New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Re: OOTS #1121 - The Discussion Thread

I think we see that Durkon can affect DurkonT, and that the vampire spirit simply lies about how powerless Durkon's soul is, because of course he would. Which does raise the question of how many other lies he tells his captive.

And the result of getting to the end of the memory will cause DurkonT to change his battle plans - something like "This hall has skylights that are opened to let the sun in for the benefit of Freya worshipers" or some such.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

2. - Top - End - #92
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

I doubt this has anything to do with Durkon's memory, but as Durkon* has "Dwarf" in his subtype, does that mean that if he dies in battle, honorably, performing his goddess's wishes, his soul won't return to Hel, but to Thor's domain? I wouldn't want to be Durkon* in a LG afterlife...

3. - Top - End - #93
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by chrestomancy View Post
    I doubt this has anything to do with Durkon's memory, but as Durkon* has "Dwarf" in his subtype, does that mean that if he dies in battle, honorably, performing his goddess's wishes, his soul won't return to Hel, but to Thor's domain? I wouldn't want to be Durkon* in a LG afterlife...
    Undead do not have souls as such, including vampires. What happens to Greg when the body is stakes is unknown. However, if he were a soul, he would still go to Hel, because that's where his normal afterlife would be as a cleric of Hel.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

4. - Top - End - #94
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Yeah, I would expect at the very least that being a cleric in good standing of a particular God would mean you go to that god's domain after death--it wouldn't really make sense for clerics of Odin to end up in Thor's domain, for instance. The only in-strip evidence for that is Jirix's post-mortem vision, though, and since all goblinoids worship the Dark One (AFAIK) it doesn't really tell us much.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Barbarian in the Playground

20minutes isn't even that long of a time for dish washing.
    Life is precious, guard it will your soul.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ogre in the Playground

No takebacks now. You wanted no time jumps, you GET NO TIME JUMPS!

7. - Top - End - #97

Quote Originally Posted by chrestomancy View Post
    Having an afterlife requires having a life first. Greg has never been alive.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    I think we see that Durkon can affect DurkonT, and that the vampire spirit simply lies about how powerless Durkon's soul is, because of course he would. Which does raise the question of how many other lies he tells his captive.

And the result of getting to the end of the memory will cause DurkonT to change his battle plans - something like "This hall has skylights that are opened to let the sun in for the benefit of Freya worshipers" or some such.
    Without getting into a big argument about this again, I'll point out that "the vampire is lying about everything" isn't something that should be assumed because he's not saying these things just for Durkon's sake; it's for the audiences sake. If we're not supposed to trust what he says about vampirism it greatly detracts from the situation.

And, even if you'd say he would lie to Durkon, he certainly wouldn't lie to Hel. Going "he's evil, so of course he's lying" doesn't automatically follow. Durkon has been struggling almost this entire time, if he had the power to actually do anything (besides showing memories) it would have been made apparent by now.
    Last edited by Rrmcklin; 2018-05-12 at 09:47 AM.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Logosloki View Post
    Isn't he only washing for 2?

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Logosloki View Post
    I thought "Washing up" in this context meant "Washing your hands and/or any other body parts you'd like to be clean before you eat".

For dinner rather than from dinner indicated it's before dishes.
    Last edited by The MunchKING; 2018-05-12 at 10:26 AM.
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

11. - Top - End - #101
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rrmcklin View Post
    Going "he's evil, so of course he's lying" doesn't automatically follow.
    Indeed. Lying is a chaotic act, not an evil one.

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

12. - Top - End - #102

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Indeed. Lying is a chaotic act, not an evil one.

GW
    At the same time, though, the assumption that Greg might be lying isn't one that's entirely without precedent, given that the entire first half of the current arc was him pulling a massive string of deceptions to get himself to the Godsmoot. Whether he's lying to Durkon is up for debate, but he's certainly lied to other people before.
    Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? 'Course ya do!

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

*gushes unintelligibly over our cat, Sunshine*

[Nexus characters, grouped by setting:
    Ouroboros: here
    Maesda: here
    Others: here
    ]

13. - Top - End - #103

Lizardfolk

My guess for the memory; it'll be something vitally important about Thors Priesthood which didnt make sense to Durkon until much later. So far all the memories about his life pre-exile have been before the one we're about to see. It'd be interesting if it was a detail he'd misunderstood for the longest time, and Durkon* would misread in the most negative light. I doubt it'll directly swing this fight, as I don't think this is the final battle of this book (feels kinda two-thirdy), but it might be setting up a massive presupposition in the climax.

14. - Top - End - #104

PaladinGuy

The last panel seems to demonstrate that Durkula can't go back on the deal he just struck, even in minor details such as ordering Durkon to skip time in spite of Durkula forcing him to agree not to. I can't help but wonder if that means that Durkula will literally be unable to retrieve any more memories from Durkon until the end of this fight--giving Durkon the ability to resist Durkula when he would not have been able to before.

Also, it seems possible that Durkon's insistence on the one memory could be a red herring--Durkula might have floated that offer to see how Durkon would react to it: if Durkon had accepted the offer without hesitation, Durkula would have suspected that Durkon *did* have some unknown information that he would need to defeat Roy, and accepted the subjective tedium involved in ruthlessly and comprehensively sifting through the rest of Durkon's possibly relevant memories to find it. By making a single demand and showing reluctance to accept something that Durkon should be *thrilled* about, he may have enticed Durkula to accept the deal, become a bit more paranoid about the whole situation, *and* deny himself a major asset in Durkon's memories. Not bad.
    Sudden thought after watching an old "Lois and Clark" episode: Lane Davies aka Tempus is probably the best possible choice to portray an animated or live action Xykon if either of those ever becomes reality--he was born in 1950 and Tempus' personality is a close match for pre-lich Xykon IMO. Just my two cents.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by eilandesq View Post
    The last panel seems to demonstrate that Durkula can't go back on the deal he just struck, even in minor details such as ordering Durkon to skip time in spite of Durkula forcing him to agree not to. I can't help but wonder if that means that Durkula will literally be unable to retrieve any more memories from Durkon until the end of this fight--giving Durkon the ability to resist Durkula when he would not have been able to before.
    No. It's a deal of mutual agreement, not a deal that affects how the world works. The vampire can't go back on the deal because then Durkon can too, and Durkon not doing that is the sole reason the vamp accepted the deal.

Durkon won't magically get power over the vampire just because the vampire was a little annoyed.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

16. - Top - End - #106

Quote Originally Posted by JumboWheat01 View Post
    No takebacks now.
    "No Backsies" is one of the few commandments of both Thor and Hel.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Quote Originally Posted by MartianInvader View Post
    I like this theory.
    Spoiler
    Show
    And if/when it turns out to be about his father dying without honor, it means it's pretty likely to involve Hela as well. Maybe his mother told him a secret about the pantheon that not even Hela knows- maybe "dying honorably" turns out to be more broad a definition than she was led to believe. It could be something his mother made up to make him feel better, but Hela/Greg may not be willing to take the chance.
    Or something.
    Spoiler: wild theory alert
    Show
    # Durkons Daddy was a priest/follower of Loki

sch
    Last edited by schmunzel; 2018-05-12 at 02:14 PM.
    Do NOT argue with idiots - they drag you on their level and beat you with experience

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rrmcklin View Post
    Without getting into a big argument about this again, I'll point out that "the vampire is lying about everything" isn't something that should be assumed because he's not saying these things just for Durkon's sake; it's for the audiences sake. If we're not supposed to trust what he says about vampirism it greatly detracts from the situation.

And, even if you'd say he would lie to Durkon, he certainly wouldn't lie to Hel. Going "he's evil, so of course he's lying" doesn't automatically follow. Durkon has been struggling almost this entire time, if he had the power to actually do anything (besides showing memories) it would have been made apparent by now.
    I think Durkula would definitely lie to Durkon.

What I don't think (and what I think would be bad writing) is that Durkula would lie when there's no character to deceive. That would be explicitly trying to fool the audience. I agree he wouldn't lie to Hel.

I wish I had a good guess for where the story in Durkon's memory is going. Of the guesses I've heard so far, I'd bet most likely on Durkon learning something about the gods that Durkula didn't know, which could cause a change of plans, especially if Durkula takes the wrong key information from the memory. (Durkon learns something that causes Durkula to flee and join the Exarch is intriguing, but I'm not sure why Durkon would be motivated to get Durkula to flee given that the Order seems to have the advantage here. The thing about his dad is plausible, though we have so little to go on there that it's hard to say what or how.)

19. - Top - End - #109

MindFlayer

I think it's more than just plausible. I don't think Rich made up that detail just as a curiosity - it's got to be relevant to the story. And I think the original idea-smith is correct that this is a perfect time for it to come up. I'm excited to see how it comes up.

20. - Top - End - #110

Two things I am confident of:

1) Durkon will not suddenly pull out a deus ex machina that incapacitates Greg here. If he could do that he would have done it long before now. He may, or may not, weaken or distract Greg in the future at a point where the Order is losing. He will not do so to take the situation from "the Order is winning" to "the Order has won."
    2) Greg's evil will remain as unwavering as Tarquin's throughout his existence.

21. - Top - End - #111

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Two things I am confident of:

2) Greg's evil will remain as unwavering as Tarquin's throughout his existence.
    Did we determine Tarquin was evil? I thought we settled on the darker side of LN.

22. - Top - End - #112

Quote Originally Posted by jere7my View Post
    Did we determine Tarquin was evil? I thought we settled on the darker side of LN.
    Yes, the comic was very ambiguous about that.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

I'm sure Durkon's father will come up again, maybe now, but I have no idea how that might impact the plot.
    I expect the fact that Greg pronounces "something" as "somethin'" in the third-last panel of 963 will help somehow, but I have no idea how.

Something will definitely happen with the fact that Durkon's exile is over, but I don't expect that to be relevant until Greg is dusted and they have to figure out what Hilgya and Kudzu are going to do. Mostly because I can't think of any way it might be relevant to the fight.
    I'm Chaotic Good! Ish!

24. - Top - End - #114
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Yes, the comic was very ambiguous about that.
    About as ambiguous on jere7my's sarcasm.

25. - Top - End - #115

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    About as ambiguous on jere7my's sarcasm.
    I' fairly sure I'll never have reason to stop saying this, but I am not a smart man.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SavageWombat View Post
    I think it's more than just plausible. I don't think Rich made up that detail just as a curiosity - it's got to be relevant to the story. And I think the original idea-smith is correct that this is a perfect time for it to come up. I'm excited to see how it comes up.
    You mean the idea about what happened to Durkon's father being different than the story we know? Since we learned that when Durkula requested the memory from Durkon, I'm not sure what would come of showing Durkula the real memory unless it's to cast doubt on everything he's been shown previously (which isn't a bad idea, now that I think about it).

I do think it a little suspicious that Thirden tells young Durkon that Sidgi's weekly dinner companions didn't know her at all until after this had already happened. That's the kind of peculiar detail that could make me buy this theory a little more.

edit: I spent enough time looking for #991 to get the details, that I'll link it for anyone else interested so they don't have to do the same.
    Last edited by Ruck; 2018-05-12 at 05:39 PM.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Orc in the Playground

Imp

I suspect it's something about the nature of honor itself.
    You know, a strange twist that throws it all into a panic and levels the forum in feels?

28. - Top - End - #118
    Troll in the Playground

OK. This might be a stretch but I have a theory of what it could be. On his first day as a cleric, he looks at the list of rich donors. Something tells me that someone related to Durkon is on that list, maybe a leader from a clan, maybe someone who could have helped her mother, maybe both. It could even be Durkonīs own father.
    Last edited by DaOldeWolf; 2018-05-12 at 08:50 PM.
    Thanks to linklele for the amazing avvy.
    Quote Originally Posted by jidasfire View Post
    On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.
    or Star Wars.
    Spoiler: Easydamus result
    Show

Neutral Good Human Paladin/Cleric (3rd/2nd Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-15 Dexterity-13 Constitution-14
    Intelligence-16 Wisdom-17 Charisma-14
    Alignment: Neutral Good

29. - Top - End - #119

Quote Originally Posted by DaOldeWolf View Post
    OK. This might be a stretch but I have a theory of what it could be. On his first day as a cleric, he looks at the list of rich donors. Something tells me that someone related to Durkon is on that list, maybe a leader from a clan, maybe someone who could have helped her mother, maybe both. It could even be Durkonīs own father.
    Now's probably a good time to point out that one of those names is in fact:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sigdi Thundershield.

The one above it is Shirra Copperbottom, which may be Sigdi's friend.

Here's the font.
    Last edited by Yendor; 2018-05-13 at 12:33 AM.
    Assistant Treasurer of the Haley fan club
    Crewman of the Bandana fan club

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DaOldeWolf View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Yendor View Post
    Now's probably a good time to point out that one of those names is in fact:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sigdi Thundershield.

The one above it is Shirra Copperbottom, which may be Sigdi's friend.

Here's the font.
    What strip is this? I tried looking but I didn't have any luck finding it.