New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Wall of the Faithless(FR)

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    No one said you have to talk to them, you just have to live in the same neighborhood.
    For all of eternity. Guess im gonna grow a REALLY obnoxious tree that will drop its seeds all over THAT guys lawn
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ettin in the Playground

BlackDragon

Get together all the epic petitioners in the neighborhood association to protest the eyesore that the wailing wall of despair is and demand it be taken down (it blocks the view of Celestia, it makes too much noise at night, it was put there without consulting the onetime mortal members of the association)
    Handbook in Process:Getting the Facts Straight: A Guide to the Factotum

Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Singular Band: There can be only one
    Khayal: A monster class worth playing

Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    Player: I'll use a classic ploy. "Help! Guards! He's having a seizure!"
    DM: You're the only one in the prison.
    Player: I'm very convincing.
    DM: And there are no guards.
    Player: But there's masonry.
    DM: It's not even animate, let alone sentient.
    Player: That's ok. I'll take the penalty.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    The Wall was primarily intended as a way to say "players must pick a deity in this setting" and answer the obvious follow-up question of "well, what happens to the people that don't?" I would wager that in modern Faerun relatively few people get saddled with that fate. I doubt Greenwood et al. really thought through the implications of such a construct when paired with such obviously petty or foolish deities.
    Well, obviously. No writer wants to intentionally create that sort of problem in their body of work. Or so we'd hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    Be fair. Kelemvor's first act as the God of the Dead was to tear down the wall and re-judge the dead within it, and he abolished the Wall of the Faithless for a time. Then Ao forced him to re-make it at gunpoint and has enforced its existence since. Kelemvor despises that wall.
    Which says something about Greenwood, et al., I suppose. What it says, I don't know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

Get together all the epic petitioners in the neighborhood association to protest the eyesore that the wailing wall of despair is and demand it be taken down (it blocks the view of Celestia, it makes too much noise at night, it was put there without consulting the onetime mortal members of the association)
    Make sure you get that Mr Kelemvor's signature, i hear hes a bit of a big shot
    Show

5. - Top - End - #65
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kalasulmar View Post
    It seems to me that the main problem most of the people posting in this thread have against the afterlife in a fantasy world is that it doesn't line up with their "modern" view on religion. In a world created and controlled by gods, telling them to go take a hike has tangible consequences. Not so much in the world we live in. We don't have contact with dead souls to give us answers about the afterlife. For us it is purely faith that gets us through. Religious types have faith that they have chosen the "true path" and will be rewarded for it with whatever their god deems is a worthy afterlife. Atheists have faith that their science proves that they don't have to worry about eternal consequences of their actions in this life. They think they will just be dead and gone. In Faerun, you know who runs the show and what the stakes are. Ignore the rules of the game and you will lose your soul.

The "R" in rpg stands for role, so play the role in that game. You really aren't committing yourself to a certain religious ideology by having your character tithe to a fantasy religion, no more than all of the theft and murder you all enjoy so much in these games will condemn you to a real prison.
    Okay, first of all this is baiting a bad conversation and is very close to insinuating that anyone who dislikes the wall is just unable to reconcile it with their real-life beliefs or something.

Secondly, atheists don't have 'faith' in 'science'. Just...don't go there. Just do not.

In Faerun, none of the gods are worthy of worship because they all explicitly put their personal power over the wellbeing of the countless mortals in their care. They literally had to be scolded by Big Daddy Ao over it. Why SHOULD you worship them? Belief in a deity does not automatically justify worshipping them, that's why misotheism exists.

Finally, your last paragraph ignores the complaint raised that the Wall of the Faithless LIMITS roleplaying. No one can be a sort of Buddhist/Taoist-y sort of "philosophical" cleric. Literally everyone in the setting has to pick a god or suffer horribly for it. It explicitly tells all of these characters that they might as well play because they're not going to matter.

The Wall of the Faithless also basically means there's no truly Good gods. What do the saints and the truly pure hearted do, then? Who should they worship? What about the people who, like Kelemvor, want justice in death? The world of possible characters is smaller. The roleplaying options are smaller. The range of meaningful choices for character ideology are smaller. And it paints Ao, a True Neutral entity, as basically taking the side of Evil, because the 'Good' gods are the only ones who really lose out in this set up.

6. - Top - End - #66

I could have sworn reading somewhere that there was a patron god of atheists somewhere in faerun's portfolio (Which would make the wall worthless).

The Wall of the Faithless also basically means there's no truly Good gods.
    Or it means the good gods can't do anything about it. D&D has always justified "How can Good stand for this?" By making the evil stronger.

Finally, your last paragraph ignores the complaint raised that the Wall of the Faithless LIMITS roleplaying. No one can be a sort of Buddhist/Taoist-y sort of "philosophical" cleric.
    Except nothing stops you from doing exactly that.

It explicitly tells all of these characters that they might as well play because they're not going to matter.
    Really? Because that stance requires you to take the position that the only thing that matters about a character is what happens after they die (which is usually the end of a character's career as an adventurer).
    Last edited by Anlashok; 2014-07-06 at 03:25 PM.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anlashok View Post
    Really? Because that stance requires you to take the position that the only thing that matters about a character is what happens after they die (which is usually the end of a character's career as an adventurer).
    Would YOU want a character you've played for months to be turned into torture plaster when he dies? I certainly dont, i want my character to have a nice afterlife (or a horrible one if i was evil)

Personally im with Kelemvor on this, lets get our god-tier sledge hammers and get our Berlin on!!
    Last edited by Blackhawk748; 2014-07-06 at 03:30 PM.
    Show

8. - Top - End - #68
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I could have sworn reading somewhere that there was a patron god of atheists somewhere in faerun's portfolio (Which would make the wall worthless).

Or it means the good gods can't do anything about it. D&D has always justified "How can Good stand for this?" By making the evil stronger.

Okay I'm curious. Do you actually believe that last bit?
    Most people see a half orc and and think barbarian warrior. Me on the other hand? I think secondary trap handler and magic item tester. Also I'm not allowed to trick the next level one wizard into starting a fist fight with a house cat no matter how annoying he is.
    Yes I know it's sarcasm. It's a joke. Pale green is for snarking
    Thread wins: 2

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ettin in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk748 View Post
    Would YOU want a character you've played for months to be turned into torture plaster when he dies? I certainly dont, i want my character to have a nice afterlife (or a horrible one if i was evil)

Personally im with Kelemvor on this, lets get our god-tier sledge hammers and get our Berlin on!!

Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #70

Quote Originally Posted by ryu View Post
    Okay I'm curious. Do you actually believe that last bit?
    In hindsight I phrased it wrong.

By the time a character is going to the afterlife for realsies, their adventure is (probably) over.

Of course I wouldn't like it, but that doesn't mean I disagree with the idea that my character doesn't matter at all if he does end up that way somehow.

But again, coulda sworn Oghma was the patron god of atheists.
    Last edited by Anlashok; 2014-07-06 at 03:36 PM.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ettin in the Playground

BlackDragon

The wall is actually evidence warblades don't exist in the realms, or at least no faithless warblades. Moment one found themself in the wall they'd IHS it away

Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

Im totally sig quoting this

The wall is actually evidence warblades don't exist in the realms, or at least no faithless warblades. Moment one found themself in the wall they'd IHS it away
    I thought they'd just Ancient Mountain Hammer it for a few hours, much more satisfying.
    Last edited by Blackhawk748; 2014-07-06 at 03:39 PM.
    Show

13. - Top - End - #73

Quote Originally Posted by AuraTwilight View Post
    Because it's basically evil? It requires a huge pretzel of logic to get the good-aligned gods to go along with it and it's not really justifiable. It exists to scare mortals into picking any faith, which the gods of Faerun only care about because they need faith to survive, which is only true because Ao had to punish them for abusing mortals and neglecting their followers.

Essentially, the Wall of the Faithless is a cosmic testament to the irresponsible and terrible passing the buck of their punishment to the helpless, powerless masses. It's the greatest Injustice conceivable.
    Pretty much this, yes. It basically strips most of the FR gods of any sympathy one might have had for them.
    Avatar made by Strawberries! Grazie paesà!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Beer View Post
    You win the worst GM thread BTW.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyzzyva View Post
    From a different thread, even!.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ettin in the Playground

BlackDragon

Im totally sig quoting this
    Please do! :D Don't think I've been sig-quoted yet so it is a ticklesome delight.

I thought they'd just Ancient Mountain Hammer it for a few hours, much more satisfying.
    Well yes, but you'd hurt the other souls in the process. Best to just go "mmm nope!" and make the grout and mold vanish.

though perhaps the reason is that maybe souls of dead warblades IHS their dead condition away.

Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

Please do! :D Don't think I've been sig-quoted yet so it is a ticklesome delight.

Well yes, but you'd hurt the other souls in the process. Best to just go "mmm nope!" and make the grout and mold vanish.

though perhaps the reason is that maybe souls of dead warblades IHS their dead condition away.
    I remember the first time i got sig quoted, it actually happened two different times on the same day.

and have we just got a case for immortal warblades?
    Show

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

Well, being Dead doesn't bar you from taking actions, so . . .
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

17. - Top - End - #77
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    No one said you have to talk to them, you just have to live in the same neighborhood.
    Given that the vast majority of those neighborhoods tend to be divinely morphic, not to mention surrounding you with the pro-deity folks, eternity could get awkward after awhile

Which is another thing I dislike about FR's afterlife. In Greyhawk, the gods and other major players merely inhabit this or that corner of {insert Outer Plane here.} It's possible (and likely preferable, if you are one of the "worship a philosophy" types) to find a patch of plane that is between jurisdictions and spend eternity mostly unmeddled with. Pelor, for instance, does not hold sway over the length and breadth of Elysium - rather, he lives in one particular part of it known as the Fortress of the Sun.

In FR, the afterlife destinations are literally named for the deities in charge of them - if you are sent to the House of the Triad, you are subject to those three deities at every turn. If you are assigned to the Demonweb Pits, you are under the sole jurisdiction of one.

Nothing except undermining your choice by forcibly giving you a deity anyway, or nailing you to the Wall if their eHarmony service is on the fritz.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    Well, being Dead doesn't bar you from taking actions, so . . .
    Off-topic but I've seen this meme a lot; what people forget is that by RAW you can't be dead without being unconscious, which does block the majority of them.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2014-07-06 at 04:35 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

18. - Top - End - #78

This would be a valid point if the Good Gods weren't JUST as guilty in Ao's original decree that started this whole mess, and if the Good Gods werent' JUST as angry as everyone else at Kelemvor for trying to take down the Wall once.

This is an issue the gods, good and evil, are more or less agreed upon. The Good gods try to morally justify this unambiguously evil thing because to actually take Good to its logical conclusion means the Good Gods have to inconvenience themselves, and that's something none of them are willing to do.

Yes, if they actually did that, they'd weaken and Evil would become stronger, but that's ALL THE MORE REASON they, and the neutral gods, should be petitioning Ao about this. He's truly neutral, and his decisions are giving evil an unfair advantage in the FR universe. That's bull.

19. - Top - End - #79

Off-topic but I've seen this meme a lot; what people forget is that by RAW you can't be dead without being unconscious, which does block the majority of them.
    Though in this case, couldn't the spirit trapped on the wall just use the surge regardless of their (now dead) mortal body's state?
    Adaptation of Child of Acavna and Amaznen into a "Spheres Fighter"
    Thank you Ganorenas

Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    An Animated Object is a kind of creature. An animated object is a kind of item. So no, you can't apply a template. Unless you were to use animate objects to animate objects into Animated Objects and somehow apply templates while using animate objects to turn animate objects into Animate Objects for your Animated animated Object collection (or perhaps for a friend to watch anime with).

20. - Top - End - #80
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Maynot View Post
    Though in this case, couldn't the spirit trapped on the wall just use the surge regardless of their (now dead) mortal body's state?
    Nope - you become a petitioner during the judging process, which strips your class features away and leaves you as a 1 HD outsider.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

21. - Top - End - #81

Nope - you become a petitioner during the judging process, which strips your class features away and leaves you as a 1 HD outsider.
    Well, ain't that is a fate worse than death... Oh wait.
    Adaptation of Child of Acavna and Amaznen into a "Spheres Fighter"
    Thank you Ganorenas

Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    An Animated Object is a kind of creature. An animated object is a kind of item. So no, you can't apply a template. Unless you were to use animate objects to animate objects into Animated Objects and somehow apply templates while using animate objects to turn animate objects into Animate Objects for your Animated animated Object collection (or perhaps for a friend to watch anime with).

22. - Top - End - #82
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Just iron heart surge the judging process then.
    Most people see a half orc and and think barbarian warrior. Me on the other hand? I think secondary trap handler and magic item tester. Also I'm not allowed to trick the next level one wizard into starting a fist fight with a house cat no matter how annoying he is.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

Meh, nothing a good Iron Heart Surge or two can't solve. Also, they have 2 HD.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

(which is usually the end of a character's career as an adventurer).
    Well, that would be almost ok, if it didn't require a Miracle or Wish to bring you back, and have you indebted to a deity for interceding onyour behalf.
    Copy this to your signature if you love Jade_Tarem, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Anchovies View Post
    A 20th-level fighter should be able to break rainbows in half with their bare hands and then dual-wield the parts of the rainbow.

Dual-wield the rainbow. Taste the rainbow.

25. - Top - End - #85

Nothing except undermining your choice by forcibly giving you a deity anyway, or nailing you to the Wall if their eHarmony service is on the fritz.
    Which, again, aren't really relevant to your state as an adventurer. Yeah, having a ****ty afterlife sucks. Yeah, I think it's stupid fluff and doesn't make any sense (especially given that Ao enforces it even though it should undermine Ao's position on worship)... I just don't think it "wrecks" atheistic adventurers.

26. - Top - End - #86

Which, again, aren't really relevant to your state as an adventurer. Yeah, having a ****ty afterlife sucks. Yeah, I think it's stupid fluff and doesn't make any sense (especially given that Ao enforces it even though it should undermine Ao's position on worship)... I just don't think it "wrecks" atheistic adventurers.
    You're forgetting that FR, as a setting, is basically a stage for the myths of this cosmology. For gods to take actions and have conflicts and for mortals to be their representatives. In such a setting, not only do atheist adventurers have nothing to show for their accomplishments, but they'll never really be acknowledged for them, and they will either be overridden by the next group of theistic representatives or taken credit for.

The afterlife for atheists and faithless in FR is basically a symptom of the problem that really, only the gods and high-level NPCs in Faerun matter. Everyone else has to either suck up and/or cooperate with them or basically get erased from the history books.

Also, from an in-character perspective, why should I adventure and risk my one lifetime if I'm utterly boned if something happens to me? Only people who believe in a god would have the courage to risk their lives, surely, else the adventurer is a foolhardy idiot. Again, limiting roleplaying options.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by AuraTwilight View Post
    You're forgetting that FR, as a setting, is basically a stage for the myths of this cosmology. For gods to take actions and have conflicts and for mortals to be their representatives. In such a setting, not only do atheist adventurers have nothing to show for their accomplishments, but they'll never really be acknowledged for them, and they will either be overridden by the next group of theistic representatives or taken credit for.

The afterlife for atheists and faithless in FR is basically a symptom of the problem that really, only the gods and high-level NPCs in Faerun matter. Everyone else has to either suck up and/or cooperate with them or basically get erased from the history books.

Also, from an in-character perspective, why should I adventure and risk my one lifetime if I'm utterly boned if something happens to me? Only people who believe in a god would have the courage to risk their lives, surely, else the adventurer is a foolhardy idiot. Again, limiting roleplaying options.
    Obtain enough resources for the eternal life method of you're choice? Otherwise you get to enjoy a rather fatalistic and miserable waiting game for the rest of your life.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Svata View Post
    Well, that would be almost ok, if it didn't require a Miracle or Wish to bring you back, and have you indebted to a deity for interceding onyour behalf.
    How does the casting of an arcane spell (wish) cause the faithless to be indebted to a god?

Did I imagine it, or does the wall of the faithless also serve the purpose of keeping the horrors of the far realm out?

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ettin in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    How does the casting of an arcane spell (wish) cause the faithless to be indebted to a god?

Did I imagine it, or does the wall of the faithless also serve the purpose of keeping the horrors of the far realm out?
    Imagine it. Though nice fluff. a lesser of two evils sorta deal

Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #90

Because even the Wish version of "Get this dude out of the Wall" require's divine intervention.

And all Arcane magic comes from atleast one god anyway. Gods do EVERYTHING in Faerun.