New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Your RL alignment?

Quote Originally Posted by Boci View Post
    Not the same princicple. A more apt comparison would be you are both going to be hired, but the other guy has a system whereby he can do both his job and yours whilst only working 20% more hours, so the company hires him for 150% of his original salary. He gets more money for proportionally less work, the company saves money, and you lose out on a job. Winners and losers.
    If he's ingenious enough to do that - a case can be made that he deserves that money - and one can always look for a job elsewhere.

And I doubt very much that the world will end up full of both exceptionally productive people, and "out-of-work people" - that kind of intelligence can make other people more productive in the same fashion - and it's in the person's own best interest to use it in that way.

Going back to the thread title - I come out as LN in most of the alignment tests I take.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2014-09-22 at 03:37 PM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

2. - Top - End - #122
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    If he's ingenious enough to do that - a case can be made that he deserves that money
    Sure, but that does mean he is "life living at the expense of life". To say nothing of the fact that he probably got the idea in part because of his education, an education that was denied to others. I never said this was a bad thing, I certainly cannot think of a better system. But the idea that someone didn't exploit others, intentionally or not, on their rise to the top is questionable at best.

Also:

and one can always look for a job elsewhere.
    No, one cannot. There have been several points in history when this was not true.
    "It doesn't matter how much you struggle or strive,
    You'll never get out of life alive,
    So please kill yourself and save this land,
    And your last mission is to spread my command,"

Slightly adapted quote from X-Fusion, Please Kill Yourself

3. - Top - End - #123

Periods of massive unemployment, like the Great Depression?

4. - Top - End - #124
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Or the industrial revolution.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Bugbear in the Playground

DrowGuy

So I just came here to answer the question .

Anyway, I've been proven to be Neutral Good with a Chaotic Bent (N[C]G). Seeing as how I'm a Red-White(Blue) on the mythical MtG axis, it lines up just about right. Go me!
    Cookie Count: One

Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Spoiler: True Facts
    Show

6. - Top - End - #126
    Banned

What? No it isn't straightforwards. The concept of unlimited power is many things, straight forwards is not one of them.
    Unlimited power is not in question. The actions of an individual when they are limited only by their own mores is. Your obfuscation is terrible.

{Scrubbed} Like I said, you can argue that morality is subjective all you like, it doesn't matter. In the end people will act in accordance with their principles – and their principles will show through their actions.
    Last edited by Vaynor; 2014-09-22 at 07:59 PM.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Titan in the Playground

Or the industrial revolution.
    Or now. While the unemployment rate for people with a college education is manageable if not encouraging, it's absurdly high for unskilled workers.
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Ask me (or the other authors) anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

8. - Top - End - #128
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

The Red Towel: Please don't discuss real-world religion and politics.
    “Sometimes, immersed in his books, there would come to him
    the awareness of all that he did not know, of all that he had not read;
    and the serenity for which he labored was shattered as he realized the
    little time he had in life to read so much, to learn what he had to know.”
    ~Stoner, John Williams~
    My Homebrew (Most Recent) | Forum Rules
    /veɪnoɚ/

9. - Top - End - #129

Tne evil who speak up and are happy about it seem to be lawful or neutral evil. People who argue in the thread that their evil result is not evil earn a point towards Evil, yes. But should arguing also count as a point towards Chaotic?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tragak View Post
    I just found a new test if anybody's interested: http://www.mjyoung.net/dungeon/javalign.html

I got Chaotic Neutral again.
    Is New the best word for that site and test? Yes. Another chaotic neutral. Or just chaotic.
    I have found a RL gaming group but I'm willing to meet other GitP people nearby.
    Please send a PM or an email! _______ Tea served in a student cafe in Seattle

10. - Top - End - #130

Quote Originally Posted by Taet View Post
    Is New the best word for that site and test?
    Maybe not "recent," it just didn't seem like people were talking about it as much as the other two
    A game is a fictional construct created for the sake of the players, not the other way around. If you have a question "How do I keep X from happening at my table," and you feel that the out-of-game answer "Talk the the other people at your table" won't help, then the in-game answers "Remove mechanics A, B, and/or C, impose mechanics L, M, and/or N" will not help either.

Tragak's Planar Reconstruction Archive (current active project: Acheron)

Avatar Credit goes to: Chd. Thank you!

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DM Nate View Post
    According to this test, I turn out True Neutral.

EDIT: Oh, with a slight bent towards Chaotic Evil.
    This test indicates that I'm Neutral Good. I think that's a pretty good fit for me.

12. - Top - End - #132

Sure, but that does mean he is "life living at the expense of life".
    If one argues that it is "evil" (in the D&D sense of the word) to be "life living at the expense of life" and at the same time, one argues that it is impossible to not be "life living at the expense of life"

- then - isn't that basically an argument that "life is evil"?

Yet, to be Good, one must have "respect for life".

In a D&D context, being "self-sacrificing" is a Good trait - but it is not the absence of self-sacrificing behaviour that is an Evil trait - it is actively sacrificing others towards one's own ends that is.

Ordinary life - the life of the average person - is Neutral, not Good or Evil.

13. - Top - End - #133

I used to be neutral good and was for a long time. However I seem to have slipped to pure neutral. At least on this test. A minor bent towards chaos and evil.
    They say hope begins in the dark, but most just flail around in the blackness...searching for their destiny. The darkness... for me... is where I shine. - Riddick

Exile

Deny a monochrome future!!! -Radio Gosha-

14. - Top - End - #134
    Banned

If one argues that it is "evil" (in the D&D sense of the word) to be "life living at the expense of life" and at the same time, one argues that it is impossible to not be "life living at the expense of life"

- then - isn't that basically an argument that "life is evil"?

Yet, to be Good, one must have "respect for life".

In a D&D context, being "self-sacrificing" is a Good trait - but it is not the absence of self-sacrificing behaviour that is an Evil trait - it is actively sacrificing others towards one's own ends that is.
    Except merely living requires actively sacrificing others towards one's own ends. And there are very few people who can live an absolutely 'good' lifestyle without being miserable. And, a lot of what we consider "Good" cannot hold up if we try to extend it beyond our own species. We have to make up arbitrary and largely baseless distinctions between living beings to decide whether their lives are 'worth respecting' or 'free to destroy/use as we please'.

Also - Alignments are fundamentally inconsistent. This is just as true for Good+Evil as it is for Law+Chaos.

15. - Top - End - #135

Quote Originally Posted by Sartharina View Post
    Except merely living requires actively sacrificing others towards one's own ends.
    Writers like Rand and Heinlein would argue that it really doesn't.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Banned

Writers like Rand and Heinlein would argue that it really doesn't.
    Ignoring the harm you cause others on a regular basis is not the same as not doing it.

17. - Top - End - #137

They have a different definition of what constitutes "harm you cause others."

Alignments are fundamentally inconsistent. This is just as true for Good+Evil as it is for Law+Chaos.
    What we're discussing, by virtue of using the term "alignment" is the D&D definition - no matter how inconsistent. And it's our job to wring some level on consistency out of it.

"Life" in this case, may be "Conscious Intelligence". Killing a tree is not murder (a tree is an object in D&D). Killing an independent, intelligent construct, would be - even if that construct has no living cells in its body.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Banned

"Life" in this case, may be "Conscious Intelligence". Killing a tree is not murder (a tree is an object in D&D). Killing an independent, intelligent construct, would be - even if that construct has no living cells in its body.
    But what measure is a non-conscious intelligence?

19. - Top - End - #139

that, while it's (probably) not an evil act for a peasant farmer to kill crows preying on his crops, or the pig he's been raising for bacon come winter, it is evil for the farmer to brutalize and mistreat his animals.

I'm going with the assumption that a paladin, or character with one Exalted feat, can take up farming and not instantaneously Fall, or Fall the moment they kill an animal.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2014-09-23 at 02:27 AM.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Banned

I dunno. I think it can fairly be said that if it's an object – which includes "ignores fort save effects which do not also affect objects" – then it cannot be 'murdered'.

Of course, for this to be productive at all we need definitions of words which make sense both to emotional reasoning and to D&D's setting assumptions, at least nominally counting that this thread covers all versions of D&D.

• harm
    • murder
    • life

For example, murder gets thrown around a lot but it's used to mean 'killing something in a way I don't approve of'. That's not really murder though, unless by 'you' I'm referring to a society or society-level construct. Harm can also be viewed as entropy, whereby any action which diminishes any other thing by three degrees or less even at a technically accurate but no actionable level is still harm. Which is ridiculous and as said, nonaction able.

Alignment will not be decided in any meaningful way by pedantry and technicalities. It will be decided by whatever a stems have been internalized enough to make any actions taken 'right' or 'wrong'.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Unlimited power is not in question. The actions of an individual when they are limited only by their own mores is.
    I can see the potential merit in this approach, hence my counter example, which achieves roughly the same thing without a dozen unanswerable question about the very nature of the scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Your obfuscation is terrible.
    Fair enough, you are allowed to believe that. Can you explain why my argument is terrible, or bring some new points of your own to the table? Because until you do, there's not much I can do with "You are wrong, trust me", except point out that I was not the only one to find your insistence on the validity of an example involving omnipotence bizarre/result skewering.
    Last edited by Boci; 2014-09-23 at 02:35 AM.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

I'm going with the assumption that a paladin, or character with one Exalted feat, can take up farming and not instantaneously Fall, or Fall the moment they kill an animal.
    Excepting Vow of Peace, of course.

D&D morality is pretty clear that the death of animals and vermin through the normal traditional farming practice isn't Evil. This is the case regardless of whether this aligns with anyone's real-life ethics (and it does not, for a large number of people). It might be evil to torture a cow, but I'm not certain there's anything in the rules to suggest that. It's because of mismatches like this and the other way around that I say I'm likely not Good.
    Last edited by Jeff the Green; 2014-09-23 at 02:37 AM.
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Well I took a test a couple months back that said I'm True Neutral, and that feels close enough. Some of my friends consider me the token Good Teammate. But I honestly have some fairly cold-hearted ideas for making the world "better" in my eyes, though only for myself, my friends and family, and potentially for random people. I won't go into it for fear of breaching rules. But I feel like I am True Neutral, leaning more to Good while in a happy or benevolent mood, and more to Evil when depressed.
    Spoiler: Sigs about the Internet and Life
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Amidus Drexel View Post
    Yeah... even if it's a fairly friendly place by the internet's standards... it's still the internet. A certain level of pedantic bickering is to be expected.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    The forums can't universally agree that the sun will rise in the east. Disagreement is what we do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacior
    If I can get a pet dinosaur, I totally will. My low wisdom means a raptor looks like a great guard dog.

Awesome Holy Knight Haluesen avatar done by the uber skilled Grinner!

24. - Top - End - #144

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    It might be evil to torture a cow, but I'm not certain there's anything in the rules to suggest that.
    You've got the line in BOED that says "Torture is always evil" and the table in Fiendish Codex 2 that lists all "levels" of torture as Corrupt Acts.

Way I see it - any interpretation that claims that "

the act of living is an evil act because it cannot be anything other than "at the expense of others"

is incompatible with the D&D definitions of Good and Evil, loose as they are.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Titan in the Playground

Way I see it - any interpretation that claims that "

the act of living is an evil act because it cannot be anything other than "at the expense of others"

is incompatible with the D&D definitions of Good and Evil, loose as they are.
    Considering that there exist explicitly Good living beings, I think it's fairly safe to say that opportunity cost isn't a factor until you get to the point of gluttony and Willing Deformity (obese)

26. - Top - End - #146

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    Considering that there exist explicitly Good living beings, I think it's fairly safe to say that opportunity cost isn't a factor until you get to the point of gluttony and Willing Deformity (obese)
    Given that there's a "Willing Deformity - Emaciated" feat (named something along those lines, anyway) it may be less a case of "gluttony" and more a case of "disrespect for one's own life and body" that makes such a feat Vile.

Suppose a character used spells in order to overeat until they qualified for the feat - and then took the feat. There would be no case of "opportunity cost".
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2014-09-23 at 03:35 AM.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Titan in the Playground

Could we PLEASE try to stay on topic? If you want to discuss alignment, make a thread yourself for that.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

28. - Top - End - #148

Problem is - this is an alignment thread.

Though I suppose the statements could be that "In my opinion, based on my own reading of D&D alignment texts, if I was translated into the D&D-verse I would be X alignment" - and leave it at that, with no discussion of whether that reading is correct or not.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ettin in the Playground

In terms of D&D 3.x. : anything with a Wisdom and Charisma score of 3 or more and Int score of 2 or less.

The difference between Int 2 and Int 3 is the ability to speak, read and write. Int is also primarily associated with analytical thinking and memory. In real world terms, it best corresponds to general intellect, measured by IQ. From this, we can gather any person or creature ranking below 0.46 percentile in terms of IQ is not considered a conscious, moral operator, and as per the rules for animals in D&D 3.x., defaults to being True Neutral in alignment.

As most animals lack linguistic ability and compare poorly to humans in terms of analytical thinking, the Animal type in D&D 3.x. is by default considered to have 2 or less Int and be True Neutral. Plants, if I recall correctly, are by default considered to be Mindless, meaning Int is a non-ability for them. Hence they too are non-conscious and True Neutral.

Killing these creatures for sustenance or self-defense does not count as Evil under any reasonable reading of the alignment rules. Hence, a strict vegetarian would almost certainly count as Good, and a carnivore limiting its killing to Animals would count at worst Neutral.
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

30. - Top - End - #150

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Plants, if I recall correctly, are by default considered to be Mindless, meaning Int is a non-ability for them. Hence they too are non-conscious and True Neutral.

Killing these creatures for sustenance or self-defense does not count as Evil under any reasonable reading of the alignment rules. Hence, a strict vegetarian would almost certainly count as Good, and a carnivore limiting its killing to Animals would count at worst Neutral.
    Plant Creatures are sometimes intelligent, but not often.

However "ordinary" trees tend to be portrayed as Objects.

BoED had a Vow that required the character to "not touch dead flesh" of any kind - assuming that the flesh has to be that of a creature, and "fruit flesh" doesn't count - that would be a Vow that basically requires strict vegetarianism. Even if you swallowed something alive, its dead flesh would be touching the inside of your stomach shortly afterward.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2014-09-23 at 05:18 AM.