New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 49 of 50 FirstFirst ... 24394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,470 of 1484
  1. - Top - End - #1441
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: LGBTAitP 26: No Time For Snappy Titles

Quote Originally Posted by Zorg View Post
    Thanks all, and further thanks for all the support I've gotten :)
    @ Celtic - no party just yet. Still have to tackle my Dad, my daughter (and more importantly her mother - who will either be totally fine or find it clashes with her belief structure and make things... problematic). Daughter herself I'm not too worried about really, she's pretty easy going.

I am planning to have a party around the time I'm done with electrolysis & had a tracheal shave, however, as that's around the time I'll start going en femme all the time socially*.
    Should co-incide with my hair being around shoulder length and very close to my birthday to boot!
    Well hope all the rest of the "coming outs" go well!! Esp with the mother of the daughter.....she sounds *ahem* like an interesting lady.
    My Extended Signature, Check it out!

DMing:

Amazing Irish Avatar by Savannah

My own 5e Bard Subclass
    Made by the awesome Wartex1!

LGBTA+ Ally

2. - Top - End - #1442
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    Unrelated to anything except hair, but mine seems to be getting a reddish tinge. I hope it gets stronger - plain old brown hair is boring :I
    I like my boring brown hair. Not actually sad or very serious. My hair actually has natural blond spots too for whatever reason.

Came out to my mum yesterday. It went far better than I expected - as well as it possibly could, really - but was still very, very draining.

Happy, but tired
    Glad to hear it went well, Zorg.

3. - Top - End - #1443
    Titan in the Playground

Glad to hear about the coming out Zorg! I hope the rest of the family goes as well (if not better). Good luck!

Co-Founder of LUTAS.
    For all you lesser superheroes out there.

Custom STO avatar by Durkoala.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Spoiler: Online stuffs
    Show
    Lentrax has a Deviantart now, check it out!

Streaming Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 11CST on Twitch.

Follow me on Twitter!

4. - Top - End - #1444
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: LGBTAitP 26: No Time For Snappy Titles

Came out to my mum yesterday. It went far better than I expected - as well as it possibly could, really - but was still very, very draining.

Happy, but tired
    Congratulations, I hope coming out will continue to go well. ^_^

Thanks all, and further thanks for all the support I've gotten :)

@ Succubus - I'd hoped to sleep in today a bit, but my daughter decided to come over early and wake me up about two hours earlier than I'd planned. And back to work tomorrow, then an early start for electrolysis after that, lol. So hopefully a good night's sleep tonight.

@ Celtic - no party just yet. Still have to tackle my Dad, my daughter (and more importantly her mother - who will either be totally fine or find it clashes with her belief structure and make things... problematic). Daughter herself I'm not too worried about really, she's pretty easy going.

I am planning to have a party around the time I'm done with electrolysis & had a tracheal shave, however, as that's around the time I'll start going en femme all the time socially*.
    Should co-incide with my hair being around shoulder length and very close to my birthday to boot!

* i.e. all the time except work.
    I really should focus on the fact that I wish you as much good luck with your co-parent (Is that the right word? I am not sure. ^_^') but I cannot stop imagining people with their children when they mention them.

I still imagine you as your avatar.

So adorable. @_@

Sorries. >_<
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

5. - Top - End - #1445
    Ogre in the Playground

Again, thanks to all for the kind words and support - I've never been very good at the giving of such advice, but I hope my experiences will help others here in some way

Quote Originally Posted by Absol197 View Post
    Maybe once you've rested up a bit, you could give us a blow-by-blow? Some of us still need tips on how to go about this sort of thing.
    Well I basically had no idea what I was going to say until I said it
    I just came out and said something like "I have something important to say... I've been seeing a therapist for a while as the first step on the process of gender re-assignment."

I chose those words to make it very clear what was going on in a very non-jargony way.

Her reaction was to go "reeaaaaalllly????" and for a moment I was terrified she wasn't going to believe me until she went "oh wow" or something. There was lots of crying from me and my GF (who was there, obviously).

Mum was sad, not because of it but because she knew what a hard life I was going to have because of stupid society.

What's dad like? Hopefully he'll be just as understanding about everything as your mom was.
    Hahaha - no. Well, there is a slim chance but I'm expecting an initial explosion and calming down after a week or two (my brother agrees with this assessment as beign likely). Of course I'd much prefer him to surprise me, but I'm going to be prepared for it to go badly at first (maybe).

And now I'm worried for you again. I hope your daughter's mom doesn't make a big to-do about it - what could she do if she decides she doesn't like the idea? Only if you want to share, of course.

But either way, more congrats, *hugs*, and luck!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keveak View Post
    I really should focus on the fact that I wish you as much good luck with your co-parent (Is that the right word? I am not sure. ^_^') but I cannot stop imagining people with their children when they mention them.
    My daughter lives with her mother and step-dad (and other siblings unrelated to me). I see her regularly but don't have much to do with other parents. Last I heard they were still on the conservative side of religious, so while I don't think she could really do anything legally, making it socially awkward is my main concern.
    I think it should be ok - I'm going to have to approach it carefully though.

I still imagine you as your avatar.

So adorable. @_@

Sorries. >_<
    I'm cool with that ^_^
    Princess in the streets.
    Princess in the sheets.
    Don't touch me I'm royalty.

6. - Top - End - #1446
    Bugbear in the Playground

Happy, but tired
    Hope it keeps going well~

~Bianca
    Thanks for existing.

Dragon Hunter avatar by Lerky. Magical Girl by the lovely Astrella~

7. - Top - End - #1447
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    Well, guess I'm back to ask a few questions.

What's the best way to wash my hair if I want to keep it healthy? My hair is about down to my shoulders (Longest portion a little further than that, and it's kind of thick and wavy/curly). I'm not sure how often I'm supposed to shampoo it, or even what sort of temperature I'm supposed to do it at, how long I'm supposed to leave the shampoo/Conditioner in, ETC.

Also, I'd kind of like to watch some more LGBTA related media. Anybody have any particularly good suggestions? I like both Live-action and anime.

If you're going to suggest anything really adult, make sure to contact me off the boards please.

Don't have much news. Going to try and start working on my voice tomorrow.
    #latetotheparty

Re: hair
    I generally find once every two days is good for hair. I like to wash it quickly with shampoo, concentrating on the roots, but not agitating the scalp too much. Then putting conditioner on my fingers and running it through my hair, concentrating on the ends. The roots are dirtiest, the ends are oldest and most fragile. I don't leave either in very long (my entire shower routine from clothed to clothed is about ten minutes.) This has worked very well for me. If you want to do some luxury, a no-poo wash is great. Have a bath (or a really long shower), use loads of conditioner, rubbing into the roots and brushing gently through with your fingers. Then leave in for 20 minutes and wash out completely.

Re: LGBT+ media
    I second Modern Family
    I've been meaning to take a look at Wandering Son, it looks really good.

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    Unrelated to anything except hair, but mine seems to be getting a reddish tinge. I hope it gets stronger - plain old brown hair is boring :I
    Ooh, that would be nice. I think brown hair can be really pretty, though. Simple doesn't always mean boring.

Happy, but tired
    Well done! Good for you!

Cheerfairy, Kenderwoman and Geologist by Succubus, Feminist Geomancer by Astrella, Kender Wizard by me

8. - Top - End - #1448
    Ogre in the Playground

Happy, but tired
    Congratulations!
    ... I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams.

9. - Top - End - #1449
    Barbarian in the Playground

That's great Zorg, I'm so glad your mom was understanding, and I hope things go well with the rest of your relatives too. The good thing to remember where your religiously inclined, conservative family is concerned is that those views don't necessarily make them likely to hate you with the seething, burning passion of a thousand searing suns. A lot of times, those who oppose a particular group of people on abstract principle will make exceptions for people they know as different from "everyone else" in that group. As an example, my cousin came out as a lesbian a little while back, and even the least accepting of my family didn't disown her or anything. Granted, there were murmurs of disapproval, and some advice about having her consult some form of clergyman, but I have a feeling you're not worried if you aren't best friends with most of them afterwards.
    This Minase Iori avatar is a masterwork by Qwernt

DS Friend Code for Pokemon Trades and such. 1549 7971 5718

10. - Top - End - #1450
    Ogre in the Playground

Congrats, Zorg
    Avatar by me. It's Incendius Darkscale, a Good Dragonborn Dragon Sorcerer, Demonskin Adept, Prince of Hell, worshiper of the Platinum Dragon (Bahamut), specializing in Fire and Lightning, wielding a staff in each hand.

11. - Top - End - #1451
    Titan in the Playground

Congratulations Zorg, and good luck with your dad. It may be difficult for him to accept, but I'm sure he'll come around. It is possible to teach an old dog new tolerances.
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Ask me (or the other authors) anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

12. - Top - End - #1452
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KenderWizard View Post
    #latetotheparty

Re: hair
    I generally find once every two days is good for hair.
    I've been doing every one to three days with shampoo,and been conditioning it every day.

I like to wash it quickly with shampoo, concentrating on the roots, but not agitating the scalp too much. Then putting conditioner on my fingers and running it through my hair, concentrating on the ends. The roots are dirtiest, the ends are oldest and most fragile. I don't leave either in very long (my entire shower routine from clothed to clothed is about ten minutes.)
    I usually wash out the shampoo almost immediately after I make sure it's thoroughly in, and leave the conditioner in until I'm done washing my body. ]
    This has worked very well for me. If you want to do some luxury, a no-poo wash is great. Have a bath (or a really long shower), use loads of conditioner, rubbing into the roots and brushing gently through with your fingers. Then leave in for 20 minutes and wash out completely.
    I'll probably do this tomorrow a little after I wake up.

[QUOTE=Castaras;13947657]Depends on what shampoo and conditioner you're using.

The basics would be, for normal "put in, wash out" hair products - put shampoo in, massage scalp with shampoo, making sure you get shampoo from scalp to tips. Wash out. Rinse a bit. Then do the same with conditioner. Wash out. Rinse a bit. Temperature should be what you're comfortable with.
    Alright.

Most important thing for hair care - don't use too many products. It'll drown your hair and cause all sorts of buildup and damage.
    Can you elaborate what you mean a little more by this?

Depending on how you style it, I'd also recommend not straightening your hair that often (if at all). Straighteners lead to damage in the long run (burning your hair to make it straight - yep). Don't dye it too regularly either - again, it can cause damage if you do it too much.
    I don't actually style it at all. It just waves and curls by itself. I've never used a straightener and have no intention of using one any time soon. Never dyed it either.

Quote Originally Posted by Heliomance View Post
    Temperature doesn't matter that much, I just use water at the temperature I want to shower in. I wash mine every couple of days. The way I do it is shampoo first thing when I get in the shower, like Cassie said, massage it from root to tips, rinse out. Conditioner, smooth it in all the way down. You don't want to run the same way you do with shampoo or you'll tangle your hair up something horrid. I then leave that in while I wash the rest of my body, and rinse it out last thing when I'm done.
    I'll keep this in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    You're generally not supposed to wash your hair daily, but it hasn't killed me (or, more importantly, my hair) yet. Temperature is whatever you find comfortable. My conditioner is the sort that says to leave it in for a couple of minutes, so I put that in my hair and then I wash my body in the meantime, so I can rinse everything off at once.
    Makes sense, and this is about what I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_D&Der View Post
    Well, honestly, it kind of depends on what type of hair you have. If your hair is naturally oily, like my is, then I would get a shampoo made for oily hair, like mine. I use Suave Daily Clarifying Shampoo and it works like a charm for me. My hair is also down to my shoulders and very fussy about hair products that have oil in them, so I tend to stay away from them. Something else I use as a Conditioner, as opposed to an actual conditioner you use in the shower, is Biosilk: Silk Therapy. Now the Biosilk is on the expensive side, about $35-$40 a bottle, but mine lasts me for usually 9-12 months, sometimes longer, because you only use about half the size of a dime per use in your hair. After I get out of the shower, I dry my hair as much as I can with just my towel, and then put the Biosilk in. It is also a non-oil based product, so my hair loves it. Then, I let my hair air-dry(but it works equally as well using a dryer to speed up the process) and Viola! very nice, healthy, smooth, soft hair.

This is just what I do with my hair, which is super oily, straight, and hasn't ever been messed with, i.e. I haven't ever colored it, straightened it, or anything of the like, before. So, I hope this helps even a little bit. Any other questions, don't hesitate to ask, on here or by way of PM.
    I'll keep this in mind too. My hair tends to be pretty oily sometimes.

I think I just read either in here or somewhere that you're not supposed to brush it while wet. Is moving it out of the way with my fingers, using a really large toothed comb, or using a hair clip to keep it out of my eyes a problem?

13. - Top - End - #1453
    Titan in the Playground

I think I just read either in here or somewhere that you're not supposed to brush it while wet. Is moving it out of the way with my fingers, using a really large toothed comb, or using a hair clip to keep it out of my eyes a problem?
    It shouldn't be. It mostly has to do with the act of combing pulling your hair out, since between the heat and the water your pores grow larger enough to make it easier for you to remove more hair by combing, brushing, shaving, yanking, or whatever else you may do in the shower. But just moving it aside and holding it in place with a clip should not be a problem.

Just don't pull on it too much.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

14. - Top - End - #1454
    Titan in the Playground

Ack, sudden massive attack of dysphoria. Disgusted by what I see in the mirror, and fighting the urge to just curl up and wait for the world to go away.

*cringes*
    Quotebox
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalirren View Post
    The only person in the past two pages who has known what (s)he has been talking about is Heliomance.
    Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    I just don't want to have long romantic conversations or any sort of drama with my computer, okay? It knows what kind of porn I watch. I don't want to mess that up by allowing it to judge any of my choices in romance.

Wish building characters for D&D 3.5 was simpler? Try HeroForge Anew! An Excel-based, highly automated character builder. v7.4 now out!

15. - Top - End - #1455
    Ettin in the Playground

*hugs Helio*

For what it's worth, if you dislike what you see in the mirror, you're flying in the face of public opinion.

16. - Top - End - #1456
    Titan in the Playground

But it's all beard shadow and male and hairy arms and yuk >_<

I gave up - I have in fact just spent the last half hour curled up with my eyes shut, trying not to think about my body. Not fun.
    Quotebox
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalirren View Post
    The only person in the past two pages who has known what (s)he has been talking about is Heliomance.
    Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    I just don't want to have long romantic conversations or any sort of drama with my computer, okay? It knows what kind of porn I watch. I don't want to mess that up by allowing it to judge any of my choices in romance.

Wish building characters for D&D 3.5 was simpler? Try HeroForge Anew! An Excel-based, highly automated character builder. v7.4 now out!

17. - Top - End - #1457
    Titan in the Playground

Sorry Helio. Have a hug. *hug*

I know its hard to look in that mirror. That mirror is the worst. I may not be able to make it better, but I can tell you that you are awesome. You may not feel it today, and maybe not tommorrow, but you will feel good about yourself again. We are all here to help you, all you gotta do is ask!

*hugs Helio*

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

18. - Top - End - #1458
    Ogre in the Playground

*hugs to Helio*

I don't have super dark hair, but when I feel bad about my arms I imagine I'm a sultry Spanish seniority rather If I'm remembering correctly you have the dark tresses to pull that off easily
    Princess in the streets.
    Princess in the sheets.
    Don't touch me I'm royalty.

19. - Top - End - #1459

ElfMonkGuy

*Hugs Helio* *Couple more just in case*
    I rember your pic from like 3 threads ago. You. Are. Very. Pretty.
    IDGAF what that mirror trys to pull. Your awsome.

(Hope that helps )

Oh! *Fistpump* to Zorg. Glad to hear it went well so far.
    Poems!
    Awesome people saying awesome things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carecalmo View Post
    Then again, you could be volunteering for !!SCIENCE!!, in which case... I shall take notes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Waker View Post
    Alternatively I may consider going into politics after getting bored of hunting aliens in the jungle.
    ( Please pardon any garbled posts. I prefer face to face communication then text, and I also don't read whole threads, so I may just put in my 2cp.)

20. - Top - End - #1460
    Firbolg in the Playground

That was me. Yeah, fingers and hair clips are fine. A wide-toothed comb shouldn't be all that bad. The main concern is that the water and heat make your hairs more likely to be pulled out and make them more likely to stretch and break, potentially leading to split ends if they break unevenly.

Ack, sudden massive attack of dysphoria. Disgusted by what I see in the mirror, and fighting the urge to just curl up and wait for the world to go away.

*cringes*
    *hugs* I'm sorry to hear it.
    Jude P.

21. - Top - End - #1461
    Titan in the Playground

*cringes*
    This too will pass. Remember that. *hugs*

Oooh, and that's a bad miss.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

22. - Top - End - #1462
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lentrax View Post
    It shouldn't be. It mostly has to do with the act of combing pulling your hair out, since between the heat and the water your pores grow larger enough to make it easier for you to remove more hair by combing, brushing, shaving, yanking, or whatever else you may do in the shower. But just moving it aside and holding it in place with a clip should not be a problem.

Just don't pull on it too much.
    This. It's not a huge problem. I usually brush my hair when it's still damp, because otherwise I end up with something approximating a bird's nest on the back of my skull. Especially since I often shower last thing at night and go to bed right after. So the trick is to just do it gently. Take a handful, just brush the ends out until there's no tangles in the last few centimeters, then brush the lower half until there's no tangles, then brush most of it, then brush all the way through. Don't just jam the comb in at the top and yank down.

*cringes*
    *cuddles* Lots of women, cis and trans, have dark arm hair and even facial hair. Lots of women spend a lot of time smoothing all those "imperfections" away before they go out, so most of the world never sees it. Your distress is totally understandable, but you are not alone, and it will pass. And we're all here for you.

Cheerfairy, Kenderwoman and Geologist by Succubus, Feminist Geomancer by Astrella, Kender Wizard by me

23. - Top - End - #1463

@ Zorg: That's wonderful news. Glad it went well.

@ Helio: *so many hugs* I can just repeat what others already said: you are a truly beautiful human. *more hugs*
    You can call me Juniper. Please use gender-neutral pronouns (ze/hir (preferred) or they/them) when referring to me.

"We all are vessels of our brokenness, we carry it inside us like water, careful not to spill. And what is wholeness if not brokenness encompassed in acceptance, the warmth of its power a shield against those who would hurt us?" - R. Lemberg, Geometries of Belonging

Stories Art

24. - Top - End - #1464
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KenderWizard View Post
    This. It's not a huge problem. I usually brush my hair when it's still damp, because otherwise I end up with something approximating a bird's nest on the back of my skull. Especially since I often shower last thing at night and go to bed right after. So the trick is to just do it gently. Take a handful, just brush the ends out until there's no tangles in the last few centimeters, then brush the lower half until there's no tangles, then brush most of it, then brush all the way through. Don't just jam the comb in at the top and yank down.
    Yeah, I used to shower at night (showering in the morning with a bus to catch at 6:40, even if it never showed up on time, is a pain) and go to bed with my hair damp or wet. But I waited until morning to brush it anyway. I was quite used to spending half an hour to untangle my hair on bad days. Start at the bottom, holding it a bit higher up so you don't tug on the roots, then work up. If you start higher up, all you're doing is pushing the knots down and tightening them, which makes it a huge pain to untangle. I've had knots so bad I had to spend five minutes undoing them with my fingers, a couple of hairs at a time. Mostly the bad ones happened right at the bottom of my neck in the back.
    Jude P.

25. - Top - End - #1465

But it's all beard shadow and male and hairy arms and yuk >_<

I gave up - I have in fact just spent the last half hour curled up with my eyes shut, trying not to think about my body. Not fun.
    *so many hugs for Helio*. I'm so sorry, I hate it when the mirror does that to me. I don't know what else to say, other than to hang on, and it will pass.

I just feel bad that you don't have anyone to be there with you this time. I wish I could change that...
    "It is important to draw wisdom from many different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." --Iroh
    LGBTAitP! If you want to talk, learn, or have some fun, stop by!
    Avatar by the lovely Lycunadari!

26. - Top - End - #1466
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: LGBTAitP 26: No Time For Snappy Titles

*cringes*
    *HUGS*

I can only provide few words of advice, but I am certain that things will soon get much better. Look forward and never give up, you are an amazing and beautiful person. Though the journey may seem long, it shrinks many kilometres shorter when you take another step.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

27. - Top - End - #1467
    Titan in the Playground

*cringes*
    (HUGS)
    We're all here for you.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

28. - Top - End - #1468
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    (HUGS)
    We're all here for you.
    *Hugs Lixie and therefore Helio*

BEAR HUG PILE!!!!!!! And like Lixie said, we are here for you!
    My Extended Signature, Check it out!

DMing:

Amazing Irish Avatar by Savannah

My own 5e Bard Subclass
    Made by the awesome Wartex1!

LGBTA+ Ally

29. - Top - End - #1469

*cringes*
    *hugs*

Hope you feel better, sweetie. That mirror has no idea what it's talking about. Go home mirror, you're drunk.

*more hugs*
    This Minase Iori avatar is a masterwork by Qwernt

DS Friend Code for Pokemon Trades and such. 1549 7971 5718

30. - Top - End - #1470
    Titan in the Playground

*Offers hugs for Helio*

Thanks with all the help with the hair stuff guys.

EDIT: How often should one do the No-poo thing? I assume it's not necessary to do more than once every couple of months at most? And is it okay if I condition my hair every day, or should I only condition it after I shampoo it, making it ever 2-3 days?
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2012-09-25 at 11:40 AM.