New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 46 of 49 FirstFirst ... 213637383940414243444546474849 LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,380 of 1470
  1. - Top - End - #1351
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony XXX: Trixie Treats!

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    Just watched new episode (and with subtitles, too!) and I have only one word for now:

Spoiler
    Show
    Dinky!

Um... Just wanted to wish you goodnight, ponythread. So tired...

And wish this thread will still be around in hours ^^"
    Goodnight! And if you're still on, don't worry, we haven't moved that fast recently, so this thread should still be alive and kicking come morning.

And imagedump, adorable semi-spoilers edition:
    Spoiler
    Show

ONE. DAY.

And the non-spoilers edition:
    Spoiler
    Show

I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

2. - Top - End - #1352
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    yeah no, sorry
    ohthankgod.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

3. - Top - End - #1353
    Ogre in the Playground

So apparently a new Pinkie song leaked.

EDIT: Removed the link to said song.
    Last edited by Jahkaivah; 2011-11-06 at 08:01 PM.
    Steamname: Atheist God, if you're lucky.

4. - Top - End - #1354
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelbert View Post
    So there was a Brony Sociological Analysis image posted up on EqD last night. The creator clearly put a lot of work into it, and there's a lot of good information and analysis in there, but... I have a few quibbles.
    This smells to like a school project to me. By which I mean that it essentially creatures many of its distinction as part of the eternal academic art of "bulls***ing the teacher for a B grade" that all students must master to survive. While not entirely unreasonable I do not know that the all the divisions the chart would make actually can be substaniated. Particularly his sub-divisions of the brony culture into what strike me as self defined types.

I do not know that we can actually establish divisions within Brony culture like this. Hipster and Unhappy sound ill-defined to me and largely invented with "moderate" being a catch-all to ensure that he can cover 100% of bronies with his analysis. I do not know that this creates a usable basis for any analysis of bronies themselves which is the only reason to create such categories.

Also while this is tinted by my own lense, any analysis of the brony movement would begin with establishing it in relation to existing fandom movements already long in existence. I am a brony mostly as a result of my otakuism and troperism, being attracted to the obvious animesque qualities of FiM's art style. I do not know that FiM fandom in the larger context should be ascribed unique qualities. Thriving fandoms from a single show source are not new, and are at least as old as Star Trek who popularized many of the fandom tropes found in bronies. Nor is this the first time a (predominantly) American audience has latched onto animated material while not being kids, FiM is still a pale shadow of the Simpson's cultural reach and its entire genre of imitators.

In this context I'm not sure what distinguishes bronies is more then superficial. Its source is suprising because "girls shows" experience a much heavier level of derision (not entirely undeserved) and My Little Pony is well within the Barbie and Disney Princess category, girls liking ponies itself being a tremendously present sterotype. Which the show was explicitly created by Mrs. Faust to combat, obviously successfully. What is perhaps most unique is FiM's explicit targeting of children while never sacrificing quality in the name of that. However while Americans (mostly) have only latched on to adult-comedy orient animation, FiM would not be the first to demonstrate breaking this. Pixar would be a major example, and Pixar itself owes massive debts to the Disney model which dates back decades. And for a similar case in Japan would be Hayao Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli (incidentally who Pixar and Disney are disciples of) whoap a very low number of anime tropes, thus defy simple grouping into otaku culture, while competing on even ground with anybody in the Japanese cinema scene.

So in balance I'm not sure bronies represent their own distinct reasons for existing, save that they are merely the first time in America something like this has managed to congeal into a definable fandom following.

Something which this analysis does not seem to acknowledge but should if it wishes to speak in a sociological context. It on balance comes across as a familiar bit of of "hey here's why the show is good" with some added general overview with only a little off base personal analysis. I'm not sure that bronies themselves can gain any insight except as a conversation starter piece for other analysis.
    The description of Rarity's character as a sorority girl just doesn't work for me. The author pretty much spends the entire description talking about her flaws, then just tacks on the "oh, and she's really generous" at the end.
    When discussing the types of art, the author also stated that parodies and memes and such were a lesser connection to the show, that the people who created them had a more shallow appreciation for the show than those who write fanfics (with self-inserts is the implication). That's flat out ridiculous.
    I can sympathize with this. I do not write fanfics, nor do I even read them or have much interest in them. I do not consider myself somehow a less serious brony because of this.

Worse I would say that the meme breeding and parody are probably closer to a true core, representing an truly unifying element with some of the larger meme's like %20 cooler being ubiquitous to bronies of all stripes. I'd say parodies particularly the PMV movement is likewise at least as central to the fandom as fanfics. Both are highly visible to non-bronies as well thus an integral part of the brony culture as relates to the broader net culture. While fanfics are almost always completely internal to a fandom, and favoring them raises a not-so-subtle No True Scotsman aspect of fandom elitism.

My more substantive disagreement comes with the subgroups of brony culture. First off, while I'm sure there are some hipster bronies who just watch MLP because they think it's cool, I don't believe there are enough of them to warrant being called a legitimate subgroup in their own right.
    According to the chart, I'd probably fall under "moderate." I'm not a hipster brony, and I don't have serious personal issues or unhappiness that I'm addressing by watching MLP. But the term moderate just doesn't work for me. There's nothing moderate about my exuberance for the show. I don't watch it out of nostalgia, or because I'm tired and want to relax. I'm also definitely not going to look back at my time as a brony and say 'well that was odd, wasn't it?' as the author would have you believe. No, I'm not going to regret any part of it, and I resent the implication that my connection or appreciation for the show is somehow less deep because I don't have any "great emotional burdens."
    I think I would fit under "Unhappy" in that I watch the show as escapism. However I do this for all media, ponies are simply my most recent. I have been a much more strident otaku in the past then at present for example.

However I would agree that the strictures outlined in that flow chart will more often then not result in hammering round pegs through square holes thus defy being useful analysis.. I watch because the community around it is amazing, full of love and tolerance, full of talent. I watch because the show makes me want to improve myself in every possible way. I watch because the show has made me a better person, emotionally, spiritually, socially, and artistically.

Well that was some rant. A disclaimer: I don't mean to suggest that it's bad to watch because of emotional burdens, escapism or nostalgia, I just don't think it's okay to tell someone bronies they're somehow less devoted to the show because they have different motivations than you.
    While being in a very different place from you (notably I AM escapist) I never the less feel my complete agreement with this.

And I forgot to mention it earlier that this shows perhaps the most truely unique aspect of the fandom thus far... the general pleasantness and overall spirit of unity represented in the rallying cry of "Love & Tolerate"

Quote Originally Posted by Kindablue View Post
    "Hipsters as a culture deserve essays of analysis."

... I don't actually feel the need to continue reading that.
    Actually this is a fair point. While I'm not sure if hipster are the next Dead Unicorn Trope like "emo" of previous years thus don't actually exist except in the mind of their detractors.... I trust you do recognize that everything is deserving of analysis. Otherwise we end up with poor analysis in general because we allow preconceptions to rule over reason. Unfortunately little of substance is present in the main subject of this discussion. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Tectonic Robot View Post
    I decided drawing attention to what I was drawing attention to was actually a terrible idea. It could get Daniel Ingram fired.
    Umm why just for a leaked song? Not to be particular but given Hasbro's fairly evident lack of enforcement of pirating its not really any different then anything else that has leaked thus far. Now mind you linking this outright would quite possibly still be within the board's own strictures against copyrighted material and certainly within polite cooperation in general... but I'd be very suprised to see it resulting in someone getting fired over the matter.

And you've just given me a major personal Barbara Streisand Effect to go find it...

5. - Top - End - #1355
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jahkaivah View Post
    So apparently a new Pinkie song leaked.
    I think we were trying to avoid linking to that to avoid causing people trouble.
    Last edited by Athaniar; 2011-11-06 at 08:10 PM.

6. - Top - End - #1356
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Athaniar View Post
    I think we were trying to avoid linking to that to avoid causing people trouble.
    Eh fair enough.

I can't help but think of a non-fuss there was over the Winter Wrap Up leak. Which I linked here to get people interested in the show back when the ponythreads actually moved at a glacial pace.
    Last edited by Jahkaivah; 2011-11-06 at 07:55 PM.
    Steamname: Atheist God, if you're lucky.

7. - Top - End - #1357
    Bugbear in the Playground

Episode 5 (Dinky related)

Spoiler
    Show
    The situation with Dinky is really, really easy to fanon away. Skip Dinky clones or it's not the same pony or whatever, here. I have crafted fanon.

The pony Dinky ran with is her babysitter. Since Derpy, as a mail person, occasionally has to work long hours and odd times, Dinky and the mare have grown quite close, with Dinky seeing her as sort of a bigger sister figure. This sisterhood race was her chance to try and show to the mare how much that meant to Dinky.

Derpy's in the audience! She obviously is cheering for them! And when they don't even come close to winning, Dinky would be all upset, because she couldn't prove to her babysitter how much she meant to her. She's unconsolable, until they get home, and Derpy and the mare surprise her with muffins and a surprise party, and that's where Dinky realizes that you don't have to prove to someone sisterhood, it doesn't have anything to do with bloodline either. Family is about love.

There! Done!

8. - Top - End - #1358
    Ettin in the Playground

Amazon is taking pre orders for a FiM DVD.
    Sadly, judging by the run time it only has 4-5 episodes.
    Credit for my various avatars goes to Dashwood,Cealocanth,Kwarkpudding,Randomizer,kpengu in,Alarra,Bisected8,zimmerwald1915, and Thanqol.

Once known as "Gamerkid".

9. - Top - End - #1359
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EsperDerek View Post

Spoiler
    Show
    The situation with Dinky is really, really easy to fanon away. Skip Dinky clones or it's not the same pony or whatever, here. I have crafted fanon.

The pony Dinky ran with is her babysitter. Since Derpy, as a mail person, occasionally has to work long hours and odd times, Dinky and the mare have grown quite close, with Dinky seeing her as sort of a bigger sister figure. This sisterhood race was her chance to try and show to the mare how much that meant to Dinky.

Derpy's in the audience! She obviously is cheering for them! And when they don't even come close to winning, Dinky would be all upset, because she couldn't prove to her babysitter how much she meant to her. She's unconsolable, until they get home, and Derpy and the mare surprise her with muffins and a surprise party, and that's where Dinky realizes that you don't have to prove to someone sisterhood, it doesn't have anything to do with bloodline either. Family is about love.

There! Done!
    Yay *hugs EsperDerek*

And that's how EsperDerek saved Christmas Dinky-fanon.

10. - Top - End - #1360
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Is "hipster" even a self-identifying group? I thought in modern parlance it was only used derogatorively.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerlord View Post
    Amazon is taking pre orders for a FiM DVD.
    Sadly, judging by the run time it only has 4-5 episodes.
    Sets of 5 episode DVDs are what most shows have, so that's not bad as long as there's more to come. I'll get a Season 1 DVD box set as soon as it's out, but I'll skip a "best of" compilation. Still, really good news!
    Last edited by Trazoi; 2011-11-06 at 08:38 PM.

11. - Top - End - #1361
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Trazoi View Post
    Is "hipster" even a self-identifying group? I thought in modern parlance it was only used derogatorively.
    That has thus far been my summation of the "group" as well

Sets of 5 episode DVDs are what most shows have, so that's not bad as long as there's more to come. I'll get a Season 1 DVD box set as soon as it's out, but I'll skip a "best of" compilation. Still, really good news!
    Not true!

It is a feature of children's programming and anime distribution. And anime can I think be blamed on the perceptions involving cartoons. Mainstream television comes out in a Season X Box format most often. Actually I think the whole TV on DVD only began in earnest in that format. Only exception in mainstream TV I'm aware of is SNL which I've seen mostly in terms of actors collections. Children's programing in contrast has always come out in more limited ways since VHS days. These days its a rather transparent attempt to mine more cash out of parents I think.

(And they wonder why the market for anime doesn't do well)

12. - Top - End - #1362
    Ettin in the Playground

I self-identified as a hipster before hipster self-identification was cool.

Of course, I only say that with layers of irony.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

13. - Top - End - #1363

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post
    Not true!
    Well that's me putting my hoof in my mouth by basing my statement on my own personal collection, which is about half Aussie/British comedy series (released by season, where a season is 6 to 8 shows) and most of the rest American animation (also released by season which is huge, but also individually where each DVD is 4 to 5 shows).

I've seen complete series of children's animation out before, but from what I remember there's also been plenty where that's not the case. I couldn't remember ever seeing a complete series of the Powerpuff Girls out anywhere other than Japan for some reason.

14. - Top - End - #1364

Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post

And the non-spoilers edition:
    Spoiler
    Show

Having read the book, that picture made me tear up a little.

15. - Top - End - #1365
    Banned

GAH

LATE REPLY IS LATE
    Because my phone died and then I had to toil for the overmasters be a cashier for a bit. I'm going to pretend that nopony said anything and the mods just edited stuff in behind me.

Quote Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
    [FFRP] Magic Is Meticulous

Quoted for noted, standing by...
    I love this phrase. May I use it, pray?

Derpy-Dinky dithering (S2E5):
    Spoiler
    Show
    Some versions of the fanon have Dinky as adopted which does make the age thing less awkward. Or Derpy could be older than commonly thought.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I find it to work like a hallmark card; Dinky n Derpy are cute if you don't pay them too much mind. Think about it and it all falls apart; who is Dinky's papa? Is Derpy retarded (as she is commonly portrayed), and if so why are they letting her raise a child?

Myself, I think Derpy Is like Beeskee. Plenty smart, also silly. Why dress in bags? Because she knew everypony would think it was cute. She plays along is all.

What ever happened to Bobcat? I remember reading some of his fics when he first wrote them.
    I don't pretend to speak for him, but as I recall he went on a trip to Honduras for work. It depressed him, and coming back to being a thread and a half behind depressed him. He also said he didn't like the general direction of the fandom and felt that his attempts to steer it in a better direction were fruitless; he was throwing himself against a mountain over and over, and knew he couldn't win.

Myself? I wonder if we could convince him he has hD an impact. Wasn't he the one who said Lyra was married to the sea?

And then Lyra was the seapony.

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboyinc View Post
    I think the problem with trying to guess the cast's age is that we are connecting their age with how a human would act at that age.

Ponies probably mature at a faster rate than humans, given that most other animals do. Combine that with the fact that we don't know the average lifespan of an Equestrian Pony, and it suddenly becomes impossible to figure out.

Until we get an official answer, it's impossible for us to know.
    They are a magical race of sentients, who have a history that measures for a millennium, and a well-adjusted adult was a teenager in "the 80s". I think the error everypony makes, if they don't like the implied and almost explicit pony years = human years theory, is that they probably live longer. Their life is idyllic. They have advanced medicine (magic), an abundance of healthy mental and emotional relationships, a good dose of exercise and very little acute stress. Each pony probably ages relatively quickly (achieving majority at 25 or so) and lives for 2-4 hundred years.

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    SIUIS! The IRC has decided you owe Braz SEXY AOTRS!
    Not happening. Ignoring that I could get around your implication by pointing out that the acronym applies to an army, and just grabbing Hopereaver for a bit, I already know Bleakbane's future quantum opinion of the picture. I know his response. And while I value having only a couple discrete bones in my cranium, I couldn't blame him for multiplying them.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Fox View Post
    You know, funny story... I walked into work on Friday, and threw in a Kureg Cup, and started brewing coffee. Leaning on the machine like I do every morning at that ungodly hour, I glance to my left. And Rainbow Dash is staring back at me.

I was easily the most confused person on the planet for a moment, and was happy because I thought that meant I was still asleep and going completely and totally ponysane.
    That's hilarious.
    It could only have been better if you'd rolled with it. *turns to RainbowDash* ...
    RD: ...
    Jade: ...how you doin'?

*Cackles* Yeeeesss... You have let pony into all facets of your life, you have embraced it fully... Now do the same, and let your life into all facets of pony. Become one with Equestria my friend...
    Beneath the joking exterior, that's actually rather insightful. Thank you.

OH SWEET CELESTIA WHAT IS THAT THING?!
    The moon whale? It's a whale. From the moon.

Jade:

SiuiS.

I wonder where you've been.

And then suddenly

Out of nowhere.

You return.

With.

This.

I rode out of the IRC yodeling on the back of a moonwhale. I figured this was the natural end to such a tale.

I mean, I could ride back out of thread, if you'd like...

Quote Originally Posted by The Unborne View Post
    Well now, I think I've lurked these past twenty threads long enough. I have to say, I only read and didn't post because I could never find anything I could contribute.

But that ends today! With my new ponified avatar and exciting news that I'm editing the second and future episodes of this little gem, I can safely say that I feel like I'm contributing to the herd for once!

Anyways, onto the episode:

Spoiler
    Show
    Anyone else get teary-eyed when Rarity looked at Sweetie Belle's picture?
    A little, aye. The whole episode was one big uncomfortable reminder that I'm not an only child, and was kind of a prima-donna myself...

Also, good to see ya! Last I saw you was like, Avatar is magic page 25 or thereabouts.

So she's about to suplex Twilight?
    That's what they tell scootaloo when she walks in.

"no! we were just, Uh... Wrestling!"

I rewatched Dragonshy recently and a few things really caught my attention. For representing the element of Loyalty, Rainbow Dash sure gives up on Fluttershy pretty fast and wants to leave her behind. And for representing the element of Honesty, Applejack seems awfully willing to slip in a few white lies to make Fluttershy feel better about herself. I know there's been some past speculation as to why Applejack and Rainbow Dash have their respective elements, and this just raises more questions for me.
    It's a multifaceted issue. Honesty means more than just "tells the truth". She is true to herself, open about who she is and what she believes. She is without any real guile or duplicity.

And to be fair, Fluttershy was holding up the mission because, despite shooting an aurora beam at the evil moon queen, she was scared she wasn't strong or brave enough to go with them. I've been in RD's boat; moat times, calmly talking it over doesn't work unless the person knows you to be rational and looking out for their best interests. Enraging them into trying better is the easiest. Sloppiest too, but... *shrug*

Quote Originally Posted by Vent Reynolt View Post
    If it helps a bit, I feel the same way that you feel about the chat. Even when I'm in the chat, I feel so overwhelmed that by the time I've posted anything, the rest of the group has moved on to another discussion.
    Aye. IRC is just like the thread, with many conversations going at once. I make a point o trying to address everypony, but it's not always feasible. For example; Kris_Strife tends to ask me questions only after I'm dropped by the client and remain logged in as a 'ghost'. He spent a full day or two trying to get an answer to a question I never heard.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeejimbo View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Oh yeah, kids watch this show.*

I keep forgetting.
    I know, right? Weird.
    Good to see you again by the bye.
    Last edited by SiuiS; 2011-11-06 at 09:14 PM.

16. - Top - End - #1366
    Titan in the Playground

Didn't you hear? Bacon is a vegetable.

17. - Top - End - #1367

So are we starting to propose names yet for the next thread? With all the fuss over sisterhood after this last episode, and since we didn't use it after the Luna episode, I think "Season 2 ruined my fanon" should be considered
    Proof-reading is totally unnecessary in the digital age now that we have spell cheque.

Pony thread's official Element of Youtube

18. - Top - End - #1368

Spoiler
    Show

There! Done!
    Spoiler
    Show

Not so familiar with the fanons, but how bad would it be to have Sparkler as a sister? Derpy wasn't a filly in the past during the CMC, and considering that Applejack and Rarity have sisters as young as Dinky...it's quite possible Derpy has two daughters with the same age difference as the mane cast.

19. - Top - End - #1369
    Ettin in the Playground

Okay. I'm not sure which I like better.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Learning that Rarity really is putting on posh pretensions to cover for more humble origins

or

The whole uncouth gag with Applebloom.

Also, Sweetie Bell keeps growing on me. Started in earnest in Lesson Zero, but whenever she's confused (apple pie, I really like her... mane?) she becomes the most adorable thing this side of Scootaloo.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

20. - Top - End - #1370
    Ogre in the Playground

Actually this is a fair point. While I'm not sure if hipster are the next Dead Unicorn Trope like "emo" of previous years thus don't actually exist except in the mind of their detractors.... I trust you do recognize that everything is deserving of analysis. Otherwise we end up with poor analysis in general because we allow preconceptions to rule over reason. Unfortunately little of substance is present in the main subject of this discussion. ;)
    I don't want to live in a world in which the sociological journal Hipsters would fill a sorely empty niche in the academic community. It's not that some stupid fashion trend is completely unworthy of scholarly evaluation, it's that some stupid fashion trend is completely unworthy of reams of scholarly evaluation.
    Last edited by Kindablue; 2011-11-06 at 09:44 PM.
    ... I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams.

21. - Top - End - #1371
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Neoseanster View Post
    My doodles from the Ponythread learn-to-draw page.

One of the pictures are based on Sisterhooves Social, so if you're avoiding spoilers for it, just move along, nothing to see here.

Spoiler
    Show

And, source images for each:
    Spoiler
    Show

More pony drawings by the thread make me deliriously happy! Good work Neo!

Heh. I have a paper due tomorrow, and I spent a good chunk of today writing a multiparagraph critique of an sociological analysis of the MLP fandom.

In other news, my DJ-PON3 shirt came today! And a sticker of steampunk Twilight! Pics for those who care (sorry about quality):
    Spoiler
    Show

That shirt is awesome and you should feel awesome!

Spoiler
    Show

There! Done!
    This is adorable and you should feel adorable!

Quote Originally Posted by Istari View Post
    Having read the book, that picture made me tear up a little.
    Indeed...
    This Machine Surrounds Hate And Forces It To Surrender

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.
    Ponythread Learns to Draw!

Spoiler
    Show
    Bleeeeh! Alfalfa Monster!

22. - Top - End - #1372
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

There! Done!
    Episode 5 spoiler thing:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Why can't Derpy just have Dinky as a sister? It's obvious the fandom has misinterpreted the relative ages of the ponies present. Dinky and Derpy are sister material, fo sho.

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    I self-identified as a hipster before hipster self-identification was cool.

Of course, I only say that with layers of irony.
    And now you need a Dave pony avatar. Put on a few more levels of irony and you'll graduate to a Bro pony.

23. - Top - End - #1373

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Fox View Post
    *Glomps* Thanks!
    *Is Glomped* No problem. Just be sure to let us know if you decide that we should refer to you as "her".

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    LIES
    LIES AND SLANDER
    I guess you're right...

Lich in socks really can't compare to stupid socksy Lixie!

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    For once I'm agreeing with you.
    My Face when I realized that Lix really doesn't like socks, and I'm probably just being obnoxious:

I'm sorry.
    "Why is it that we receive a penny for our thoughts, but have to put in our 2 cents?"

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

I got an award!
    Spoiler
    Show

Fluttershy in the Playground - third place

24. - Top - End - #1374
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Spoiler
    Show

There! Done!
    S2E5
    Spoiler
    Show
    On a related note, Sweetie Belle was allowed to start and make it to the first obstacle of the race with a pony who isn't her sister. So, yeah, the fact that two ponies see each other as sisters is probably more important than whether they are related or not.

Anyway, I found the episode very sweet and funny. Rarity and her family are great. I'm pretty sure her parents are some kind of stereotype or based on certain characters, but I can't remember what or who.

Oh, and here are Angel and Fluttershy being adorable.

http://ponibooru.413chan.net/post/vi...tist%3Arusselh

25. - Top - End - #1375

Spoiler
    Show

The day the land of Equestria was shaken to its foundations.
    ADVENTURE!!!!!

My current story ponies-Ponylagann in the Ponythread.
    Spoiler
    Show

NightScream
    Ponyard
    SkyRocket
    Filly Pokey Pierce

26. - Top - End - #1376

Quote Originally Posted by Rebelhero View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

The day the land of Equestria was shaken to its foundations.
    ... Is it bad that all I can think of is Planet of the Apes?

... or in this case, Planet of the Ponies?

27. - Top - End - #1377
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Trazoi View Post
    Well that's me putting my hoof in my mouth by basing my statement on my own personal collection, which is about half Aussie/British comedy series (released by season, where a season is 6 to 8 shows) and most of the rest American animation (also released by season which is huge, but also individually where each DVD is 4 to 5 shows).

I've seen complete series of children's animation out before, but from what I remember there's also been plenty where that's not the case. I couldn't remember ever seeing a complete series of the Powerpuff Girls out anywhere other than Japan for some reason.
    I do see complete season boxes for children's programs, but off the top of my head they run towards shows that have long been completed like Thundercats and Voltron. They do happen but the cycle seems to take a longer when I remember something like Lost or Battlestar Galactica, the season DVD came out almost as soon as the season was done so anyone could catch up over the summer before the new season airs.

Which now that I think about it gives me an idea let me add one more ingredient. Scanning Amazon I'm finding most DVDs in the Kids & Family running between $10-$15 dollars... so I think I can diagnose this.

First kids cartoons tend to get a lot of replay. I could watch pony on the Hub probably every day. So holding onto the DVDs (in marketing's mind) may improve a show's syndication value. Second in marketing's mind kids will have either small allowances or be talking their parents into buying these DVDs. The notion that fans with their own money might put it down, is alien to the stereotyping. So the drive is to keep the price down to easier splurge levels. So you wind up with single discs bits of a season, encourage divide and conquer tactics for greater profits while keeping costs on any particular set down. Thus a Season box has a greater hurdle against it then for adult programming where people have shown they will shell out greater amounts of money.

Mind you DVDs are a more rigged market then diamonds so its never fair but if my zero education in economics may serve here I think I figured it out. We can expect season 1 in a box set... when season 3 or 4 is rolling.

(On a side note there is a complete PPG in existence, though um I'm not sure if that helps you in Australia. Sorting by relevance still turned up... VHS *shudder*)

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

That's what they tell scootaloo when she walks in.

"no! we were just, Uh... Wrestling!"
    Well that would be umm true to the spirit of Nanoha I guess.... but my real point is that I think Trixie would be the Fate to Twilight's Nanoha. Because seriously Friendship equally FULL POWER TOTAL DESTRUCTION makes much much more sense that way

Which would make Scootaloo Vivio then.... and RD would have to be Nove I guess with Applebloom as Einhart Stratos?

Quote Originally Posted by Eakin View Post
    So are we starting to propose names yet for the next thread? With all the fuss over sisterhood after this last episode, and since we didn't use it after the Luna episode, I think "Season 2 ruined my fanon" should be considered
    I'm down with that. Way back some pony suggested umm "Friendship Is Herpes" from my colorful disturbing metaphor. But I only include it for completeness sakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Kindablue View Post
    I don't want to live in a world in which the sociological journal Hipsters would fill a sorely empty niche in the academic community. It's not that some stupid fashion trend is completely unworthy of scholarly evaluation, it's that some stupid fashion trend is completely unworthy of reams of scholarly evaluation.
    I severely doubt you could fill a journal on the matter, nor was that called for. Any particular aspect of sociology that could fill a journal on its own I suspect has already become its own field like "women's" or "ethnic" studies. Essays would be appropriate and still require smallish reams I think. Possibly a sidebar in a detailed text on this time frame.

Ultimately though once one ascribes worthiness to scholarly evaluation one has taken the first step towards biased understandings.

28. - Top - End - #1378

Computer issues. two days.
    no pony.
    Was able to glean the first 2 minutes of episode
    no pony.
    Noticed issues corresponded with decrease in pony as process time was made for web programming
    no pony.

System cannot handle this little pony.

pony.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

29. - Top - End - #1379

Quote Originally Posted by Eakin View Post
    I like "Season 2 ruined my fanon" myself. I've had nothing actually ruined but certain things have been shaken or even bent by this last week's events.

30. - Top - End - #1380
    Orc in the Playground

I think the DVDs are only going to be 2-3 episodes each for $20 a disc. All current children's programming gets sold like that. Captive market and all. There'll be a boxed set eventually.

More comments including a rant on the limitations of DRM:
    Spoiler
    Show

I would have already bought all the episodes on iTunes, but that program won't let me burn it to DVD. I was so miffed when I just flat-out couldn't burn Dr. Horrible to a DVD to take it somewhere else and play it. Yes, I know there's some work-around to rip the content out of iTunes and into an unlocked format so it's actually usable, but I shouldn't have to do that once I've purchased it. And, just like with video games, those who download the unauthorized rips have no problems whatsoever, only those who legally bought the stuff get screwed. *sad*
    Happy Trixie Appreciation Day!

PonyFort: IC and OOC threads.