New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 38 of 49 FirstFirst ... 13282930313233343536373839404142434445464748 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,140 of 1452
  1. - Top - End - #1111
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Number of Character Appearances V

It's to brag that none of the other recurring threads got a mention in the comic.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

2. - Top - End - #1112
    Firbolg in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Gift Jeraff View Post
    It's to brag that none of the other recurring threads got a mention in the comic.
    I think it's important to remember, before this goes to our heads, that the thread was only mentioned through Wrecan. That was for him, not any of us.
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    I can't find the one with the "cartoon butt," though.
    OK, finally tracked the Naked Superheroes guy down
    What do you see as being objectionable about it? The use of the word "bimbos"?
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    There are no nipples or genitals
    Looks like a nipple when I look close.
    Then don't look close.

3. - Top - End - #1113
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Yana View Post
    Crediting, not creating.

I was curious as to why Gift Jeraff and Emanick wanted to add an appearance for Number of Character Appearances in the most recent comic.
    I don't really care whether we do it or not, it just strikes me as a fun and rather poignant idea.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

4. - Top - End - #1114
    Ettin in the Playground

I just want to chime in and say I think it would be extremely awesome if you mentioned this, somewhere. Even if it's not listed as a "character appearance", saying it was mentioned, maybe in the FAQ, would be pretty cool.

5. - Top - End - #1115
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

Considering how much more we like to do when refrencing Wrecan than other characters, It doesn't suprise me that we would want to catalouge when he mentions counting character apperances.

All that being said, That is not really the point of the thread. I guess we could make a thread specifically about Wrecans apperances/actions in the comic... ( He might have even approved of that).

Maybe we could link to the strip in the OP description of the thread?
    Now, Back to Lurking!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    I think I'm going to defer to his wiser judgment in this case, because I'm probably going to keep writing responses and that will only lead to me getting myself in trouble somehow.
    - I should follow this advice more often.

Belkar's Death Countdown best guess: 31/49 days used before Belkar is gone forever more! - updated to morning at 1190!

Hey, its the Blog where I write! Dice Roles

6. - Top - End - #1116
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Ornithologist View Post
    Maybe we could link to the strip in the OP description of the thread?
    This strikes me as a sensible, low-key but fitting thing to do, if we don't go all out and catalogue the thread's appearance in the OP itself, Inception-style.

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.

7. - Top - End - #1117
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

I would suggest considering an entry in the FAQ clarifying Wrecan's appearance in the comic. The reference to the strip can be linked from that, as well as the Giant's news article on the subject.

8. - Top - End - #1118
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Michaeler View Post
    I would suggest considering an entry in the FAQ clarifying Wrecan's appearance in the comic. The reference to the strip can be linked from that, as well as the Giant's news article on the subject.
    This seems like the most sensible course of action to me.

9. - Top - End - #1119

Quote Originally Posted by Michaeler View Post
    I'm just going to third this suggestion.

10. - Top - End - #1120
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yana View Post
    Crediting, not creating.

I was curious as to why Gift Jeraff and Emanick wanted to add an appearance for Number of Character Appearances in the most recent comic.
    Oh, sorry, I missed that part of the discussion entirely.

Gotta agree that "Number of Character Appearances" is definitely not a character and even if it was, it hasn't even been mentioned, let alone appeared.

Not a popular opinion, I'm sure, but I find the deification of Wrecan a little unsettling. He was a nice enough guy who for a few years did a good job of maintaining this thread, but it wasn't like he started the project in the first place, and he eventually quit the whole thing in a massive huff when a couple of people made some perfectly valid observations about the list needing correcting in a few places. I liked the guy, but he's already had the greatest tribute possible paid to him in-comic. Let's not sully his memory by turning him into the forum's very own Princess Diana.

So... how long till we start talking about whether we need another new curator? Despite martianmister's claims, there hasn't been an update to the OP in over six weeks.
    Last edited by Nimrod's Son; 2016-02-24 at 11:47 PM.
    Please write all sarcasm in blue text. All metaphors should be marked in red text and for any split infinitives, please use green. Thank you.

11. - Top - End - #1121

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Nimrod's Son View Post
    he eventually quit the whole thing in a massive huff when a couple of people made some perfectly valid observations about the list needing correcting in a few places.
    Dude. Stop. Let it go. It should perfectly obvious in retrospect that he had bigger worries than our little thread. He wasn't enjoying it anymore, he bowed out. End of.
    Last edited by Fawkes; 2016-02-25 at 12:29 AM.
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Then don't look close.

12. - Top - End - #1122
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

So... how long till we start talking about whether we need another new curator? Despite martianmister's claims, there hasn't been an update to the OP in over six weeks.
    I've said before that I'd be quite interested in taking over the thread if martianmister ever becomes tired of the job or becomes unable to do it - I've been keeping my own parallel index for roughly the last hundred strips, using a somewhat different methodology (and a ton of footnotes), which I think is a decent guarantee that I would be able to do the job. I would, of course, use the current methodology for any hypothetical future thread, unless the community preferred otherwise.

That being said, I don't think any of us would benefit from a petty spat over who maintains the OP, so unless there's a consensus that the thread requires a new curator, I'm not going to be pushing for one.

13. - Top - End - #1123

Imp

Hm... now that I think about it, I'm getting some deja vu here. Has this happened before?
    Show
    Then don't look close.

14. - Top - End - #1124

Quote Originally Posted by Emanick View Post
    I've said before that I'd be quite interested in taking over the thread if martianmister ever becomes tired of the job or becomes unable to do it - I've been keeping my own parallel index for roughly the last hundred strips, using a somewhat different methodology (and a ton of footnotes), which I think is a decent guarantee that I would be able to do the job. I would, of course, use the current methodology for any hypothetical future thread, unless the community preferred otherwise.

That being said, I don't think any of us would benefit from a petty spat over who maintains the OP, so unless there's a consensus that the thread requires a new curator, I'm not going to be pushing for one.

I reckon enough time has passed that you could offer taking over the thread to martianmaster and if you get no reply asking the moderators.
    Ever wondered how many games are mentioned in the comic? I have listed them all in a geeklist: https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/2...es-order-stick

15. - Top - End - #1125

PirateGuy

I, too, agree that this is a problem that needs to be addressed.

16. - Top - End - #1126
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Dude. Stop. Let it go. It should perfectly obvious in retrospect that he had bigger worries than our little thread. He wasn't enjoying it anymore, he bowed out. End of.
    Sorry, I didn't mean to imply I held anything against him. As I said, I liked the guy, but his given reason for quitting the thread was literally that everyone else was making this too much work for him, and he shouldn't have to deal with it any more. If he'd wanted to quit for personal reasons all he had to do was say so; blaming everyone else for ruining his fun wasn't necessary.

But obviously I can see the bigger picture and with hindsight his behaviour is a lot more understandable. He did an excellent job with this thread for years, and if anyone from this forum was ever deserving of such a sweet tribute from Rich then he would certainly be as good a contender as any even if he was still with us. I mean no disrespect whatsoever - I just find it weird seeing such a huge outpouring of virtual grief that often seems to be coming from people who didn't even know him in the first place.
    Please write all sarcasm in blue text. All metaphors should be marked in red text and for any split infinitives, please use green. Thank you.

17. - Top - End - #1127

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Humanist View Post
    I reckon enough time has passed that you could offer taking over the thread to martianmaster and if you get no reply asking the moderators.
    I second this. Emanick, shoot martianmister a PM, and if you don't hear back in, say, a week, send the local moderators a pm. For reference, the moderators for this subforum are kpenguin, Mark Hall, SMEE, Douglas, and Savannah.

In the meantime, we'll keep tallying the appearances. Anyone want to write up an FAQ entry for Q. Why is Wrecan bolded?

Also, I swear we've had this discussion before. Has martianmister disappeared before?
    Last edited by Fawkes; 2016-02-25 at 01:58 PM.
    Show
    Then don't look close.

18. - Top - End - #1128
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Yes, last November.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

19. - Top - End - #1129

Imp

Oh, right, that was during the Great Dwarf Tossing Debate of 2015. And she did the same 'post about an update but not actually make the update' thing before disappearing for 20 days.

We're currently sitting at 19 days since last her post in thread. Yeah, I'm doubling down on Emanick sending her PM now, and contacting the mod team if she's gone another week.
    Show
    Then don't look close.

20. - Top - End - #1130

Just wanted to say--MM has been doing the work of caring for this thread a very long time, now. Stuff happens in life, so a PM can't hurt, but I don't think we need to be too hasty. That's just me.

martianmister--if you're out there, I hope you're doing well.

21. - Top - End - #1131

I'll third Emanick (or anyone else who is interested) PMing martianmister to see if she is still checking PMs and/or still interested in curating.

22. - Top - End - #1132
    Barbarian in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Emanick, I swear you've mentioned it before, but out of curiosity: how does your method differ (if you can go over it quickly)?

(I'd rather not weigh in on the curator question any further because pile-ons are bad times and I don't want to cause things to spiral out of control)

Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Anyone want to write up an FAQ entry for Q. Why is Wrecan bolded?
    'k. How 'bout:
    Spoiler: proposed FAQ
    Show

Q. Why is Wrecan bolded?

Mark Monack, who went by Wrecan on these forums, was the curator of this thread in its second through fourth editions (a total tenure of about six and a half years). In that time he was also a well-respected member of the forums. As discussed in this news post, he died in 2013, and the Giant decided to name a character after him in tribute. He first appeared in strip #986 alongside the kickstarter cameo character, Veldrina. Strip #1025, which appears to be his last major speaking appearance, contains a number of tributes to him. The strip's title, "Mark of Distinction", includes his name. In reference to this thread, he mentions counting the number of times each legacy bearer is mentioned in his book on Weapons of Legacy. He also mentions that he likes to study obscure martial lore, which may be a reference to the Class and Level Geekery thread**, which he also curated in its second through fifth editions. Finally, his exchange with Roy at the end of strip #1025 is in part a means for the Giant to bid farewell to the actual Wrecan, as well as for the readers (and Roy) to bid farewell to the character.

*I'm pretty sure it's possible to link to single news posts, but I don't know how. Does anyone else? (the post in question is the one for 5/18/2015) Thanks Dr. Gamera!
    **We might want to link to that thread somewhere in this bit, either the main thread where I made the note or the ones that Wrecan curated (listed in this post) when they are mentioned.
    Last edited by unbeliever536; 2016-03-03 at 02:07 AM. Reason: entry was ambiguous about when Wrecan's conversation with Roy occured
    Why should a man be scorned if, finding himself in prison, he tries to get out and go home? Or if, when he cannot do so, he thinks and talks about other topics than jailers and prison-walls?

Pokemon:
    Spoiler
    Show

Friend Code: 4484-7979-9172
    DS name: Ben
    In-game name: Lief
    Friend safari: Charmeleon, Pansear, Ninetails

Brew:

23. - Top - End - #1133

Quote Originally Posted by Bird View Post
    Just wanted to say--MM has been doing the work of caring for this thread a very long time, now. Stuff happens in life, so a PM can't hurt, but I don't think we need to be too hasty. That's just me.

martianmister--if you're out there, I hope you're doing well.
    I would second all of this. Anybody who curates an important thread for any length of time deserves gratitude not condemnation when things go belly up.

I have wondered whether some threads could be curated by special accounts. The mods could pass ownership of the thread around as necessary (perhaps on a temporary basis). Perhaps more than one person could have the password.
    Ever wondered how many games are mentioned in the comic? I have listed them all in a geeklist: https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/2...es-order-stick

24. - Top - End - #1134
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Life gets in the way and all that but if you're the moderator for a community project it's not much to ask that you at least leave a "I won't update for a while" before dissapearing for weeks on end. She's barely here and even when she is she's not updating the OP. PM her. Giving her a week is generous.

25. - Top - End - #1135

Quote Originally Posted by LinkBoy View Post
    Life gets in the way and all that but if you're the moderator for a community project it's not much to ask that you at least leave a "I won't update for a while" before dissapearing for weeks on end. She's barely here and even when she is she's not updating the OP. PM her. Giving her a week is generous.

That may all be true or not. However please show us which long-term threads you have moderated.

26. - Top - End - #1136
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Humanist View Post
    That may all be true or not. However please show us which long-term threads you have moderated.
    None, and the "if you can't do it any better then you're not allowed to critisise" argument is as bull as ever.

27. - Top - End - #1137

Quote Originally Posted by LinkBoy View Post
    None, and the "if you can't do it any better then you're not allowed to critisise" argument is as bull as ever.
    I was not saying you aren't allowed to criticise. I was just pointing out you do not know what it is like to run this thread. Everyone is agreed things are breaking down here and action needs to be taken, but some understanding and sympathy for the stresses involved would be appropriate.

28. - Top - End - #1138

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by unbeliever536 View Post
    'k. How 'bout:
    Show

Q. Why is Wrecan bolded?

Mark Monack, who went by Wrecan on these forums, was the curator of this thread in its second through fourth editions (a total tenure of about six and a half years). In that time he was also a well-respected member of the forums. As discussed in this* news post, he died in 2013, and the Giant decided to name a character after him in tribute. He first appeared in strip #986 alongside the kickstarter cameo character, Veldrina. Strip #1025, which appears to be his last major speaking appearance, contains a number of tributes to him. The strip's title, "Mark of Distinction", includes his name. In reference to this thread, he mentions counting the number of times each legacy bearer is mentioned in his book on Weapons of Legacy. He also mentions that he likes to study obscure martial lore, which may be a reference to the Class and Level Geekery thread**, which he also curated in its second through fifth editions. Finally, his exchange with Roy at the end of the comic is in part a means for the Giant to bid farewell to the actual Wrecan, as well as for the readers (and Roy) to bid farewell to the character.

*I'm pretty sure it's possible to link to single news posts, but I don't know how. Does anyone else? (the post in question is the one for 5/18/2015)
    **We might want to link to that thread somewhere in this bit, either the main thread where I made the note or the ones that Wrecan curated (listed in this post) when they are mentioned.
    I'm just not sure about the reference to the C&LG thread, but I don't think it's totally absurd either. Other than that, this seems like a pretty good entry to me.

edit: and I don't think it's possible to link to individual news posts, as the Giant himself links to the general news page and then specifies the date when talking about a specific entry (such as when explaining the Wrecan situation), and well, I'd think he'd know the way around his own site.
    Last edited by SirKazum; 2016-02-26 at 07:11 AM.

29. - Top - End - #1139
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SirKazum View Post
    edit: and I don't think it's possible to link to individual news posts, as the Giant himself links to the general news page and then specifies the date when talking about a specific entry (such as when explaining the Wrecan situation), and well, I'd think he'd know the way around his own site.
    Surprise! Here's an individual news post link.

Note: it obviously will only work until this news post is moved to the next page of news posts, but that is likely to be a couple of years from now.
    Last edited by Dr. Gamera; 2016-02-26 at 09:15 AM.

30. - Top - End - #1140

Imp

Emanick, I swear you've mentioned it before, but out of curiosity: how does your method differ (if you can go over it quickly)?
    Quote Originally Posted by Emanick View Post
    FWIW, the main difference between this thread and my methodology is that I rank characters by the total number of pages of any kind they've appeared on, whether they're in the first page of a strip, a later page of the same strip, or in a bonus comic. I also count every appearance of the High Priest of Hel as both an appearance of him and one of Durkon, which I don't believe martianmister does.

How 'bout:
    Show

Q. Why is Wrecan bolded?

Mark Monack, who went by Wrecan on these forums, was the curator of this thread in its second through fourth editions (a total tenure of about six and a half years). In that time he was also a well-respected member of the forums. As discussed in this* news post, he died in 2013, and the Giant decided to name a character after him in tribute. He first appeared in strip #986 alongside the kickstarter cameo character, Veldrina. Strip #1025, which appears to be his last major speaking appearance, contains a number of tributes to him. The strip's title, "Mark of Distinction", includes his name. In reference to this thread, he mentions counting the number of times each legacy bearer is mentioned in his book on Weapons of Legacy. He also mentions that he likes to study obscure martial lore, which may be a reference to the Class and Level Geekery thread**, which he also curated in its second through fifth editions. Finally, his exchange with Roy at the end of the comic is in part a means for the Giant to bid farewell to the actual Wrecan, as well as for the readers (and Roy) to bid farewell to the character.

*I'm pretty sure it's possible to link to single news posts, but I don't know how. Does anyone else? (the post in question is the one for 5/18/2015)
    I like it.
    Show
    Then don't look close.