New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 50 of 51 FirstFirst ... 25404142434445464748495051 LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,500 of 1504
  1. - Top - End - #1471
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Who's Excited For Skyrim?

Quote Originally Posted by agentnone View Post
    Yes and no. You don't have to use the bow to dis-enchant it and learn the effect. If you don't have any filled soul gems though, then this might not be a bad idea, however, I've found them all over the place and never use them, so you can always look around.
    I have yet to find any FILLED soul gems.

Anyway, best moment in the game so far: I found my way to a bandit camp in an old mine, and I got thrashed repeatedly. I finally resorted to underhanded tactics:

I sneaked in far enough to shoot Rage at the bandit leader and then retreated. Next thing I know he had kill all three of his very competent underlings and lost 1/3 of his health in the process. Finishing him off was very easy.

Happy times.

Now I just have to decide... when to head to the Greybeards? I really want to find a good one-handed Sword instead of the Axe of Frost I use at the moment. My little girl is an Orc, but she enjoys running people through much more than axing them in the face.
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

2. - Top - End - #1472
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Avilan the Grey View Post
    I have yet to find any FILLED soul gems.
    Maybe you're not looking hard enough? I've never stolen any items from anyone. I know I got a few from a few magical assistants the Jarls have. Make nice with the Jarl and you might be able to find a soul gem in the wizard's area that you can take (not steal). I have a lot of them for some reason and I don't have the the soul trap spell or effect on my weapon. So I don't know. But at the same time, with how this game is, every person on this board will go a different path when playing the game, so I guess it depends on your play style and whatnot.
    "For pony!"

3. - Top - End - #1473
    Banned

Skyrim II: A Dragon A Day Keeps The Draugr At Bay

Make it happen.

4. - Top - End - #1474
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Math_Mage View Post

Make it happen.
    I actually like this one.

5. - Top - End - #1475
    Titan in the Playground

Maybe you're not looking hard enough?
    You know... my bad. I just assumed the 5-6 I have are empty... I'll try to craft something and see what happens.

Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

6. - Top - End - #1476
    Halfling in the Playground

Now I just have to decide... when to head to the Greybeards?
    Immediately. Right now. You won't regret it.

7. - Top - End - #1477
    Barbarian in the Playground

I got a couple of questions about Enchanting that I hope someone can clear up for me;

I have been leveling the skill away (around about 60 now) and have a few dozen different enchants. I have noticed however that I seem to have a few (40 odd) soul gems of varying sizes that dont appear on the list when Im at the enchanting table. Does anyone know why this is?

I tried browsing around various wiki and I occasionlly see mention of, though no elaboration on, Empty Soul Gems. Could this be what I have? Though I would presume they would have the 'Empty' bit as part of their description.

My other thought was that they might be the various soul gems that I have stolen, though I dont see why they would make a difference.

On an unrelated note I had one of those 'this game is awesome moments' last night. Spoilered for length

Spoiler
    Show
    I was making my way from building to building stealing anything valuable as I went. I reached the point where I had gone just over my carry capacity. Rooting through my inventory I look for the least valuable item to drop, it was an Iron Sword.

No sooner had I dropped it than a passing child said something to the effect of "ooo whats this here, it looks like fun". This of course makes me pause and look around to see whats going on. There behind me is a random kid bent over looking at the dagger I dropped. Right behind the kid was a guard, who had a few choice words for me....

One quick dressing down later about leaving dangerous weapons lying in the street I was given a choice of responses; (paraphased)
    "Yes sir, sorry sir, wont happen again sir"
    or
    "I hear what your saying, but I dont really care"

Not wanting to get into trouble with the guards I apologised and picked the weapon back up. I slowly hobbled around the corner, made sure there were no guards in sight and dropped it again.

Good times

8. - Top - End - #1478
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

You know... my bad. I just assumed the 5-6 I have are empty... I'll try to craft something and see what happens.
    Don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to be mean or anything. Just saying is all. I picked up a lot of them of varying sizes and didn't realize until I was dropping them all off in my house that some actually had souls in them still. I never noticed that until then, so just trying to help others learn from my mistake. Even if it wasn't that big of one. lol
    "For pony!"

9. - Top - End - #1479
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Parra View Post
    I got a couple of questions about Enchanting that I hope someone can clear up for me;

I have been leveling the skill away (around about 60 now) and have a few dozen different enchants. I have noticed however that I seem to have a few (40 odd) soul gems of varying sizes that dont appear on the list when Im at the enchanting table. Does anyone know why this is?

I tried browsing around various wiki and I occasionlly see mention of, though no elaboration on, Empty Soul Gems. Could this be what I have? Though I would presume they would have the 'Empty' bit as part of their description.

My other thought was that they might be the various soul gems that I have stolen, though I dont see why they would make a difference.

On an unrelated note I had one of those 'this game is awesome moments' last night. Spoilered for length

Spoiler
    Show
    I was making my way from building to building stealing anything valuable as I went. I reached the point where I had gone just over my carry capacity. Rooting through my inventory I look for the least valuable item to drop, it was an Iron Sword.

No sooner had I dropped it than a passing child said something to the effect of "ooo whats this here, it looks like fun". This of course makes me pause and look around to see whats going on. There behind me is a random kid bent over looking at the dagger I dropped. Right behind the kid was a guard, who had a few choice words for me....

One quick dressing down later about leaving dangerous weapons lying in the street I was given a choice of responses; (paraphased)
    "Yes sir, sorry sir, wont happen again sir"
    or
    "I hear what your saying, but I dont really care"

Not wanting to get into trouble with the guards I apologised and picked the weapon back up. I slowly hobbled around the corner, made sure there were no guards in sight and dropped it again.

Good times
    You are correct. If they soul gem is empty, it won't be available for enchanting. If they are empty, their description will say: Petty Soul Gem. But, IIRC, if they have a soul in them, they'll say this instead: Petty Sould Gem (Petty). Also, looking in your equipment and highlighting on the gems will give you the same information. Give that a shot. I'm not an expert on enchanting whatsoever. I haven't actually done it yet myself. But I have noticed the plethora of soul gems I have, some say they have a soul in them in parenthesis and the empty ones done.

Edit: That spoilered story is hilarious. Wonder what would have happened if the guard wasn't around and the kid picked it up....
    Last edited by agentnone; 2011-11-17 at 04:44 AM.
    "For pony!"

10. - Top - End - #1480
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dralnu View Post
    Yeah, they're really easy to kill as a blaster or archer. Maybe the tougher ones will pose a challenge, but probably it will just have more HP.
    Really? Find them a pain in the ass to hit while in the air.

In other news, I got the quest to get Azura's star. Debating with myself whether to get it or not. Would certainly make enchanting easier, but I worry it might do so too much.
    Last edited by Drascin; 2011-11-17 at 05:02 AM.

11. - Top - End - #1481

You are correct. If they soul gem is empty, it won't be available for enchanting. If they are empty, their description will say: Petty Soul Gem. But, IIRC, if they have a soul in them, they'll say this instead: Petty Sould Gem (Petty). Also, looking in your equipment and highlighting on the gems will give you the same information. Give that a shot. I'm not an expert on enchanting whatsoever. I haven't actually done it yet myself. But I have noticed the plethora of soul gems I have, some say they have a soul in them in parenthesis and the empty ones done.
    I'll take a closer look at the names again last night, it is possible I just blanked over the slightly different spellings. If it does turn out to be a bunch of empty soul gems, how do I fill them? Using the various soul draining spells/enchants?

12. - Top - End - #1482
    Troll in the Playground

I'll take a closer look at the names again last night, it is possible I just blanked over the slightly different spellings. If it does turn out to be a bunch of empty soul gems, how do I fill them? Using the various soul draining spells/enchants?
    Yes. You can use soul bind spells on something and then kill it, and if you have a gem big enough it'll fill up. If you can enchant, though, getting a weapon with 1-second bind effect is usualy a much better choice - just deal the killing blow with it and you'll catch the soul, no worries about charging spells or the fact that Soul Drain really costs a pretty nice chunk of Magicka if you aren't into its school.

13. - Top - End - #1483

Since Im focusing on Spell casting I can see that being a little tricky.
    I wonder if I enchant my followers weapon and have them carry the empty gems if that will do the trick. They usually get the killing blow anyway.

14. - Top - End - #1484
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dhavaer View Post
    By Talos, the Nightmare Child!

Spoiler
    Show

Kid, I think you have more to worry about than sweetrolls.
    HA! That's fricken hilarious.
    "For pony!"

15. - Top - End - #1485
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I wonder if I enchant my followers weapon and have them carry the empty gems if that will do the trick. They usually get the killing blow anyway.
    I had Lydia running around with me and she was holding some of my loot. When we ran into some wizards she pulled out a lightning staff and starting blasting. As far as I could tell, it didn't use any charges on it, but she was using it full force. It was kind of awesome actually. It would be worth a try.

I do have a question though about enchanting. In Oblivion I was unable to enchance arrows. Can you enchant them in Skyrim?
    "For pony!"

16. - Top - End - #1486
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Drascin View Post
    Really? Find them a pain in the ass to hit while in the air.
    They will stop and hover a lot shoot them 2-3 times while they do.

17. - Top - End - #1487
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah, they do hover sometimes, but mostly they keep making passes continuously until I'm willing to fight them barehanded if in exchange they'd just stay still already

Don't see why - if you have a good magicka bar and spellcasting discounts, as you probably do, being a mage, it should be easier for you with your magic than for me with my bow. Just cast Soul Trap with your left hand and continue blasting with your right.

18. - Top - End - #1488
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, they do hover sometimes, but mostly they keep making passes continuously until I'm willing to fight them barehanded if in exchange they'd just stay still already
    Hey, I am amazed enough that they only land occasionally! Finally dragons in an RPG that actually fight from the air!

19. - Top - End - #1489

Don't see why - if you have a good magicka bar and spellcasting discounts, as you probably do, being a mage, it should be easier for you with your magic than for me with my bow. Just cast Soul Trap with your left hand and continue blasting with your right.
    I can see the theory and you are right it should be easier, however my go-to style is dual same spell for the Destruction Perk that stuns the opponent briefly (handy when fighting giants).

I am geared to reduce destruction costs a good bit, but I still run out of magika often enough that I go to my Bow for alot of fights to let the magika regen

20. - Top - End - #1490
    Troll in the Playground

Hey, I am amazed enough that they only land occasionally! Finally dragons in an RPG that actually fight from the air!
    Yes, it's realistic, but it also tends to lead to fifteen minutes of neither of us being able to actually hit each other - the passes can't really hit me, and I can't really hit him with my bow while he's flying fast because I'm not THAT pro, so it mostly ends up being a big dodgeathlon until it starts hovering and we can actually fight each other.

21. - Top - End - #1491
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Sorry if it's already been asked, but does anyone know if the quality of an item affects the strength of the enchantments you can put on it?
    "Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Ftagn!" said the cultist.
    "Oh bother," said Pooh.

22. - Top - End - #1492

no, only the soul Gem and any perks you have effect the outcome

23. - Top - End - #1493
    Ogre in the Playground

I have a soultrap bow. I haven't used it yet, but wouldn't the process mean that I have to use the bow to kill a person (not a monster or animal, right?) so I fill one soul gem. Then I can destroy it and put the enchantment on an item more to my liking?
    You have one thing backwards: Normal (purple) soul gems can only trap monsters. You can only trap people (all the PC races) in black soul gems, which will get you in trouble with the authorities.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drager0 View Post
    MY LIFE IS RUINED FOREVER AND IT'S ALL BECAUSE OF YOU, VOLATAR!!!!
    My Twitter
    Awesome Yukari avatar by memnarch.

24. - Top - End - #1494
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Volatar View Post
    You have one thing backwards: Normal (purple) soul gems can only trap monsters. You can only trap people (all the PC races) in black soul gems, which will get you in trouble with the authorities.
    Good to know

25. - Top - End - #1495

I've come to the conclusion that this game can be quite cheap. I've ran into god knows how many clipping issues where I simply can't move whilst on what appeared to be level ground. Once I'm free, I'll find something like a small rock or a tree stump where I was. I'll go over it again just to test and have no problems. Hmm.

Also, enemies wielding two handed weapons don't seem to take damage at all and easily can reduce your health by 50-60% with one hit. I don't understand it. I'll hit a pathing two-handed weapon wielding bandit with a sneak attack, hit him with an ice spear and position myself for the battle. He will have lost maybe 10-20% of his health, at most. My spec is primarily destruction spell damage and one-handed weapon damage; both are improved with perks. He will close in and take me down in two or three strikes, even if I block (not specced for it but I expect some mitigation).

Maybe it's a console issue, but sometimes I'm standing, not sneaking, and cannot move at my maximum speed. No, I'm not encumbered. The game just bugs out and reduces my walking speed. I have to drop into sneak then stand up and, suddenly, I can maneuver again to my full potential. This is REALLY bothersome when trying to combat multiple enemies and retreating to the best spot to fight them, like a tunnel or doorway.

Also, this cinematic death system is absolutely terrible. Let me give you an example of how it punishes the player. I found this Old Orc fellow on the road who is seeking a good death as he is old and old people must die before they become useless. I tell him I will oblige and we fight. I have him down to a shred of health and I'm at around 70-80% health. I go in for the kill with my sword and he one shots me with a cinematic death scene. How random is that? I spent my time kiting and whittling him down with ice spells only to have my reward deprived because of chance? Ridiculous. I've only managed a few since I started to level up one-handed weapons, which is relatively high now, and I certainly don't merit one of these insta-deaths unless the enemy has one foot in the coffin. So why put this in if only the AI can exploit it? I wish I could turn it off.

Anyway I hate reducing difficulty, especially this early in the game. In fact I shouldn't have to. I reviewed my spec and it isn't optimal but it isn't bad. I was able to solo a dragon with ease (much to my surprise) but I can't handle a bandit outlaw with a two-handed sword. How broken is that?

26. - Top - End - #1496
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by polity4life View Post
    I've come to the conclusion that this game can be quite cheap. I've ran into god knows how many clipping issues where I simply can't move whilst on what appeared to be level ground. Once I'm free, I'll find something like a small rock or a tree stump where I was. I'll go over it again just to test and have no problems. Hmm.

Also, enemies wielding two handed weapons don't seem to take damage at all and easily can reduce your health by 50-60% with one hit. I don't understand it. I'll hit a pathing two-handed weapon wielding bandit with a sneak attack, hit him with an ice spear and position myself for the battle. He will have lost maybe 10-20% of his health, at most. My spec is primarily destruction spell damage and one-handed weapon damage; both are improved with perks. He will close in and take me down in two or three strikes, even if I block (not specced for it but I expect some mitigation).

Maybe it's a console issue, but sometimes I'm standing, not sneaking, and cannot move at my maximum speed. No, I'm not encumbered. The game just bugs out and reduces my walking speed. I have to drop into sneak then stand up and, suddenly, I can maneuver again to my full potential. This is REALLY bothersome when trying to combat multiple enemies and retreating to the best spot to fight them, like a tunnel or doorway.

Also, this cinematic death system is absolutely terrible. Let me give you an example of how it punishes the player. I found this Old Orc fellow on the road who is seeking a good death as he is old and old people must die before they become useless. I tell him I will oblige and we fight. I have him down to a shred of health and I'm at around 70-80% health. I go in for the kill with my sword and he one shots me with a cinematic death scene. How random is that? I spent my time kiting and whittling him down with ice spells only to have my reward deprived because of chance? Ridiculous. I've only managed a few since I started to level up one-handed weapons, which is relatively high now, and I certainly don't merit one of these insta-deaths unless the enemy has one foot in the coffin. So why put this in if only the AI can exploit it? I wish I could turn it off.

Anyway I hate reducing difficulty, especially this early in the game. In fact I shouldn't have to. I reviewed my spec and it isn't optimal but it isn't bad. I was able to solo a dragon with ease (much to my surprise) but I can't handle a bandit outlaw with a two-handed sword. How broken is that?
    You are a light armor user aren't you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Drager0 View Post
    MY LIFE IS RUINED FOREVER AND IT'S ALL BECAUSE OF YOU, VOLATAR!!!!
    My Twitter
    Awesome Yukari avatar by memnarch.

27. - Top - End - #1497

Quote Originally Posted by Volatar View Post
    You are a light armor user aren't you?
    Yes, with perk points invested in light armor. I'm presently wearing superior quality elven stuff that I made. I expect to take more damage than someone wearing and specced for heavy as my armor is, well, light. However, I don't expect to be victim to a one-shot from someone well with in my capability of killing who is actually weaker than things I can kill with relative ease. I especially don't expect a mook wearing only fur armor without any enchanted gear to shrug off my enhanced destruction magic attacks and my enhanced one-handed weapon attacks and bash my skull before the battle even starts.

28. - Top - End - #1498
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by polity4life View Post
    Also, enemies wielding two handed weapons don't seem to take damage at all and easily can reduce your health by 50-60% with one hit. I don't understand it. I'll hit a pathing two-handed weapon wielding bandit with a sneak attack, hit him with an ice spear and position myself for the battle.
    Bandit leaders are listed as some of the hardest enemies to fight, period, on the official forums.

Also, my solution? Rage. As I said before one of my favorite moments from yesterdays gameplay was when my little orc girl sneaked within range of the bandit leader and raged him, and watched him kill all other bandits in the cave. To solo him with a combination of constant flame blasting, one-handed weapon and a companion shooting arrows at him was quite simple after he had killed the damn frost mage for me. Those two tag-teaming made killing him impossible until I came up with that tactic.

29. - Top - End - #1499

New awesome name for Part II!

30. - Top - End - #1500
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Math_Mage View Post

Make it happen.
    I like it.
    ~ZA