New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

annoyed OOTS #1121 - The Discussion Thread

New comic is up.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1121 - The Discussion Thread

I *knew* there was a good reason to add Rich to my Twitter feed...new comic notification!

So...does this mean Durkon* will be forced to watch a 20-minute memory and won't be able to focus on the fight? That'd make this a pretty clever trick by Durkon! Kind of like the IFCC's ability to take V out of a situation at any point in time...

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jdb-44 View Post
    I *knew* there was a good reason to add Rich to my Twitter feed...new comic notification!

So...does this mean Durkon* will be forced to watch a 20-minute memory and won't be able to focus on the fight? That'd make this a pretty clever trick by Durkon! Kind of like the IFCC's ability to take V out of a situation at any point in time...
    I can only imagine this is happening at speed of thought, and even if Durkon* has to sit through the whole thing, it'll take a few seconds of real time, tops. Then figure the world operates on combat rounds where things like talking and thinking are free actions... I'll be surprised if that's the route this goes, rather than Durkon actually wanting to drive some sort of point home with the Memory in question.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Seerow View Post
    I can only imagine this is happening at speed of thought, and even if Durkon* has to sit through the whole thing, it'll take a few seconds of real time, tops. Then figure the world operates on combat rounds where things like talking and thinking are free actions... I'll be surprised if that's the route this goes, rather than Durkon actually wanting to drive some sort of point home with the Memory in question.
    Yeah, I guess that makes sense. Wonder what this memory will be? And how long has Durkon had it in mind as a last-ditch effort to sway/stop Durkon*?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

I like Durkon trying to look innocent in panel 3. The crack in the dinner plate is also great.

Thanks, Rich!
    Last edited by Lord Torath; 2018-05-11 at 08:49 AM.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jdb-44 View Post
    It's been established that the memories are reviewed much too fast to affect combat rounds. Durkon's angle is probably to make use of Greg's lack of ability to connect memories together, although I've no idea how he'll do so (nor am I interesting in trying to guess - I'd rather just wait and see how it turns out).

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

The real question for me is whether the 'no time jumps' also applies to the audience. If the next 10 comics are all Durkon washing up for supper...
    “No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style.” ― Steven Brust
    "In God we trust. All others we investigate." - United States Army Military Police Corps
    My thanks to Komodo for the excellent Avatar.
    Check out BSR's Improved Sorcerer project.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

I suspect the damage Durkon wanted to do to Greg's planning has already been done, but we'll see. I think this all but confirms that there will be another battle, though, since the deal only protects Kudzu "right now".

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

Kobold

Its seems obvious that Durkon has figured out a way to weaponize the fact that Greg (with his +2 int) is incapable of tying memories to meaning. I haven't the foggiest how, but I'm looking forward to seeing what's in store.

10. - Top - End - #10

Heh, "as smart as you are, plus two points".

Also, the controlled detonation line reminds me that Durkon has pulled this scam before...
    Spoiler: Worst PC Concept Ever
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhaegar14 View Post
    I came up with a master ninja with a robotic arm that is simultaneously both a vampire and a werewolf. He is the first of his clan in a thousand years to master the Warp Blade technique, which allows him to bend space-time to his will. So in addition to being a cyborg werewolf vampire ninja, he's also a time traveler and functionally immortal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Milodiah View Post
    ...kinda sounds like Samuel Haight got sent to the world of Rifts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    And we have a new winner!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TRH View Post
    I suspect the damage Durkon wanted to do to Greg's planning has already been done, but we'll see. I think this all but confirms that there will be another battle, though, since the deal only protects Kudzu "right now".
    No, the deal protects him (from Greg), paraphrased, "at least until Hel destroys the world". There are loopholes aplenty, of course - Greg could allow the Exexarch to attack Kudzu, for example - but the deal, if Greg sticks to it (which he'd likely would, being Lawful) stops Greg from harming Kudzu for the foreseeable future.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2018-05-11 at 09:03 AM.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Considering it's something that happened on his first day of cleric training, I imagine it's something to do with the nature of the gods, Hel in particular.

13. - Top - End - #13

As much as I was looking forward to Durkon's reaction to seeing he's 'a pa', I feel like the next comic may be the emotional climax we've been heading towards for these last few months years.
    That, and the reunion between Belkar and Durkon of course...

14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Excellent comic as always!

Hehehe... I think Durkon* just signed his own undeath warrant. By demanding that Durkon stop showing him memories, he just cut off his only source of intel on the party. I have no idea what play is going to go down, but I'm pretty darn sure a memory from Durkon could prevent it. A memory that Durkon* no longer has access to.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NRSASD View Post
    Excellent comic as always!

Hehehe... I think Durkon* just signed his own undeath warrant. By demanding that Durkon stop showing him memories, he just cut off his only source of intel on the party. I have no idea what play is going to go down, but I'm pretty darn sure a memory from Durkon could prevent it. A memory that Durkon* no longer has access to.
    That's not how the arrangement works. This stops Durkon from offering up memories. But it doesn't stop Greg from obtaining them. He may choose not to request any, and currently that is his intention since he fears being mislead by Durkon, but if something unexpected comes up that he thinks might have an explanation in Durkon's memory, nothing in this agreement stops Greg from forcing it out of Durkon.

Grey Wolf

16. - Top - End - #16
    Firbolg in the Playground

Maybe this memory is going to be something that could help HPoH, but he will ignore it because he thinks it's a trick?

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

So now Durkon feeds Durkon* with a totally pointless memory, and Durkon* and all the Forum Members will bang their minds thinking about where the trick is, when the trick is that there is none. And Durkon* will finally come to the conclussion that he has seen trough the ruse and will mkde plans to foil Durkon's trap and... will be defeated because of the distraction.
    Last edited by The Pilgrim; 2018-05-11 at 12:11 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

I have NO idea what's goin on here, but I know it's a set up for something very interesting.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Colossus in the Playground

Agreed. Whatever Durkon's up to, it'll be good, I think.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

20. - Top - End - #20

ElfWarriorGuy

The big plan won't hit yet, but the set-up is almost done.

I'm eagerly anticipating this.
    "You are what you do. Choose again and change." - Miles Vorkosigan

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

Imp

Durkula isn't in control of what Durkon feeds him up.....

Holy COW what a reveal.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by happycrow View Post
    Greg isn't in control of what Durkon feeds him up.....

Holy COW what a reveal.
    Really? It was pretty clear here. Not to mention earlier when Durkon showed gross-out memories.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

I wonder what is Durkon thinking? How is it supposed to help with this last memory if the vampire already knows of the possibility of him misleading with a memory?
    Thanks to linklele for the amazing avvy.
    Quote Originally Posted by jidasfire View Post
    On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.
    or Star Wars.
    Spoiler: Easydamus result
    Show

Neutral Good Human Paladin/Cleric (3rd/2nd Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-15 Dexterity-13 Constitution-14
    Intelligence-16 Wisdom-17 Charisma-14
    Alignment: Neutral Good

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

So Sgt. Thundershield's clothes and tableware have been getting steadily more wretched over time. I wonder how that's going to play into whatever lesson this memory taught Durkon (that Durkon* will not ignore).
    Even the wind will know agony.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

Wait! I need closure on that anecdote!

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    That's not how the arrangement works. This stops Durkon from offering up memories. But it doesn't stop Greg from obtaining them. He may choose not to request any, and currently that is his intention since he fears being mislead by Durkon, but if something unexpected comes up that he thinks might have an explanation in Durkon's memory, nothing in this agreement stops Greg from forcing it out of Durkon.

Grey Wolf
    Exact wording is "If you agree not to show me any more memories." I would think letter of the law means that this is whether or not they are requested. That said, I had previously thought memories were only shown when requested (I guess until #1089), so I'm not really sure how this will work.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    It's been established that the memories are reviewed much too fast to affect combat rounds. Durkon's angle is probably to make use of Greg's lack of ability to connect memories together, although I've no idea how he'll do so (nor am I interesting in trying to guess - I'd rather just wait and see how it turns out).

Grey Wolf
    While the memories may occur too fast to affect combat rounds, #1112 seems to suggest that at the least, Durkula finds it a little annoying or distracting when he has to see memories he doesn't want to.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Halfling in the Playground

BardGirl

So Greg tried to use Kudzu as a leverage against Durkon and our smelly little dwarf has a plan to turn this table against that vampire full of him(it?)self. I think Durkon's plan is just dulling Greg's analytical mind by pure boredom.
    Seems like Stickverse is at same time defying and validating Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus propositions 1. and 1.1. Also, it weirdly confirms proposition 6.44...

27. - Top - End - #27

NecromancerGuy

The best trap is there is no trap, just Durkon* overanalysing things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gildedragon View Post
    "How much to help you craft items? I'll cover the XP costs" All Lvl 15 Githyanki

28. - Top - End - #28
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DaOldeWolf View Post
    I wonder what is Durkon thinking? How is it supposed to help with this last memory if the vampire already knows of the possibility of him misleading with a memory?
    I imagine that there's the possibility of a double bluff. Durkon shows Durkula something that if interpreted naively, would actually help him, like "All clerics of Loki are bound to betray their comrades if you offer them gold." But Durkula assumes that it's a trick, and Durkon is concealing some second half like "but they are also bound to betray the person who bribed them, and Loki will grant them miracle-level spells to do so, because that's how Loki rolls." There is, in fact, no second half, but Durkula refuses to bribe Hilgya out of fear of a trap.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Pilgrim View Post
    So now Durkon feeds Durkon* with a totally pointless memory, and Durkon* and all the Forum Members will burn their minds thinking about where the trick is[...]

You know me well.

So in suspense!
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Chei View Post
    So Sgt. Thundershield's clothes and tableware have been getting steadily more wretched over time. I wonder how that's going to play into whatever lesson this memory taught Durkon (that Durkon* will not ignore).
    I believe the word youre looking for is "old". A chipped plate is still usable, so she wont spend the money to replace it until it breaks the rest of the way.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”