New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Can any spell hurt it?

So I have a problem, albiet a self-imposed one.

One day I decided to make a CR 45 monster. Now I'm trying to make a character that can kill it, and have run into a problem: I can't find any spells that can do it meaningful damage, if any damage at all.
    Here's why:
    -It is Immune to Polymorph, Mind-affecting, Fire, Poison, Disease, Energy Drain, Ability Damage, Sleep, Paralysis, Cold
    -It reflects all spells that are Rays, Lines, Cones, or Magic-Missiles
    -It reflects all spells that target it specifically (as Spell Turning, but permanent)
    -It has Spell Resistance 385
    -It has Lightning and Acid Resist 105
    -It has the following saves: Fort 69, Ref 55, Will 36

Are there any spells that can directly damage/kill it? I've flipped through quite a few books to no avail. I realize it could easily be killed by a mob of angry summoned Solars or an angry horde of Allips, but that's not what I'm looking to do. Assume the caster trying to kill it has a base caster level of 50.

Can any spell hurt it?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Can any spell hurt it?

Quote Originally Posted by Avicenex View Post
    So I have a problem, albiet a self-imposed one.

One day I decided to make a CR 45 monster. Now I'm trying to make a character that can kill it, and have run into a problem: I can't find any spells that can do it meaningful damage, if any damage at all.
    Here's why:
    -It is Immune to Polymorph, Mind-affecting, Fire, Poison, Disease, Energy Drain, Ability Damage, Sleep, Paralysis, Cold
    -It reflects all spells that are Rays, Lines, Cones, or Magic-Missiles
    -It reflects all spells that target it specifically (as Spell Turning, but permanent)
    -It has Spell Resistance 385
    -It has Lightning and Acid Resist 105
    -It has the following saves: Fort 69, Ref 55, Will 36

Are there any spells that can directly damage/kill it? I've flipped through quite a few books to no avail. I realize it could easily be killed by a mob of angry summoned Solars or an angry horde of Allips, but that's not what I'm looking to do. Assume the caster trying to kill it has a base caster level of 50.

Can any spell hurt it?
    I think you can chuck a sonic orb at it (Spell Compendium)

Edit: I looked up the spell, it is Orb of Sound. 15d4 damage. You said hurt it, not kill it :-)
    Last edited by ken-do-nim; 2007-02-12 at 10:28 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Gate to the elemental plane of fire under it?
    Thanks to zegma for my awesome avatar.
    Proudly the founder of the Mr. Scruffy fanclub.
    We will not let Nessie down! http://www.petitiononline.com/PLEAOSAR/
    My DMs' Guild Stuff

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Epic spell casting always wins
    Without going into details you can get a ludicrous amount of solars to help you fuel a single spell to kill it (see: How to animate a planet)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

Epic AoE spell that dosent allow spell resistance.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by mikeejimbo View Post
    Gate to the elemental plane of fire under it?
    He said immune to fire.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Rigeld2 all damage does allow spell resistance from seeds, you can add +2 to the DC to gain a +1 CL for overcoming SR.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ken-do-nim View Post
    He said immune to fire.
    Ah, I see. I was thinking it just had the lightning/acid resistance.

Well, plane of water then. Drown it.
    Thanks to zegma for my awesome avatar.
    Proudly the founder of the Mr. Scruffy fanclub.
    We will not let Nessie down! http://www.petitiononline.com/PLEAOSAR/
    My DMs' Guild Stuff

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

Assuming no Epic Spellcasting (which can do anything you want, more or less), you could conjure up a Wall of Iron and push it onto the monster.

What? You only said "directly damage/kill it," and I don't see any DR there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

10. - Top - End - #10

Find the Tarrasque and several giant black dragons. Make the Tarrasque twice as big. Put them all in one place and collapse the ground under them.

Yes, it's not a spell, but it's all I could think of.
    Last edited by J_Muller; 2007-02-12 at 10:32 PM.
    <Rexatar
    Spoiler
    Show

Fiscal Mereor, by NecroPaladin.

Spoiler
    Show

Kyrian, describing my very own Fourth Empire...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyrian View Post
    ...god damned moron organizations full of morons...

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Tormsskull View Post
    Even better. Boy from Turkey and girl from UK wake up in Vegas married to one another. We'll call it Dude, Where's My Country?

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    Assuming no Epic Spellcasting (which can do anything you want, more or less), you could conjure up a Wall of Iron and push it onto the monster.

What? You only said "directly damage/kill it," and I don't see any DR there.
    Yeah, he was asking about spells, but this critter definitely calls for our power-leap-shock trooping-psionic lions charging-expanded-hasted-clawed psychic warrior friend.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

Forecage + Create Water.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Solo View Post
    Forecage + Create Water.
    Forcecage + opened decanter of endless water

14. - Top - End - #14
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gralamin View Post
    Rigeld2 all damage does allow spell resistance from seeds, you can add +2 to the DC to gain a +1 CL for overcoming SR.
    Meh, I forgot how dumb that was. Ah well - its trivial to get into the thousands for a spellcraft check to make and cast an epic spell. Bye bye baddie.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Barbarian in the Playground

Wouldn't work, unbarred forcecage blocks line of effect, and of course if it's taller than 10' feet you couldn't fit it in anyway.

The Orb Spells are the most obvious, Sonic Orb is already mentioned. At CR 45 there's no reason that I know of that a player couldn't empower/maximize the orb enough to blast through the monster in a couple of hits.
    My Webcomic:

Now in color!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gralamin View Post
    Forcecage + opened decanter of endless water that you will never see again
    Fixed it for ya'.

17. - Top - End - #17

WolfInSheepsClothing

time stop, evards black tentacles, drop a bag of holding next to it. When you come out of the timestop: quickened truestrike throw a black hole into the bag of holding. Say adios as the monster is sent into the astral plane for the githyanki to deal with it.
    Last edited by Truffles; 2007-02-12 at 10:57 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18

Summon CO Board is the spell you want. That one wins pretty much every time.
    Merlin the Tuna

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Truffles View Post
    time stop, bag of holding drop a bag of holding next to it, evards black tentacles, when you come out of the timestop: quickened truestrike throw a black hole into the bag of holding and say adios as the monster is sent into the astral plane for the githyanki to deal with it.
    Hey, If you want Timestop cheese, prepare some Dealyed Burst fireballs element swtched to sonic, apply quintessence i round before detonation. Pile up Arbitrrily many. Timestop in close, move out. SOmehow remove quintessence (probably through telekinesis), cast Silence or Deafness prior to detonation. Big old sonic boom.

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by oriong View Post
    Wouldn't work, unbarred forcecage blocks line of effect, and of course if it's taller than 10' feet you couldn't fit it in anyway.

The Orb Spells are the most obvious, Sonic Orb is already mentioned. At CR 45 there's no reason that I know of that a player couldn't empower/maximize the orb enough to blast through the monster in a couple of hits.
    Yeah, let's see how quickly we can do this. I won't even go epic; I'll just use a 20th level wizard.

A) cast "imbue familiar with spell ability" and give him 6 orbs of sound
    B) shapechange you and your familiar into chokers.

Each round for 3 rounds, you can do (assuming they all hit):
    quickened orb of sound (avg damage 15 * 2.5 = 38), 8th level spell slot
    empowered maximized orb of sound (avg damage 79), 9th level spell slot
    empowered maximized again
    familiar does a regular one twice.
    Average damage = 272. I suppose I should account for rolling a 1 to hit, so maybe it's only 250.

If the critter has 10,000 hit points, that could take a while and you're blowing through your 8th and 9th level spell slots in a hurry.

21. - Top - End - #21

I suppose I should've given more physical specifications. He's collossal, so forcecage won't work, and I imposed the limitation of "we both start within 100 feet of eachother and roll initiative." That means you don't have 100 days to cast an epic spell with you and your legions of eager-to-please-cohorts. That's child's play to do.
    I also said something along the lines of "No solar cheese."

Fireballs-turned-sonic sound like a great idea until you realize they allow for spell resistance. I figured out how to overcome spell resistance of around 100 with my epic caster, but couldn't go to 385. 100's not even close.

The orbs were what I thought of first, but unfortunatly they are are ranged touch spells specifically targeting Mr. Monster, and therefore will get turned back at the caster.

I'm not looking to send it to another plane of existance. I'm looking to kill it with spells in combat that my guy doesn't have tons of time to prepare for.

22. - Top - End - #22

Drop to your knees and pray.
    <Rexatar
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    Even better. Boy from Turkey and girl from UK wake up in Vegas married to one another. We'll call it Dude, Where's My Country?

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

I suppose I should've given more physical specifications. He's collossal, so forcecage won't work, and I imposed the limitation of "we both start within 100 feet of eachother and roll initiative." That means you don't have 100 days to cast an epic spell with you and your legions of eager-to-please-cohorts. That's child's play to do.

Fireballs-turned-sonic sound like a great idea until you realize they allow for spell resistance. I figured out how to overcome spell resistance of around 100 with my epic caster, but couldn't go to 385. 100's not even close.

The orbs were what I thought of first, but unfortunatly they are are ranged touch spells specifically targeting Mr. Monster, and therefore will get turned back at the caster.

I'm not looking to send it to another plane of existance. I'm looking to kill it with spells in combat that my guy doesn't have tons of time to prepare for.
    Spell Resistance? Pah. Isnt there something that takes care of that? I dont keep up with these things.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Banned

Gate it to the Negative Energy Plane. Or the Positive Energy Plane.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quickened Gate (I gate in a 60 HD Titan who has not used his gate ability today)
    Tell the titan to gate in another titan (40 HD) and so on down the line. In 6 seconds you can get every titan in the multiverse here to fight for you and they all stay for 20 round.

26. - Top - End - #26

50th level Wizard who casts this...

Soul Rend
    Epic Spell
    Necromancy [Death]
    Seed: Slay
    Spellcraft DC: 147
    Components: V, S, XP
    Casting Time: 1 Standard Action
    Target: All Creatures within 200' radius
    Duration: Instantaneous
    Save: Fortitude Partial
    Spell Resistance: Yes
    Factors: Slay seed (25 DC), 1 action casting time (+20), Change from Target to Area (+10), Increase spell's saving throw DC by 50 (+100), Affects 800 HD of creatures (+72), Increase Area by 1000% (+40), +340 CL to overcome spell resistance (+680), Burn 70,000 EXP (-700), 100d6 Backlash (-100)

Soul Reaver instantly snuffs out the life force of 800 HD worth of creatures within a 200 foot radius unless they make a successful Fortitude save vs. DC 70 + relevant ability modifier. On a successful save they instead take 3d6+20 points of damage.

XP Cost
    70,000 EXP

A Thirty-fivefold Rod of Excellent Magic will run you 22,750,000 GP, but I am pretty sure a 50th level character's WBL is above that.

There are infinitely more ways that a 50th level caster could find to kill this thing, but if you want it in one spell, then there you go. By 50th level, your caster's modifier to spell DCs should be in the 20s at the lowest, forcing a fail from this guy 95% of the time, and it automatically overcomes his spell resistance without specifically targeting him.

27. - Top - End - #27

I'm not looking to send it to another plane of existance.
    This means that the Negative and Positive Energy planes are ruled out.

I know how cheese works. I could gate in enough Solars to mob this thing to death, or send it to another plane, or take up 100 days to cast a spell it couldn't resist, or use Genesis to renew my spells within a single round, but that's not the point. The point is to kill it in fair combat. I'm looking for spells to do that.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Does the Negative energy Plane still do autodamage to any living thing on it (a la Planescape)?

AoE Wish it (and everything around it) there.

I see no dimension-shifting abilities on it, so it'll be stuck, and eventually be gone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin
    Thus, knowing none of us are Sun Tzu or Napoleon or Julius Caesar...
    No, but Swordguy appears to have studied people who are. And took notes.
    "I'd complain about killing catgirls, but they're dead already. You killed them with your 685 quadrillion damage." - Mikeejimbo, in reference to this

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Crap. Missed that part.

erm...Fly really high and drop a Maximized Wall of Iron on it?

Are you allowing magic item/artifacts?

Greased ground leading onto/into a Sphere of Annihilation...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin
    Thus, knowing none of us are Sun Tzu or Napoleon or Julius Caesar...
    No, but Swordguy appears to have studied people who are. And took notes.
    "I'd complain about killing catgirls, but they're dead already. You killed them with your 685 quadrillion damage." - Mikeejimbo, in reference to this

30. - Top - End - #30

Drop. Knees. Pray.

Pray to whatever gods you worship to save you from it.

Alternatively, just planeshift in Donald Trump so he can fire it.
    <Rexatar
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show