New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Default So did Hel know how the gods would vote?

Now that we've seen Hel's master plan, it turns out that, in theory, she didn't necessarily need Durkon after all -- if the Gods collectively vote "yes" and destroy the world, she collects every Dwarven soul and ascends to be the most powerful member of the Northern Pantheon. Unless she's lying or eliding a critical step in this process, she didn't have to actually be there to claim that victory. And casting a single vote out of 18 was no guarantee that she'd win. So did she (and presumably the other gods) knew well in advance how the vote was going to play out? Is there any reason for this plan if she didn't?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar. Sometimes, characters that have a similar hairstyle just have a similar hairstyle. How many hairstyles do you think there are that can be drawn in stick figure style, anyway?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: So did Hel know how the gods would vote?

She counted the votes based on her knowledge of the gods in question. Much like we can usually anticipate the votes of our own politicians.

She obviously guessed correctly.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

I can only imagine that she has had plenty of time to figure out and guess at how the votes will fall. Heck, if the vote ahd gone her way, she could have just stayed quiet and and gloated about it when the souls settled out.
    Now, Back to Lurking!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    I think I'm going to defer to his wiser judgment in this case, because I'm probably going to keep writing responses and that will only lead to me getting myself in trouble somehow.
    - I should follow this advice more often.

Belkar's Death Countdown best guess: 31/49 days used before Belkar is gone forever more! - updated to morning at 1190!

Hey, its the Blog where I write! Dice Roles

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Well, Hel had to do something when she wasn't plotting revenge, and it's not like she had a lot of mortal affairs to attend to. She probably spent years watching the other gods, memorising their personality traits and habits to a point of predictability.

She could just estimate, with reasonable accuracy, what their responses would be. Even if she got some wrong, the margin could easily have gone in her favour.

On a more mechanical point, the destruction of the world causes a lot of deaths in the Northern Pantheon's worshippers. Therefore, the vote is part of her portfolio, and she can anticipate how the other gods would vote through her portfolio sense.

Either way, it's not overly far-fetched.

EDIT: Partly Swordsage'd. But my point about portfolios stands.
    Last edited by Eno Remnant; 2015-08-27 at 10:43 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Considering X-thousand years experience, nigh-omnicogniscence, and ordinary political clout, I imagine that every god of every pantheon knew the outcome before it happened- the weight of obligations and experience is too great for them not to vote predictably, at that point. Only a total coup, like a goddess choosing to vote for her pantheon for the very first time, could have upset that knowledge.

...she simultaneously pulled a party-level conspiracy*, a multi-national conspiracy, and a deific conspiracy all at the same time.

Hel is effing BRILLIANT.

*provided the conspiracy didn't just come down to "predictable death of Thundershield, of course".
    Last edited by Cirrylius; 2015-08-27 at 10:51 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

As was pointed out in #998, the gods have held this exact vote before, during the Order of the Scribble's day. Between that and knowledge of their personalities and priorities, it is not unreasonable that a hyper-intelligent being would be able to count votes ahead of time. Maybe there were one or two that were uncertain, but that's why she had Durkon wait until it was over.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

7. - Top - End - #7

*glances up*

Is it... do I get in trouble if I squee?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shale View Post
    Now that we've seen Hel's master plan, it turns out that, in theory, she didn't necessarily need Durkon after all -- if the Gods collectively vote "yes" and destroy the world, she collects every Dwarven soul and ascends to be the most powerful member of the Northern Pantheon. Unless she's lying or eliding a critical step in this process, she didn't have to actually be there to claim that victory. And casting a single vote out of 18 was no guarantee that she'd win. So did she (and presumably the other gods) knew well in advance how the vote was going to play out? Is there any reason for this plan if she didn't?
    What you have to keep in mind is that deities in D&D settings (and mythology in general for that matter) are generally pretty predictable. It's a side-effect of having each one advocate for/exemplify one virtue or aspect of reality above all others.

For instance, knowing that Freya - the goddess of creating life - would vote against snuffing it all out, should be be as easy to deduce as voting that the god of monsters would be in favor - after all, his own creations get slaughtered all the time. Similarly, the god of secrets' vote should be easy to guess, because nothing keeps a secret better than oblivion, while the gambler god voting no and letting the chips fall where they may should also be easy to guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

There's a few gods where I would guess that their responses might be hard to predict (though with a prior vote you could reasonably expect where the votes would go). The two that stick out for me are:
    - Tyr could just as easily say "never give up without an epic fight!"
    - Loki as a champion of keeping the world alive, given that he's, well, Loki. I guess he's more fire than evil here, but still - you'd think he might be down with seeing the world go in flames and starting over.

Overall I liked that this wasn't a decision based on alignment so much as a spectrum of caution to optimism.
    Handbooks: (Hosted on the new MixMax forums)
    [3.5] The Poison Handbook
    [3.5] (New) Master of Shrouds Handbook
    [3.5 Base Class] Healer's Handbook

Trophies!
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Strategos and Jumilk for the awesome Iron Chef trophies!

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Akal Saris View Post
    There's a few gods where I would guess that their responses might be hard to predict (though with a prior vote you could reasonably expect where the votes would go). The two that stick out for me are:
    - Tyr could just as easily say "never give up without an epic fight!"
    - Loki as a champion of keeping the world alive, given that he's, well, Loki. I guess he's more fire than evil here, but still - you'd think he might be down with seeing the world go in flames and starting over.

Overall I liked that this wasn't a decision based on alignment so much as a spectrum of caution to optimism.
    I always saw Loki as a God of Chaos rather then a God of Evil.... As fire is.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Synesthesy View Post
    I always saw Loki as a God of Chaos rather then a God of Evil.... As fire is.
    Fire isn't intelligent/sapient though, while gods are. When you devote yourself to chaos to the point that you're willing to hurt/destroy life for the fun of it, that's when you slip from CN to CE. Unseelie fey are much the same - their pranks cross the line from mischief to outright malice.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Similarly, the god of secrets' vote should be easy to guess
    He's not very good at his job, is he?