New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: "Murder, Lies and Civic Duty." a Pathfinder Campaign Journal

So so so cool. This was the Trigunest update yet!
    amazing avatar of my favorite character, Gheera, by Pesimismrocks

2. - Top - End - #212
    Bugbear in the Playground

Heh, thankya. I always aspire to Vashness.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter_Wolf View Post
    At least we can say Kid Jake has style. And possibly is insane.
    My Campaign Journals

3. - Top - End - #213
    Barbarian in the Playground

I am confused was to what makes this update Triguny. Did I not watch far enough into the series to see it or did I just forget something.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: Spoiler for Trigun
    Show
    The 8 in this campaign immediately brought to mind The Gung-Ho Guns from Trigun

I love enemy teams like that. Each member super flavorful and unique and deadly.

5. - Top - End - #215

Yar. I see The 8 as somewhere between the Guns, the Ginyu Force and FOXHOUND. Half the members are pretty much just in it because they get a kick out of travelling the world and blowing crap up.

My Campaign Journals

6. - Top - End - #216
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    the Ginyu Force
    The TFS version I hope.
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

7. - Top - End - #217

Quote Originally Posted by (Un)Inspired View Post
    Spoiler: Spoiler for Trigun
    Show
    The 8 in this campaign immediately brought to mind The Gung-Ho Guns from Trigun

I love enemy teams like that. Each member super flavorful and unique and deadly.
    Spoiler
    Show
    You mean that group of mercenaries that had a person named Cyclops who had a fancy eye with an illusion ability?

8. - Top - End - #218

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Portent View Post
    The TFS version I hope.
    Naturally.

Spoiler
    Show
    One of the founders, and what I hope to be highlights, of the group is a brutish pretty boy that spends a considerable portion of his free time just staring smugly at himself in the mirror and practicing his dramatic poses.

My Campaign Journals

9. - Top - End - #219

Quote Originally Posted by GorinichSerpant View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    You mean that group of mercenaries that had a person named Cyclops who had a fancy eye with an illusion ability?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yar that's the one.

My Campaign Journals

10. - Top - End - #220

We had another session last Friday and I've been procrastinating on writing it up. Finally got the first half or so finished, hope you enjoy.

Spoiler
    Show
    We pick up where we left off last time. Eadric is basically one big, bed-ridden bruise and the town is freaking out. There was only one casualty from Dolph's assault, but without Eadric's suicidal gambit there's no telling what the mercenary would have done.

Having just stolen Dolph's soul as part of his deal with Barque, Kavos decides that he needs to do what he can to salvage this situation. He leaves Eadric to rest and seeks out Elder Hadran, who's doing what he can to calm the jittery townspeople.

Kavos assures each and every one of them that he has this under control and that Horace's sacrifice will be long remembered. He even gifts Horace's younger sister, and only surviving relative, with 100 gold from Ro'than'dur's hoard to help out financially during this trying time.

Between the sum that would've taken her brother [i]years[/] to come close to accumulating and Kavos's insistence that Horace was the true hero of the day, she is considerably overwhelmed and throws her arms around him in a fresh burst of tears.

Kavos comforts her for a time, but eventually has to excuse himself to check on Eadric.

He discovers the battered Kobold resting in bed and pulls a chair up next to him. "Eadric...I just wanted to apologize for the way I treated you when you first arrived. I treated your appointment as something of a joke..but you saved us all yesterday. If you hadn't been here, we would have all been ruined."

Still so swollen that he can barely move, Eadric just smiles smugly. "Well...yeah." he agrees with a nod.

Spoiler
    Show
    Most of the day is spent resting or tending to the town's needs, as night begins to fall however things pick up considerably. A chorus of panicked shouts ring across town and bring Kavos and the limping form of Eadric out to investigate.

"What's going on?" Eadric shouts irritably.

"The fish people! The fish people are attacking!" a fresh faced militiaman replies, gesturing towards the river where a mass of blue scaled creatures are dragging themselves out of the water and shuffling towards the town's walls.

The poor lighting and the creatures' dark coloration makes determining numbers difficult, but they estimate several dozen at least. At first Kavos suspects treachery, but remembers that the orange scaled locathah are the warriors; the smaller, blue scaled variety seemed to be slaves. Not the most likely choice to lead an invasion.

Of course, Kavos suddenly remembers something that the blue scaled locathah had that the orange didn't...unsupervised time with Gandil. It requires focus, but he notices that most of their attackers are missing chunks of scales and the ones they do have seem dull and mottled.

"Ghouls!" Kavos shouts, leaping off the wall followed by the groaning Eadric.

The horde is advancing steadily, but slowly. The creatures are unsuited for life on land, but have a worrying enthusiasm all the same. Both Kavos and Eadric take this opportunity to pour what healing they have into the kobold and they managed to get Eadric back up to half health and relieve the worst of his injuries.

Eadric and Kavos inch towards the river, keeping their eyes on the amphibious ghouls every step of the way. The slavering horde is comically slow, barely shuffling towards them and they take the opportunity to position themselves.

As the ghouls grow closer Eadric releases his acidic breath into the trunk of an ancient tree, catching three of the reanimated locathah in his blast and liquefies them almost completely. The tree sags a bit, but stays upright. Kavos Commands Undead and seizes a trio of ghouls near the front of the horde, turning them against their fellows to slow their advance even more.

The horde continues its steady pace and though a handful stop to attack Kavos's stolen ghouls, the majority simply push past them in search of prey.

Eadric charges and performs a dramatic jump kick into the weakened trunk of the damaged tree; the whole thing groans as it slowly topples over, crushing several more ghouls outright and pinning three others. Kavos's ghouls manage to drag down a pair of hostile ghouls between them before they are torn apart in turn, while Kavos himself brings his walking stick down on the head of a pinned ghoul, attempting to finish it off without much luck.

More of the blue scaled ghouls begin to drag themselves out of the river, however they are pulled back beneath the water instead. Eadric shouts a warning for Kavos to haul ass away from the tree and the second the elderly priest stumbles clear, he quaffs a potion of fire breath and sets the whole thing ablaze.

A group of four ghouls charge the distracted Kavos, however he uses Command Undead again and turns them against each other. The fighting is brief, but brutal and the wounded survivors are ordered into the flames. A large ghoul lunges for Eadric, but the kobold easily dodges its clumsy grapple attempt and caves in its skull with a leaping roundhouse kick.

As the trickle of ghouls dries up, and blue scaled corpses begin surfacing and floating downstream, five orange scaled locathah wielding spears climb out of the water. Kavos calls out for Eadric not to engage them, that these locathah are allies.

Eadric responds with a thumbs up and a burst of fiery breath that reduces a group of three ghouls to ashes. Kavos seizes control of yet more ghouls, using them as a barrier between himself and the horde; while the orange scaled locathah shuffle forward at full speed to render what assistance they may.

Kavos continues directing groups of ghouls against themselves as Eadric throws himself headlong into the fray, leaving battered and broken corpses in his wake. The orange locathah pick off stragglers as they catch them and Longarm, along with Devon and Looman, emerge from the town to help hold the line.

It's going pretty well until one of the ghouls finally manages to nick Eadric and sends him toppling to the ground, muscles locked in paralysis. No longer a blur of motion, five other ghouls take the opportunity to sink their claws and teeth into the helpless kobold. In a single turn he goes from nearly 40 hp to around 3. He's got three more turns before the paralysis fades...it doesn't look hopeful.

Kavos turns the ghouls closest to Eadric against their kin, hoping to buy him a few moments while the hidden imp Hezrael casts Floating Disk from the sidelines and uses it to slowly maneuver Eadric away from the horde and towards the orange scaled locathah who seem to be pleased that their enemies are now coming towards them.

Within another two rounds the last of the hostile ghouls have fallen and Kavos casts his dominated handful into the flames once more. The remaining locathah seem out of breath and not a single one speaks common.

They briefly attempt pantomime before Hezrael telepathically steps in as an interpreter and explains that the ghouls overran the Tso'cha quarantine, but they insist they have things under control now. Kavos expresses his gratitude, before indicating the mountains and informing the locathah they the town will be relocating shortly.

The locathah reply that the Asch'al will devour themselves shortly and the situation will settle itself, but Kavos explains that West Bank has other enemies and that this must be goodbye for now. The locathah bow deep and return to the comfort of the river once more.

Kavos returns home, his mind racing. Eadric weakly rolls of his Disk and just lays in the mud; figuring that the locathah have the situation in hand and that this is as good a place to rest and/or die as any.

Spoiler
    Show
    Settling into his room, Kavos casts Sending directed at the bone devil Cain. The message is simple: "Hope you’re enjoying your time here. I have a job only one of your esteem could help with."

"I'm always eager for new business opportunities. I'll be there shortly." Cain replies.

Taking a deep breath, Kavos sits down and writes up a contract of his own as he waits for the bone devil to appear. As if on cue, Cain shows up just as the last i is dotted and t crossed.

"So, you have need of my services?" Cain asks, amusement twinkling in his predatory eyes.

"A simple matter, for one such as you, but I need this settled quickly." Kavos replies. "I need mercenaries, the bloodiest most barbaric brigands you can find to be exact, and I need them to burn this town to the ground. I need this done within the week."

Cain's amusement grows. "I can have them here by morning."

"No, that's too soon." Kavos says with a shake of his head."The townspeople have to be ready to leave or we'll actually be ruined. I only need them to to THINK that we're losing ground. In truth we're trading up; it's just harder to have second thoughts when your home has been turned to ashes."

Cain nods. "Anything else?"

"I need Barque and his men released to me for a time, disguised as humans." Kavos explains.

"Naturally. Wouldn't want the taint of Hell in your town, after all." Cain says mockingly.

Kavos shakes his head. "I want them marked with the symbols of Asmodeus."

Cain seems a little taken aback by this. "Oh?" he asks curiously.

"Pelor has been taking credit for this town's successes for too long, it's well past time time we open their eyes to their true benefactor. The bandits will pursue us to the keep where they'll, unknown to them, be slain by noble knights in the service of Asmodeous, seeking to restore order." Kavos explains. "We'll hesitantly invite our saviors in to rest and they will slowly teach us their ways."

Cain chuckles darkly. "An interesting plan. Shouldn't take more than an afternoon to arrange...though I believe you've left out the most important part. What's in it for me?"

"I imagine you want more than gold." Kavos replies.

Cain nods slowly. "Gold is such a trivial thing, I don't deal in it if I can help it. But a favor? I could get behind that."

"What sort of favor?" Kavos asks.

"An afternoon's work, at my convenience. It's only fair, right?" Cain replies.

It takes a moment, but Kavos finally nods and they exchange contracts. Kavos's lays out that the mercenaries are to use blunt weapons and torches only to avoid unnecessary injury and that their dealings are to be kept secret; as well as outlines a time frame for when what should happen. Cain's simply confirms that he's owed six hours of services from Kavos when he's called upon.

They sign their respective documents which are whisked away in a puff of smoke to Hell's archives for safe keeping.

"A pleasure as always." Kavos says, setting aside his pen.

"Likewise. Good luck with your little scam." Cain replies, gone almost as suddenly as he arrived.

My Campaign Journals

11. - Top - End - #221
    Troll in the Playground

About time Kavos got around to some debt inducing disguised devil duplicity.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Pixie in the Playground

About time Kavos got around to some debt inducing disguised devil duplicity.
    My thoughts exactly.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Troll in the Playground

Fantastic update. I can't believe we're about to see the end of Westbank.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Pixie in the Playground

The end of Westbank, the beginning of Bestbank.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kavos D. View Post
    The end of Westbank, the beginning of Bestbank.
    I hope to Godiva that's gonna be the name of the new town.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Pixie in the Playground

I hope to Godiva that's gonna be the name of the new town.
    Might be peculiar considering there are no nearby river banks lol.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Troll in the Playground

Might be peculiar considering there are no nearby river banks lol.
    Maybe the town just has a really great savings and loans office.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Troll in the Playground

If you're going to found a new town based around a cult of Asmodeus located in a ghoul haunted area with the nearby forests ruled by an evil unicorn surely it needs a nice melodramatic name like Infernum, Fiendheim, Evilburgh or New Doomshire.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Pixie in the Playground

Maybe the town just has a really great savings and loans office.
    Lol.

In all seriousness though, having Kavos run a bank and loan enterprise doesn't sound that bad. Opens up opportunities for especially desperate contracts. Authoritarian society with a government run bank? Now that is evil.

As for the name of Blackstone Keep, I was thinking of changing it to Kandil Keep, or Keep Dasgrandil once we've settled there. Some sort of name fusion of Kavos and Gandil to perpetuate that Gandil was a hero.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Pixie in the Playground

If you're going to found a new town based around a cult of Asmodeus located in a ghoul haunted area with the nearby forests ruled by an evil unicorn surely it needs a nice melodramatic name like Infernum, Fiendheim, Evilburgh or New Doomshire.
    Ooooh, this makes me really like "Kandil Keep"

Asmodeus is the paragon of order, and all that is lawful, so Kandil Keep would sound like the beacon of hope, the lone candle in the dark. Any unwary travelers unfamiliar with the town would flock to it in hopes of shelter and would be unprepared for anything devious.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Troll in the Playground

As for the name of Blackstone Keep, I was thinking of changing it to Kandil Keep, or Keep Dasgrandil once we've settled there. Some sort of name fusion of Kavos and Gandil to perpetuate that Gandil was a hero.
    Why not Gandil's Guard? It's more humble than Kavos involving his own name would be, which is always great for that deception based spin doctoring and propaganda. Plus it keeps the alliteration.

It would also be suitable to include a tribute to Longarm somewhere so as to shift some of the heroic associations onto the undead brought back by Asmodeus to serve in the defence of the town, just in case more need to be made later.

22. - Top - End - #232

I'll try and get the rest written out soon. Been having a lot of distractions lately that's delayed my usual pace. Does seem a little sad to be abandoning West Bank, but it was always inevitable; only so far a small town can take you.

Personally, I'd go the opposite direction: Something like Mt Pleasant, just to throw people.

My Campaign Journals

23. - Top - End - #233
    Pixie in the Playground

Why not Gandil's Guard? It's more humble than Kavos involving his own name would be, which is always great for that deception based spin doctoring and propaganda. Plus it keeps the alliteration.

It would also be suitable to include a tribute to Longarm somewhere so as to shift some of the heroic associations onto the undead brought back by Asmodeus to serve in the defence of the town, just in case more need to be made later.
    Whenever I make a major decision as Kavos I like to ask, "What would the confident, arrogant, pompous person do, while also trying to hide the fact that hes any of those things?" Sure, he would like to see himself as humble, but when he can tag onto anything to further his own reputation, he'll do it. Attaching your name to something important is probably the easiest way of doing that.

I haven't really gone into detail with anyone about Kavos' personality or traits, but probably the most important thing about Kavos though, is that he's grandiose. I don't try to make it painfully obvious quite yet, because how grandiose can you be as a lower level PC? :P
    but things like throwing money around, only drinking wine, wearing what he does (Which I think I've only really mentioned once.), and remaining arrogantly confident (insulting Ro'than'dur to his face, managing to break his way into hell, making major deals as if they're nothing) is how I've gone about doing it so far.

The main pillars that I base Kavos are:
    He's confident, but calm.
    He's arrogant, but generous.
    He's pompous, but patient.
    He's welcoming, but vindictive.

Longarm's Reach sounds especially poetic. No idea what it'd be the name of though Maybe the region?
    Last edited by Kavos D.; 2015-04-17 at 03:28 PM.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Troll in the Playground

Whenever I make a major decision as Kavos I like to ask, "What would the confident, arrogant, pompous person do, while also trying to hide the fact that hes any of those things?" Sure, he would like to see himself as humble, but when he can tag onto anything to further his own reputation, he'll do it. Attaching your name to something important is probably the easiest way of doing that.

I haven't really gone into detail with anyone about Kavos' personality or traits, but probably the most important thing about Kavos though, is that he's grandiose. I don't try to make it painfully obvious quite yet, because how grandiose can you be as a lower level PC? :P
    but things like throwing money around, only drinking wine, wearing what he does (Which I think I've only really mentioned once.), and remaining arrogantly confident (insulting Ro'than'dur to his face, managing to break his way into hell, making major deals as if they're nothing) is how I've gone about doing it so far.

The main pillars that I base Kavos are:
    He's confident, but calm.
    He's arrogant, but generous.
    He's pompous, but patient.
    He's welcoming, but vindictive.

Longarm's Reach sounds especially poetic. No idea what it'd be the name of though Maybe the region?
    How about a castle named after Gandil, rename the mountains after Longarm, the town after Kavos and the region after Asmodeus?

Big statues of them all where appropriate of course.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Pixie in the Playground

How about a castle named after Gandil, rename the mountains after Longarm, the town after Kavos and the region after Asmodeus?

Big statues of them all where appropriate of course.
    I just can't pass up on Kandil Keep. Its got the alliteration, the perfect imagery of being the beacon of hope in a dark place due to being a heterograph to "candle", the name fusion, the whole 9.

The mountainous area that the keep is located in goes perfectly with being named "Longarm's Reach".

That takes care of Gandil, Kavos, and Longarm... Asmodeus though, hard name to put in geography.
    Exodus Asmodeus
    Oculatum Asmodeus
    Asmodia
    De Jure Kingdom of Asmodeus
    The Land of Asmodean Theocracy (lol...)
    Hell 2.0
    Domain of the Dark Prince

26. - Top - End - #236

Alright, finally got the rest of our last session typed up. Hope you all enjoy.

Spoiler
    Show
    Eadric finds himself in the kobold warren of his youth, sharing quarters with dozens more of his kind. He glances around in a state of confusion, finding the area covered with mud and something that smells distinctly NOT like mud.

Before he can make sense of his surroundings, a call comes out signifying that meal time has began. Like always, he seems to be completely trampled by hundreds of other kobolds scrabbling for mere scraps. He's stepped on, knocked down and even bit; eventually the meal is over without him scoring so much as a taste.

As Eadric returns to his quarters, stomach growling, he begins to realize that the warren no longer looks so familiar. It twists and turns in odd directions, severely enough to make him dizzy and scrawled along the walls is the number 8 repeated again and again.

As Eadric stumbles around an unfamiliar corner, he spots a creature more than six foot tall wrapped in a black cloak, with purple rubbery skin and thick tentacles protruding from its face and nearly reaching its waist.

Eadric starts to take a step back as the creature drools in anticipation and lunges forward, extending both its humanlike hands and monstrous tentacles to snatch Eadric off his feet. The panicked kobold struggles feebly, clawing at the vice like tentacles closing around his throat. He thrashes and twists and gasps for air before realizing he woke himself up.

Glancing around, he realizes that its morning and the usual sounds of the village have been replaced with terrified whispers. Several people in town had similar dreams and four died in their sleep, apparently having strangled themselves to death.

Eadric feels worse than when he went to sleep, but he staggers to Rambalt's house and lets himself in, finding the workaholic mage in his lab putting the final touches on a vicious looking metallic skull almost as large as himself and filled with dagger like teeth.

Eadric is mesmerized for a moment, but snaps out of it and asks Rambalt if he's had any strange dreams.

Rambalt shakes his head "No stranger than usual. I have heard they're going around though. Why do you ask?"

"Because a dream tried to kill me." Eadric replies, quickly explaining about the rash of deaths happening just outside.

Rambalt stops in his tracks. "That's...interesting. Some people ARE capable of affecting others through their dreams, however few have this degree of control."

"Do you know how to defend against it?" Eadric asks.

Rambalt shakes his head. "That's a very specific request. It shouldn't take me more than a day or two to figure something out, but it's never even occurred to me to worry about an attack like this."

"I'm going to check in with the unicorn, see what it knows about such magic." Eadric replies. "Keep at what you're doing. I'll handle the dream invader."

Spoiler
    Show
    Eadric seeks out Kavos and compares notes.

"It's Farakim." Kavos replies. "Another member of The 8 and the next problem on our to do list."

"How do you know?" Eadric asks.

"It was Dolph's last words. He saw my bruises and decided to gloat." Kavos explains. "I heard the commotion when I woke up and prepared Divination today. Give me a moment and I will know all there is to know about our new friend."

Eadric shakes his head. "You can waste your time playing 20 Questions if you want, I'm going to track down a lead and see if I can find a way to defend us against this monster come nightfall."

Without sticking around to argue about it, Eadric and his 3 remaining hp snatch a horse and take off at a full gallop towards the unicorn, leaving Kavos simply shaking his head.

The elderly cleric prepares his room for the long haul and casts his spell, asking "Who will be able to give us the most information on Farakim, besides Dolph?"

"Salish." comes the reply.

"Who is Salish?" Kavos asks, casting a second spell.

"One of the three founders." is the reply.

A little confused by this, Kavos slowly asks "Where is Salish?"

"Right here chief." calls out a cheerful voice from behind Kavos. As the aging cleric spins around he finds that the voice belongs to a tall, well built elf with twinkling blue eyes and a small, flame shaped scar over his right eye. His finely tailored clothes SCREAM expensive though the way he wears them suggests they're more for broadcasting wealth than indicative of his tastes.

"Salish..." Kavos says with a respectful incline of his head, keeping his composure. "I thought Farakim was to be my next opponent."

"He is." the elf replies, glancing around the room and wrinkling his nose at the rather spartan conditions. "The Beast is already on the way. It looks like they're taking the initiative on their own... Of course, that's sort of the problem isn't it?" Salish says with a sigh. "Me and my brothers are stirring up real business and these penny pinchers are taking bounties." he loudly whispers, hand to mouth in a conspiratorial manner.

Kavos pours himself a glass of wine. "So...you're not here to kill me?" he asks hesitantly.

"Hey, now that's an idea!" Salish says with a laugh that dies out mid-stride. "Kill yourself." he instructs Kavos with a voice that seems to cut the cleric to his core.

Every fiber of Kavos's being urges him to squeeze his own throat until the life leaves him and it takes every ounce of his willpower to avoid giving in. The exertion causes Kavos to collapse into his chair, panting like he's run a foot race.

Salish snaps his fingers half-heartedly. "Looks like you live." he says with a chuckle. "They only get the one freebie, they're going to have to do it themselves now. I mostly just wanted to get a look at the guy that killed Dolph."

Steadying his breath, Kavos reaches for his glass of wine and replies "Dolph killed himself by coming here. I hope you'll make better decisions."

Salish cackles good naturedly. "You hear this guy Samiel? He's got balls!" he half-shouts, glancing over his shoulder as if looking up at a man significantly taller than himself. Returning his gaze to Kavos, Salish shakes his head. "We're leaving this to the kids to clean up. They wanted to prove something, they're either going to prove it or die trying."

"We don't have to fight." Kavos says. "Dolph said you'd have to raze the town to make up for us defeating one of your members...we're razing it ourselves. There won't be a scrap of West Bank left. The 8's record would remain clean...nobody would know."

"Oh buddy...that's kinda cheating." Salish says, clicking his tongue disapprovingly. "We'd know. I really expected more out of the guy that killed Dolph, as useless as he was, we're all hoping for big things from you guys."

"I guess you can say I am a cheater." Kavos replies coldly, "Cheaters usually win."

"A man after my own heart!" Salish says, his smile splitting his face amiably; before being dashed into a sigh of irritation. He strains his neck until he's looking straight up. "Yeah Kuran, I know. I'm telling him."

Kavos raises an eyebrow curiously as Salish continues staring up.

"Look, do you want to do this?" Salish asks whoever it is hovering above him. "No? Then shoo! You break sh**, I talk sh**. That's the division of labor... I KNOW you wanted it to be The 3, but that's stupid. Who would we boss around if it was just us?" Salish seems to get cut off a time or two as Kavos looks on. "Are we really doing this now? With this guy watching? Look, if you're bored then why don't you and Samiel go and torment the hobgoblins?"

Salish looks as if he's watching somebody leave and then turns back to Kavos. "We've been doing this a long, long time and nobody ever brings anything to do during a cease fire... "

Kavos looks at the apparent madman nervously. "How about we ignore Kuran and do this like gentlemen? Surely there must be a middle ground that we can reach amicably? I have a proposition for you."

It's Salish's turn to raise an eyebrow curiously.

"Your organization seems to be a member short. How about I join your 9 and we all win?" Kavos asks.

"An interesting proposal." Salish agrees. "Of course, you'll have to pass an initiation."

Kavos smiles to himself. "No group is complete without an initiation."

"In addition to Farakim, there is another operative in the area." Salish says with a wink. "You and your partner take 'em out so we can make sure it wasn't a fluke. I mean, beating Dolph was impressive; but he was sort of an idiot so I gotta deduct points."

"I assume you don't want us to kill them?" Kavos replies.

"Ya gotta kill one." Salish says. "You and your partner are a packaged deal at this point and this ain't The 9, it's The 8 and there's no such thing as an ex-member. Put one of 'em in the ground and let the other go after you're through with him."

"Which are you more fond of?" Kavos asks.

"Well...Rosh has that cool lone wolf vibe about him, but Farakim is more exotic. I mean there's only like six like him left in the world and he looks damned cool in the team portrait....I'll say don't kill Farakim."

Kavos nods. "Now we simply have to wait for them to surface...assuming they surface after what happened to Dolph."

Salish grins. "Oh, they'll show up. You accept a contract representing The 8 and you have three options: Complete job, get paid. Die on job, get replaced. Reneg on job and become one of Samiel's creepy ass meat puppets."

Kavos nods. "Right...contract. The Duke, I presume?"

Salish shrugs. "I haven't seen the contract yet, so I don't know. Whoever wanted you dead, wanted you REALLY dead because we don't come cheap. Anyway, I'm off...deposing somebody or other, wo it'll be some time before you hear from me again. Good luck on the first part of your initiation!"

Kavos waves goodbye as the image of Salish fades away and then slumps into his chair, breathing a sigh of relief. He downs his glass of wine to steady his shaking nerves and asks himself what the hell he just got involved with.

Spoiler
    Show
    When Eadric reaches the unicorn's clearing, he's shocked to discover that it's apparently been deserted. He scans the area for droppings or signs of activity, but finds nothing. It seems to have been several days since the grove has been used.

Eadric doubles his effort, searching for any clue where the unicorn or his beasts may have gone, when he suddenly notices an older orcish woman standing before him; dressed in black crows feathers.

Eadric tenses up, but tries to remain polite. "Hello. My name is Eadric...and you are?"

The orcish woman appears emaciated and wild eyed, she takes step forward and asks "You the one gave the unicorn the statue?"

Eadric nods with a pained sigh. "I cannot deny that it was my mistake. One that I hope to atone for... What do you know of the statue or the unicorn's location?"

"It was a blessing!" she half sputters. "The beast has abandoned its worshipers for whatever magic your idol holds. None have seen it in days!"

"The unicorn just left the wolves?" Eadric asks incredulously.

The orc nods. "It carried its prize away and forbade any to follow. My brothers and sisters are away from its influence for the first time in years. Perhaps now they will see its true nature..."

"I am truly happy for you and your people," Eadric says. "But I need to find the unicorn. Do you have any information as to where he is?"

The orc shakes her head. "The beast has control of the forest, not even we may follow if it wishes us left behind. I cannot help you in this and would not if I could. The unicorn should be forgotten, like the rest of his race."

Eadric nods. " I understand, though West Bank needs the unicorn's idol. I ask that you leave mt to my search, even if you won't assist."

The orc nods and fades back into the brush. "I won't interfere, but the beast should be forgotten..."

Eadric watches her disappear before his eyes before combing the grove looking for hoof prints. Finding none, he decides to press through the brush in the direction he's seen the unicorn go.

He continues searching and finds the faintest outline of a massive hoof, it seems strange that such a hulking creature would leave such a light track.

Eadric downs an invisibility extract and continues along his way, finding almost nothing of note. Eventually, he stumbles upon a smaller but much deeper hoof print and begins following it. He finds what appears to be singed twigs and begins smelling faint traces smoke in the air.

Stumbling through the forest for what seems like ever, he finally hears the sounds of exertion beyond a line of trees. Downing his last Invisibility extract, Eadric sneaks forward; coming face to face with that which man was never meant to see...

Coming into a small clearing, Eadric discovers the mighty unicorn in mid-copulation with a Nightmare. The much smaller, extra-planar horse is obviously uncomfortable but doesn't resist the unicorn's efforts. Nine more seemingly 'spent' Nightmares are standing around the clearing. The unicorn seems too focused on what he's doing to so much as avert his eyes.

Eadric watches in horrified fascination as the unicorn finishes up, before shaking off and selecting another Nightmare to begin the process over again with.

The unicorn's eyes are weary and bloodshot, it seems to be driving itself well beyond the point of exhaustion. Eadric is unsure how to proceed, but finally settles on clearing his throat loudly...which does nothing.

"Unicorn!" Eadric finally calls out.

The beast glances around frantically for a moment, before remembering that it really doesn't care what the kobold thinks of it and returns to its business. "What do you want, dragon-whelp?" it asks irritably.

"A number of West Bank's citizens are being tormented in their sleep by a demon named Farakim. Some have even died from these visitations. I wish to know information on how to stop this from happening." Eadric says.

The unicorn's breathing is labored and its eyes are wild and sleep deprived as it replies "We don't deal with such trickery as dream magic. You waste your time dragon-whelp."

"Then I seek council with your Fire Idol. Surely you cannot be overjoyed with demons invading the land?" Eadric asks.

"It hasn't bothered out flock." the unicorn replies. "Besides, the Idol is currently...predisposed. Too busy for questions."

Eadric shakes his head in disgust. "The demon WILL come for you eventually unicorn, and you just said you have no defense against it. Assist me now, or by the time Farakim strikes you; it'll be too late."

The unicorn is quiet for a moment, Eadric assumes it's thinking its position over...however eventually it shudders and climbs off its partner, eliciting another disturbed shake of the head from Eadric.

"What will you offer it?" the unicorn asks. "It does nothing for free."

Eadric's mouth gapes slightly as he remembers the Idol's price. "Who did YOU sacrifice for your wish unicorn?" the kobold asks, horrified.

"Who can remember names?" the unicorn asks. "They screamed little. It was a clean death and a worthy cause, may we all meet our end under such circumstances."

"You sacrificed one of your own?" Eadric demands. "A druid!?"

"One of our own?" the unicorn asks with a bitter laugh. "No...not our own. OUR own perished defending the forest. WE sacrificed one of the hangers on, the parasites. The druids need us, far more than we need them. They always have. What worth is one of their lives, compared to the rebirth of our people? What value does the flock hold, when held against the shepherds?"

Eadric is speechless at the unicorn's utter callousness. "I...I have a sacrifice unicorn. Take me to the Idol."

The unicorn shrugs, figuring it needs a rest anyway, and leads Eadric away from the exhausted nightmares. They walk in a strange winding pattern for what seems like the better part of an hour before the unicorn presses through a bush to reveal the Idol.

"Well...well...well. You've come back." the Idol gloats in Eadric's mind.

"I have." Eadric replies. "Don't tell me I'm the first to refuse your temptations."

"You didn't refuse." the Idol reminds Eadric. "You sacrificed your kin and then tracked me down a second time to beg for my assistance. You've chased me harder than most."

Eadric grits his teeth in shame and irritation. He explains about Farakim.

"And you want my protection?" the Idol asks with a laugh. "My price is steep little kobold. Can you pay it?"

Eadric smirks. "How about I name the price? I believe you'll be pleased."

"Oh? What would you offer me?" the Idol asks.

"I offer you the soul of Farakim himself. A fitting sacrifice for one of your stature." Eadric says with a grin.

"Pass." the Idol replies immediately, knocking the wind from Eadric's sails. "That's so...impersonal. I'd rather have...two fingers. I'll even be sporting and let you decide which of your hands they come from."

Eadric stands there, simply stunned into silence.

"You say that kin is too high of a price. What about yourself?" the Idol gloats.

"You....you'd be so PETTY as to have me permanently maim myself, rather than have a powerful demon be your sacrifice?" Eadric asks.

"Yes...yes, I believe I am." the Idol replies. "Where is the sacrifice in giving me your enemy? How does THAT prove your devotion?"

"But..surely the power that would come from-" Eadric starts but is cut off.

"You think I care for power? I want amusement. I want devotion. I want gifts which mean FAR more to you, than they do to me." the Idol explains.

Eadric stands there in stunned silence. He looks at the Idol helplessly, then down at his expertly trained hands and back again. Eadric tries to make a pithy retort to put the Idol in its place but can't seem to find the words, so he just stands there shuddering with rage and desperation.

"Tick...tock." the Idol gloats. "I don't have all day."

My Campaign Journals

27. - Top - End - #237

While is the Kobold on such low hit points threw out the adventure? Isn't there a cleric around that can heal him up?

28. - Top - End - #238

Quote Originally Posted by GorinichSerpant View Post
    While is the Kobold on such low hit points threw out the adventure? Isn't there a cleric around that can heal him up?
    I often wonder if he's just wanting a new character. He has a habit of rushing off before anyone can help him and even has a CLW extract up his sleeve that he seems to be hanging onto for a rainy day.

My Campaign Journals

29. - Top - End - #239
    Ogre in the Playground

Half-nightmare/Half-unicorns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Raven777 View Post
    Sorcerers are also based on Charisma. If a Wizard studies the cheat codes to reality, the Sorcerer literally just glares or winks at the universe. And the universe listens.
    Quote Originally Posted by foobar1969 View Post
    Flexibility is awesome, but I'd sacrifice that spellbook in a heartbeat to be a 24-7 flying hentai apocalypse demon.

First Eternal foe of the Draconic Lord, battling him across the multiverse in whatever shapes and forms he may take.

30. - Top - End - #240

Yep an entire race of half-mad, fiendish unicorns.

My Campaign Journals