View Single Post

Thread: My Little Pony Races for D&D 5e

1. - Top - End - #11
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony Races for D&D 5e

Quote Originally Posted by Strill View Post
    I don't agree. For one, Wizards of the Coast's Changeling writeup has at-will shapeshifting. Just use that.
    Oh, they have the ability written up already for a race? I'll have to find that ability then. It's much easier to build off already established mechanics and if it's an at-will shifting then that'll make everyone happier.

Edit: There we go, that does feel a bit better for the shape-shifting ability.

Quote Originally Posted by Strill View Post
    I get where you're coming with this, but I don't think it quite fits unicorns in general. Rather, I think you're describing Twilight specifically.
    The average unicorn simply doesn't have access to spells like that. A typical unicorn has telekinesis, and a little magic related to their special talent.

I think Rarity is a much better example of a more typical Unicorn. For example, the extent of rarity's magic is telekinesis, and detecting gems. For one, Rarity's telekinesis is far stronger than a piddly little Mage Hand. She can juggle five dressmaker's dummies at once. For two, her other magical abilities are very limited and specific, to the point that they might as well be ribbons.

I think it would be better if the race focused more on telekinesis than on a set of spells once per day, because telekinesis is a far more universal trait of unicorns.
    I feel that Telekinesis is a bit too strong to represent the Unicorn's ability. To be able to lift 1000 pounds at 1st level is a pretty significant advantage, and the only unicorns we see that lift that much are Twilight and Rarity. Mage Hand may be much weaker, but it still has a lot of utility with it's 10 pound capacity and it is at will too. The way I see it, Rarity took levels in a spellcasting class to get the Telekinesis spell in order to do her fancy tricks of lifting all that stuff.
    Last edited by DigoDragon; 2015-08-25 at 07:36 AM.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races