about fan works is that there is an awful lot of us who post on these threads that produce fan works.
    Last edited by EsperDerek; 2011-05-07 at 06:48 PM.

3. - Top - End - #1443
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Benson View Post
    Braeburn pic

Spoiler
    Show
    "Llladies."
    "Nothing can stop The Smooze."

4. - Top - End - #1444
    Titan in the Playground

Not that I frequent these threads, but I read them sometimes. It's a little funny, but from what I see, Trixie's point is "let's allow for something else than rainbows and sparkles." Like, y'know, opinions on the show, maybe even some that hold it out to be less than perfect.
    Sorry, let me rephrase.

Let's go back to when we were all rainbows and sparkles to each other, even if we were discussing iron hoof. I Like Iron Hoof. And Trollestia. I ship excessively. I have OCs. I like human-pony pics. But we can all do that and still be nice to each other. Because friendship is ******* magic, gorrammit!
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

5. - Top - End - #1445
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    Your behavior is usually quite civil, but I'm just saying - don't use the stick, use the carrot first. If you must show your displeasure, show it firmly but kindly, so that people will understand what they did wrong and how they can improve themselves without thinking that you're never going to forgive them for being meanieheads.
    ...I don't know what you expect me to do.

Also I will give my hand for a decent Braeburn picture because Ponibooru has failed me, failed me I say. PLEASE.
    Sure:

Spoiler
    Show

Not that I frequent these threads, but I read them sometimes. It's a little funny, but from what I see, Trixie's point is "let's allow for something else than rainbows and sparkles." Like, y'know, opinions on the show, maybe even some that hold it out to be less than perfect.
    Well... That depends on how you define them. The thing that irritates me the most here are links. Images are fine. Things in spoilers are fine. Even described links are fine.

But, the thing I see recently, is 20 links to, say, youtube the poster didn't even took 5 seconds to hide using [URL] tag, or spent 5 seconds describing it - these naked, undescribed links are what I skip the most, because my bandwidth is limited and I don't have time to watch every single one. Sorry. You post link, you should put even tiny amount of effort into it

If I may speak for myself, I like watching MLP, but I've never really been able to get into the whole fandom thing on GitP. The main reason is, well, the thread here tends to not actually discuss the series; for every post about an episode, there's five about fanfics and similar. I think that this, at least partly, is due to the comparatively low amount of opposed opinions, which in turn makes it harder to voice criticism without getting a chilly welcome, leading to even fewer opposed opinions and so on. I don't think the community here would suffer from a bit of analysing the series; after all, that's what it's all about, isn't it?
    I don't mind analysis of the series, of the fanfics, of the art, as I said, they drawn me here in the first place, but recently, there seems to be no good discussion at all, or sides in discussion called trolls.

Maybe a separate thread for new episode merged into this one after say 3 days would be a solution for spoilers and driving away posters on Fridays?
    Come one, come all! GitP MLP Steam Group is open!
    Current location of the last MLP Thread OP, too.
    Want to ask me something? Use MAIL or message me on Steam!

Spoiler
    Show

>Click!<
    Amazing Art by Dirtytabs :P
    HW Ava © ETsofu

"Well, the Great and Powerful Trixie can't actually transport you to Equestria... But!
    The Great and Powerful Trixie can beat you over the head until you think that's what happened!"

6. - Top - End - #1446
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    Anyway, I just wanted to say I'll drop by when I see new Ep in HD, but it seems no one is interested.
    Trixie! Hiiii Trixie! *hug*

*Sigh* No. It's just... I remember when we used all these Pony history or government system discussions. Good, deep, nice threads where everypony could have voiced his/her opinion. And now?

Recently, I remember (beside random comments) discussion about Wakfu, which I wanted to comment on, but stayed my hoof, out of fear I'll be branded neighsayer, too. But this... I don't know, maybe there was something good I missed recently, but...

Seeing somepony stating some episodes were worse and start of similar bile as in Wakfu sidetopic was too much. You know, I *also* think some episodes were weaker, I'm also of opinion some things are poorly done, I happen to like other shows besides MLP - apparently, this makes me a troll, too.

You know, this *isn't* what I signed for in these threads. If that is what they will now look like, sorry, I'll be hurt, and I'll try to keep friendship alive by PM/IMs, but they will no longer be a place where I'd like to hang on
    Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    And if anyone needs a reason OTHER than for the sake of friendship to keep the friendship alive, keeping a Trixie about has to be it, don't you think?

Cause I kinda see her point. Let's go back to the days of rainbows and sparkles.
    I have to second Lixie & Trixie, here. I think we may be getting too comfortable sometimes.

There is one caveat however; I didn't see the commets that got the Mod treatment, but in general our conversations with Irbis got heated, but never unfriendly. I'll argue tooth-and-hoof I I think someone is in the wrong, but it doesn't mean I dislike them at all. DBC and Kairaven are in the position of genuinely not understanding Irbis' point of view and Irbis doesn't do the best job of informing us on his stance. There have been other fights, but those faded by thread five.

Quote Originally Posted by RdMarquis View Post
    Hehe, nice. The citizens of Ponyville are going to be surprised when a giant, glowing muffin rises into the sky.
    Ahar Har. That makes me chuckle, thanks :3

7. - Top - End - #1447
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelbert View Post
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...LGY9_gG&pli=1#

Also, this is the most darkly hilarious fanfic I've read in ages. SPOILERS FOR EPISODE 26.
    Should have been cut off about seven or eight paragraphs earlier, in my opinion. We can already tell what she's going to do: Having her go out and do it is just redundant.

Also, regarding episode:

Spoiler
    Show
    I agree, the song did lack a certain.... something. Maybe it was just because it was so obvious that they weren't going to fulfill their dreams, maybe it was because the whole thing was just a recap of episode three, or maybe it was that weird sense of familiarity I couldn't shake throughout the whole thing (thanks to whoever made the Into the Woods connection earlier--My, but they do love Sondheim, don't they?). I dunno, it just didn't work for me.

And, wow, Fluttershy's reaction to everything was quite distressing. Everyone else reacts pretty much how you'd expect: Twilight sticks with the original plan, Pinkie fills the Not-Party with more Party, Rainbow tries to show off and assaults random passers-by, Applejack just tries harder (though loudly deriding your customers' "hoity-toity taste buds" may not be the best marketing strategy--See, Irbis, she really is the element of Honesy!), and Rarity combats rudeness with passive-aggression. Fluttershy, though... Yipe. She's dealt with frightened critters before; why the sudden snap right now? Is it fear? Is it because she knows she's out of her element at this high-class event, and the only thing that kept her from panicking was the thought that at least the animals would love her? Does she feel like she's surrounded on all sides by horrible strangers, and even the creatures she loves have turned against her, so all that she can do is lash out like a cornered beast?

I was expecting her to befriend the groundskeeper, to be honest. Poor Fluttershy.

Also, poor Iron Hoof. It was good while it lasted, but now I think it's clear that Trollestia is the canon characterization of the Princess. Sure, Irbis pointed out that Equestria might not be run very well, but now the furthest we can take it is "Out-of-Touch Corrupt Aristocracy with Bored Figurehead." That doesn't run off the tongue so well, does it? Oh, well, at least the episode gave me Twilight spurning the obvious practical solution for one involving Horrific Mockeries Of God's Creation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

8. - Top - End - #1448
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah, I'll admit, I do like being comfortable here. I've been mostly just, when something annoys me, trying to ignore it after the other day's blowup. I'll take these critiques into account and react accordingly.
    Last edited by darthbobcat; 2011-05-07 at 07:40 PM.
    My anime review podcast is coming back after a one year hiatus! www.fivepointpodcast.com

9. - Top - End - #1449
    Troll in the Playground

*sigh* I really need to sleep. And yet, there are 20 posts till page 50...

Oh, well, we had a lot of people wanting to take over, haven't we?

Spoiler
    Show

>Click!<
    HW Ava © ETsofu

"Well, the Great and Powerful Trixie can't actually transport you to Equestria... But!
    The Great and Powerful Trixie can beat you over the head until you think that's what happened!"

10. - Top - End - #1450
    Ogre in the Playground

The Allspark forums have a dedicated episode thread, and it seems to work pretty well. Links to youtube are posted to the main thread when they release.

@Mewthario
    Spoiler
    Show
    Trollestia is nice, but I'm fond of Sunny Skies, and I'm sticking to it!
    Last edited by PhantomFox; 2011-05-07 at 07:37 PM.

11. - Top - End - #1451
    Banned

*sigh* I really need to sleep. And yet, there are 20 posts till page 50...

Oh, well, we had a lot of people wanting to take over, haven't we?
    Noooooooo, I've gone through Hel and high water to try and ge you to be able to make the next thread. Don't abandon me now! *pleads*

You post link, you should put even tiny amount of effort into it
    I never put thought into it before, but... This is a good idea. I tens to skip naked links, or at best try to save them to a doc file for later. Descriptions would be swingin'.

Not sure how the second thread for episodes would go over, but hey that might be a good idea.

12. - Top - End - #1452
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    Should have been cut off about seven or eight paragraphs earlier, in my opinion. We can already tell what she's going to do: Having her go out and do it is just redundant.

Also, regarding episode:

Spoiler
    Show
    I agree, the song did lack a certain.... something. Maybe it was just because it was so obvious that they weren't going to fulfill their dreams, maybe it was because the whole thing was just a recap of episode three, or maybe it was that weird sense of familiarity I couldn't shake throughout the whole thing (thanks to whoever made the Into the Woods connection earlier--My, but they do love Sondheim, don't they?). I dunno, it just didn't work for me.

And, wow, Fluttershy's reaction to everything was quite distressing. Everyone else reacts pretty much how you'd expect: Twilight sticks with the original plan, Pinkie fills the Not-Party with more Party, Rainbow tries to show off and assaults random passers-by, Applejack just tries harder (though loudly deriding your customers' "hoity-toity taste buds" may not be the best marketing strategy--See, Irbis, she really is the element of Honesy!), and Rarity combats rudeness with passive-aggression. Fluttershy, though... Yipe. She's dealt with frightened critters before; why the sudden snap right now? Is it fear? Is it because she knows she's out of her element at this high-class event, and the only thing that kept her from panicking was the thought that at least the animals would love her? Does she feel like she's surrounded on all sides by horrible strangers, and even the creatures she loves have turned against her, so all that she can do is lash out like a cornered beast?

I was expecting her to befriend the groundskeeper, to be honest. Poor Fluttershy.

Also, poor Iron Hoof. It was good while it lasted, but now I think it's clear that Trollestia is the canon characterization of the Princess. Sure, Irbis pointed out that Equestria might not be run very well, but now the furthest we can take it is "Out-of-Touch Corrupt Aristocracy with Bored Figurehead." That doesn't run off the tongue so well, does it? Oh, well, at least the episode gave me Twilight spurning the obvious practical solution for one involving Horrific Mockeries Of God's Creation.
    Spoiler
    Show
    That's pretty much my idea of what happened this episode. Poor Fluttershy indeed.
    My anime review podcast is coming back after a one year hiatus! www.fivepointpodcast.com

13. - Top - End - #1453
    Ettin in the Playground

Okay. I finally did it. Chapter 2 of Misted Stage is up. It is the best and worst thing I have ever done and I need your help to drop the worst qualifier from it. So please critique.

In fact, if you critique either chapter of Misted Stage (I'll post a link to the first chapter once I'm done editing it) I'll give you a free critique of your fanfic, should it exist! Not that I charge anyway, but still. Free critique for a critique.

Sure:

Spoiler
    Show
    Here, have my hand. It's a fightin' hand!

Also you have the best sig and I love you for it.
    Last edited by Raz_Fox; 2011-05-07 at 07:46 PM.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    Raz, you scoundrel! You planned this!
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

14. - Top - End - #1454
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Noooooooo, I've gone through Hel and high water to try and ge you to be able to make the next thread. Don't abandon me now! *pleads*
    You have ten minutes.

Also, I was going to have mini-vote for next name, but I noticed every odd thread had 'thread' in title instead of descriptive name, and only one PM proposal fits that... and the characters I wanted in it fit... of course, if there will be better proposal after I start it, we can always change :P

Spoiler
    Show

>Click!<
    HW Ava © ETsofu

15. - Top - End - #1455
    Ogre in the Playground

Anyone know where I can find a copy of the scenario "In the Shadow of Celebration Castle"? I was mentioning it to a couple of my friends the other day and wondering where my own copy had gone to.

For anyone who doesn't know it, here's the opening:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The adventurers stepped through the Elysium portal into a land of strange wonder. A huge white castle dominated the area, surrounded by countless smaller keeps in an idyllic landscape of rolling hills. Water cascaded form numerous waterfalls into glass-like pools of water that looked cool and refreshing even from a distance. Flowers bloomed, and even the apparent paths were really just grass trails through the flowers. Large ponies in a rainbow of pastels wandered from keep to keep, singing happily.
    Thrak, the half-orc warrior walked up to one group of ponies and asked “What is this place?” The ponies turned to him and said simply “This is Ponyville.” “Who is the ruler here?” inquired Thrak. “I am the princess of Ponyville, Storybell,” said one pink pony.
    “I am the princess of Ponyville, Rainbow Dash,” said another.
    “I am the princess of Ponyville, Meadowbrook,” chimed in a third. “Are you here with our candy?”
    “How can you all be the princess?” Thrak was growing nervous as the confusing ponies began to surround him...
    “We are all princesses! Where is our candy? Maybe he is hiding it!” One of the ponies nipped at him.
    “I have no candy! Stay back!” Thrak shoved the pony away and fumbled for his axe.
    “He’ s hiding it!” exclaimed Meadowbrook, and nipped at Thrak again. The other ponies all joined in, nipping and biting. Thrak was helpless to resist as the ponies pushed him around and prevented him from reaching his axe. Blood began to flow and the ponies were nibbling on bits of dripping flesh as Thrak struggled. He turned to see where his companions had gone, but they all seemed to be mesmerized by the butterflies fluttering in the garden.

16. - Top - End - #1456
    Ogre in the Playground

Also, regarding episode:

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoilers
    Spoiler
    Show
    I knew the song structure was familiar! Hell, we actually did a performance of Into the Woods at my high school! I guess it's less obvious than Art of the Dress, but still . . . ::facehoof::

Well, at least they have good taste in musicals to pay homage to.
    Last edited by AlterForm; 2011-05-07 at 07:53 PM.

17. - Top - End - #1457
    Banned

Well heck, I've already lost then. It's been eleven minutes T.T

So is it actually possible for us to have a second thread, for discussion of episodes, that can be merged in days later? I am curious.

18. - Top - End - #1458
    Troll in the Playground

So is it actually possible for us to have a second thread, for discussion of episodes, that can be merged in days later? I am curious.
    Well, 14 more posts.

...I'll give you 5 minutes out of good heart, or you can wait about 10 hors. Your pick :P

Spoiler
    Show

>Click!<
    HW Ava © ETsofu

19. - Top - End - #1459
    Troll in the Playground

Well, we wouldn't need one until the fall, would we?

20. - Top - End - #1460
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, someone would have to ask the mods.

And I hope this thread says unlocked, like Thread IV, locks only cripple their value, IMHO.
    Above Us Only Sky

21. - Top - End - #1461
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by darthbobcat View Post
    Well, we wouldn't need one until the fall, would we?
    ...you had to stab us with the realization of this, didn't you? :P

And I'm not convinced they mean actual fall, might be TV/celestial fall.

Spoiler
    Show

>Click!<
    HW Ava © ETsofu

22. - Top - End - #1462
    Troll in the Playground

...you had to stab us with the realization of this, didn't you? :P

And I'm not convinced they mean actual fall, might be TV/celestial fall.
    Just saying. We have plenty of time to figure this out.

23. - Top - End - #1463
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Irbis View Post
    Well, someone would have to ask the mods.

And I hope this thread says unlocked, like Thread IV, locks only cripple their value, IMHO.
    They do indeed.
    Of course, there was a benefit- DBC won where I lost. Poor art of the thread...

24. - Top - End - #1464
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Irbis View Post
    I agree. Can we has no lock, mods? It will fall off first page on its own.

Spoiler
    Show

>Click!<
    HW Ava © ETsofu

25. - Top - End - #1465
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by darthbobcat View Post
    Just saying. We have plenty of time to figure this out.
    As in, 'more than we realize'?
    Above Us Only Sky

26. - Top - End - #1466

Sounds like more trouble than it'd be worth. Even aside from setting a potentially troublesome precedent of the mods doing what is normally a corrective action on a regular basis at the whims of the posters, there's too much logistical effort for too little gain.

First off, you'd have to ensure that spoilers really would be limited to the separate thread, which is not guaranteed at all. I can't see how legitimate main-thread activities (recent fan works, fan stories, fan theories, etc) would not touch on the latest episode in some way. I'd expect people who've seen the episode to accidentally post spoilers just like they're doing now (if they were that good at judging spoilers, they'd be using the tag already). The only way to keep the main thread spoiler-free would be to force everyone who's seen the episode to post in the spoiler thread, regardless of the actual content of their posts.

Then there's the unspoiled to consider. Let's assume that the spoiler thread works as intended, and all spoiler posts and replies to spoiler posts stay there. Well, you're going to have to merge eventually. When you do, you've just given the unspoiled a new backlog of posts to catch up on. Even before the merge, the unspoiled thread slows to a crawl as all the spoiled bronies migrate over to the spoiler thread. End result isn't that much different from having the unspoiled just avoid the thread altogether until they've seen the new episode.

Worse, even: Though I usually just stop reading when an episode hits and click the green arrow after I've seen it, sometimes I still want to read more posts. So, I just make a note of which page the spoilers started on, then go back to that page to catch up on the spoilers later. If you've just merged in a new thread, I won't know which page the spoilers start on. I'd have to watch the episode quickly enough to catch the spoiler thread before the merge to get the full discussion, and that doesn't always happen.

tl;dr, I can't see this happening.
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

27. - Top - End - #1467
    Ogre in the Playground

While we're posting to get to the new thread, would you mind putting Sunny Skies All Day Long in the OP?

28. - Top - End - #1468
    Troll in the Playground

Of course, there was a benefit- DBC won where I lost. Poor art of the thread...
    Care to elaborate?

Spoiler
    Show

>Click!<
    HW Ava © ETsofu

29. - Top - End - #1469

Care to elaborate?
    Yes, please do. We're like one post away from the last page by now, so it can only help. (Plus, I forgot what you're talking about, too, but it sounds interesting).
    Last edited by Mewtarthio; 2011-05-07 at 08:16 PM.

30. - Top - End - #1470
    Ogre in the Playground

First off, you'd have to ensure that spoilers really would be limited to the separate thread, which is not guaranteed at all. I can't see how legitimate main-thread activities (recent fan works, fan stories, fan theories, etc) would not touch on the latest episode in some way. I'd expect people who've seen the episode to accidentally post spoilers just like they're doing now (if they were that good at judging spoilers, they'd be using the tag already). The only way to keep the main thread spoiler-free would be to force everyone who's seen the episode to post in the spoiler thread, regardless of the actual content of their posts.
    It would save us from all these irritating and infuriating quips 'great ep!' outside of spoiler boxes, though.

Worse, even: Though I usually just stop reading when an episode hits and click the green arrow after I've seen it, sometimes I still want to read more posts. So, I just make a note of which page the spoilers started on, then go back to that page to catch up on the spoilers later. If you've just merged in a new thread, I won't know which page the spoilers start on. I'd have to watch the episode quickly enough to catch the spoiler thread before the merge to get the full discussion, and that doesn't always happen.
    5 days should be enough... and since you can append these as single glut in one fragment of the thread, the spoilers would have been condensed, making them easier to avoid.
    Above Us Only Sky