View Single Post

Thread: 1001 Homebrew Magic Items

1. - Top - End - #110
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: 1001 Homebrew Magic Items

I just had an idea for a magic item and had to share it here or I would have to run out into the street screaming it.

117) Devil's Advocate (name is work in progress)
    A wand/staff that can be used once per (year, month, ???)
    As an action, anyone can use the Devil's Advocate to deal XdY damage to target creature within short range. The wielder of the Devil's Advocate is dealt X*dY* damage in order to activate the item. X is the associated creature's number of hitdice and Y is the hitdice type. The * numbers are for/from the creature activating the item.
    A commoner carrying this can deal 13d12 damage to a Dragon and take 1d8 damage himself. If the caster hits 0 hitpoints, they immediately die and can only be revived with a wish (or DM's choice of resurrection quest).
    I do not plan on ever putting this in a game unless my players reach crazy high levels and I may gift this to them as the entire reward for killing a big boss, or just found drop it in an abandoned shack to see what they do with it.

I have no idea if there is something of this nature out there already but it came to mind and I had to write it down.
    I feel this could be something one would get from a deck of many things as well.
    The whole Wand/Staff debacle could probably be a way to determine how powerful it is. Wand is 1 use or 1/year and staff is 1/month type thing. I also had thought that the damage dealt could be the number of days until it could be used again, to keep it from not being used ever and to trick players into allow the chance of using it on something magic'd to look terrifying that is actually a mouse.

Feel free to give feedback, or ignore. I probably won't be on here again for a month or more anyways.
    (edit: forgot to number it)
    Last edited by Raucous; 2018-10-03 at 05:46 PM.