New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 24 of 49 FirstFirst ... 141516171819202122232425262728293031323334 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #691
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Index of the Giant's Comments V―On a Saner Forum, We Wouldn't Need this Index

OK, so the new section would look like....

Vampirism
    HPoH ( ) Didn't Exist Before Durkon Was Vampirized
    Though he arrived "with certain knowledge, like language and whatever Hel told it to do as she was shoving it in there."
    #1112 02/13/2018
    The Nature of Vampirism
    "...a negative energy consciousness created in the shape of your own worst impulses, stuffed into your dead body to animate it."
    #1112 02/13/2018
    Durkon Can't Show HPoH ( ) Fake Memories #1009 10/19/2015
    Malack Chose to Worship Nergal
    And "shaman" is a descriptive term, not a non-cleric class.
    #949 04/19/2014
    There is Only One Way that Vampirism Works
    And nothing that happens with vampires can be assumed to work for other undead. Also, knowledge of how vampirization works is rare, even among clerics.
    #949 04/18/2014
    Vampires Have Free Will #949 04/18/2014

Am I missing anything?
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

2. - Top - End - #692
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Index of the Giant's Comments V―On a Saner Forum, We Wouldn't Need this Index

Well then.

The Index has been reorganized.

3. - Top - End - #693
    Barbarian in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

(I hate to do this again right after a reorg, but...)

The "Calendars, Dates, and Maps" section has four quotes. Two of these are concerned with character ages and have nothing to do with anything else, one is the general timeline comment, and the last is a brief comment on the Western Continent map. Was it larger in the past or something? In any case, it's not particularly coherent and doesn't really follow the title section. I think it should at least be renamed ("Dates, Ages, and Maps"? "Time and Geography"?), but more probably dissolved and the quotes put into a Setting (or similar) supercategory alongside other appropriate groups of quotes, like the Culture, Religion, and Afterlife quotes. I can put together a more detailed proposal if other people think a larger reorganization is a good idea.

Edit -

Hanging on to this. A possibly appropriate addition to a hypothetical "OOTSworld politics" section.
    Last edited by unbeliever536; 2018-03-09 at 05:05 PM.
    Why should a man be scorned if, finding himself in prison, he tries to get out and go home? Or if, when he cannot do so, he thinks and talks about other topics than jailers and prison-walls?

Pokemon:
    Spoiler
    Show

Friend Code: 4484-7979-9172
    DS name: Ben
    In-game name: Lief
    Friend safari: Charmeleon, Pansear, Ninetails

Brew:

4. - Top - End - #694
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by unbeliever536 View Post
    I can put together a more detailed proposal if other people think a larger reorganization is a good idea.
    I suspect you'd have more responses putting together a more detailed proposal, for people to agree/disagree in parts as well as overall.

5. - Top - End - #695
    Bugbear in the Playground

Does this twitter exchange: https://twitter.com/RichBurlew/statu...09286769975303 tell us anything we should add? I guess I find it interesting that Rich's process is to keep plot outlines in text files but that he doesn't feel the need to keep documentation on a lot of the rest of the typical "series bible" stuff due to the D&D connection, but I'm not sure if it's the kind of thing that anyone else would find relevant.

6. - Top - End - #696
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Algeh View Post
    Does this twitter exchange: https://twitter.com/RichBurlew/statu...09286769975303 tell us anything we should add? I guess I find it interesting that Rich's process is to keep plot outlines in text files but that he doesn't feel the need to keep documentation on a lot of the rest of the typical "series bible" stuff due to the D&D connection, but I'm not sure if it's the kind of thing that anyone else would find relevant.
    It has new information that is kinda cool to know. For anyone unable or unwilling to click the link:

Quote Originally Posted by Perilous Piers @NickPiers

Kind of a random question, but do you keep an OotS bible? I've heard of some writers - especially epic fantasy writers - have one with rough plot points, character profiles, etc. And if so, how do you have it compiled? Digital? Binder(s)? Scraps of napkins?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Burlew @RichBurlew

Plot outlines, yes, in text files. Everything else, no. But to be fair, I've outsourced a lot of what characters can and can't do to D&D. I don't need to write down details of the magic system to remember it, for example. I just look it up. Except when I don't.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 1

7. - Top - End - #697
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I think it's fair to include, as it both details what's kept and isn't kept, and also in what format. Kind of niche, I suppose, but I'm sure it fits in somewhere.

Peelee’s Lotsey

8. - Top - End - #698
    Firbolg in the Playground

Yep, it offers something new about the creative process. Definitely worth keeping.

9. - Top - End - #699
    Troll in the Playground

So important to not include.
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #700

I can't see anything new here. This has been said before, much more elaborately: Everything is plotted in advance and D&D rules are used, except when they don't fit into the story.

So I see no value in adding this new quote. It's very light, and redundant too.

11. - Top - End - #701
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynfrid View Post
    I can't see anything new here. This has been said before, much more elaborately: Everything is plotted in advance and D&D rules are used, except when they don't fit into the story.

Agreed. It's interesting the way he puts it, but no new information was really said.
    Last edited by D.One; 2018-04-23 at 01:20 PM.
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles don’t hit theheadlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, can’t be everywhere, and we, many
    So, when the world or universe needs saving, they come
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones to appear
    We're underdogs, but we rise up to the challenge to be heroes.
    (Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

"I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here"

12. - Top - End - #702
    Titan in the Playground

We also know the Giant uses a text file for scripts.

13. - Top - End - #703
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Somehow I didn’t realize that we had that first quote around. Still the newer quote does clarify that there aren’t, for example, character profiles that have been written down.

Peelee’s Lotsey

14. - Top - End - #704

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxzan Proditor View Post
    Somehow I didn’t realize that we had that first quote around. Still the newer quote does clarify that there aren’t, for example, character profiles that have been written down.
    Well, telling us something is not written down is... not much information really. Besides, I would contend that it's mostly covered with the statement about D&D rules being less than 100% adhered to.

15. - Top - End - #705
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Well, telling us something is not written down is... not much information really. Besides, I would contend that it's mostly covered with the statement about D&D rules being less than 100% adhered to.
    Sure, it’s not much, but it is still something new. And I don’t see a character profile as having much to do with D&D rules. Maybe if it was just character statistics and abilities that the question asked, but the phrasing of a ‘bible’ seems to imply a lot more than that to me.

Peelee’s Lotsey

16. - Top - End - #706
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Is the information that The Giant doesn't make convention appearances anymore relevant here? It seems important to me because, had I read it anywhere, I wouldn't have started that thread, but I don't know if it fits here.
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles don’t hit theheadlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, can’t be everywhere, and we, many
    So, when the world or universe needs saving, they come
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones to appear
    We're underdogs, but we rise up to the challenge to be heroes.
    (Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

"I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here"

17. - Top - End - #707
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by D.One View Post
    Is the information that The Giant doesn't make convention appearances anymore relevant here? It seems important to me because, had I read it anywhere, I wouldn't have started that thread, but I don't know if it fits here.
    I think it may be a little too separated from the actual comic itself, although I’m open to persuasion otherwise.

Peelee’s Lotsey

18. - Top - End - #708
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I think it may be a little too separated from the actual comic itself, although I’m open to persuasion otherwise.
    Didn't the Giant ask us at one point to not record details of his personal life? Assuming I'm remembering correctly, id say this qualifies.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

19. - Top - End - #709
    Titan in the Playground

I'm fairly sure it's entirely separated from the comic itself, and thus doesn't qualify for inclusion under Rule B.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thread Rules View Post
    Rule B: The Index is for collecting only quotes that have to do with the Order of the Stick comic or other fiction works by Rich Burlew.

1) | This excludes non-comic-related opinions, statements, etc. from Rich. So if he says "I like Italian food" or something like that, it is not to be included.

2) | This may include information related to the comic, like Rich's views on Dungeons and Dragons, book publishing, art design, etc. . . so long as these quotes are still within the sphere of comic-related discussion. Uncertainty should be decided by thread poster consensus.

3) | This excludes GiTP forum rules, updates, or general information. That is for the admins and mods to publicize and spread word about, not this index.

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Didn't the Giant ask us at one point to not record details of his personal life? Assuming I'm remembering correctly, id say this qualifies.
    It was posted in the OOTS forum, so the Giant would be fine if we chose to include it.

20. - Top - End - #710

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    I'm fairly sure it's entirely separated from the comic itself, and thus doesn't qualify for inclusion under Rule B.
    Con appearances were to promote his works. His primary work is OotS.

21. - Top - End - #711
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reboot View Post
    Con appearances were to promote his works. His primary work is OotS.
    If the quote said something about that one way or the other, that might be a point. Absent that, "The Giant's primary work is OotS, so everything the Giant does or doesn't do impacts OotS, so everything the Giant does or doesn't do is relevant" doesn't fly particularly well.

22. - Top - End - #712
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

I'm fine with listing it - it's relevant to OOTS and to The Giant's professional life, as any venture to a convention would be part of the latter and would be for the purpose of promoting the former, and it's something that has come up repeatedly - but I don't feel strongly enough about it to argue persistently in its favor.
    Last edited by Emanick; 2018-04-27 at 04:13 PM.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

23. - Top - End - #713
    Colossus in the Playground

Rich just tweeted:
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    1/2
    here.

I'm not actually proposing it for inclusion, second because it requires some interpretation, and first because I'm sure the official announcement of the new prequel book will follow pretty soon, but I wanted to make sure everyone who's looking at this thread sees it.

24. - Top - End - #714
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

I vote Kish for Most Loved Forumer 2018.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 1

25. - Top - End - #715
    Ogre in the Playground

Came here to share the same thing. So exciting. I'm guessing it's the Sapphire Guard prequel, but we'll see.

26. - Top - End - #716
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah. I don't really have anything to add other than, "Hype!"

27. - Top - End - #717

Quote Originally Posted by Lissou View Post
    Came here to share the same thing. So exciting. I'm guessing it's the Sapphire Guard prequel, but we'll see.
    Yeah. I mean, it's blue and we know "How The Paladin Got His Scar" (And Other Stories) is due in print.

The only real question is whether it's "Volume One out of Two" or some sort of "Volume Number One-Half" gag. (Probably the former, with 2/2 containing the other Kickstarter stories yet to be done.)
    Last edited by Reboot; 2018-04-28 at 03:19 PM.

28. - Top - End - #718

Yeah. I mean, it's blue and we know "How The Paladin Got His Scar" (And Other Stories) is due in print.

The only real question is whether it's "Volume One out of Two" or some sort of "Volume Number One-Half" gag. (Probably the former, with 2/2 containing the other Kickstarter stories yet to be done.)
    Given the numbering thus far, with the existing prequels being volumes 0 and -1, I'd say it's pretty clearly the latter.
    The Order of the Stick death pool thread -- place your bets! (Yes, it's still ongoing and maintained.)

29. - Top - End - #719
    Ogre in the Playground

Didn't stop me from going all "HELL YEAH VECTOR LEGION PREQUEL" for a solid 5 minutes before I stopped to think about it.
    ungelic is us

30. - Top - End - #720
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I agree with Kish; we’ll probably get an announcement about it before we decide to include anyway. (Also, thanks for sharing that!)

Quote Originally Posted by hroşila View Post
    Didn't stop me from going all "HELL YEAH VECTOR LEGION PREQUEL" for a solid 5 minutes before I stopped to think about it.
    One day, one day...

Peelee’s Lotsey