New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Fighter Dueling without a shield

What's the best way to optimize a fighter with the dueling fighting style And he's not wearing any shield?

How can the fighter compensate for not having a shield (+2 ac) on his offhand?

Can he use bonus actions to punch, or grapple his opppnents (taverb brawler). Can he hove opponent with bonus action in offhand?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Re: Fighter Dueling without a shield

You can still push/pull/shove/grapple with that off hand.
    MCing any caster except Eldritch Knight means using that hand for casting, as well.
    (for some reason, EKs get their weapon as a Focus, unlike say, BladeLock, Paladin, Cleric and Spellsinger)
    "If it's just Dailies done, they'll press on; Fighter cussing monsters, Ranger and Rogue cussing Fighter, and the Cleric cussing everyone. They're only down to about 70% HAIR (hard a** indicative rating) anyway, and probably have yet to run across any sand-paper"

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSarathai View Post
    MCing any caster except Eldritch Knight means using that hand for casting, as well.
    (for some reason, EKs get their weapon as a Focus, unlike say, BladeLock, Paladin, Cleric and Spellsinger)
    Do u need to get the tavern brawler feat to grapple with that offhand?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

With tavern brawler, say you have 2 attacks at 5th level

you can swing your sword as 1 attack

you can then punch for 1d4+1 and then gain a bonus action to grapple

but to gain that bonus action you must hit that creature with an unarmed strike or improvised weapon (melee)

So if you had 1 attack, that attack would need to be made unarmed or with an improvised weapon.... but as a DM I would allow you to grapple as bonus action even if you used a rapier instead of an improvised weapon

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by djreynolds View Post
    With tavern brawler, say you have 2 attacks at 5th level

you can swing your sword as 1 attack

you can then punch for 1d4+1 and then gain a bonus action to grapple

but to gain that bonus action you must hit that creature with an unarmed strike or improvised weapon (melee)

So if you had 1 attack, that attack would need to be made unarmed or with an improvised weapon.... but as a DM I would allow you to grapple as bonus action even if you used a rapier instead of an improvised weapon
    I'm afb, but is there a rule for unarmed "dualwielding"?
    I figure one could count the unarmed strike as the dual wield bonus attack, and you could use that attack (bonus) action for a grapple instead of the 1 damage... Am i overlooking something?
    "Can i touch myself before talking to that guy?"
    "..."
    "I mean can i cast a touch spell on myself..."
    "It's both possible, but one would probably lead to a bad outcome."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quoxis View Post
    I figure one could count the unarmed strike as the dual wield bonus attack, and you could use that attack (bonus) action for a grapple instead of the 1 damage... Am i overlooking something?
    The extra attack feature allows you to attack twice on your turn and with duel wielding two light weapons you get a 3rd attack with that off hand as a bonus action.

But with tavern brawler and the extra attack feature, he could swing with a sword in his right hand and punch with his left hand and then bonus action grapple, or he could punch with his left hand, bonus action grapple and then stab with his sword

I think, most of us assume all attacks of an 11th level fighter have to come from the main hand and the bonus action is only for the off hand, but there is nothing that says an 11th level fighter who has 3 attacks cannot main hand, off-hand, main hand, bonus action off hand
    Last edited by djreynolds; 2017-05-26 at 03:12 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Creyzi4j View Post
    What's the best way to optimize a fighter with the dueling fighting style And he's not wearing any shield?

Can he use bonus actions to punch, or grapple his opppnents (taverb brawler). Can he hove opponent with bonus action in offhand?
    Tavern Brawler is the obvious one, but you could just take the Brawny feat from UA for expertise in athletics and then replace one attack actual with a Grapple/Shove action to really lock down an opponent. Prone + Grapple really sucks for the person on the receiving end. Then you just slash away as they feebly try to beat your superb athletics checks.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Saiga View Post
    Tavern Brawler is the obvious one, but you could just take the Brawny feat from UA for expertise in athletics and then replace one attack actual with a Grapple/Shove action to really lock down an opponent. Prone + Grapple really sucks for the person on the receiving end. Then you just slash away as they feebly try to beat your superb athletics checks.
    This. Or just take a rogue level.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Where is their weapon listed as a focus? It isn't in the archetype description.

10. - Top - End - #10

MindFlayer

I'm almost 100% certain that's not true. Do you have a reference from the PHB that supports this? As I read it, Eldritch Knights (and Arcane Tricksters for that matter) aren't even allowed to use a spellcasting focus, since it's not mentioned at all in their spellcasting rules (like it is for Wizard, for example).

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rooneg View Post
    I'm almost 100% certain that's not true. Do you have a reference from the PHB that supports this? As I read it, Eldritch Knights (and Arcane Tricksters for that matter) aren't even allowed to use a spellcasting focus, since it's not mentioned at all in their spellcasting rules (like it is for Wizard, for example).
    That is correct, there is nothing in the PhB saying that the weapon is a focus. The EK gets to bond with their weapon, but it's still not a focus.

In the Arcane Focus section under equipment it specified Sorcerer, Warlock, and Wizard only.

Arcane Focus. An arcane focus is a special item— an orb, a crystal, a rod, a specially constructed staff, a wand-like length o f wood, or some similar item— designed to channel the power of arcane spells. A sorcerer, warlock, or w izard can use such an item as a spellcasting focus, as described in chapter 10.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

ClericGuy

Grappler would work wonders, you always have a free hand to grapple, and you are likely to be good at it. Tavern brawler isn't that necessary, you lose some damage but it's not that big of a deal. Then, you will have to praise your DM for a scimitar of speed ;-P

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Quoxis View Post
    Nope.
    You need one level of Monk for Martial Arts., and then be wielding a Monk weapon, in order to do this.
    TWF specifically applies to weapons, not unarmed.
    If you quote me and ask me questions,
    and I continue to not respond,
    it's probably because I have
    you on my Ignore list.
    Congratulations.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Creyzi4j View Post

You could do it with tavern brawler and an offhand attack, but honestly I would just use the same hand and just hit them with the pommel of your weapon to do the improvised attack.

If you want to go this rout you will need 3 things:

1. Multiple attacks, which fighter gets easily.

2. Expertise in Athletics and the strength to back it up. Can be done with a feat and just using a STR based weapon and not a finesse property build.

3. Advantage in Athletics is also very nice, which you can get with 1 level or Barbarian to rage with.

You could go Barbarian 1/Fighter X and keep it simple, or Barbarian 3 Battlerager / Fighter X to get even more grappley goodness.