New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 50 of 51 FirstFirst ... 25404142434445464748495051 LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,500 of 1502
  1. - Top - End - #1471
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: [Rail] Academy City OOC II : ONEESAMA!!!!

True Anyr. I wasn't sure if anyone wanted do some more school scenes. TOb io is actually talking to Mrs. Nimori right now. Though after that scene I was going to have him find some trouble to get into with GATE hopefully.

I have a brand spanking new character in Ryuji to break in by having him meet parts of the cast.

Crocell after he finishes his detention could have a mahjong rematch with Jirou, having used his detention to actually learn the rules of Mahjong. Heck maybe he gets into a fight with some thugs, he is certainly the type to.

So yeah Crocell and Ryuji can start up some scenes as well.

2. - Top - End - #1472
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anyr View Post
    Well, the latter can't really do much right now; His main character is lying comatose in a hospital bed, and most of his lesser ones are far away from the 'action'. As far as the main plot goes, Terry really is the linchpin here.

However, that's not to say that the whole game has to remain frozen. Even if we can't advance the main plot, we can at least play out a few side stories while we're waiting. I for one have got a ton of random characters who are currently available for scenes: For example, should Animekid be looking for some RP, perhaps GATE could execute the next stage of their nefarious plans for Tobio; Or maybe Jirou and Crocell could have a rematch. Likewise, Kin could easily run into Mei at school, either as an established friend/enemy or a total stranger. And as for Yori, there's always that fight with Katashi; I have no idea why they'd be fighting, but I'm sure we could think of a reason. Regardless, it shouldn't be hard for those of us who are restless to get together and work something out.
    Katashi is one of the GATE guys, right? And GATE is one of the less savory elements of Academy City; doing dirty work for them, correct?

Assuming that I'm remembering this correctly, it's well within the realm of possibility that some member of Yori's team accidentally alerts the shadowy ruling body of the City to what Yori is doing, and they dispatch him to supervise/spy on/shut down/take over/etc. the G.E.A.R. project. Conflict from there is easy; or, if you want, there can be some less violent interaction between the two.

It's feasible.
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #1473
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Duos View Post
    Katashi is one of the GATE guys, right? And GATE is one of the less savory elements of Academy City; doing dirty work for them, correct?
    Right on both counts. Katashi is the 'boss' of GATE, in more ways than one; He was designed to be an extremely powerful opponent who shows himself only for high level encounters (ala Kakine vs Accelerator), curbstomp battles, or triumphant finales where a team of plucky protagonists uses careful planning and teamwork to defeat him. As such, he seems like a good match for Yori. They both have great defences and manoeuvrability, so neither is at much risk even if they get into a serious brawl. They'd be free to go at each other hammer and tongs, at least until the inevitable 'we'll meet again' moment.

Anyway, I'm ready to start whenever you like. Just post IC when you're ready, and I'll follow suit.

4. - Top - End - #1474
    Pixie in the Playground

My apologies, I have been busy doing a crapton of Uni assignments. I'm done with them now and I have a little breather to go till exams. I'll post in a couple hours.

5. - Top - End - #1475
    Bugbear in the Playground

I

HAFF

returned

I shall post and the Game can resume.

Oh god as terrible as that sounds, it is totally true. Stupid plot central characters.
    I make avatars. Send me a request.
    BiTP:RCharacters
    Let's Play: Video Games!
    I suffer from major insomnia, don't be surprised if I'm on at odd hours.

6. - Top - End - #1476

Hey you know who are cool?

The Alphas.

Kiritsugu Mikado
    Spoiler
    Show

Height: 6'2"
    Alias: The Gentleman.

Personality:
    Spoiler
    Show

Mikado has a hair-trigger temper, and the strength to back it up. However, when he's not angered, he's unusually calm, and scorns the very idea of violence - despite causing most of the problems Academy City faces himself.

Appearance:
    Spoiler
    Show

Mikado has atrociously messy blonde hair, and is usually seen wearing a suit and a set of sunglasses, which gave him his nickname in the first place. He usually slings the suit jacket over his shoulder, preferring the white suit shirt and black vest underneath it.

Ability: Limit Breakthrough
    Spoiler
    Show

Mikado's ability attaches the limitations of the human body to his temper, allowing him to break past them if he becomes enraged. On most normal people, this would break bones.

Mikado is not normal. He has used this ability most of his life, thanks to the Program he was entered into, and his bones have slowly become resistant to the damage that they would normally sustain when put under the pressure of his ability.

Backstory:
    Spoiler
    Show

Shizuo was picked up by the Alphas easily.

He lived in an orphanage after all, and was not very well liked. He had no one. Mikado had never had anyone, and he didn't need anyone. He adjusted well to life in the Program, and exited with "Fit to live among society".

Mikado was not fit to live in society. He was a violent man, and detests most of the other members of the Alphas program. He was out of work, out of money, and out of a job.

He maintains a single steady job as a mercenary - willing to sell his services to whoever, whenever.

Despite Alphas being featured heavily in multiple plotlines, I believe this is the first character sheet that has been made for one.
    Last edited by Terry576; 2012-05-30 at 02:34 PM.

7. - Top - End - #1477
    Pixie in the Playground

@Terry

IZAAAAYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Last edited by Lord-Cao-Cao; 2012-05-30 at 08:47 AM.

8. - Top - End - #1478

@Lord Cao Cao

SHHH MY BLATANT EXPY IS NOT AS BLATANT AS YOU THINK

OKAY HE TOTALLY IS
    Last edited by Terry576; 2012-05-30 at 02:33 PM.

9. - Top - End - #1479
    Pixie in the Playground

TERRY.

hurry up and post, man

seriously

10. - Top - End - #1480

Short vacation

seriously

I have free time forever now though.

11. - Top - End - #1481
    Ettin in the Playground

Yori gives the man a dismissive wave and walks off around a corner, the air stretching bizarrely as he folds space onto itself and steps through a fold in reality onto the street a few blocks away.
    This illustrates something which has bothered me for a while. Does anyone else think that Yori's power is a little too flexible? In particular, his skill with portals has turned out to be much greater than I expected. I was honestly surprised when he created that portal back at the hospital, which spanned several floors and targeted a place which he couldn't even see. Now that it turns out that he can do the same thing over even longer distances, I'm becoming a little uneasy. With this sort of power at his disposal, why can't Yori just win the upcoming arc whenever he likes?

Now, don't misunderstand. Obviously Yori is supposed to be an extremely tough opponent whose defeat won't be easy. But given what we've seen so far, it almost seems like Hajime, Moroe and Shougo will be dead before they have a chance to blink.

12. - Top - End - #1482
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anyr View Post
    This illustrates something which has bothered me for a while. Does anyone else think that Yori's power is a little too flexible? In particular, his skill with portals has turned out to be much greater than I expected. I was honestly surprised when he created that portal back at the hospital, which spanned several floors and targeted a place which he couldn't even see. Now that it turns out that he can do the same thing over even longer distances, I'm becoming a little uneasy. With this sort of power at his disposal, why can't Yori just win the upcoming arc whenever he likes?

Now, don't misunderstand. Obviously Yori is supposed to be an extremely tough opponent whose defeat won't be easy. But given what we've seen so far, it almost seems like Hajime, Moroe and Shougo will be dead before they have a chance to blink.
    Why doesn't Lex Luthor just kill Superman? He's had him helpless at least a dozen times but he's left him alive to gloat or something and it allows him to escape just in the nick of time and save the day.

Same answer: Yori is the villain. By necessity, he cannot kill the protagonists because that would defeat the purpose of having a story arc in the first place. "I kill you instantly" hardly makes for good storytelling; it's all about the struggle to defeat evil and make the world a better place.

However, Yori needs to APPEAR dangerous and powerful. We all know that the good guys are going to eventually triumph and Yori will end up defeated, but we try to forget that for the sake of the story. A good villain makes the CHARACTERS scared to confront him despite the PLAYERS meta-knowledge that they will win in the end. Although, I would advise caution when confronting him anyways, because "I defeat you easily simply because you're the bad guy" is just as boring as the villain nuking the protagonists at the start of the story arc.

-----

As far as MECHANICAL reasons why you don't need to be worried? Yori's power is actually kind of 'slow'. He has to concentrate to bend or tear space, giving time to react; he can only create one such breach at a time; and his power only affects the physical realm-if somebody, for example, has an ESPer power that lets them make people they look at fall asleep, he can't do anything about it.

If you're still worried, you can always apply Harry Dresden's patented Wizard Solution: Apply .50 caliber bullet from range to unsuspecting target. Works on everything.
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #1483
    Ettin in the Playground

Why doesn't Lex Luthor just kill Superman? He's had him helpless at least a dozen times but he's left him alive to gloat or something and it allows him to escape just in the nick of time and save the day.

Same answer: Yori is the villain. By necessity, he cannot kill the protagonists because that would defeat the purpose of having a story arc in the first place. "I kill you instantly" hardly makes for good storytelling; it's all about the struggle to defeat evil and make the world a better place.

However, Yori needs to APPEAR dangerous and powerful. We all know that the good guys are going to eventually triumph and Yori will end up defeated, but we try to forget that for the sake of the story. A good villain makes the CHARACTERS scared to confront him despite the PLAYERS meta-knowledge that they will win in the end. Although, I would advise caution when confronting him anyways, because "I defeat you easily simply because you're the bad guy" is just as boring as the villain nuking the protagonists at the start of the story arc.
    Ah, it sounds like we have different philosophies when it comes to that sort of thing. I'm one of those nitpickers who find it hard to ignore plot holes, even when they're in the best interests of the story. The fact that only two mages have had the sense to simply shoot Touma is a frequent source of annoyance for me (especially since one of those two used a magic gun). As much as I enjoy playing out classic tropes, I enjoy them far more when they have good IC justifications...

As far as MECHANICAL reasons why you don't need to be worried? Yori's power is actually kind of 'slow'. He has to concentrate to bend or tear space, giving time to react; he can only create one such breach at a time; and his power only affects the physical realm-if somebody, for example, has an ESPer power that lets them make people they look at fall asleep, he can't do anything about it.
    ...like those. Yes, these should do very nicely. Thanks for taking the time to put a die-hard pedant's mind at ease.

If you're still worried, you can always apply Harry Dresden's patented Wizard Solution: Apply .50 caliber bullet from range to unsuspecting target. Works on everything.
    Except early Accelerator; And Kagun; And Vento; And Kazakiri; And a few others, no doubt. In the Toaruverse, there's no such thing as a sure-fire kill.

Incidentally, Katashi is also immune to this particular method; A fact not unconnected to his close association with an irate sniper who despises him...

14. - Top - End - #1484
    Ettin in the Playground

I love the fact you guys have kept this game alive. I really do. Does the soul good it does...but I should point out that you've reached page 50 and should probably think about getting yourselves a new OOC. Happy to set it up (with any changes you guys need made), but it should probably be done by someone.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

15. - Top - End - #1485
    Pixie in the Playground

ohai there, Callos!

I wasn't there for the first Railgun thread, but I wish I was.

I could set up the new thread once we hit the cap.

Or Terry could do it.

(speaking of which, terry, hurry up and post, you lazy bum.)

16. - Top - End - #1486
    Ettin in the Playground

Callos! Good to see you, oh illustrious founder. Care to put your feet up while we decide on a new thread title? There's always a chair set aside for you.

Hmm, how about...erm...'Send in the clones'? No, that's terrible...

17. - Top - End - #1487
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Soulful healing since the arc seems to currently be focused around Shiki? No that's stupid.

How about Justice shines through?

Wait are we talking about for the OOC thread or the IC thread? Cause both have hit the 50 page mark. Also delighted to meet/see you Callos. I love this thread and it has been a great experience for me to play in it.

18. - Top - End - #1488
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: [Rail] Academy City OOC II : ONEESAMA!!!!

Because there is always something or someone present who can stop the plan? Because they are written by one "Player" who does not have to share the storytelling with anyone else?

Both of those are not guaranteed in FFRPG, which is why there is more focus on balancing the power levels.
    Lex' plan might be fooled because the new CryptoniteRay9000 can be stopped by Oracle's hacking skills, but our villains' plans might be unstoppable because there is no super-hacker in our game.

That might stretch the suspension of disbelief if there is no other reason. You pointed out why Luthor did not kill Superman, arrogance and gloating. Yori needs a reason as well! ^_^

Actually, we do not know that. FFRPGs rarely follow a preplanned conclusion, the bad guys can win just as well as the good guys. Since we are so many "writers", the story does not have to follow one person's idea of how an arc should end. Otherwise we would only need one player, would we not? ^_~

Essentially, we cannot bend the rules on our own to make what we would consider a better story. Who knows if someone will not just think that the proper story should have an equally powerful hero? Or that the villain's powers should be stopped through a mcguffin that ruins the game for others? If we do not communicate and say what we intend before we do it, it just ends up being an argument about whether Bilver can defeat a Dragon. ^_^'

No problem here! Those sound like great weaknesses! ^_^

"Ooh! I can dodge that! Pick me!" ()
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

19. - Top - End - #1489
    Pixie in the Playground

Hey AnimeKid, what levels are those three girls, anyway?

Kikios' power sounds very similar to Kensukes' power, actually-In fact they are functionally identical. The 'speed up application' probably wouldn't work on its' own, especially with regards to healing-There'd be issues with heat distribution and energy (and nutrient) input required, and the 'slow down' application would quickly result in a very low energy level, not just 'wounds are slow to heal'.

Ringos' power is essentially the ability to harden things, right? Sounds good to me.

Atomic Reconstruction sounds like an incredibly powerful ability without restrictions (CORE COMMANDER).

But all in all, they're pretty cool.
    Last edited by Lord-Cao-Cao; 2012-06-06 at 03:40 PM.

20. - Top - End - #1490
    Ettin in the Playground

What's been happening in the game recently anyway? It's just odd because the OOC is still on my watch list, but I guess you guys wore ou the IC thread that still was.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

21. - Top - End - #1491
    Pixie in the Playground

Not much, actually, I think maybe ....Three? Four instory days have passed since the thread started. If I remember correctly, the story opened with Fuschichou Souji stalking Ishimaru Moroe, following to her house and then knocking a bullet out of the air. The next day he used Onizuka Middle Schools' PA to call a search for her. They eventually found her on the roof with Nimori Shougo and a fight broke out with the pair against half the school which stopped when Judgement came.

Shougo was hospitalised after the fight, after revealing to Moroe his bad blood with a local Esper gang, the Pure Streets. Souji fled from the authorities and coincidentally ended up meeting Ashikaga Daisuke, leader of the Pure Streets-They did not get along, and Daisuke called yet another search for Souji which he evaded by hiding in one of Daisukes' followers' houses, where they hid until the search was over. Moroe began looking for a way to help Shougo overcome the Pure Streets. Souji and co. eventually went out to an arcade, where they almost ran into a group of Judgement officers. Concurrently, Shougo, after hobbling to school in crutches, met Ishida Tobio and became his friend. Moroe found some leads for Shougo, and followed them till it led to the rescue of one of Daisukes' followers in exchange for information that then proved inconclusive She then ran into Adachi, a mad level 5 Esper and then indirectly killed Souji, turning him into Hajime, a 'blank slate'. After this, she went to visit Shougo in the hospital, encountering a group of people also involved in trying to bring the Pure Streets to justice as well as meeting a mysterious girl called Shiki. Shougo was healed by one of these people. She then got a message from one of the people who helped her on that previous trail, indicating that real evidence (footage from a videocam) did exist inside Daisukes' penthouse. With Shougo, she infiltrated it, but then it went awry when Daisukes' men discovered the fact that somebody had entered the building and had rifled through their rooms; Shougo sacrificed himself to draw attention away from Moroe and get more evidence, being dragged away, nearly dying and receiving terrible, permanent damage to his body and his brain in the process, although Moroe managed to get help quickly enough to save his life. Around the same time, Ishida Tobio, a shy young Judgement entree, faced off with some monsters and was found by Kamakura Mei, his senior and another Judgement agent. To take his mind off the recent turn of events, they went to the movies together (partly because Meis' planned date had not received her last-minute invitation). They became fast friends after that.

The day finished. Tobio heard about what had happened to Shougo and tried to find a cure for him, apparently to no avail. Hajime tried cooking breakfast for Moroe unsuccessfully. Moroe found out that Shiki can truly 'heal' people and is currently asking her if she can heal Shougo.

and that's all that's happened thus far, to cut the long story short-this is a highly summarised turn of events

And we would continue, if Terry would only hurry up and post.

22. - Top - End - #1492

Quote Originally Posted by AnimeKid View Post
    Soulful healing since the arc seems to currently be focused around Shiki? No that's stupid.
    Shiki's ability is perfect healing. She can heal anything, anywhere, with little to no effort. That's why she's wanted, and that's why she's so important.

Spoiler
    Show

Also at the end of the current arc she dies, introducing half the people involved to the dark side of Academy City.

Also, your three sisters? One of them (Atomic Reconstruction) has the power of Adachi, the penultimate villain? You might wanna change that, there's a reason the finale is Atomic Reconstruction.

I can set up the new IC thread because I need to post anyways.
    Last edited by Terry576; 2012-06-06 at 03:38 PM.

23. - Top - End - #1493
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

I thought Adachi had something to do with Nuclear energy? Plus her powers have a rather large time delay. Just her her to create ammonia with things she already has it takes her 13 seconds. With actually making other things it takes even longer since she would have to break down other things in order to get the atoms she needs. Also I forgot to put it down but she can only use naturally occuring elements. Not man made ones.

But I guess I can come up with another microscopic power for her.

As for Kikio I thought Kensukes ability had something to do with metabolism? Kikio is direction controling how fast your cells divide and replace other cells. Like it said doing so shortens the lifespan of whoever it's used on when the speed up process is used. The slow down process of cell stimulation is a functional immortality in the fact that it will take forever for you to die of old age.

As for levels Kikio is a level 4. Ringo is a level three and is trying to get up to Kikio's level. As for Seko I'm torn. I was going to has Seko be very withdrawn about her power in general. I was going to have Kikio and Ringo assume she was a level 5 when in reality it would be revealed later that she was a lower level or that there was something more to her power. I wanted to but am very hesitant to make her a gemstone based on what I read on the Psychic Powers Creation Guide

24. - Top - End - #1494

No, Adachi's ability is "Atomic Manipulation", allowing him to alter anything at an atomic level. It's kind of why he is the most powerful Level 5 in existence.

It's also basically Atomic Reconstruction.

25. - Top - End - #1495
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Callos_DeTerran View Post
    What's been happening in the game recently anyway? It's just odd because the OOC is still on my watch list, but I guess you guys wore ou the IC thread that still was.
    We did, yes.

There was also some non-major-plot stuff (one of my characters got into a knife-fight with a Skill-Out, two of Keruffle and Anyr's people went exploring in the city, and may be ending up using their powers to be superheros, possibly along with some other little things I don't remember at the moment) but otherwise Lord-Cao-Cao seems to have covered everything.

26. - Top - End - #1496
    Ettin in the Playground

Hmm...I see, so what kind of new characters abound? Cause I don't remember...well any of the names mentioned and I see many new faces...also, what is the main plot/villain?

27. - Top - End - #1497
    Ogre in the Playground

Kerfuffle has Ivaz, the aforementioned Skill-Out, and Krystal, a cheerful Tokiwadai student who can sense various forms of radiation.

I've got Johnathan Hunter, who's a reasonably friendly Azabu student with a fairly useless power, the name of which I don't remember (he can tell if someone had strong emotions while handling an object, and what they were, as well as what emotions are associated with a particular object if it's important to someone and/or has been around for a long time, if he touches it), and the one who got in the knife fight, his sister Alia, who's a Silicokinetic with major trust issues and attends no school since she's too old to do so, and Ryuu, who's a relatively cynical and sarcastic Tokiwadai student, as well as a Level 4 Pyrokinetic.

I'm not as familiar with everyone else's characters, though, so you'll have to ask them for more information.

28. - Top - End - #1498
    Ettin in the Playground

That's okay, I'm just trying to get a good idea of the current cast of characters and what's going on, I'm thinking about joining back in but I don't want to be haphazard abotu it and upset the established plot and characters. So any info I can get is good.

29. - Top - End - #1499

Quote Originally Posted by Callos_DeTerran View Post
    Hmm...I see, so what kind of new characters abound? Cause I don't remember...well any of the names mentioned and I see many new faces...also, what is the main plot/villain?
    Main plot is:

Adachi Souji (Original!!! [Do not steal] of Fuschichou Souji) was residing in part of Souji's brain, locked away carefully before Souji's interaction with Moroe unleashed him. Adachi stole Souji's body, and convinced Moroe to help revive him by "If I'm alive, Souji will be dead." Adachi has the power of Atomic Manipulation, and can change, destroy, and create things at an atomic level, and is the most powerful Level 5 in history. Adachi was resurrected, and Souji was dead - theoretically. Adachi told Moroe that Souji was now a "Blank Slate", and had no memory of his previous life as Fuschichou Souji. He told Moroe to take him, because she had killed his previous self. Moroe did, and eventually renamed Souji as "Hajime", or beginning. She ran into Shougo, one of her acquaintances who had helped her out when Souji had accidentally unleashed a bunch of deranged students on her; and he asked who the boy with her was. Hajime and Moroe and Shougo collectively ran into Shiki - an eight year old girl, who as a level 5, can heal whatever injuries and damage she comes across. Shiki is being chased by Yori, who can manipulate space in an Inception-esque way, so he can create an army of invulnerable clones.

The overarching plot is for us to defeat Adachi Souji, who runs pretty much every scientific thing behind the scenes.

30. - Top - End - #1500
    Pixie in the Playground

Whoah, suddenly four level fives?

I was not aware of this, and also why is Academy City not watching (or trying to watch) Adachi if he is the equivalent of Accelerator and known to be even more dangerous? Or Shiki?

Also, Animekid, cellular division by its' nature is metabolic activity-Perhaps Kikios' ability is more limited in scope than Kensukes', however. And if you slow down cellular replication, your body will in essence die slowly due to the wear-and-tear nature of regular cellular activity. It wouldn't really be immortality, but yeah, I suppose it would be possible to extend ones' lifespan in that manner.

Edit: Also, hurry up and post, man!
    Last edited by Lord-Cao-Cao; 2012-06-07 at 01:38 AM.