New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Thog's Alignment

I seriously cannot believe there's been five pages worth of debate on such a clear-cut issue.

Oh, little ice cream friends! Thog delay boredom-driven rampage only for you!
    to I pray every day to my dark fiendish overlords that he never finds out we're out of sprinkles.

Chaotic, yes. Evil, yes. End of story.

By the DnD rules, anyone with an Intelligence score high enough to take class levels is intelligent enough to have some moral outlook and qualify for an alignment other than TN.

Thog is CE, but some people don't want to admit it, because everyone loves Thog. I love Thog. He's a great character, he's easy to like, and he makes a great friend. He also murders people to pass the time between ice cream cones. He's evil, but in an endearing way.
    "Once upon a time, a story was never finished..."

2. - Top - End - #152
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisti View Post
    I seriously cannot believe there's been five pages worth of debate on such a clear-cut issue.

Oh, little ice cream friends! Thog delay boredom-driven rampage only for you!
    to I pray every day to my dark fiendish overlords that he never finds out we're out of sprinkles.

Chaotic, yes. Evil, yes. End of story.

By the DnD rules, anyone with an Intelligence score high enough to take class levels is intelligent enough to have some moral outlook and qualify for an alignment other than TN.

Thog is CE, but some people don't want to admit it, because everyone loves Thog. I love Thog. He's a great character, he's easy to like, and he makes a great friend. He also murders people to pass the time between ice cream cones. He's evil, but in an endearing way.
    However, it might be possible to have class levels without being sentient. Consider the following scenario:

Druid casts awaken on a dog.

The dog goes on some adventurers and levels up as a fighter (sentient animals can take class levels).

The awaken effect is broken by a wizard casting Break Enchantment. Does the dog retain it's class levels?

Anyways, Thog is CE.
    In Dungeons and Dragons, racism is frowned upon, unless you're playing an elf. Then it's an interesting character trait.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Great, my argument just got ruined by a gag.

You can forget most of my posts in this thread then.
    People have been pointing those events and that comic out for the last four pages.
    J. Altum

4. - Top - End - #154
    Barbarian in the Playground

Sure he has the mind of a child but aren't kids basically immature sociopaths that can't wield axes with the same skill as Thog?

Being evil doesn't stop him from being lovably cute and crazy since this is just a comic. Yes and he's definitely chaotic. Oots is like a manual for keeping a party with CE PC's functional.
    Last edited by Ormur; 2009-07-29 at 08:55 PM.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Dwarf in the Playground

spargel's argument seems to hinge on the claim that Thog has the intelligence of an infant (as opposed to a child), which is a claim I find fairly dubious. He's clearly behind the purely instinctual meeting of basic needs that drives the thinking of a literal infant. He's capable of exercising choice and agency, able to improvise, and, more surprisingly, able to remember and execute his role in Nale's various needlessly complicated plans (not to mention Elan's plan to get onto an airship).

He's dumb, no doubt. But he's not shown to be quite that dumb. Which is a fairly important distinction to make, apparently.

Also, interestingly, one of the first things he does mention once he reunites with Nale, and well before any mention of ice cream, is killing.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Personally, I like to compare Thog to Buu. Yes he enjoys slaughtering people for fun, but seriously if someone sat down with him for five minutes, explained to him that killing people was wrong, and then gave him an ice cream cone, that would be the end of it.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bookworm702 View Post
    Personally, I like to compare Thog to Buu. Yes he enjoys slaughtering people for fun, but seriously if someone sat down with him for five minutes, explained to him that killing people was wrong, and then gave him an ice cream cone, that would be the end of it.
    I don't believe it. If someone told Thog that killing is wrong, he would kill that person. And then eat ice creams.

8. - Top - End - #158

MindFlayer

Err.. when that happened to Buu he split into two people, one even more evil than the original, who ate him.

Seriously, what? Thog is a normal, Chaotic Evil, stupid orc. The end...

9. - Top - End - #159

DwarfClericGuy

I thought Thog was a half-orc.

10. - Top - End - #160

Quote Originally Posted by Jaltum View Post
    People have been pointing those events and that comic out for the last four pages.
    No one posted that strip for most of those pages.

11. - Top - End - #161

WolfInSheepsClothing

Assassin
    Hit Die

d6.

Requirements

To qualify to become an assassin, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.

Alignment :Any evil.

Skills: Disguise 4 ranks, Hide 8 ranks, Move Silently 8 ranks.

12. - Top - End - #162

DwarfClericGuy

How is that relevant?

Off Topic: I fixed my avatar!
    Last edited by Watcher; 2009-08-05 at 10:48 PM.

13. - Top - End - #163

Um ... so? Thog's a barbarian/fighter. The only assassin we've seen is Crystal, and I don't see anyone arguing that she's not Evil.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bibliomancer View Post
    However, it might be possible to have class levels without being sentient. Consider the following scenario:

Druid casts awaken on a dog.

The dog goes on some adventurers and levels up as a fighter (sentient animals can take class levels).

The awaken effect is broken by a wizard casting Break Enchantment. Does the dog retain it's class levels?

Anyways, Thog is CE.
    According to the rules as written, yes, it does. Our party did that once--to a rhinocerous. It took levels of Barbarian, with two levels of fighter (just like Thog, actually...), then he turned it back into an animal so he could use Animal Empathy to have it follow him and protect him. That was a weird game...

Quote Originally Posted by Bookworm702 View Post
    Not likely. If Thog liked that person, he'd say, "Thog agrees. Now Thog and all Thog friends go out for ice cream! Yay!" Then five minutes after that, he gets angry/bored/hungry/etc., then forgets the whole "Killing is wrong" thing and kills someone, preferably whoever is responsible for his becoming angry/bored/hungry/etc., but anyone nearby will do. Thog kills people, not because he doesn't know better, but because he feels like it.
    Last edited by Kallisti; 2009-08-05 at 10:57 PM.
    "Once upon a time, a story was never finished..."

15. - Top - End - #165
    Pixie in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Thog is Evil, but I think that he's only Evil because Nale is Evil, and Thog always obeys Nale. Thog is simply easy to influence. Remember that Thog killed nobody while he was escaping prison with Elan.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Troll in the Playground

Um, he almost killed Haley. Going out of his way to do so.

Also, thread necromancy for the win
    Come one, come all! GitP MLP Steam Group is open!
    Current location of the last MLP Thread OP, too.
    Want to ask me something? Use MAIL or message me on Steam!

Spoiler
    Show

>Click!<
    Amazing Art by Dirtytabs :P
    HW Ava © ETsofu

"Well, the Great and Powerful Trixie can't actually transport you to Equestria... But!
    The Great and Powerful Trixie can beat you over the head until you think that's what happened!"

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ogre in the Playground

Thog is more evil then Belkar, as Belkar makes some effort to have control over himself, while Thog just gives in to his impulses. And Thog is evil on a broader scale then Belkar, as Belkar's acts, while atrocious, are not actually all that common.
    Nadir We,
    Youth Born,
    Blood Letters,
    Axe Weilders,
    Victors Still.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ettin in the Playground

Seriously, why people don't read what they fellow playgrounders have written?

I mean, how many times someone can come up with:

"Thog's not evil, he just obeys Nale"?

It's getting a bit boring.
    The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing;
    Rush in and die, dogs—I was a man before I was a king.

Whoever makes shoddy beer, shall be thrown into manure - town law from Gdańsk, XIth century.

19. - Top - End - #169

Quote Originally Posted by Spiryt View Post
    Seriously, why people don't read what they fellow playgrounders have written?

I mean, how many times someone can come up with:

"Thog's not evil, he just obeys Nale"?

It's getting a bit boring.
    What about the "Thog is insane" argument?

20. - Top - End - #170
    Colossus in the Playground

Completely lacking in textual support, other than that it's unassailable.

21. - Top - End - #171

Quote Originally Posted by Herald Alberich View Post
    Um ... so? Thog's a barbarian/fighter. The only assassin we've seen is Crystal, and I don't see anyone arguing that she's not Evil.
    She's actually a Lawful Good Rogue/Paladin/Avenger. And in love with Haley. And it totally makes sense
    Last edited by Murdim; 2009-09-01 at 08:47 AM.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Murdim View Post
    She's actually a Lawful Good Rogue/Paladin/Avenger. And in love with Haley. And it totally makes sense
    The Crack Pairings thread is two doors down, you know. Across the fiery pit of squishy entangling doom.
    *Above post: Additional terms and restrictions may apply.
    My old OotS fanart
    My art on Instagram

23. - Top - End - #173
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Minion992929 View Post
    Thog is more evil then Belkar, as Belkar makes some effort to have control over himself, while Thog just gives in to his impulses. And Thog is evil on a broader scale then Belkar, as Belkar's acts, while atrocious, are not actually all that common.
    Broader perhaps, but also shallower - Belkar murders of his own volition, but Thog only does so on Nale's command.

DCF Bonus Strip:
    Spoiler
    Show
    When placed in a Zone of Truth, Thog attributes 178 murders (plus the Earth Sylph) to Nale's direction.

He fails his will save so badly that he moves on from the question he was asked and ends up telling the guards several embarrassing details about his life; to me, this indicates that the Nale-inspired killings were the only ones he's done.

I still think he's evil, but more evil than Belkar is quite a stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaytara View Post
    The Crack Pairings thread is two doors down, you know. Across the fiery pit of squishy entangling doom.
    Bring eye bleach!

24. - Top - End - #174
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Optimystik View Post
    Broader perhaps, but also shallower - Belkar murders of his own volition, but Thog only does so on Nale's command.

DCF Bonus Strip:
    Spoiler
    Show
    When placed in a Zone of Truth, Thog attributes 178 murders (plus the Earth Sylph) to Nale's direction.

I still think he's evil, but more evil than Belkar is quite a stretch.
    And then, he committed further 417 here. That's ~600 kills, order of magnitude more than Belkar (even counting the SSGoW incident)
    Come one, come all! GitP MLP Steam Group is open!
    Current location of the last MLP Thread OP, too.
    Want to ask me something? Use MAIL or message me on Steam!

Spoiler
    Show

>Click!<
    Amazing Art by Dirtytabs :P
    HW Ava © ETsofu

"Well, the Great and Powerful Trixie can't actually transport you to Equestria... But!
    The Great and Powerful Trixie can beat you over the head until you think that's what happened!"

25. - Top - End - #175

You're seriously suggesting that Belkar hasn't killed 600 innocent people in his life?

26. - Top - End - #176

We have no idea how many- there were the people in the bar, referred to in Origin, the barbarians, the prison guard, and Solt Lykyurg the gnome. But aside from those, we don't know.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

27. - Top - End - #177
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    And then, he committed further 417 here. That's ~600 kills, order of magnitude more than Belkar (even counting the SSGoW incident)
    Those were also all at Nale's direction, as they were all part of his plan.

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    We have no idea how many- there were the people in the bar, referred to in Origin, the barbarians, the prison guard, and Solt Lykyurg the gnome. But aside from those, we don't know.
    His nickname in Celestia - "Death's 'lil helper" - indicates he's been quite busy at it.

And if Thog is so close to Belkar on the evil scale, why isn't Celestia tracking him?

28. - Top - End - #178

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Completely lacking in textual support, other than that it's unassailable.
    Other than the way he acts throughout the entire comic?

29. - Top - End - #179
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by spargel View Post
    Other than the way he acts throughout the entire comic?
    He's not insane. Childish, perhaps, but he's certainly aware of what he's doing and what's going on around him. His "not-nale" speech confirmed that.

30. - Top - End - #180

Quote Originally Posted by Optimystik View Post
    He's not insane. Childish, perhaps, but he's certainly aware of what he's doing and what's going on around him. His "not-nale" speech confirmed that.
    Mentally retarded then? He could probably try an insanity defense and succeed.

I don't even think his not-nale speech makes any sense.
    Last edited by spargel; 2009-09-01 at 01:33 PM.