New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Best / worst titles in media

I have been wondering about the importance of titles in media a bit recently.
    While a lot of stuff settles for 'main character's name' or 'important McGuffin' or 'vague plot description' (or 'setting') I've been thinking about the few cases where this doesn't apply. And where it works especially well or poorly.
    But.. I had a hard time coming up with a list of examples.

So since I thought I'd ask you what are examples you can think of where the title of any work is especially good or bad, relating to what actually goes on in the work.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Best / worst titles in media

Up to a few decades ago pretty much every non-Norwegian piece of media that was translated was given a Norwegian name, and often not just a literal translation of the original title. While this makes sense for titles that are idioms, puns, etc. it was done pretty indiscriminately and with little care for (and often little understanding of) the work in question.
    This gave us things like (literal translation to English for those not fortunate enough to understand Norwegian) "Shark summer" (Jaws), "Worm summer" (Tremors), "Picnic with death" (Deliverence) , "Help, we're in the pop business" (This is Spinal Tap), "Girl with male courage" (True Grit, though this one sounds marginally less bad in Norwegian), and "Pumpkin in distress" (Seven Year Itch), to name a few.
    In a case of both good and bad translations, SW: TPM had both. Norwegian is the only language I know with two official versions of the same language (minor dialectal differences and geography determine which the first one you learn is). In one the translation was "The Hidden Menace" and in the other it was "The Phantom/Wraith/Apparition Menace".

In English media, the use of the name "John Carter" for the adaptation of the first of ERB's Barsoom stories a few years ago was an example of how not to do it. With merely a name, especially one that is so average, what can one expect from the movie?
    Sure, if you're like me, a Barsoom story was the first thing I though of but for those unfamiliar with it....A comedy? Drama? Horror? Documentary? Had they just called it "John Carter of Mars" it would give at least a vague hint of the content.
    Last edited by BWR; 2018-09-10 at 07:02 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by BWR View Post
    Up to a few decades ago pretty much every non-Norwegian piece of media that was translated was given a Norwegian name, and often not just a literal translation of the original title. While this makes sense for titles that are idioms, puns, etc. it was done pretty indiscriminately and with little care for (and often little understanding of) the work in question.
    Same in Denmark.
    I fondly recall "Monkey boy kills indigenous life forms and wants to get it on with hot socialite girl" (Tarzan).
    Or "Christmas dinner to be thinks it is Doctor Phil" (Babe).
    And my favorite. "Lesbian Nazi Hookers abducted by UFO and forced into weight loss program" (Jerry Springer).
    -
    What is dead may never die, but rises again, harder, stronger, in a later edition.
    -

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Die Hard 2: Die Harder, has to be one of the best named sequels I can think of

Building off of that, An Evening With Kevin Smith 2: Evening Harder

For another humorous eye-catcher of a title, while I haven't read it, I do know there's a YA book called Hold Me Closer, Necromancer

5. - Top - End - #5
    Colossus in the Playground

Well, I mean, sequel titles are an entire genre on their own. But I'd like to nominate any movie with "Revolution", "Vengeance" or "The Return" as a title.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Some anime have really nonsensical titles. What does Bleach have to do with...whatever supernatural shenanigans that show/manga is about anyway?
    "And if you don't, the consequences will be dire!"
    "What? They'll have three extra hit dice and a rend attack?"

Factotum Variants!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Noventa View Post
    Some anime have really nonsensical titles. What does Bleach have to do with...whatever supernatural shenanigans that show/manga is about anyway?
    It whitens things. Lots of things in Bleach turn white, literally or metaphorically. And the protagonist is frequently mistaken for having bleached hair.

But mainly music references.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

Do acronyms of a title count? Like I don't like Uncle Grampa, I don't have a problem with the title (or rather I don't have a problem with naming a show after its protagonist), but the initials are "UG." And they acknowledge it in the show. UG - it's like an onomatopoeia for what you feel like when watching it.

Also Game of Thrones. I like the early seasons, am fine with the title, but the acronym is "GOT," (and they acknowledge it in the show) which seems kind of silly for this dark, serious, medieval fantasy drama.

I don't know. The acronym for whatever the series/media is doesn't bother me. Just trying to get people to say the title as an acronym when it doesn't work kind of bugs me. Like when the last Harry Potter films came out: HP7 pt1 or pt2. Sometimes an acronym works, and sometimes its weird to say or think about.

Am I making any sense? Am I alone in this?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Well, I mean, sequel titles are an entire genre on their own. But I'd like to nominate any movie with "Revolution", "Vengeance" or "The Return" as a title.
    You must really like Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance.

As we all should, it's great.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

I don't feel like many shows make a point of acronym titles, unless it's very blatant... Or I'm just ignorant. Then again, many shows have such short names shortening them is kind of pointless (?)

Quote Originally Posted by Misereor View Post
    Same in Denmark.
    I fondly recall "Monkey boy kills indigenous life forms and wants to get it on with hot socialite girl" (Tarzan).
    And my favorite. "Lesbian Nazi Hookers abducted by UFO and forced into weight loss program" (Jerry Springer).
    Well, I wasn't specifically thinking of translations, but I guess they qualify. Germany also had its fair share (they mostly stopped translating by now)
    (a German comedian claimed that the Spanish (?) title for Psycho was 'the man who was his mother' but I can't find any proof of that)

Yes, those are always gems.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    It whitens things. Lots of things in Bleach turn white, literally or metaphorically. And the protagonist is frequently mistaken for having bleached hair.

But mainly music references.
    Ah, I've always wondered about that. Mystery solved.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

One of my favorite titles ever is Ghost in the Shell. If you know nothing about the movie, it is a bizarre title that intruiges you, and then after you watch it, you realize the deeper meaning it holds. The name spoils the ending of the movie, but you'll never know until after you watch it. I love names with hidden secrets like that. Kubo and the Two Strings does something similar.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

12. - Top - End - #12

BlackDragon

I find that the original Japanese episode titles for anime are often just a description of what happens in the episode, which is quite odd to Western ears. They generally get renamed for Western consumption.

Willing to bet that both the best and worst titles of all time come from the James Bond movies. Best: Diamonds are Forever, The Man with the Golden Gun, The World is Not Enough. Worst: Quantum of Solace (what the heck does that even mean?), Octopussy, Thunderball (sounds like a lottery machine).

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post

Oh, that one absolutely loops back around to greatness, even if I have never played a Metal Gear game.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    I find that the original Japanese episode titles for anime are often just a description of what happens in the episode, which is quite odd to Western ears. They generally get renamed for Western consumption.

Willing to bet that both the best and worst titles of all time come from the James Bond movies. Best: Diamonds are Forever, The Man with the Golden Gun, The World is Not Enough. Worst: Quantum of Solace (what the heck does that even mean?), Octopussy, Thunderball (sounds like a lottery machine).
    I can't possibly consider as great a title that is a blatant lie. At normal pressures, diamonds are thermodynamically unstable and decay into graphite over the course of billions of years.
    Last edited by Celestia; 2018-09-11 at 02:47 AM.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Worst: Quantum of Solace (what the heck does that even mean?),
    A very tiny piece of peace of mind, basically. IIRC it had some meaning in the film, Bond getting some closure on some things. Maybe. A lot of those, especially the Craig oens start to flwo together in my mind.
    Last edited by snowblizz; 2018-09-11 at 03:01 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    One of my favorite titles ever is Ghost in the Shell. If you know nothing about the movie, it is a bizarre title that intruiges you, and then after you watch it, you realize the deeper meaning it holds. The name spoils the ending of the movie, but you'll never know until after you watch it. I love names with hidden secrets like that. Kubo and the Two Strings does something similar.
    Good choices. "Ghost in the Shell" is so much more descriptive, appropriate and evocative than "Mobile Armored Riot Police."

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post

And I love its status as a quasi-serious game that jokes about its tropes.

I really like "Star Wars" and its subsequent subtitles. You can say about the movies what you will but the subtitles always hit its content.

As for vaguely confusing I'd like to nominate "Iron Sky". From the trailer I thought it was a piloting film much less about hammy Space Nazis. but in retrospect, Udo Kier should have given it away.

Fun fact: When he doesn't play Yuri in C&C Red Alert 2 or Wolfgang Kortzfleisch (what a surname... Mr Pukemeat likes his Arian name I think) in Iron Sky, he often plays villains in German crime thrillers or kid's shows. Have you ever seen the light-heartedness of kid or early teen live-action series meet something so hammy as Udo Kier's villainous acting? It is delightful.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sporeegg View Post
    As for vaguely confusing I'd like to nominate "Iron Sky". From the trailer I thought it was a piloting film much less about hammy Space Nazis. but in retrospect, Udo Kier should have given it away.

Fun fact: When he doesn't play Yuri in C&C Red Alert 2 or Wolfgang Kortzfleisch (what a surname... Mr Pukemeat likes his Arian name I think) in Iron Sky, he often plays villains in German crime thrillers or kid's shows. Have you ever seen the light-heartedness of kid or early teen live-action series meet something so hammy as Udo Kier's villainous acting? It is delightful.
    Kortzfleisch was acctually the name of a real german noble house, one of them a general in the Wehrmacht. I had assumed the name had its origins in something translating to 'short meat', but apparently the name was originally written as Kotfleisch ... no wonder they changed it.

Boy does Kier do a lot of stuff
    Last edited by Iruka; 2018-09-11 at 07:46 AM.

"Children grow up to be people? All the children I knew grew up to be machines."
    ~Augustus von Fabelrath~
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Somebody should have that sigged.
    Member of Peelee's Church of Sudden Skylight

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

This gave us things like (literal translation to English for those not fortunate enough to understand Norwegian) "Shark summer" (Jaws), "Worm summer" (Tremors), "Picnic with death" (Deliverence) , "Help, we're in the pop business" (This is Spinal Tap), "Girl with male courage" (True Grit, though this one sounds marginally less bad in Norwegian), and "Pumpkin in distress" (Seven Year Itch), to name a few.
    I actually like some of those. "Worm Summer" ...I'd see that.

As much as it pains me to say it, "Eternal Darkness" isn't that great of a title. The game itself is awesome sure, but the title doesn't give a very good impression of what you're in for and even comes off as kind of generic. I was actually going to pass on it until a friend insisted that I give it a shot.
    Last edited by The Fury; 2018-09-11 at 10:27 AM. Reason: Oh! The quote! Don't worry! I'll fix it!

20. - Top - End - #20

Sanity's Requiem isn't a bad title, though.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Misereor View Post
    Same in Denmark.
    I'm from Denmark and I don't quite recognize those. Babe was "Babe the Spunky Pig" if I remember right.

I do remember "Maw of Death" (Jaws), "Dad's Awesome Vacation" (National Lampoon's Vacation), and "Driving with Crazy People!" (Cannonball Run). Others get a more literal translation, like A Fistful of Dollars is exactly that, but in Danish. The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly became "The Good, The Bad, and the Cruel", though.

Of course, none can hold a candle to the best worst one. Die Hard with a Vengeance became "Die Hard, MEGA HARD" in Danish. Yes, localized to a different English title.

Spoiler: The Titles in Danish
    Show
    Dødens Gab (Jaws)
    Babe den kække gris (Babe)
    Fars Fede Ferie (National Lampoon's Vacation)
    Ud at køre med de skøre! (Cannonball Run)
    En nævefuld dollars (A Fistful of Dollars)
    Den gode, den onde, og den grusomme (The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly)
    Last edited by McNum; 2018-09-11 at 10:55 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

I second John Carter as a truly awful title. Just having a person's name isn't a great choice for a movie title to begin with, but if your film is sci fi, fantasy, or some flavor thereof, you need to put something in the title that suggests that.

I can't speak to Bleach specifically, but there do seem to be a significant number of manga and anime whose creators chose the title by sticking their fingers in a random dictionary page and picking whatever word they end up pointing to.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Work is the scourge of the gaming classes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Neither Evershifting List of Perfectly Prepared Spells nor Grounds to Howl at the DM If I Ever Lose is actually a wizard class feature.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Why name a movie "John Carter" when the character's days of fame were almost a century ago and only a few fans of obscure early sci-fi know it? Especially when you could use the more recognizable version of his name that is "John Carter of Mars". Now that's a title that is already much more interesting.

Or you could just use the title of the novel you are adapting, which has the awesome name "A Princess of Mars". Seriously! You're first thought is probably "what does a princess do on Mars?" and then "Wait, she's a princess of Mars? How is that possible?!" Already you are curious, and even if it turns out to be something you're absolutely not interested in, you have been thinking about it for a few seconds.
    "John Carter" does not mean anything to anyone, and it doesn't have any even mildly interesting associations.

I think Bleach refers to the main character being a Japanese guy with blond hair, which makes people percieve him as a troublemaker who wants to stand out and get attention. Which I believe isn't actually fair as he just happens to be that one japanese person who is naturally blond.
    But it's still really not important at all, considering the subject of the series.

Good choices. "Ghost in the Shell" is so much more descriptive, appropriate and evocative than "Mobile Armored Riot Police."
    Though before that, he also wrote "Tokyo Tank Police". Now that's a cool title.

While I'm a fan of his third near-future cyborg-police with heavy armor series (almost like that guy's an engineer or something), "Appleseed" is also a terrible title.
    Last edited by Yora; 2018-09-11 at 01:39 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by McNum View Post
    "Dad's Awesome Vacation" (National Lampoon's Vacation),
    That was 'Help, we're on vacation', here. Norway went through a period of 'Help, X' as a go to translation for several comedies, such as
    'Help, it's Christmas vacation', which can almost be excused for being a sequel.
    'Help, we're flying' (Airplane)
    'Help, we're filming' (Loose shoes)

And lest you think only foreign movies got this treatment, several Norwegian movies suffered this as well. I will give 'Help, we're in the movie business' a pass since it was a deliberate jab at that unfortunate period in our cinematographical history and poked fun at the state of Norwegian film in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    Though before that, he also wrote "Tokyo Tank Police". Now that's a cool title.
    Is that the same as 'Dominion'/'Dominion Tank Police'? Because that's the name of the manga and anime we have, respectively. And it was a fun title and fun little story.
    Last edited by BWR; 2018-09-11 at 01:55 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh, we're going anime here?

"Problem Children Are Coming From Another World, Aren't They?"

"A Place Further than the Universe" (amazing beautiful show, but still)

"Is it Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?"

"Is this a Zombie?" (mentioned for the trifecta of shows that love to be a question)

"When Supernatural battles Become Commonplace"

And for an upcoming one, "That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime ".

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Anime inspired video games tend to be horrendous at this, especially when the people coming up with this stuff have no idea how any language other than Japanese works.

Examples:

Fate / Stay Night
    Unlimited Blade Works
    Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus R
    Melty Blood Re-ACT Final Tuned
    Melty Blood Actress Again Current Code

That last one deserves special mention just to try and figure out what in the hell it is supposed to mean.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Berserk Mecha View Post
    Melty Blood Actress Again Current Code

That last one deserves special mention just to try and figure out what in the hell it is supposed to mean.
    That one's easy - it's about a former actress whose blood has a particularly low fusion temperature (she lives in a really cold place, okay) who returns to the job after making sure her studio is compliant with the newest version of local building safety laws. Did I get that right?

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Is it Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?"
    What's the problem with that one?
    Other than the answer being painfully obvious I mean.
    By the way, it's „YES!.

"Is this a Zombie?" (mentioned for the trifecta of shows that love to be a question).
    Sounds like a good title for a picture book that prepares little kids for the zombie-apocalypse.
    Hey, the brats need to know when it's time to shoot daddy in the face
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

The Kingdom Hearts game on the 3DS has the worst subtitle ever: Dream Drop Distance (get it?! 3Ds!)

Another game in the series is called 358/2 which makes me think of a math problem...

Chain of Memories, however is an awesome title.
    Last edited by Joran; 2018-09-11 at 06:28 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

On the good side - A Hundred Years of Solitude is just a rock solid title, and I have to give credit where it's due to In Search of Lost Time, for all that the actual writing is not my thing.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.