New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default You just gained a level in real life! What class would you take?

You can use 3.5 or PF, or give different answers for both. Since you are an ordinary person, not a protagonist, assume your ability scores use your choice of the nonelite array (13, 12, 11, 10, 9, 8) or the standard array (11, 11, 11, 10, 10, 10), although you may rearrange them if you so choose, you can get a +2 to one of them for being human (either as a standard human ability in PF or by giving up your bonus feat and skill points with that one variant human in 3.5), and you are subject to normal aging bonuses and penalties. Any abilities you gain are on top of the abilities you already have, so you don't need to worry about simulating your existing skills.

You are now a 1st level character, unless you posted in the last thread, in which case you still have the first level you gained back then (which is locked in), and you are now a 2nd level character! (You may retrain using the standard retraining rules.)

Last edited by Troacctid; 2017-01-02 at 02:01 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomePirate

Default Re: You just gained a level in real life! What class would you take?

Psion(Telepath) without a doubt.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Commoner. I have extremely low aspirations.

Or possibly artificer so I can maybe build something that can do all the hard work for me.
    Me: I'd get the paladin to help, but we might end up with a kid that believes in fairy tales.
    DM: aye, and it's not like she's been saved by a mysterious little girl and a band of real live puppets from a bad man and worse step-sister to go live with the faries in the happy land.
    Me: Yeah, a knight in shining armour might just bring her over the edge.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

Assuming I start at first level and can gain XP and everything that goes with it, abrupt jaunt conjuror wizard, with Precocious Apprentice (ray of stupidity). And I'd take Sanctum Spell, as well. Then I'd be crafting Sanctum Spell'd scrolls of ray of stupidity (as 1st level spells), enough to fire off a half-dozen or so. Then I'd go to Africa, hire a driver, and start sniping elephants with RoS. At CR 7 each (more if I get a few herds), I should be able to gain enough XP to planar bind a genie within a few hours. From there, it's not terribly difficult to go epic within a couple of rounds. Then I'd retrain everything to a monstrosity of a gestalt build (which isn't hard to pull off at that level, even in non-gestalt).

So, yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    Commoner. I have extremely low aspirations.
    You want to be an uneducated, starving serf? If you finished Middle School, you already have more of an education than a commoner does.
    Last edited by MaxiDuRaritry; 2019-05-06 at 01:24 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5

Cleric. Time to become a miracle (literally) healer.

EDIT - Better idea.
    Last edited by Tohsaka Rin; 2016-12-31 at 12:05 AM.
    "The trick with Psionics isn't looking for what's good, it's looking for what makes everything else better."

Spoiler: The False Nose of Vecna.
    Show

Make a disguise check every time you encounter someone new.

If the d20 roll results in a 13 (without modifiers) that person automatically assumes you are Vecna in a very poor disguise, and cannot be convinced otherwise, short of a wish spell.

Minor Artifact.

In memory of Monty Oum, 1981-2015.
    The world is a little less bright, now that it lacks you.

6. - Top - End - #6

NecromancerGuy

Pun-Pun.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Assuming I start at first level and can gain XP and everything that goes with it, abrupt jaunt conjuror wizard, with Precocious Apprentice (ray of stupidity). And I'd take Sanctum Spell, as well. Then I'd be crafting Sanctum Spell'd scrolls of ray of stupidity (as 1st level spells), enough to fire off a half-dozen or so. Then I'd go to Africa, hire a driver, and start sniping elephants. At CR 7 each (more if I get a few herds), I should be able to gain enough XP to planar bind a genie within a few hours. From there, it's not terribly difficult to go epic within a couple of rounds. Then I'd retrain everything to a monstrosity of a gestalt build (which isn't hard to pull off at that level, even in non-gestalt).

So, yeah.
    Last year I believe you already took your first level as an Ardent.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Still sticking with Monk of the Four Winds; I can wait 18 more years to be immortal. Just gotta lay low until then.

EDIT: If 3PP archetypes are on the table, I'll also be a Beastsoul Monk. Comboing it with Drunken Master might prove interesting, but I don't drink anywhere near enough to justify it.
    Last edited by digiman619; 2016-12-30 at 09:55 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    Last year I believe you already took your first level as an Ardent.
    If I'm starting at 1st, then it's wizard.
    Last edited by MaxiDuRaritry; 2016-12-30 at 09:45 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10

If I'm starting at 1st, then it's wizard.
    You didn't read the full OP, did you?
    "The trick with Psionics isn't looking for what's good, it's looking for what makes everything else better."

Show

If the d20 roll results in a 13 (without modifiers) that person automatically assumes you are Vecna in a very poor disguise, and cannot be convinced otherwise, short of a wish spell.

Minor Artifact.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

You want to be an uneducated, starving serf? If you finished Middle School, you already have more of an education than a commoner does.
    They asked what I want to be, not what I am.
    Me: I'd get the paladin to help, but we might end up with a kid that believes in fairy tales.
    DM: aye, and it's not like she's been saved by a mysterious little girl and a band of real live puppets from a bad man and worse step-sister to go live with the faries in the happy land.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

You're 27 days early.

I'd really just continue with the Oracle plan, honestly. It's a reasonably solid class, flexible without being overly equipment-dependent, and the Spirit Guide archetype means easy access to Wizard spells... next year.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by Tohsaka Rin View Post
    You didn't read the full OP, did you?
    I hadn't realized I was in the list. But it's really easy to gain a huge number of levels very, very fast. Who has time to wait for 1 level per year, if you can have all the ones you want before the month is halfway through?

Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    They asked what I want to be, not what I am.
    And I'm saying that you're almost certainly more than that now. It's like offering to get a lobotomy after you've earned your high school diploma.

Then again, a certain flaw involving poultry could easily give you a huge leg-up in a large number of areas, from using Destructive Retribution Fell Animate greater consumptive field to create chicken bombs while buffing yourself, to solving world hunger at level 1.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

I hadn't realized I was in the list. But it's really easy to gain a huge number of levels very, very fast. Who has time to wait for 1 level per year, if you can have all the ones you want before the month is halfway through?
    Is it? I guess you can try it and find out. It's a good way to test out how xp works in real life. Next year, we'll see how you fared.

Too late for Precocious Apprentice now, though, so you'll need some other strategy!

15. - Top - End - #15

Is it? I guess you can try it and find out. It's a good way to test out how xp works in real life. Next year, we'll see how you fared.

Too late for Precocious Apprentice now, though, so you'll need some other strategy!
    Well, I did mention about gaining XP in that post you linked to in the first post up there, and that I'd start as a wizard if gaining XP was an option (which should be easily figured out with some scientific methoding). But if I'm stuck with that first level of ardent, might as well do some retraining to turn it into a wizard, and to change my feats around as mentioned in that linked post. If that's not an option, but I've already taken my ardent level, but my experiments have shown that gaining XP is still on the table...

Take wizard as my second level (eschewing my original proposed build), gain some taint for a bonus feat (taking Versatile Spellcaster as my feat), write ray of stupidity into my spell book, and use it to start blasting elephants via scrolls and stuff. Then retrain later via a thought bottle or greater restoration and negative levels, which can be done whether or not actual retraining is a thing.

If XP isn't a thing, and we're stuck with 1 level per year, just lay low and optimize the bejeezus out of myself in the meantime, using the things I learn (magic, skills, feats, WBL, and so on) to earn a huge amount of cash, which can be used for both personal comfort and assistance in optimization.

Of course, "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu" is always available.
    Last edited by MaxiDuRaritry; 2016-12-30 at 10:46 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Cleric. I want city and celerity/travel domain. Still get spontaneous cure spells, I know all my spell list, and I can choose my spells every day.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Some play RPG's like chess, some like charades.

Everyone has their own jam.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Banned

He can always take it next year.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Being a wizard with access to the Pathfinder spell list would be very handy for day to day life. Crafter's Fortune would be great for handyman projects and Christmas gifts.

People love loose stone walls in my neck of the woods, so Expeditious Construction would be pretty profitable to know, and the hippies who love building with natural materials would eat the packed earth version up for dwellings, or if I went off the grid. Expeditious Excavation would mean I could dig in the yard without worrying about breaking pipes, and could always dig or expand a cellar.

If I make it another two levels, Tears to Wine would be a great thing for parties, and, depending upon local laws, a nice side business, especially if distilling is kosher, then you have free base material for liqueur.

IIRC, there's a few low level spells for rapid teaching, so I could learn rapidly if I had someone to teach me, and possibly could teach others how to wizard.

I think there's also some decent divinations that would help out too.

Also, having a Raven that could talk would be sweet.

If the road salt trick from Harry Potter and the Natural 20 worked, I'd go into magic item crafting. I'd certainly get involved in spell research if I was able to use road salt to get around the gp requirements. Instantaneous and Permanent duration Transmutations and Conjuration(Creation) spells would be very nifty, even if they're slight tweaks of existing spells.

Being a Cleric for Abstemiousness and Enhance Water wouldn't be too shabby either, or living off of Goodberry as a Druid with a nice smart pet.

Not sure what the best way to gain XP would be, though.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2016-12-30 at 11:29 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

19. - Top - End - #19
    Bugbear in the Playground

Well of assuming I am human (right?) im going to take my first lvl as a...... Monk, martial monk to specific, my feats will be as following
    Flaw (shaky) Dodge
    human: mobility
    1: educated
    Monk: Spring attack

now i will find my nearest wizard and ask politely for them to cast demension door for me. then i wait until i can go into the dream realm again and now i quailify for Jaunter next year. Later
    Quote Originally Posted by Flappeercraft
    NAAARUUUUTOOOOOOOO

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

I'm frankly surprised I didn't participate in this last time. Oh, well, worth a lark.

You can use 3.5 or PF, or give different answers for both.
    I think 3.5 is fine, unless I intend to play a martial. And as much as I love them, when someone offers you a chateaubriand, you don't ask for a burger.

Since you are an ordinary person,
    ... I'll give you a five minute head start.

not a protagonist, assume your ability scores use the nonelite array (13, 12, 11, 10, 9, 8), although you may rearrange them if you so choose, you can get a +2 to one of them for being human (either as a standard human ability in PF or by giving up your bonus feat and skill points with that one variant human in 3.5), and you are subject to normal aging bonuses and penalties.
    Mmm, yeah, gonna go with no. Elite array (15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8). You're right, I'm not a protagonist; I'm a recurring villain, and the DM made sure to stat me accordingly.

Any abilities you gain are on top of the abilities you already have, so you don't need to worry about simulating your existing skills.
    How about the fact that I have apparently 26 Int?

Honestly, I'd probably go with one of the two obvious and easy choices, Psion (Telepath) or Warlock. Psion (Telepath) is an obvious choice because think of the powah!, and psionic powers can have their manifestations suppressed if you make a Concentration check. On the other hand, if I had powers in real life, sure, I could quietly and subversively manipulate events behind the scenes, but I already do that. Warlock gives me something I can't already do - fly, be invisible, and fire lasers, all hella day.

Yeah, I'd probably end up with Warlock. The problem with Psion is that if you're discovered, surrounded, etc., there's not much you can do to defend yourself. Your powers are limited, and not ideal for combat. But Warlock? Flying, invisible, with lasers. Ya done, son.

And as I've said, I already took my first-level feat. It was homebrew. It was awesome.
    My headache medicine has a little "Ex" inscribed on the pill. It's not a brand name; it's an indicator that it works inside an Anti-Magic Field.

Blue text means sarcasm. Purple text means evil. White text is invisible.

My signature got too big for its britches. So now it's over here!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    I think 3.5 is fine, unless I intend to play a martial. And as much as I love them, when someone offers you a chateaubriand, you don't ask for a burger.
    ...Leave it to Red Fel to expand my food vocabulary in a thread about class levels IRL.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    ...Leave it to Red Fel to expand my food vocabulary in a thread about class levels IRL.
    I do have some experience in that regard. Which reminds me, I really need to join another campaign, I've been sitting on this Garlic Chicken build focusing on Marinades. What can I say, I have an affinity for Poultry classes.

Seriously, though, chateaubriand medallions, served medium rare with a nice potato with a bit of cinnamon 'pon it, and some buttered toast to the side, exquisite. I know a place. Simply fantastic.
    My headache medicine has a little "Ex" inscribed on the pill. It's not a brand name; it's an indicator that it works inside an Anti-Magic Field.

Blue text means sarcasm. Purple text means evil. White text is invisible.

My signature got too big for its britches. So now it's over here!

23. - Top - End - #23

... I'll give you a five minute head start.
    don't worry i only need 5 seconds

*background* "tactical nuke incoming!!!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Flappeercraft
    NAAARUUUUTOOOOOOOO

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Beguiler. I get access to a decent spell list, and can cast any spell on the list. I'm in sales and don't intend to fight anything, ever, unless I have to.
    Runner up is Psion (telepath) for obvious reasons. Beguiler wins for versatility at low levels (more abilities/powers known), although Psion is more subtle.
    Things published on DM's Guild
    Campaign Logs:
    Baldur's Gate 2 (ongoing)
    Castle Dracula (Castlevania)
    Against the Idol of the Sun (high level hexcrawl)

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

I do have some experience in that regard. Which reminds me, I really need to join another campaign, I've been sitting on this Garlic Chicken build focusing on Marinades. What can I say, I have an affinity for Poultry classes.

Seriously, though, chateaubriand medallions, served medium rare with a nice potato with a bit of cinnamon 'pon it, and some buttered toast to the side, exquisite. I know a place. Simply fantastic.
    I'm sort of the barbaric opinion that with that particular cut of meat, just eating it raw with an egg is the better option but what would I know? I want to be a commoner when I grow up.

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by D&DPrinceTandem View Post
    don't worry i only need 5 seconds

*background* "tactical nuke incoming!!!"
    Thanks for giving me a better idea.

Summoner (Pathfinder). With Limbs (arms) and Skilled (Profession: Construction) I can build houses while I'm fooling around on the internet.

Heck, I can even have a weekend job working for a moving company, if the customers let me use their wifi.

Any if anyone annoys me, they'd better PREPARE FOR TITANFALL.
    Last edited by Tohsaka Rin; 2016-12-31 at 12:11 AM.

Show

Minor Artifact.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Artificer. I'm a failed engineering student, so I'd like to learn how to make magical items instead. Make a killing selling them.
    Rudisplorker of the faith, true Rudisplorker
    Quote Originally Posted by Cazero View Post
    Because Pun-pun was on the road to ultimate power first, and he hates your guts.
    Extended Sig

I'm a template!

And an artifact!

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by torrasque666 View Post
    Artificer. I'm a failed engineering student, so I'd like to learn how to make magical items instead. Make a killing selling them.
    Multiclassing out of Dragonfire Adept, then?

29. - Top - End - #29

I think I'll go with Pathfinder's Summoner but its really a hard choice. Sorcerer and Monk are tempting as well.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Alright, let's see what I did....

Hmm. I'll continue with Sorcerer, but I'm probably going to spring for Malconvoker instead. More useful than vestiges.

Current level: Sorcerer 2

Future Plan: Sorcerer 6/Malconvoker 9/??? 5.

Maybe go with the acf to get the Summoning dominant, and then head into Thaumaturgist, but that might not be optimal...I'll come up with something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raven777 View Post
    Sorcerers are also based on Charisma. If a Wizard studies the cheat codes to reality, the Sorcerer literally just glares or winks at the universe. And the universe listens.
    Quote Originally Posted by foobar1969 View Post
    Flexibility is awesome, but I'd sacrifice that spellbook in a heartbeat to be a 24-7 flying hentai apocalypse demon.

First Eternal foe of the Draconic Lord, battling him across the multiverse in whatever shapes and forms he may take.