New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Mr.Silver has brought your fix: Random Banter #206

Quote Originally Posted by chaotic stupid View Post
    i always feel awkward making a new thread, i have to reread what i'm typing numerous times while wondering "does this make sense to anyone who isn't me?"

does this happen to anyone else?
    On my good days, yeah. On the bad ones I just post it and never even realize it makes no sense to anyone else.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

Zodalicious the story of your potatoes makes me sad. Garden potatoes should be shared, not wasted in a mouldering hoard. A gardener should know better!

Quote Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
    Get some pet rats. They're very friendly and mice won't go where they smell rat. For an explanation, see Rat mouse-killing behavior.
    Muricide. Now that is a word I will keep close to my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuthalion View Post
    Thanks. There is a pair of them who feed in the backyard. Somehow, none of the birds have realized that it is safer and better to go straight to the birdfeeder rather than eating seeds under it.

Well... you swing an extremely sharp blade in a scything method. Waaay funner than a lawnmower. The problem is getting the angle just right so as to cut the maximum of grass. Also edges of things. I want to use one in a big open field sometime. I may have to visit Teddy someday, we'll see.
    A lot of these little birds are used to browsing for seeds from the ground, I think. It suits their instincts better. This makes me want to put a bird feeder in my garden, only I know those fat gray squirrels would become even more of a nuisance. RODENTS *skyfist*

It's difficult for me to imagine how this activity looks and feels. I'm sure it works brilliantly and I'll just have to try it. In my mind I picture the blade just pushing the grass over, and then sinking directly into my shin.

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    This, mostly. There's actually a lot of technique to it, because not only do you want to maximise the amount of grass cut, you also want to keep an as sharp angle to the grass as possible to cut it properly, especially if your scythe isn't as sharp as Cuth's.

And you'll be very welcome, Cutie-Lion! We can always use another hand to keep those fields properly tended to. The trees kind of want to reclaim them...
    ME TOO
    CAN I BE YOUR FAMILY'S ENIGMATIC GARDENER WHO WEARS A PLAID SHIRT AND TOQUE AND DOESN'T SPEAK ANY SWEDISH
    AND WHENEVER SOMEONE TELLS ME TO DO SOMETHING I'M LIKE, JA HERRN OR JA FRUN IN A FUNNY ACCENT

Quote Originally Posted by Taet View Post
    Oh! I never thought that the seed was the problem. But then I am not sure what I thought. That the budgies would try and attack the mice? That the mice would chew on the tails of the budgies?

I do not know how the grape farms keep the birds off the grapes. I should go down there and ask. And also ask how to get a local wine bottle sealed with duty free tape so it can go on a plane in luggage and not get poured out at the security line. Small local wine growers do not make tiny airplane friendly bottles most of the time and there is a wine drinker on the other end of a flight from here.
    It is a terrible thing to wake up in the middle of the night hearing your budgie flapping around inside her covered cage in a panic. ;___;

And yet: can the wine not be placed in checked luggage? For a reasonable amount may be transported without penalty, so long as it be labelled. I mean what are we talking about here, a blank demijohn of hooch?

Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    I think this is one of the best things ever. And when you think about it, in English you say spirits to refer to strong alcohol. IT'S IN OUR SOULS. THE ALCOHOL COMES FROM WITHIN.
    This is reeeally making me want a drink, and I haven't even had lunch. I wonder if there's any akavit...

HELLO HALOON
    HALUBALU

3. - Top - End - #123
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    I think this is one of the best things ever. And when you think about it, in English you say spirits to refer to strong alcohol. IT'S IN OUR SOULS. THE ALCOHOL COMES FROM WITHIN.
    Swedish "Akvavit" comes from aqua vitae, meaning "water of life".

Oooh, and that's a bad miss.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

4. - Top - End - #124
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    It's difficult for me to imagine how this activity looks and feels. I'm sure it works brilliantly and I'll just have to try it. In my mind I picture the blade just pushing the grass over, and then sinking directly into my shin.
    Well, then you would be doing it wrong. Very wrong, in fact, since you arc the blade in front of you, and the handle makes it practically impossible for it to come any closer. It'd be easier to cut yourself when swinging a sword.

As for how it actually looks and feels, well, you neither move your arms nor legs when operating a scythe (not counting the steps you have to take between each swing). Instead, you hold the scythe handle diagonally and swing it by turning your torso. To make sure you cut the grass properly, you'll want the scythe blade to almost point in the same direction as you swing it, only differing enough to cut a decimetre or two forward through the grass. Then you just swing, step forward, swing, step forward, and so on.

ME TOO
    CAN I BE YOUR FAMILY'S ENIGMATIC GARDENER WHO WEARS A PLAID SHIRT AND TOQUE AND DOESN'T SPEAK ANY SWEDISH
    AND WHENEVER SOMEONE TELLS ME TO DO SOMETHING I'M LIKE, JA HERRN OR JA FRUN IN A FUNNY ACCENT
    This! Yes! So much this! So much yes!

And yet: can the wine not be placed in checked luggage? For a reasonable amount may be transported without penalty, so long as it be labelled. I mean what are we talking about here, a blank demijohn of hooch?
    Isn't this what the customs are for? I mean, it'll probably cost a bit extra, but it'll definitely be legal...
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

ME TOO
    Ooh invite me too, I want to be non-Swedish/Swedish gardner helper person!

HELLO HALOON
    HALUBALU
    Indeed, hellos Bilbeneken! (I'm sure you can see what I did ). How does it go for you this day? Or whichever day you next post here.

Greeting also to Teddy, because I can. *hugses* How does the day go for you? Forgive me for still not knowing time differences very well. ^_^;
    Spoiler: Sigs about the Internet and Life
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Amidus Drexel View Post
    Yeah... even if it's a fairly friendly place by the internet's standards... it's still the internet. A certain level of pedantic bickering is to be expected.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    The forums can't universally agree that the sun will rise in the east. Disagreement is what we do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacior
    If I can get a pet dinosaur, I totally will. My low wisdom means a raptor looks like a great guard dog.

Awesome Holy Knight Haluesen avatar done by the uber skilled Grinner!

6. - Top - End - #126
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by chaotic stupid View Post
    i always feel awkward making a new thread, i have to reread what i'm typing numerous times while wondering "does this make sense to anyone who isn't me?"

does this happen to anyone else?
    This happens to me whenever I write a post. Half of the time I post, I see one word that just doesn't look right to me. I then change it, post it, realize that my first word choice was better, edit it, realize that I messed up some formatting, edit it again, and realize that actually no, the word I first used was better, so I edit once again.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Haluesen View Post
    Ooh invite me too, I want to be non-Swedish/Swedish gardner helper person!
    Yes, you too! In fact, I invite everyone to a single, huge scything party!

Greeting also to Teddy, because I can. *hugses* How does the day go for you? Forgive me for still not knowing time differences very well. ^_^;
    *kramhugses*

I'm 9 hours ahead of you, so it's pretty much bedtime for me, and my day isn't going as much as it has gone. That said, my day has gone well. Nothing exciting on my end, really. I learned from observation that woodpeckers mark their territory not by singing, but by pecking it rapid bursts at dry branches like they were drums when out walking, and met a man who told me that if you beat a stick against a dry branch in a similar fashion, the woodpecker will believe there's another male intruding on his territory and come to you.

I also gave dad a little help while he pulled the optic fibre cable we're installing down below the house foundation and down under the house, but that was mainly his effort, and more fun to mention because I like doing work like this...
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

8. - Top - End - #128
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cuthalion View Post
    Is that what you tried to PM me about?
    Indeed it is!
    Quote Originally Posted by Razanir View Post
    And what exactly is the Card Ceremony?

And okay, I'll wear my best monkey suit.

Spoiler
    Show
    It's the accumulation of the months of hard work the Random Banter members performed, starring Special Guest of Honour, TechoScrabble!
    Quote Originally Posted by jhunter_d View Post
    Woo! Where do you attend?
    Right here! It wouldn't be a Random Banter Card Ceremony without Random Banter, would it?
    Ooh that really is happening now? Alrighty I shall do my best, I have the perfect clothing.
    Hooray!

9. - Top - End - #129

Quote Originally Posted by TaiLiu View Post
    Right here! It wouldn't be a Random Banter Card Ceremony without Random Banter, would it?
    Cool! I thought that maybe it'd be hosted on a special Chatango room or something, but I'm glad it's on Random Banter! By the way, thanks for putting this whole project together! I'm sure that TechnoScrabble very much appreciates it.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Titan in the Playground

I know I've complained about this class a lot before, but... this is just insane.

1) "Even if you believe in god, you must believe in the book [in heaven]..." If you don't believe in heaven, why would you believe in a book that's supposed to reside there?
    2) What on earth does said book in heaven have to do with AI pathing?! I mean I get what the perfect tic-tac-toe game has to do with AI and I get what that has to do with game engines, but a BOOK that you have to believe in even if you don't?!

Please knock me out until my clothes are out of style
    Last edited by HalfTangible; 2014-04-16 at 07:26 PM.

Extended Sig

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

Cool! I thought that maybe it'd be hosted on a special Chatango room or something, but I'm glad it's on Random Banter!
    Well, considering that we're all from different time zones, the thing would be a bloody mess!
    By the way, thanks for putting this whole project together! I'm sure that TechnoScrabble very much appreciates it.
    Bah - I am but a minor contributor; the project would be nothing without others.
    Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    I know I've complained about this class a lot before, but... this is just insane.

1) "Even if you believe in god, you must believe in the book [in heaven]..." If you don't believe in heaven, why would you believe in a book that's supposed to reside there?
    2) What on earth does said book in heaven have to do with AI pathing?! I mean I get what the perfect tic-tac-toe game has to do with AI and I get what that has to do with game engines, but a BOOK that you have to believe in even if you don't?!

What an odd class.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

When will you be unveiling the card, Tai?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground

Well... This week's been the busiest not busy week I've had partially thanks to my sister giving Mum a kitten for her birthday. >.>

ION, I'm finding parcel tracking too entertaining.
    ...I should get a hobby.
    I go by they/them/their or he/him/his pronouns

14. - Top - End - #134
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AtlanteanTroll View Post
    When will you be unveiling the card, Tai?
    This week, of course!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Dragon View Post
    Well... This week's been the busiest not busy week I've had partially thanks to my sister giving Mum a kitten for her birthday. >.>
    Oo, another feline. Any photos?
    ION, I'm finding parcel tracking too entertaining.
    ...I should get a hobby.
    Parcel tracking is a hobby! Tracking anything exciting?

15. - Top - End - #135

Is this the same teacher who somehow turned a lecture about coordinate systems into a political rant?

16. - Top - End - #136
    Titan in the Playground

Is this the same teacher who somehow turned a lecture about coordinate systems into a political rant?
    I don't really remember that one, but yeah.

Extended Sig

17. - Top - End - #137
    Titan in the Playground

I don't really remember that one, but yeah.
    What... What is he actually suppose to teach?

18. - Top - End - #138
    Titan in the Playground

What... What is he actually suppose to teach?
    The class is Game Engines. I'm supposed to be learning how to use them to create games.

I'm learning nothing I didn't learn in Advanced Levelling, which I'm pretty sure was a prerequisite for this course.

When I'm learning anything at all
    Last edited by HalfTangible; 2014-04-16 at 09:28 PM.

Extended Sig

19. - Top - End - #139
    Titan in the Playground

The class is Game Engines. I'm supposed to be learning how to use them to create games.

I'm learning nothing I didn't learn in Advanced Levelling, which I'm pretty sure was a prerequisite for this course.

When I'm learning anything at all
    Hm. Did you ask to get moved to a more qualified teacher's class?

20. - Top - End - #140
    Titan in the Playground

Hm. Did you ask to get moved to a more qualified teacher's class?
    I don't think that's a thing I can do.

If it is, I doubt it can be done 2 weeks before the class ends.

Extended Sig

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

I don't think that's a thing I can do.

If it is, I doubt it can be done 2 weeks before the class ends.
    Ah, I see. My condolences, then.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ogre in the Playground

I got babby shiggins!

http://oi59.tinypic.com/2625xcy.jpg (stupid new forum can't post images from a phone any more grumble mumble)
    GLORIOUS SOVIET SNAIL SUPERTECHNOLOGY

Comrade L.E.S.S. by The Mad Hatter!

Quote Originally Posted by Viper9090 View Post
    My weirdest nightmare has just been replaced.
    (Recaiden) He lives!
    (Firedaemon33) Ia! Ia! TechnoScrabble F'Taghn!
    My job requires I leave without warning or explanation sometimes. I should be back within a few days each time.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TechnoScrabble View Post
    I got babby shiggins!

http://oi59.tinypic.com/2625xcy.jpg (stupid new forum can't post images from a phone any more grumble mumble)
    Ah, TechnoScrabble, Guest of Honour! When do you want to start?

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    Yes, you too! In fact, I invite everyone to a single, huge scything party!

*kramhugses*

I'm 9 hours ahead of you, so it's pretty much bedtime for me, and my day isn't going as much as it has gone. That said, my day has gone well. Nothing exciting on my end, really. I learned from observation that woodpeckers mark their territory not by singing, but by pecking it rapid bursts at dry branches like they were drums when out walking, and met a man who told me that if you beat a stick against a dry branch in a similar fashion, the woodpecker will believe there's another male intruding on his territory and come to you.

I also gave dad a little help while he pulled the optic fibre cable we're installing down below the house foundation and down under the house, but that was mainly his effort, and more fun to mention because I like doing work like this...
    Yay! I will have to try scything too, it seems interesting. And I bet I can do it with a slim chance of hurting myself!

Definitely bed time as I am writing this, but ah well. The way time works around the world has always been such a curiosity to me. Sounds like a fair day though. Learning more of the world around us. I know only that our dogs like to bark at the woodpeckers.

Hmm and what is this cable for dear Teddy? I should know but somehow I don't. I've been up to a bit of house and yard work with my grandma. She really has a lot she wants done with this place.
    Spoiler: Sigs about the Internet and Life
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Amidus Drexel View Post
    Yeah... even if it's a fairly friendly place by the internet's standards... it's still the internet. A certain level of pedantic bickering is to be expected.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    The forums can't universally agree that the sun will rise in the east. Disagreement is what we do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacior
    If I can get a pet dinosaur, I totally will. My low wisdom means a raptor looks like a great guard dog.

Awesome Holy Knight Haluesen avatar done by the uber skilled Grinner!

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ogre in the Playground

Oo, another feline. Any photos?

Parcel tracking is a hobby! Tracking anything exciting?
    No, but I have a photo of my new gloves.

Spoiler
    Show

It is? It's not one I hope to do very often. I've been doing a bit of online shopping lately, though it's nice to have monies that have been spent on things as well as monies saved, monies loaned and monies on necessities.

I got babby shiggins!

[DUMBRANTING]This is why my phone just does phone stuff and I have a TabletPC! There are too many w...[/DUMBRANTING]

Awww, cute. ^^
    I go by they/them/their or he/him/his pronouns

26. - Top - End - #146
    Titan in the Playground

No, but I have a photo of my new gloves.

Spoiler
    Show
    Oh, nice - adjusters for a perfect-fitting glove! What is it made out of?
    It is? It's not one I hope to do very often. I've been doing a bit of online shopping lately, though it's nice to have monies that have been spent on things as well as monies saved, monies loaned and monies on necessities.
    Yes, having enough money is indeed excellent.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Colossus in the Playground

There has been a death in the family. More or less. My shoes, which I've owned for 6 years, have finally given up the ghost. I cannot in good conscious wear them, due to the bottom being torn out in such a way that walking is now a hazard. More then usual.

I don't know what it says about me that I'm genuinely sad to lose a pair of shoes. Probably bad things.

Speaking of bad things, @QWERTY: I posted in the League thread and everyone ignored me for a page. So helpful, much faith in community.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah, TechnoScrabble, Guest of Honour! When do you want to start?
    Whenever? I'm honestly not too sure what's going on and kinda nervous.
    GLORIOUS SOVIET SNAIL SUPERTECHNOLOGY

Comrade L.E.S.S. by The Mad Hatter!

Quote Originally Posted by Viper9090 View Post
    My weirdest nightmare has just been replaced.
    (Recaiden) He lives!
    (Firedaemon33) Ia! Ia! TechnoScrabble F'Taghn!
    My job requires I leave without warning or explanation sometimes. I should be back within a few days each time.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    There has been a death in the family. More or less. My shoes, which I've owned for 6 years, have finally given up the ghost. I cannot in good conscious wear them, due to the bottom being torn out in such a way that walking is now a hazard. More then usual.

I don't know what it says about me that I'm genuinely sad to lose a pair of shoes. Probably bad things.
    Oh, I'm certain they were good shoes!
    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Speaking of bad things, @QWERTY: I posted in the League thread and everyone ignored me for a page. So helpful, much faith in community.
    Maybe they just didn't see the comment. It happens.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Titan in the Playground

Whenever? I'm honestly not too sure what's going on and kinda nervous.
    Oh, it's just a small, casual event with lots of rampant virtual alcoholism and monkey suits.

Hm. Maybe we'll start in a few hours, if that's okay with you?