New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default drawing of V - Help Needed

Alliteration!

OK, long story short, I started a picture of V*, but there are many things bugging me (which I cannot identify). And I need help to fix it.

If you have any other comments (other than "DUDE, V IS A GUY") please feel free to post them here as well!

Help needed in:
    Spoiler
    Show

Image 4
    • does the neck look awkward?
    • do you feel the arms are too long/large in proportion to the rest of the body?

Image 3
    • Do you think the neck is too thick?
    • Does the whole body (what you can see of it) feel too large in proportion to the head?

Image 2
    • And what background I should use too (right now I'm thinking of fire and smoke in the background: the aftermath of something, burning cottages maybe. But I've never drawn a background for a picture so I'm not sure how to proceed...)

Refer to image 1 (under archives)
    • How do I draw the hem of the robe? Should I just crop it out and run away from my problems?
    • In fact, the hands (currently partially obscured by magic) too, and the sleeves - I know that the way they're positioned right now isn't nice-looking, but can't think of how I should redo them.

Known Bugs:
    Spoiler
    Show

• mouth is off to one side - i'm thinking of leaving it there, makes V more smirky

And I'll probably turn this into a personal art thread thing, once that's done.

Current status:

Archive:
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

alternative idea (flattened the breasts)

*"Dude, V is a GUY": I view V as male as well, though with V's new hairstyle I am leaning towards androgynous again. But females are more enjoyable to draw. (also I can't draw men)
    Last edited by Saeyan; 2010-01-20 at 01:04 AM.

I draw pictures:

(haven't been updated in a while and you can read the comic here)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: drawing of V - Help Needed

Smirky mouth is good. I love the mouth.

The problem that jumps out at me the most is that the face seems too short; try moving the mouth and the chin down, and moving the hairline up.

And yeah, I think the neck could do with being a little narrower. Possibly the whole head needs moving down, because the place the neck joings the shoulders is looking a little odd too.

I think you were going the right direction with the robe hem in #1.
    Last edited by Zanaril; 2010-01-19 at 11:50 AM.
    This post may contain sarcasm.
    DeviantArt

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Very nice, it seems to be coming along fine.

Your apprehension around drawing hands is understandably, they are quite difficult to draw (although I'll always find feet harder - toes are so damn awkward). But, in all honesty, especially since you're working digitally at least get some sketches in their place - if for no other reason than practice. Then you could choose later what to do with them, whether to fade them slightly behind magic or just obscure them partly.

Has a NEW new art thread!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
    "Rule 1: If it doesn't have obvious boobies, it's male."
    - "A Guide to Kara" by Nameless.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Thanks Zan and Kara!

Kara: For the hands my problem is not so much with drawing them, because I have my own hands and a camera for reference, but how to pose them (incl. the arm too) - right now there seems to be some kind of imbalance somehow...

Zan: I'm going to shift the eyes down a bit, and lengthen the chin, and see how it goes. I drew a new sketch on top of the old one - what do you think of the neck?

Will do lines again to see how it goes.

I draw pictures:

(haven't been updated in a while and you can read the comic here)