New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 42 of 50 FirstFirst ... 1732333435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,260 of 1486
  1. - Top - End - #1231
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Peelee's Chicken Fried Random Banter Thread #220

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius Hermicus View Post
    Hey people, can anybody offer me some help with a meal I'm planning?

I was going to make salmon baked with lemon and ginger, along with extremely thin-sliced potato wedges and an balsamic-cranberry-arugala salad. I'm having trouble thinking about what sort of grain dish to serve with it: any suggestions?
    Israeli couscous based pilaf with almonds?

2. - Top - End - #1232
    Titan in the Playground

grain dish

Maybe rice cooked with ghee, turmeric (warning: really stains stuff yellow), and cilantro?
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

3. - Top - End - #1233
    Troll in the Playground

Ah, the joys of having a human body. Before starting my internship I injured my pinky, which is close to being healed, and last week my eyelid swell up due to me having my nail dig into the inner corner of my eye for no one knows how many hours. Now my other eyelid has what seems like rug burn from rubbing it loads due to dry weather.

Life is such a blast.
    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac
    aah yes, alligators
    the most anime of creatures
    ~Extended Signature~

4. - Top - End - #1234
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Hey everybody. I'm trying to be less hyper and calmer. As many of you know I'm ADHD/Autism. And I'm always a very energetic person at the age of 3. So I just want to be calmer now. Any advice anyone.
    It's difficult. Remember pretending to be NT so that people don't exclude you for not being normal? (and if not, where on Earth do you live?) Well learning to remain in a different energy state is just as hard.

Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    Ah, the joys of having a human body. Before starting my internship I injured my pinky, which is close to being healed, and last week my eyelid swell up due to me having my nail dig into the inner corner of my eye for no one knows how many hours. Now my other eyelid has what seems like rug burn from rubbing it loads due to dry weather.

Life is such a blast.
    Ouch, yeah, minor injury collection is the worst. I've personally never had ones on my eyelids, but as my work refuses to get a new vegetable peeler* I end up taking the skin of one of my knuckles off wherever I have to use it (because nobody else here can't work out why you can't efficiently peel parsnips in a potato rumbler). Yeah yeah, peel away from you, that only really works when the peeler isn't on it's least legs.

So yeah, hope it all heals soon and that new wounds don't suddenly appear.

* There seems to be a rule that if it costs money and it's not absolutely essential it doesn't get fixed or replaced. Some of this equipment is going to die soon from not getting proper maintenance.

My scald seems to be halfway to healed. At the very least the scab has begun peeling off.

Oh, and recently had an argument with a friend about the fact that I loathe Valentine's Day. People can stop hearing about that fact when they stop using the day to push their relationships in my face, thank you very much.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

5. - Top - End - #1235
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    It's difficult. Remember pretending to be NT so that people don't exclude you for not being normal? (and if not, where on Earth do you live?) Well learning to remain in a different energy state is just as hard.

Ouch, yeah, minor injury collection is the worst. I've personally never had ones on my eyelids, but as my work refuses to get a new vegetable peeler* I end up taking the skin of one of my knuckles off wherever I have to use it (because nobody else here can't work out why you can't efficiently peel parsnips in a potato rumbler). Yeah yeah, peel away from you, that only really works when the peeler isn't on it's least legs.

So yeah, hope it all heals soon and that new wounds don't suddenly appear.

* There seems to be a rule that if it costs money and it's not absolutely essential it doesn't get fixed or replaced. Some of this equipment is going to die soon from not getting proper maintenance.

My scald seems to be halfway to healed. At the very least the scab has begun peeling off.

Oh, and recently had an argument with a friend about the fact that I loathe Valentine's Day. People can stop hearing about that fact when they stop using the day to push their relationships in my face, thank you very much.
    What does NT stands for?

6. - Top - End - #1236
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    What does NT stands for?
    Neurotypical, i.e. not austistic. I think technically it has a broader definition, but I've only ever seen it used to mean non-autistic, and that makes sense in this context. Oh, or it could be the product of the number of particles in a sample and its temperature, but I'm pretty sure that's not the case here.

7. - Top - End - #1237
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by SZbNAhL View Post
    Neurotypical, i.e. not autistic. I think technically it has a broader definition, but I've only ever seen it used to mean non-autistic, and that makes sense in this context. Oh, or it could be the product of the number of particles in a sample and its temperature, but I'm pretty sure that's not the case here.
    Ok. Thank you.

8. - Top - End - #1238
    Titan in the Playground

Neurotypical, i.e. not austistic. I think technically it has a broader definition, but I've only ever seen it used to mean non-autistic, and that makes sense in this context. Oh, or it could be the product of the number of particles in a sample and its temperature, but I'm pretty sure that's not the case here.
    Neurodiverse technically includes a number of mental illnesses as well, but yeah 90% of the time NT is used to mean nonautistic. As a side note it's also used as a slur in some autistic communities.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

9. - Top - End - #1239

PirateCaptain

Neurodiverse technically includes a number of mental illnesses as well, but yeah 90% of the time NT is used to mean nonautistic. As a side note it's also used as a slur in some autistic communities.
    Do you mean "neurotypical" is used as a slur by some autistic people against non-autistic people or "neurodiverse" is taken by some autistic people to be a slur against autistic people? The irony of that question is not lost on me.

10. - Top - End - #1240
    Titan in the Playground

Do you mean "neurotypical" is used as a slur by some autistic people against non-autistic people or "neurodiverse" is taken by some autistic people to be a slur against autistic people? The irony of that question is not lost on me.
    The former.

Anyway, a friend has told me that I might be developing problems with Depression, especially as there's a history of it in my family. I'm honestly scared to talk to my GP about it because I don't want to know, and even if I do have it I don't have anything severe enough to get treatment on the NHS.

Show

11. - Top - End - #1241
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

The former.

Anyway, a friend has told me that I might be developing problems with Depression, especially as there's a history of it in my family. I'm honestly scared to talk to my GP about it because I don't want to know, and even if I do have it I don't have anything severe enough to get treatment on the NHS.
    While it might not be the case for you, wouldn't it work better to get the diagnostic and then try and see what you can do to develop coping strategies with the resources that are available? This counts friends and family as well as anything that is professional help that you can access. Social support networks can help even if you cannot get professional help.

12. - Top - End - #1242
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mith View Post
    While it might not be the case for you, wouldn't it work better to get the diagnostic and then try and see what you can do to develop coping strategies with the resources that are available? This counts friends and family as well as anything that is professional help that you can access. Social support networks can help even if you cannot get professional help.
    It's not that I'm not planning to, it's that I'm scared of the result. If I never did stuff I'm afraid of I wouldn't be on OKC or trying to ask out people at work (also I'm working Valentine's Day, I foresee at least one of my co-workers claiming somebody likes me).

Show

13. - Top - End - #1243
    Titan in the Playground

I was going to make salmon baked with lemon and ginger, along with extremely thin-sliced potato wedges and an balsamic-cranberry-arugala salad. I'm having trouble thinking about what sort of grain dish to serve with it: any suggestions?
    To some extent potatoes replace grain dishes. That said, I'm all about lentils, millet, and barley for this sort of thing.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

14. - Top - End - #1244

I've never actually had a Valentine myself, but I always liked the day itself. It's a day for folks to be sweet and sappy and whatnot, or to ask out that certain somebody they want to be sweet and sappy with. I don't really get the genuine bitterness some people seem to have towards it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    : THOG NOW SCHRÖDINGER's ORC!
    Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post
    If you ever see Hitler riding a T-Rex in your direction - you, my friend, are a very unlucky person.
    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    "Ooh. Did you bring a biology textbook with you? No? Sorry, nothing personal." And then I dissect them.

15. - Top - End - #1245
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
    I've never actually had a Valentine myself, but I always liked the day itself. It's a day for folks to be sweet and sappy and whatnot, or to ask out that certain somebody they want to be sweet and sappy with. I don't really get the genuine bitterness some people seem to have towards it.
    It comes from a very childish form of self-centered entitlement. Speaking from experience. I wish I'd had your attitude in my teens.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-02-12 at 07:13 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

16. - Top - End - #1246
    Troll in the Playground

For me it's mainly because inevitably, something always seems to go wrong on Valentine's Day, entirely unrelated to the holiday itself. So... it's just a victim of association.

(I do like the 15th, though. Cheap Chocolate day. And nothing so far has gone bad then.)

17. - Top - End - #1247
    Barbarian in the Playground

I am still ashamed to admit this story.

When I was in high school, our class government would deliver a carnation flower with an attached note to anybody in the school on Valentine's Day, for the price of two bucks. In order to enhance my reputation among the class, I paid to have one delivered to myself, with no sender's name attached.

18. - Top - End - #1248

When I was in high school, our class government would deliver a carnation flower with an attached note to anybody in the school on Valentine's Day, for the price of two bucks. In order to enhance my reputation among the class, I paid to have one delivered to myself, with no sender's name attached.
    That's not shameful at all, that's working the system.

19. - Top - End - #1249

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    It comes from a very childish form of self-centered entitlement. Speaking from experience. I wish I'd had your attitude in my teens.
    For what it's worth I'm 23 now and I don't think I had that attitude in my teens. Not that I hated it when I was a teen or anything, I just didn't think about it or have an opinion.

Hey man, that's not shameful. Love yourself. Be your own Valentine. Buy yourself a carnation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    : THOG NOW SCHRÖDINGER's ORC!
    Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post
    If you ever see Hitler riding a T-Rex in your direction - you, my friend, are a very unlucky person.
    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    "Ooh. Did you bring a biology textbook with you? No? Sorry, nothing personal." And then I dissect them.

20. - Top - End - #1250
    Titan in the Playground

It's a lot less a hate for people doing stuff on the day, but the fact that people feel they have to announce it just because it's Valentine's Day.

I mean, seriously, nobody I know announces their dates, except on the 14th where it's all 'because it's Valentine's Day we built a boat and then went out to the Ritz for a meal before finishing the evening by going to see film.' If people are willing to just shut up about it as far as I'm concerned they can do whatever they want and it won't affect me, but considering practically every one of my RL friends is in a relationship it gets tiresome.

Show

21. - Top - End - #1251
    Ettin in the Playground

Basic brown rice or bulgur. You want something plain and a bit earthy to set a counter-point to the fruity and citrusy notes you have.

22. - Top - End - #1252
    Colossus in the Playground

Had a stunning realization lately. Often when watching shows with friends I can predict more or less where they're going. I'm good at catching bits of forshadowing and can make some pretty good guesses on where a story is going. I'm usually praised for being eagle eyed about these things (valid) or just really smart (true but not important) and, it occurs to me, what the actual reason for why this is.

I'm the only person who knows how to ****ing extrapolate.

(this is a subtweet about bad takes to the Frozen 2 trailer beeteedubs)

23. - Top - End - #1253

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    I'm usually praised for being... just really smart (true but not important)
    I greatly enjoy your writing style.

24. - Top - End - #1254
    Barbarian in the Playground

Had a stunning realization lately. Often when watching shows with friends I can predict more or less where they're going. I'm good at catching bits of forshadowing and can make some pretty good guesses on where a story is going. I'm usually praised for being eagle eyed about these things (valid) or just really smart (true but not important) and, it occurs to me, what the actual reason for why this is.

I have to stop from ruining movies for other people a lot. Mine comes from a particular professor I had in the course of my CJ degree though. Observation first, then inference.
    We came to wreck everything, and ruin your life.....God sent us.

25. - Top - End - #1255
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

This is why with some stories, I get frustrated when there are potential themes that could really work that are not really worked with to make a story that still delivers, but not to the height that it could have. I guess they can be proto-themes, as they don't actually arise.

The Kate Daniels series is an example for me where there are a lot of ideas that could have been expanded on for interesting effects that just...aren't. And it really feels like the authors (writing duo) didn't really see this potential within their works.

26. - Top - End - #1256
    Troll in the Playground

I know I'm often bad at picking up on subtext and reading between the lines and stuff for stories ahead of time. And, granted, that's in part because I enjoy being surprised. I like not knowing where the story is going, and all that. Because that's an experience that you can only have once. Granted, it can be fun to guess at what's going to happen, but I try to not hugely analyze anything beyond stream-of-consciousness thoughts.

27. - Top - End - #1257
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    I know I'm often bad at picking up on subtext and reading between the lines and stuff for stories ahead of time. And, granted, that's in part because I enjoy being surprised. I like not knowing where the story is going, and all that. Because that's an experience that you can only have once. Granted, it can be fun to guess at what's going to happen, but I try to not hugely analyze anything beyond stream-of-consciousness thoughts.
    It's pretty much this for me too. I like not knowing where stories are going (unless they're horror stories), so I don't really want to predict them. Plus, I'm usually too busy taking in the details to step out and analyse them.
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

28. - Top - End - #1258

Spoiler: responding via image rather than possibly breaking the rules
    Show
    Last edited by rooster707; 2019-02-13 at 07:11 PM. Reason: Dammit, imgur. Hopefully this one’ll work.
    Vitruvian Stickman avatar by linklele.
    I have an extended signature now. God knows why.
    Spoiler: shameless self-aggrandizing
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    What this guy said.

29. - Top - End - #1259
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

On a completely different note: I wish that the English language had kept "ye", as well as "thee/thou". The lack of these linguistic tools is frustrating.

And no, y'all and all y'all are not adequate substitutions.
    Last edited by Mith; 2019-02-13 at 07:42 PM.

30. - Top - End - #1260

Quote Originally Posted by Mith View Post
    On a completely different note: I wish that the English language had kept "ye", as well as "thee/thou". The lack of these linguistic tools is frustrating.

And no, y'all and all y'all are not adequate substitutions.
    Blasphemer!