New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Ladybug shield?

1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Ladybug shield?

Greetings, I'm at work right now so I'll be quick, you have a magic shield that looks like a ladybug,

What magical properties do you give it?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default Re: Ladybug shield?

While Donned, worn on the arm, it gives you the ability to cast the Infestation Cantrip.
    While Doffed, and worn on the back, stating the command word will cause the shield to split in half, and giant insectoid wings sprout from it, giving you a fly speed equal to your land speed for 60 minutes, or until the shield is removed from your back. The minutes do not need to be used consecutively.
    Always looking for critique of my 5E homebrew!

Quote Originally Posted by Bjarkmundur View Post
    ... does this stuff just come naturally to you? Do you even have to try anymore xD
    Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Vogie is the sh**. I don't really have anything to contribute to the topic, just wanted to point that out.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Zombie

How about plant growth since the little buggers are known to eat the insects harmful to crops?
    I am the flush of excitement. The blush on the cheek. I am the Rouge!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

I've also always heard the superstition that ladybugs are good luck, you could definitely do something with that.
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Spoiler: 5e Subclass Contest Wins
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XIII-Rogue, Tavern Wench
    ● XV-Monk, Way of the Shrine Guardian
    ● XVI-Cleric, Madness Domain
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXI-Artificer, Battling Bowman
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Vogie View Post
    While Donned, worn on the arm, it gives you the ability to cast the Infestation Cantrip.
    While Doffed, and worn on the back, stating the command word will cause the shield to split in half, and giant insectoid wings sprout from it, giving you a fly speed equal to your land speed for 60 minutes, or until the shield is removed from your back. The minutes do not need to be used consecutively.
    ... does this stuff just come naturally to you? Do you even have to try anymore xD
    Why is it that some users on this forum just OOZE solutions and creative mechanics :O

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Zombie

Why is it that some users on this forum just OOZE solutions and creative mechanics :O
    To be fair, that second bit is, I believe, almost identical to the Wings of Flying in the DMG.
    I am the flush of excitement. The blush on the cheek. I am the Rouge!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

What level are they? So we can gauge the desired power level

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vogie View Post
    Those are some good ideas! Thanks,
    Also like the ideas for the plants and luck stuff, y'all have definitely given me some stuff to work with, it's all much appreciated.

And the levels of the players isn't really important (i currently run two groups at my local game shop, one group are all level 1, and the other are between levels 2-3, I'm like a dm for hire there) I'm just expanding my list of random loot drops, I'm more of a spontaneous dm, i like to run games with a bunch of random charts to get things going, lots of carousing rolls and random encounters until something sticks out to the players, then i work off of those situations to start constructing a larger world narrative.

9. - Top - End - #9

One time per round, the ladybug can detach from the arm and flutter around an attacker: the wearer loses the benefit of the shield to his armor class, but the attacker he chooses has disadvantage to his attack rolls against the wearer for the round. The following round, the ladybug reattaches by itself to the arm of the wearer.

10. - Top - End - #10

Ok, I'd say no fly before lv 8... probably
    Unless you want a minute a day (based on aasimar's racial ability)

Ladybugs are bright red because they are poisonous. Maybe adv on saves vs poison or resistance to poison damage. I'd say deal poison damage but this is a shield.
    Or maybe they can cast poison spray cantrip at will.
    Maybe they have 3 charges that can be used as:
    Luck point
    Or A few other low level spells at one cast per charge

11. - Top - End - #11
    Firbolg in the Playground

Vogie is the sh**. I don't really have anything to contribute to the topic, just wanted to point that out.

[Edit] Maybe one thing: Advantage on Dexterity Saving Throws from spells? For some reason, I get this idea of a ladybug shield that's effective against offensive magic. Not sure why.
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2019-05-28 at 02:41 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

is it a regular sized shield, or an actual lady bug sized that just magically draws attacks and deflects them?

also the shield should not be worn, more so climbs on the user and moves around independently, mechanically give it something similar to the dancing property a sword can have.

13. - Top - End - #13

Kobold

...grants ability to cast Seeming on self only to appear only as a giant ladybug.

Plus all that other cool stuff.

14. - Top - End - #14

Variations on a theme:

The black spots are actually entrances to the extra dimensional space contained within the shield, allowing it to function as a bag of holding.
    When attuned to the shield, you gain resistance to piercing damage as the blows move through the holes rather than, well, you.

The black spots are actually exits from the negative energy plane. The wielder may fully open these exits once per day to allow the power of the negative energy plane to escape. This effect is the same as lightning bolt, but deals negative energy damage.

The black spots are actually holes that can be peeled off the shield and used to create a pathway through a wall, floor, or ceiling, ala loony tunes. There are 4 spots that can be used this way when the shield is first acquired. At the start of the day the shield regains 1d4-1 spots, to a maximum of the 4 starting spots.