Well hello all, I hope I'm not breaking banter protocol by jumping in on this threadwagon, I've never been too good at all that social malarkey.

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
(I was making a joke about how Canadians are always apologetic but honestly given how thiings have been going for me it's super appreciated)
Not to make light of being in a bad place, but this reminds me a lot of when I was in university.

Specifically I had a Chinese friend who got annoyed at the British saying sorry all the time. Of course she was too polite to say this in private, but with the number of times I apologised for it she was almost ready to hit me.

About three years later I achieved ultimate Britishness when I apologised to my bag for tripping over it, a couple of weeks after apologising for turning up exactly on time for a meeting (to the minute, the lecturer was shocked).

Spoiler: Really unfunny stuff
Show
Also, minor note, that Chinese friend was probably the first person I seriously crushed on, and since then I've not had a single crush on somebody of my own nationality to the point it's a running joke with one of my friends.

Now what I originally planned to post before seeing the earlier ones.

I've recently started a new job (as in a month and a bit ago) and my accent has become a recurring joke among my colleagues because I just sound so much more posh than everybody (comes from growing up in the home counties and having speech therapy as a kid but working in central London). It's not bullying or anything, it's just one of those amusing things like them all assuming I'm in a relationship.