New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 21 of 50 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223242526272829303146 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #601
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Aegis J Hyena's Super Hyena Fun Show: Random Banter Thread #215

Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    Well, given that I can't bake the cookies are mostly hypothetical... And given the ease at which one can hypothesise cookies... I'd say seven trillion hypothetical cookies with hypothetical chocolate chips. As soon as someone invents a machine to convert thought into matter I'll let you know.
    My hypothetical stomach is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    You wouldn't be able to cycle around the marketplace?

What liquorice poison are you trying to peddle to the poor spaniard now, Finn?

Heard some, can probably figure out the rest unless you've managed to be uncharacteristically imaginative for once...

Don't worry, it's all minor. Your un-truncation of others' quotes on the other hand...
    Donīt worry Teddy, i have drinked worst poisons.

un-truncation? , i suppose you mean that i post all the quote even the parts that have no relation with me (yeah, i am lazy )
    Last edited by Spanish_Paladin; 2016-07-25 at 04:28 PM.

2. - Top - End - #602
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Spanish_Paladin View Post
    Donīt worry Teddy, i have drinked worst poisons.
    We'll see about that.

un-truncation?
    Not cutting away the parts of the posts which you're not responding to. It's also minor, I'm just being playful complaining.

Also, I think "non-truncation" probably is a more correct negation, but it doesn't roll off the tongue quite as well...

ION:
    Sometimes when I go backwards in my browser when on the forums, the listeners to the buttons fails to line up with the visual display of the buttons. It's very annoying when you go back to edit a post and can't find where the "clicking area" for the edit button is. Good thing it highlights when you move the cursor "over" it.

IOON:
    Happy birthday Wombat!

And belated happy birthday to you too, Finn!
    Last edited by Teddy; 2016-07-25 at 04:37 PM.
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

3. - Top - End - #603
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Happy Birthday, Wombles.

No time like the winter for learning how to bake, Elementals.

That is pretty strange, Teddy. I'd probably have just gone forward instead of going back to re-re-edit a post, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

4. - Top - End - #604
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Idea for a D&D campaign set in a nation composed entirely of dragons
    Show
    Long ago, when he was just a prince, King Blaque (of the Gold dynasty, whose surname matches their breed) surprised the world when he married a commoner: Mari, who was a copper dragon and the daughter of the hemp farmers Mr. and Mrs. Juana. The Queen happens to obsess a quite bit over certain types of sunflower, and the king is quite intrigued by news of a strange, viscous liquid that has been found in a nearby desert; neither of these facts, however, are particularly important. What is important is that now, King Blaque Gold and Queen Mari Gold have a daughter named Rose, who seems to have turned to the worship of Tiamat.

The PCs are Clerics of Bahamut. They must save the fire-breathing dragon/princess (Rose Gold, who is part gold and part copper) from herself.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

5. - Top - End - #605
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amidus Drexel View Post
    Depends on the venue and whose house we're talking about, but taking some average figures from google....

Average household power consumption was 911 kWh per month, which translates to roughly 30kWh per day, which is 1.25kWh per hour, or just 1.25kW. The bass amp I used to lug around to shows could output 1500W (or 1.5kW), but I didn't usually run it at full power - but if we add up the rest of the band's gear we probably had around that in output - granted, this doesn't include the venue PAs or anything like that. So, a basement-bar metal show probably draws between one and two houses worth of power.

Now, I'm not sure how much power you could get back OUT of the band, once they've used it. You'd probably have to set up some physical system that moves or spins when it resonates and extract power from that.
    That is the trouble with heavy metal, it requires an expenditure of energy to start the process and keep it going, therein making the total gain a lot less than expected. Hopefully improvements in the efficiency of electronic devices should help solve this problem.

Fun fact, given the Stargates in the Stargate franchise can apparently absorb energy from any conceivable source (ambient heat, radio signals, the life force of innocent energy beings...) one could probably activate one using the power of heavy metal. They were never really clear on the specifics...

If you use Firefox or Chrome, I could share the GreaseMonkey script I use to replace the smilie bar to the right with my custom versions. Only drawback is that I haven't found a way to extend the table, so I'm a bit stuck with the 14 replacement smilies and a quick die roller, despite having a few more I want to include. The forum client-side code is just way too obtuse to make insertions into, I can't even wrap my head around what it does.

Ahh, the good old Australian winter which not even the Australians believe in.

Hmm, I've had smoked horse as a sandwich topping at irregular intervals. It's quite salty and flavourful, but that might just be the smoke...

What exactly does "op" stand for?

No, it doesn't. There are little gains in freezing foodstuff below -18°C, but it does consume a lot of energy.
    No need to worry. I never use emoticons anyway so the effort would be wasted. It's just one of those things that would be cool to have, like an antique typewriter or a set of rainbow dice.

We believe in it, I just question the validity of the relatively rigid system of four seasons as applied to the northern parts of Australia. I mean, here in Queensland we obviously have a very mild Winter which just gets more and more mild the further north you are and we don't really have what you'd call a Spring or an Autumn. Okay, it does snow a bit in Stanthorpe and surrounds, but that's only a small part of the state.

Obviously I'd have to try it for myself in order to see, but outside of curiosity I usually remain conservative in my choice of foodstuffs. So horse will not be on the menu for me any time soon.

In this case? Opportunity. But the only reason I know is that I just looked it up on Wikipedia.

This is fair, it just strikes me as weird that there are places that get colder than a device designed to keep things frozen. It offends my delicate Australian sensibilities.

My hypothetical stomach is happy.
    That's good. Wouldn't want anyone to go hypothetically hungry.

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    No time like the winter for learning how to bake, Elementals.
    Ugh... But my sister-in-law lives with us now and she's taken over the kitchen and it's always in a state of mild disarray. Plus she's got her dogs and they wouldn't leave me alone if I was doing something with food and I haven't the heart to lock them up.
    I could make ANZAC biscuits though. They're not that difficult.
    I initially read that sentence without the comma... It made me mildly concerned there was a plot afoot.
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)
    (::) Current avatar by Smuchmuch (::)

Co Founder of LUTAS - For all your less than useful heroes out there.

My Deviant Art. Careful, it's full of ponies.

Dragons!

6. - Top - End - #606
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Feytalist View Post
    Especially unicorns

Spoiler: Bonus: Unicorn album cover!
    Show

Singing and dancing with Megadeth in the shower counts?

salmiakkikosu.. um, iīll try, but Madrid is in the center of the country, i think iīd be more nordic shops on the coast, where northern europeans takes their vacations
    Nope. You have to be in your underwear and on the computer or watching tv.

Find that stuff, yee-haw!

Now you're just complicating things. Hmm... Now I'm suddenly curious as to what horse tastes like...
    It's just the common Australian term for a charity store. People donate stuff to us and we sell it to raise money. Unfortunately we haven't had any ops in in a while, so to anyone who was looking for some I'm afraid I can't help.

As an Australian, the very notion of a town having a nightclub yet somehow retaining a small town vibe is alien to me. But then, Australia is mostly filled with nothing and we call any settlement a town even if it's five houses and a service station.
    Have you not tasted it? It's rather alright as it is, but I prefer it when it's mixed with other things in a metwurst sausage. Mmmmmm. Sadly, if I ever came to Australia and brought it with me I'd end up on your border control tv show... which I absolutely love btw.

I feel like almost every smaller city/town in Finland has a night club, or at least something very close to it. But there's definitely a bar available everywhere. Welcome to Finland! Someone asked if Finland was the West Virginia of Europe, and I think I have to agree to some weird degree. (the question was in the comment section of one of the Steve'n'Seagulls videos on Youtube. Check them out!)

Yay for living in the suburbs then. Busses and trains and shopping centres. But we get the benefit of nature and stuff around here too because the suburb I'm in isn't packed on all sides by other suburbs because there's a creek and a river that flow along the edges and sometimes it floods... On the other side there's a main road and all that that entails though.

That's approximately the distance I live from the Brisbane CBD. Of course, public transport over here is not up to the standards of many European cities so it takes a bit to get there. Still, it's convenient for a day out or something similar.
    I'm really fascinated by creeks and rivers. They feel like some super magical thing to me!

Your public transport is probably just fine. I think just places like Helsinki metropolitan area, Tampere and perhaps Turku (I don't go there too often) have a rather good system going on, otherwise it can be quite frustrating and very expensive.

The nearest lake to where I am is artificial. And the next nearest as well. And the next next nearest. South-East Queensland isn't exactly lake country, probably due to the lack of any glacial and geological activity since before even the Aborigines first settled here tens of thousands of years ago.
    See, this sort of thing never happens to because I don't ride bikes. And there's basically no tourist value to the place where I live at all. Hurray for living in boring places?

I don't even think my freezer gets that cold...
    Finland has some artificial lakes, but uh yeah mostly it's all natural and God given beauty. Ah, ponds too... Went swimming there two nights ago which was super nice (... did I mention this before? I feel like I did. or then I just wrote it all in my diary...). My friend thought the water was a tad cold but to her everything is. It was such bliss, a tad cool, but the surface of the water was warm and the sun was gently shining through the clouds at the end of the day... I miss the nightless nights now. It's still not super dark when it's night-night, but dark enough for me to fall asleep more easily....
    And I would rather be where you live. Or in some sort of mid ground. I like a bit of liveliness, but I don't want tourism 24/7 around me.

Nope. But if you want to at least have half the experience, please do spend some time in there.

You wouldn't be able to cycle around the marketplace?

What liquorice poison are you trying to peddle to the poor spaniard now, Finn?
    I could, yeah, but then it's stop lights every 50-100m and still tourists. There's also a lot of maintenance being done to some of the streets and buildings, so it's rather unsafe at times to peddle about....

Honestly, I believe our Spaniard Paladin would like it. Because HEAVY METALL

IOON:
    Happy birthday Wombat!

Happy burthdeisies for Wombambino from me as well!

Thanks! It was the first and last day I turned 24 on the 24th. Now I just gotta wait for my 247th birthday to tell everyone it's my first and last day being 247 on the 24th of July...
    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac
    aah yes, alligators
    the most anime of creatures
    ~Extended Signature~

7. - Top - End - #607
    Titan in the Playground

Indeed it is a permanent move-in. And it's working well, except my sister-in-law doesn't like to share her chocolate. Fortunately I can buy my own chocolate and then not share it.
    Genius. You should leave it out to make her feel jealous.
    Awww... But I taste so delicious!
    Hey, no one said cannibalism was wrong...
    Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    A British teenager has passed away at Roihu Finnjamboree. He had a seizure. They did everything they could, there's professionals at the camp 24/7, but apparently seizure was simply too severe.

I feel kind of empty. Almost all of my friends are at the camp atm. I was supposed to go, but couldn't. Right now I want to be there more than anything, to support... everyone...

All I can really do is this.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Oh, goodness. My condolences, FinnLassie. Maybe you could fire off an email of support?
    IOON:
    Happy birthday Wombat!

Happy birthday, you two!

8. - Top - End - #608
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TaiLiu View Post
    Oh, goodness. My condolences, FinnLassie. Maybe you could fire off an email of support?

Happy birthday, you two!
    (oh, forgot to respond to Zodi that it's the scout salute)

I put a message on the camp's FB page where they had also announced the happening with a quote of Auld Lang Syne (it's known as a scouting song in Finland, really...). I've also been messaging with my friends... it's all been handled very well there, there's been crisis support that has been used and seemed to be a rather useful thing.

Thank you!
    aah yes, alligators
    ~Extended Signature~

9. - Top - End - #609

(oh, forgot to respond to Zodi that it's the scout salute)

I put a message on the camp's FB page where they had also announced the happening with a quote of Auld Lang Syne (it's known as a scouting song in Finland, really...). I've also been messaging with my friends... it's all been handled very well there, there's been crisis support that has been used and seemed to be a rather useful thing.

Thank you!
    Thanks. I tried doing it and it's actually really hard. Maybe my pinkie fingers are just weird though.

But yeah, I...hope people are able to recover. This is basically just awful. It reminds me of how my sister used to have epilepsy (and likely still has the ability to trigger seizures) and it's just...blegh. I don't understand how and why people would be against doing everything we can to fix problems like this. I'm glad they're handling it well.

Also I already told you it but happy birthday again!

10. - Top - End - #610
    Barbarian in the Playground

*pokes Tailiu* Game moved to friday, just so you know. One of the paladins isn't going to be able to make it because of it, but I had to pick the lesser of two evils.

11. - Top - End - #611
    Titan in the Playground

That is pretty strange, Teddy. I'd probably have just gone forward instead of going back to re-re-edit a post, though.
    That I did because Spanish posted just as I edited, pushing the thread over to a new page and adding something I wanted to respond to, so I un-edited my post to add my double post to a new post proper. It's not the first time I've had this problem, though, I'm just not usually about to write a post as I do (and I'm not really quite sure about the causes just yet)...

That is the trouble with heavy metal, it requires an expenditure of energy to start the process and keep it going, therein making the total gain a lot less than expected. Hopefully improvements in the efficiency of electronic devices should help solve this problem.
    Well, there is a limit to how much efficiency you can get out of your electronics. 100% is magic, everything beyond that is a perpetum mobile. Improvements in the energy of the metal bands and audiences can probably aways be made, though.

No need to worry. I never use emoticons anyway so the effort would be wasted. It's just one of those things that would be cool to have, like an antique typewriter or a set of rainbow dice.
    Rainbow dice are pretty pretty, though.

Obviously I'd have to try it for myself in order to see, but outside of curiosity I usually remain conservative in my choice of foodstuffs. So horse will not be on the menu for me any time soon.
    Come to think of it, I've had horse sausage too. It also tasted slightly different to regular sausages of the same kind, but I can't pinpoint how...

In this case? Opportunity. But the only reason I know is that I just looked it up on Wikipedia.
    Ahh...

This is fair, it just strikes me as weird that there are places that get colder than a device designed to keep things frozen. It offends my delicate Australian sensibilities.
    Don't worry, it strikes me as just as weird that there are places which get hotter than the human body.

Meanwhile, that's probably the favourite character of all Swedish movie productions of all time. Suffice to say, Swedes (as all Nordics) have no idea of how to create anything without making it super depressing.

I'm really fascinated by creeks and rivers. They feel like some super magical thing to me!
    They really are!

I could, yeah, but then it's stop lights every 50-100m and still tourists. There's also a lot of maintenance being done to some of the streets and buildings, so it's rather unsafe at times to peddle about....
    I failed to see the problem with traffic lights, but then I realised I live in a city with bicycle paths everywhere, so my perspective is quite skewed...

Well, I'm not sure liquorice really counts as HEAVY METALL. It's more pretentious culture-masochism in my world.

Thanks! It was the first and last day I turned 24 on the 24th. Now I just gotta wait for my 247th birthday to tell everyone it's my first and last day being 247 on the 24th of July...
    I overshot my such day over 3 years ago. And nearly 190 years until I can do that too. Hmm...

ION:
    My left ear decided to clog up completely, so now I'm nearly deaf on that side and also slightly disoriented due to how it affects my balance organ. It is actually pretty annoying...

Show

12. - Top - End - #612
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Find that stuff, yee-haw!

Happy burthdeisies for Wombambino from me as well!

I'll find it or iīll brew it

It was your birthday??.... Happy birthday lady of the finns!!!... Ahh, 24 years, how young!!

Well, I'm not sure liquorice really counts as HEAVY METALL. It's more pretentious culture-masochism in my world.
    It counts as Heavy Metal!!.. AND as culture-masochism, there is no contradiction

13. - Top - End - #613
    Titan in the Playground

It counts as Heavy Metal!!.. AND as culture-masochism, there is no contradiction
    But is it pretentious?

ION:
    Little brother being the luxophobe he is enforces total darkness on the living room because he's sleeping in the room next door and some of the light slips through the cracks. Given, it's around bedtime, so we should probably evacuate it anyway, but I still find it a bit too uncompromising of him, and it in turn makes me want to be unnecessarily rebellious against him and turn on lights I don't need. Which I won't, but I'm still being slightly annoyed about the whole thing.

Show

14. - Top - End - #614
    Ettin in the Playground

But is it pretentious?

ION:
    Little brother being the luxophobe he is enforces total darkness on the living room because he's sleeping in the room next door and some of the light slips through the cracks. Given, it's around bedtime, so we should probably evacuate it anyway, but I still find it a bit too uncompromising of him, and it in turn makes me want to be unnecessarily rebellious against him and turn on lights I don't need. Which I won't, but I'm still being slightly annoyed about the whole thing.
    You've met metalheads before, right?

Couldn't he just... wedge some clothes in the crack underneath the door? Goodness knows I've done that before (it also helps to keep out some noise). Or better yet - put on one of those sleeping masks.
    A few odds and ends.

15. - Top - End - #615

NecromancerGuy

Are creeks and streams and rivers rare? I thought they were a natural consequence of all of the mountains in the...Nordic peninsula.

Have I really been taking for granted all the creeks and streams and crawdads of West Virginia and the American South?

Did I forget my topography and the only place that has streams is Norway because of their fjords?

Couldn't he just... wedge some clothes in the crack underneath the door? Goodness knows I've done that before (it also helps to keep out some noise). Or better yet - put on one of those sleeping masks.
    Metal needs pretentisium in order to continue whatever it do instead of rocking, right?

It's the top and side cracks of the door which are the real killer for me. That's part of why I prefer bedrooms to be off of a short hallway off of the living room when it comes to house design.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

16. - Top - End - #616
    Ettin in the Playground

Does anyone else think Guns & Roses sounds similar to Heart?
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

17. - Top - End - #617
    Troll in the Playground

Today I witnessed one of the most hilarious things I've seen in a long while...

I had just left the bus and was fixing my smaller bag to my backpack (60L... and weighs like a ton thanks to all of the stuff), and noticed that from around the corner a swarm of corgies on leashes were walking down, followed by a lady maybe in her 40s (very posh clothes, I must add) that seemed to be draggged by the 4 to 5 dogs that I saw. The lady had an extremely happy smile on her face and you could see that she was enjoying the moment, and then I noticed the small girl, maybe 7 or 8, behind her in a very cute flowery summer dress. Her face was glued on her smartphone, and before I had my thoughts collected the lady said in a very lilt voice "Honey, have you found more of those pokemons?" still a big smile on her face.

The girl was still dead silent staring at her phone. After noticing that, the lady, which I assume to be the girl's mother or some of the like, still smiled for a bit, then made a small "hhahh.." sound and turned her head back.

It was just too surreal. Too surreal.

I failed to see the problem with traffic lights, but then I realised I live in a city with bicycle paths everywhere, so my perspective is quite skewed...

I overshot my such day over 3 years ago. And nearly 190 years until I can do that too. Hmm...
    The town I live in is waaaay too tiny for those. And now I'm in Helsinki, confused about cycling paths and the fact that I can't just ride my bicycle everywhere that I want... *cries* this is one of the many reasons why I hate this damn capital...

Licorice is always heavy metal. Everything Finnish is heavy metal.

Life goals.

I'll find it or iīll brew it

It was your birthday??.... Happy birthday lady of the finns!!!... Ahh, 24 years, how young!!
    You can do it!

Thank you, thank you. And no... 24 isn't that young! It's old! I'm old! I'm withering! Next year I'll be crumbling to dust as I hit the quarter of a century mark!

ION:
    *barely raises arm*
    I can't sleep if there's random light streaks coming around... Or too much light in any shape or form.

Are creeks and streams and rivers rare? I thought they were a natural consequence of all of the mountains in the...Nordic peninsula.

Have I really been taking for granted all the creeks and streams and crawdads of West Virginia and the American South?
    I can't say if they exist or not, but I've not been around too many is all I can tell. There's something super magical about them. There is! Just like some people Find the nightless ight magical. For me it's normal - a tad magical, but still the norm.

ION: I wonder if I have an Elemental post to reply to... hmm... maybe. Too tired and hungry to think that far...
    aah yes, alligators
    ~Extended Signature~

18. - Top - End - #618
    Ettin in the Playground

Have you not tasted it? It's rather alright as it is, but I prefer it when it's mixed with other things in a metwurst sausage. Mmmmmm. Sadly, if I ever came to Australia and brought it with me I'd end up on your border control tv show... which I absolutely love btw.

I feel like almost every smaller city/town in Finland has a night club, or at least something very close to it. But there's definitely a bar available everywhere. Welcome to Finland! Someone asked if Finland was the West Virginia of Europe, and I think I have to agree to some weird degree. (the question was in the comment section of one of the Steve'n'Seagulls videos on Youtube. Check them out!)

Your public transport is probably just fine. I think just places like Helsinki metropolitan area, Tampere and perhaps Turku (I don't go there too often) have a rather good system going on, otherwise it can be quite frustrating and very expensive.

Finland has some artificial lakes, but uh yeah mostly it's all natural and God given beauty. Ah, ponds too... Went swimming there two nights ago which was super nice (... did I mention this before? I feel like I did. or then I just wrote it all in my diary...). My friend thought the water was a tad cold but to her everything is. It was such bliss, a tad cool, but the surface of the water was warm and the sun was gently shining through the clouds at the end of the day... I miss the nightless nights now. It's still not super dark when it's night-night, but dark enough for me to fall asleep more easily....
    And I would rather be where you live. Or in some sort of mid ground. I like a bit of liveliness, but I don't want tourism 24/7 around me.

Nope. But if you want to at least have half the experience, please do spend some time in there.
    The consumption of horse is really not a thing in cultures derived from a British foundation. I've no doubt one could get it, but it's probably overpriced and hard to find.
    Probably. Personally though, I'm not too fond of it, but then I've never really enjoyed reality type shows, but if you end up on it I'll make sure to watch that episode!

That's just bizarre. How often do you people need to go clubbing that you require nightclubs to be readily available? Is it like shopping over there, you head out for a bottle of milk and a quick dance party? Finland truly is a strange place then...

You'd be disappointed by the ones where I am. I'm pretty near the sea, a few kilometres in fact, meaning both rivers are pretty slow and the creek's only a small one and wedged between a light industrial estate (warehouses, mechanics and such) and a couple of schools.

Probably. Given Brisbane's the only city around for hundreds of kilometres I haven't exactly had a chance to compare it.

Australia has plenty of natural beauty. Just, you know, most of it is rather dry. Also, I don't swim, I'm weird that way and it's apparently very unAustralian of me. However, it does sound nice, just you know, not for me.

But Finn, I wouldn't fit in the freezer. Probably. Anyways, it has food in it right now.

Quote Originally Posted by TaiLiu View Post
    Genius. You should leave it out to make her feel jealous.

Hey, no one said cannibalism was wrong...
    Nah. I keep my chocolate in the fridge so it doesn't melt. It's not so much a problem at the moment, but it's a habit ingrained after so many Queensland Summers.

I'm pretty sure that's the opposite of what people say about cannibalism.

Well, there is a limit to how much efficiency you can get out of your electronics. 100% is magic, everything beyond that is a perpetum mobile. Improvements in the energy of the metal bands and audiences can probably aways be made, though.

Rainbow dice are pretty pretty, though.

Come to think of it, I've had horse sausage too. It also tasted slightly different to regular sausages of the same kind, but I can't pinpoint how...

Don't worry, it strikes me as just as weird that there are places which get hotter than the human body.
    Yet another case of thermodynamics ruining everything for everyone. I'm sure this is Lord Kelvin's fault somehow.

Isn't that basically what it means to have something because it's cool? I.e., having something you have no need for but like for reasons of aesthetics and other intangible concerns?

That's fair. I can't explain the differences in the taste between lamb and beef, as an example, but I know they're different.

That one's a perfectly reasonable complaint. I mean, in such a situation your body goes from maintaining a temperature warmer than the air to having to keep from overheating. I mean, if I were a homeostatic system I'd find that a pain.

I had just left the bus and was fixing my smaller bag to my backpack (60L... and weighs like a ton thanks to all of the stuff), and noticed that from around the corner a swarm of corgies on leashes were walking down, followed by a lady maybe in her 40s (very posh clothes, I must add) that seemed to be draggged by the 4 to 5 dogs that I saw. The lady had an extremely happy smile on her face and you could see that she was enjoying the moment, and then I noticed the small girl, maybe 7 or 8, behind her in a very cute flowery summer dress. Her face was glued on her smartphone, and before I had my thoughts collected the lady said in a very lilt voice "Honey, have you found more of those pokemons?" still a big smile on her face.

The girl was still dead silent staring at her phone. After noticing that, the lady, which I assume to be the girl's mother or some of the like, still smiled for a bit, then made a small "hhahh.." sound and turned her head back.

ION: I wonder if I have an Elemental post to reply to... hmm... maybe. Too tired and hungry to think that far...
    I was right. Finland is a very strange place.

Sorry, was slacking off again.
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)

Dragons!

19. - Top - End - #619
    Troll in the Playground

Probably. Personally though, I'm not too fond of it, but then I've never really enjoyed reality type shows, but if you end up on it I'll make sure to watch that episode!

That's just bizarre. How often do you people need to go clubbing that you require nightclubs to be readily available? Is it like shopping over there, you head out for a bottle of milk and a quick dance party? Finland truly is a strange place then...

You'd be disappointed by the ones where I am. I'm pretty near the sea, a few kilometres in fact, meaning both rivers are pretty slow and the creek's only a small one and wedged between a light industrial estate (warehouses, mechanics and such) and a couple of schools.
    The only reality tv shows that I like either revolve around wedding dresses or border control. I just love watching the Aussie one. Everything's so... bizarre... we would never get that kind of stuff in Finland, and even if we did, it'd be like... once every 50 years or something. There's some weird people and weird things going in and out of your country, you know that? And why does someone always want to bring a whole chicken with them? (not a live one - fear not, Cuth!)

Well, this country seems to love its alcohol. I'm not much of a liquor consumer myself, so sometimes all of this seems very weird to me as well. A friend of mine said that the amount of alcohol I drink per year is how much they do in one weekend - and they might drink even more than that.

I still bet it's absolutely magical and beautiful, my dear cheesepony. If I ever get lost and find myself in Australia, please show me around! My dream is to travel from Perth to Brisbane/Gold Coast by different means of transportations at some point in life.

Probably. Given Brisbane's the only city around for hundreds of kilometres I haven't exactly had a chance to compare it.

Australia has plenty of natural beauty. Just, you know, most of it is rather dry. Also, I don't swim, I'm weird that way and it's apparently very unAustralian of me. However, it does sound nice, just you know, not for me.

But Finn, I wouldn't fit in the freezer. Probably. Anyways, it has food in it right now.
    'Straya is way too big. How do people even live there? Like, especially in the middle of Australia? Why do people even bother trying when everything around you is killing you, even the sun?

You say that, but wait til you get to Finland and I get to dip you in some good ol' lake water! Dip Dip Dip.

Hmm. But I don't even know how tall you are...
    Oh. Yeah. Right. I always imagine this kind of a freezer (the big ones) when talking about them; likely because we had that when I was growing up. They're huge. Me and my other sister could fit in there together when we were kids! Test proved. And well yeah, pretty much everyone had them when I was a kid. Common thing if you live in a detached house, it seems.

I was right. Finland is a very strange place.

Sorry, was slacking off again.
    To be fair, I'm in Helsinki at the moment. Helsinki isn't Finland. It's, well, you know. The capital city is always somehow different than the other places. Everything's weird, everyone's weird, you never know what kind of a crazy being comes in front of you. Although I don't think that's the case in Australia... a lot of people outside of Australia don't even seem to know Canberra exists.

Nah, it was just my brain being confused over what day it is and what time and where am I and why. :D

ION:
    My mother plays Pokemon Go. No. No no no. No.
    EDIT:
    *talking with mum when suddenly*
    Mum: HA! YES! FINALLY! *rushes to balcony*
    Me: ???????? *continues listening to music, then*
    *silence*
    *silence*
    Me: ............ are you playing pokemon go
    Mum: THERE'S A LURE AT THE GATE!!!!1111!!!!
    Last edited by FinnLassie; 2016-07-27 at 02:05 PM.
    aah yes, alligators
    ~Extended Signature~

20. - Top - End - #620
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

You can do it!

Thank you, thank you. And no... 24 isn't that young! It's old! I'm old! I'm withering! Next year I'll be crumbling to dust as I hit the quarter of a century mark!
    Then I am a mummy with my 37 years

21. - Top - End - #621

BlackDragon

I turned 46 last week. Just sayin'.

22. - Top - End - #622
    Ettin in the Playground

Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

23. - Top - End - #623
    Troll in the Playground

*stares*

.......... I thought you were like... 25-29. YOU LOOK SO YOUNG.

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    I turned 46 last week. Just sayin'.
    You people are getting close to how old my parents are!

*screams*
    I will be my parents' age at one point too
    My age crisis is doing really well!
    Last edited by FinnLassie; 2016-07-27 at 04:45 PM.
    aah yes, alligators
    ~Extended Signature~

24. - Top - End - #624
    Titan in the Playground

I do, and most of them would not qualify as pretentious, but rather quite modest. I guess one of them would do, but if I said it in his vicinity, he would probably stare down on me in the most threatening way possible. And I'm not short by any measure.

The door doesn't close completely, light slips through every side. And there are no sleeping masks in reach up here (but he would probably refuse them anyway).

Did I forget my topography and the only place that has streams is Norway because of their fjords?
    Not here in Sweden, no. Up here, by the lake, they're 13 a dozen, but that doesn't mean they don't have to be magical.

Girl has priorities.

The town I live in is waaaay too tiny for those. And now I'm in Helsinki, confused about cycling paths and the fact that I can't just ride my bicycle everywhere that I want... *cries* this is one of the many reasons why I hate this damn capital...
    Wait, you can't go on streets which don't have cycling paths?

Life goals.
    True. I'd very much prefer to live as long as I want to. Immortality is a tempting thought.

Shush you, you're younger than me! Don't make sound like a corpse or I'm going to start mocking your traditional "sauna, terva, koskenkorva" cure.

*barely raises arm*
    I can't sleep if there's random light streaks coming around... Or too much light in any shape or form.
    I was pretty much like that myself a year ago. Moving to a room with a too wide window to install a window blind kinda forced that streak out of me. The curtains I got instead were of varying transparency, and I just decided to screw it and sleep with my windows completely open.

I guess I was lucky in that I was pretty tired all around during my moving week and had no troubles falling asleep during the entire habitation period, and I'm now pretty good at sleeping in anything below full daylight conditions.

I can't say if they exist or not, but I've not been around too many is all I can tell. There's something super magical about them. There is! Just like some people Find the nightless ight magical. For me it's normal - a tad magical, but still the norm.
    Huh, that's surprising given how much water you have. But I guess the lack of mountains means there's little downward elevation for a creek to run down from...

Yet another case of thermodynamics ruining everything for everyone. I'm sure this is Lord Kelvin's fault somehow.
    I think Ringworld had an interesting take on what would happen to a world with a too large access to energy. It's only mentioned in one chapter, but the puppeteer's homeworld is basically alight with excess energy which they're barely able to shed at the same rate as they were producing it. They never went further into it for the rest of the book, but it was an interesting perspective...

Isn't that basically what it means to have something because it's cool? I.e., having something you have no need for but like for reasons of aesthetics and other intangible concerns?
    Well, it can also be useful, but unnecessary in the sense that there are non-cool options which work just as well and possibly outperform in one or two categories.

That one's a perfectly reasonable complaint. I mean, in such a situation your body goes from maintaining a temperature warmer than the air to having to keep from overheating. I mean, if I were a homeostatic system I'd find that a pain.
    Well, what weirds me out the most is that past 37°C, you go from the body trying to get rid of excess heat to the body trying to get rid of excess heat in a temperature which is higher than the temperature you're trying to maintain. I get the physical principles behind it, but the intuitive aspect of it does put up some resistance.

[chicken] (not a live one - fear not, Cuth!)
    Doesn't that rather mean he has to fear doubly?

EDIT:
    *screams*
    Technically you already are or you will never be, depending on how you look at it.

ION:
    I've found exactly one Pokémon spawn point all around the lake, including the village beyond the lake upstreams. So no running out of Pokéballs anytime soon, in other words. Tomorrow I'll learn if spawn points move/despawn, or if they remain a static feature...
    Last edited by Teddy; 2016-07-27 at 04:51 PM.

Show

25. - Top - End - #625
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

*stares*

.......... I thought you were like... 25-29. YOU LOOK SO YOUNG.

You people are getting close to how old my parents are!

*screams*

Thanks!!, the mediterranean lifestyle i suppose

Donīt be silly, you are so young, enjoy it!!

26. - Top - End - #626
    Ettin in the Playground

Why do people call armlemon "handegg" when that name clearly fits rugby better?
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

27. - Top - End - #627
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Brisbane has the most expensive public transport system of all the major Australian cities.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

28. - Top - End - #628
    Ettin in the Playground

The only reality tv shows that I like either revolve around wedding dresses or border control. I just love watching the Aussie one. Everything's so... bizarre... we would never get that kind of stuff in Finland, and even if we did, it'd be like... once every 50 years or something. There's some weird people and weird things going in and out of your country, you know that? And why does someone always want to bring a whole chicken with them? (not a live one - fear not, Cuth!)

Well, this country seems to love its alcohol. I'm not much of a liquor consumer myself, so sometimes all of this seems very weird to me as well. A friend of mine said that the amount of alcohol I drink per year is how much they do in one weekend - and they might drink even more than that.

I still bet it's absolutely magical and beautiful, my dear cheesepony. If I ever get lost and find myself in Australia, please show me around! My dream is to travel from Perth to Brisbane/Gold Coast by different means of transportations at some point in life.

'Straya is way too big. How do people even live there? Like, especially in the middle of Australia? Why do people even bother trying when everything around you is killing you, even the sun?

You say that, but wait til you get to Finland and I get to dip you in some good ol' lake water! Dip Dip Dip.

Hmm. But I don't even know how tall you are...
    Oh. Yeah. Right. I always imagine this kind of a freezer (the big ones) when talking about them; likely because we had that when I was growing up. They're huge. Me and my other sister could fit in there together when we were kids! Test proved. And well yeah, pretty much everyone had them when I was a kid. Common thing if you live in a detached house, it seems.

To be fair, I'm in Helsinki at the moment. Helsinki isn't Finland. It's, well, you know. The capital city is always somehow different than the other places. Everything's weird, everyone's weird, you never know what kind of a crazy being comes in front of you. Although I don't think that's the case in Australia... a lot of people outside of Australia don't even seem to know Canberra exists.

Nah, it was just my brain being confused over what day it is and what time and where am I and why. :D
    Funnily enough, those are the types my Mum watches... Okay. She also watches ones about the police, but border control is a type of police so it's all the same. As for why we get so many weird people and things, I honestly have no idea. It could just be because we get a lot of tourists.

Alcohol is apparently rather popular over here as well, I've just never encountered a nightclub that wasn't in a major metropolitan area. Personally though, I don't drink. Or dance. Or listen to loud music. So admittedly there could be a lot more nightclubs here than I realise given I'm not looking for them.

It would depend on your definition of magical I suppose. The vegetation around it is certainly lush and it is usually pretty quiet down there. Plus there are ducks and there's always the chance they're magic ducks.
    Sure, just make your way to Brisbane and I'll show you around a bit. As for travelling from Perth to Brisbane, I suggest a plane unless you really like driving through undifferentiated terrain of nothing. But then, some people like that sort of thing, so if you want to you can.

Well... The lethality of the continent is greatly exaggerated. I mean, I've made it to twenty-three without dying once and I'm hardly good at dealing with nature.

Nuuuu! My one weakness!

Let me see... According to my learner's license, one hundred and eighty-three centimetres. So I could conceivably fit in our freezer, which is one of those kinds, but it would be very uncomfortable and there'd be nowhere for the food.
    Finnish Google... I'm shocked at how similar it is to Australian Google...

Trust me, I understand the weirdness of capital cities. In Canberra's case, even though you know what kind of weird being you're likely to encounter said kind of weird being is likely a politician or affiliated with one. Our state capitals are more like a traditional capital in honesty given they're actual organic cities and Canberra was built artificially for one purpose.

I know the feeling. There's not much a person can do if their brain is confused.

I think Ringworld had an interesting take on what would happen to a world with a too large access to energy. It's only mentioned in one chapter, but the puppeteer's homeworld is basically alight with excess energy which they're barely able to shed at the same rate as they were producing it. They never went further into it for the rest of the book, but it was an interesting perspective...

Well, it can also be useful, but unnecessary in the sense that there are non-cool options which work just as well and possibly outperform in one or two categories.

Well, what weirds me out the most is that past 37°C, you go from the body trying to get rid of excess heat to the body trying to get rid of excess heat in a temperature which is higher than the temperature you're trying to maintain. I get the physical principles behind it, but the intuitive aspect of it does put up some resistance.
    Sounds intriguing. Most science fiction series ignore that sort of boring practical concern. Of course, that's partly because if you make your science fiction too hard it has a chance of getting too bogged down in technical details.

True. I suppose that's why people put so much effort into fusing form and function.

That's why it's uncomfortable. It makes no logical sense at first glance.

Dragons!

29. - Top - End - #629
    Troll in the Playground

Wait, you can't go on streets which don't have cycling paths?

Shush you, you're younger than me! Don't make sound like a corpse or I'm going to start mocking your traditional "sauna, terva, koskenkorva" cure.

Huh, that's surprising given how much water you have. But I guess the lack of mountains means there's little downward elevation for a creek to run down from...
    Wharbgarbl. I mean pedestrian paths. See, in Espoo, where I've spent most of my years there's almost no pedestrian paths where you cannot ride your bicycle, but here in Helsinki it's extremely regulated. Which makes me confused and stressed out, I'm used to having freedom and avoiding planning ahead in terms of getting from A to B.

But there is nothing wrong with our medical exellency! Though it's not koskenkorva, just hard Finnish liquor in general.

Yeah. There's more in Lapland, high likely, but they're mostly those streams with pure, see through mountain water. So not a lot of plants around either. I did see some very magical ones in Scotland though, plenty of those around!

Thanks!!, the mediterranean lifestyle i suppose

Donīt be silly, you are so young, enjoy it!!
    Well... I still look my age so that's a bonus? Though, mid-20s is the time when people think you're anything between 20 and 30. But mostly people have pictured me as 23-25 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    Brisbane has the most expensive public transport system of all the major Australian cities.
    Gotta check how expensive it is. Also, summer cottage pics are in the You thread, but you've probably seen them already?

Alcohol is apparently rather popular over here as well, I've just never encountered a nightclub that wasn't in a major metropolitan area. Personally though, I don't drink. Or dance. Or listen to loud music. So admittedly there could be a lot more nightclubs here than I realise given I'm not looking for them.

It would depend on your definition of magical I suppose. The vegetation around it is certainly lush and it is usually pretty quiet down there. Plus there are ducks and there's always the chance they're magic ducks.
    Sure, just make your way to Brisbane and I'll show you around a bit. As for travelling from Perth to Brisbane, I suggest a plane unless you really like driving through undifferentiated terrain of nothing. But then, some people like that sort of thing, so if you want to you can.

Well... The lethality of the continent is greatly exaggerated. I mean, I've made it to twenty-three without dying once and I'm hardly good at dealing with nature.

Nuuuu! My one weakness!

Let me see... According to my learner's license, one hundred and eighty-three centimetres. So I could conceivably fit in our freezer, which is one of those kinds, but it would be very uncomfortable and there'd be nowhere for the food.
    Finnish Google... I'm shocked at how similar it is to Australian Google...
    I didn't use to drink, but I do like some beers. I'd say I drink about... 3-6 units a year? To be fair I don't know why I drink at all, since alcohol isn't exactly the best thing in life and one can life without it for sure. But eh. A lot of my friends go out to bars, pubs and nightclubs, so I think I've become acquainted with them just through conversation, really. Plus the four times I've been to night clubs myself - I don't understand why I've agreed to go to one after my first experience that was very disturbing and upsetting in many ways. However, in Scotland I did drink way too much but that's another story about my surpressed depression that is actually story that doesn't really need to be told any further

Oh, I am so, so utterly smitten by your description. It honestly sounds like a dream come true! Now I must come over to Australia and book you as my guide. Although it might take a few years until I get there. But um. You're still in duty! And yes, probably no way I'd drive from Perth to anywhere, but I'd likely drive, take a bus, train, so forth... I don't care if they're expensive or horrible quality (it's all subjective), as long as I won't die it's going to be an experience; not everything has to be wonderful; life's a journey full of ups and downs.

I would likely die out of the heat more than anything. Australia's one big hot tamale - even during your "winter".

Dip dippedy dip! Have you always disliked water? Do you at least like walking in shallow water or dipping your toes?

Ah! A taller type of a man, I don't know why but my initial thought was "how exciting!". Rather weird, isn't it? So you have a "coffin freezer" as well? What a delight to hear! They're so much fun - I remember being a very tiny girl and climbing and hanging off the side when scavenging for ice cream...
    ... Isn't google the same everywhere?

Btw, is everyone Bruce there?
    aah yes, alligators
    ~Extended Signature~

30. - Top - End - #630
    Titan in the Playground

Thank you!
    Ah, that's good to know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aegis J Hyena View Post
    *pokes Tailiu* Game moved to friday, just so you know. One of the paladins isn't going to be able to make it because of it, but I had to pick the lesser of two evils.
    Ah, yes - I got the PM.
    Nah. I keep my chocolate in the fridge so it doesn't melt. It's not so much a problem at the moment, but it's a habit ingrained after so many Queensland Summers.
    Smart. I should start doing that.
    I'm pretty sure that's the opposite of what people say about cannibalism.
    Psh! Those people are silly. The only thing you have to worry about are ultimately fatal and untreatable prion diseases. And that's only if you eat the brain.

In a more serious tone, it's hard to find any convincing arguments for why cannibalism is morally wrong.

ION:
    My mother plays Pokemon Go. No. No no no. No.
    EDIT:
    *talking with mum when suddenly*
    Mum: HA! YES! FINALLY! *rushes to balcony*
    Me: ???????? *continues listening to music, then*
    *silence*
    *silence*
    Me: ............ are you playing pokemon go
    Mum: THERE'S A LURE AT THE GATE!!!!1111!!!!
    Ha ha! That game certainly is popular right now, isn't it?